Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
HARDEST kong to ESCAPE from
This poll is closed.
Donkey Kong 8 4.88%
Diddy Kong 3 1.83%
Dixie Kong 8 4.88%
Funky Kong 49 29.88%
Chunky Kong 8 4.88%
Bluster Kong 5 3.05%
Lanky Kong (demanded by Cheetah) 53 32.32%
Max Castillo 6 3.66%
Billy Mitchell 18 10.98%
Steve Wiebe 6 3.66%
Total: 164 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

rox
Sep 7, 2016

LIVE now! starting in 10 MINUTES

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Vermain posted:

i'm sure i've mentioned it before, but the WC3 modding scene, at least pre-reforged, managed some insane stuff thanks to advances in .dll injection and a couple decades of experience. someone made a legit platform fighter out of the engine, which is a bonkers proof of concept for something as clunky and limited as WC3 is

i sadly have to be more judicious with my time nowadays but i spent maybe half a year tinkering on making a tactical turn-based module for NWN2 and managed to eke out a decent proof of concept, but the return on investment for something that massive just wasn't worth it. i have sincere admiration for anyone with the drive to go HAM on gamedev for limited platforms like that

Was the mod scene for 2 any good? That's right around when I dipped out of PC gaming.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

stev posted:

I just searched 'Dreams' on YouTube and got nothing about the game, and searched 'Dreams game' and had to scroll for a few trailers and nothing else. Even 'Dreams Mediamolecule' only gives you official videos - you'd think there'd be millions of amazing videos showing off the cool games people made. What gives?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3ywicffOj4

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The best thing about the ME3 Citadel DLC is it goes "Here, have the Mass Effect 1 gun. It works on Mass Effect 1 ammo rules and makes the Mass Effect 1 sound when it overheats. It's also just incredibly good"

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i just had a really terrible session of tekken and lost every match except one and lost all of my points and i dont really have anyone else to tell but i feel really really bad about this whole endeavor

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Rank is not real... Don't give up. Fight with honor

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I guess I'm glad that I have the "lab monster" brain which means I have fun grinding the same patterns into my muscle memory for hours lol... Playing more than three ranked matches in a row gets me too anxious and I have to hit the eject button after

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

I hate being sick. Like many dudes I turn into a huge whiny baby. Just sucks shivering and not being able to keep much down and being sleepy constantly.

And then you pay $120 to the American healthcare system so the doctor can take 5 minutes to say “yeah it’s a virus just sleep it off.”

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

BurningBeard posted:

Games like Dreams are always going to be doomed to fail because most people don’t want to accept the fact that creating anything is a long-term process, hard, will expose your own incompetence at every stage, and can’t be meaningfully circumvented. Like you can give people the best tools and it won’t matter because people have to have the mindset that imperfect is fine, creating is hard, blah blah blah.
the creating part isn't the issue, as has been mentioned, there's been a lot of amazing creations made in Dreams. the problem is that the userbase is ONLY creators, because Sony never thought to make a free Dream Player that could run people's Dreams. instead there was a demo that cycled through a curated 'rotating' list of mostly Mm dreams. really loving stupid

the game had 2 million registered users (not amazing but an OK amount of sales for what is a difficult pitch), but only 800 active users as of this month. it's just the creators, making stuff that is only seen and played by other creators, so nothing gets the visibility it needs

i remember when Mm said they were considering allowing people to charge for their creations. lol. everyone would've gotten maybe 5 cents out of it had that been instituted

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Kerrzhe posted:

i just had a really terrible session of tekken and lost every match except one and lost all of my points and i dont really have anyone else to tell but i feel really really bad about this whole endeavor

Tekken 7 is a really tough game competitively between everyone left playing it being evo champions, and the netcode is from the 90s.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

The 7th Guest posted:

the creating part isn't the issue, as has been mentioned, there's been a lot of amazing creations made in Dreams. the problem is that the userbase is ONLY creators, because Sony never thought to make a free Dream Player that could run people's Dreams. instead there was a demo that cycled through a curated 'rotating' list of mostly Mm dreams. really loving stupid

the game had 2 million registered users (not amazing but an OK amount of sales for what is a difficult pitch), but only 800 active users as of this month. it's just the creators, making stuff that is only seen and played by other creators, so nothing gets the visibility it needs

i remember when Mm said they were considering allowing people to charge for their creations. lol. everyone would've gotten maybe 5 cents out of it had that been instituted

Man that is awful on all counts. I still think a built in incentive structure would help though. Not a financial one mind. Just a closed reward loop. Either way, sad day. I'm sure that game was a revelation for some folks. Sad to see it die.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm way behind on this:

Was ghostwire Tokyo SPOOKY at all?

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I was shocked at how badly I play tekken 7. like a ghost who’s never seen a video game before took over my body and demanded to see King get beat up by various hunks and babes.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Shinjobi posted:

I'm way behind on this:

I've played the first few hours, and as someone who can't handle horror at all it's definitely not scary. Plenty of spooky imagery but it's largely about throwing cool spirit powers at funky looking demon ghosts.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i don't want the joke to get stretched out too much but i'd kill for like, 5-6 peppino animated shorts

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Last night in Chronotrigger I got to the Guru of Woe boss battle. It was quite tense and fun though - only took me two tries.

So far the most tense was going up against Magus at the end of act 1. That was utterly edge of my seat stuff with figuring out how to do the correct magics when needed!

I am now about to enter The Mammon Machine, having fought my way past all the floaty eyeball beasts It was a very busy two hours!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Jay Rust posted:

He's a "can't handle watching black & white movies" millennial. How I hate him!

woodchipper!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

VideoGames posted:

Last night in Chronotrigger I got to the Guru of Woe boss battle. It was quite tense and fun though - only took me two tries.

So far the most tense was going up against Magus at the end of act 1. That was utterly edge of my seat stuff with figuring out how to do the correct magics when needed!

I am now about to enter The Mammon Machine, having fought my way past all the floaty eyeball beasts It was a very busy two hours!

I have never been so happy for Factions to interrupt your Tuesday stream as I was catching up yesterday to see you stop right at the perfect spot.

Can't wait for Friday.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Shinjobi posted:

I'm way behind on this:

It's more about the aesthetic and designs. I'm not easily spooked but wouldn't call it an overly spooky game. The game is gorgeous and the designs of enemies are really cool. They really nailed the extremely uncanny vibe and hostility the enemies have for you, it's very cool.

For instance, when you get the melee core execution, each individual enemy you meet in the game and can do it on has a unique animation of trying to reach out and stop you. Some are... pretty chilling imo.

Anyway thanks for the reminder that I need to reinstall it and do a run on the hardest difficulty to check out the new content.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
My computer crashed from overheating while playing CK2 and now my save is broken :negative:

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

:smithcloud: Any other saves or backups, or was this an ironman save of some sort? Either way that's as disheartening as sighting your own personal comet :(

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
It was an iron man :cripes:

So much for the only video game my brain wants to play at the moment :shepface:

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

stev posted:

I just searched 'Dreams' on YouTube and got nothing about the game, and searched 'Dreams game' and had to scroll for a few trailers and nothing else. Even 'Dreams Mediamolecule' only gives you official videos - you'd think there'd be millions of amazing videos showing off the cool games people made. What gives?

"dreams ps4" and "dreams creations" seems to give a lot

it was really popular for a short time, but as others have said, it's hard making bigger experiences so everything is just bitesize

ymgve fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Apr 12, 2023

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Rarity posted:

My computer crashed from overheating while playing CK2 and now my save is broken :negative:

I am really sorry to hear that. No steam cloud stuff to help out?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Time to try ck3

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I figured I'd replay Warcraft 3 but turns out Battle.net won't let me log in even with a new password :toot:

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

we never should've forced lightning into sand

e:

Rarity posted:

It was an iron man :cripes:

So much for the only video game my brain wants to play at the moment :shepface:

actually, are you able to use workshop content? a save editor like https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=588016554 will probably ruin any chance at getting chievos on that run but it might get it back to a playable state

I doubt it'll make it *less* playable at least :shrug:

dervival fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Apr 12, 2023

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Pentagon leak traced to video game chat group users arguing over war in Ukraine

they do not, of course, state which video game or which discord it is, but i think we of the something awful video game forums can probably hazard a guess

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

While I would scoff at people being dumb enough to leak top secret documents about an ongoing war, the fact that it was to win an argument on the internet fully justifies them to me.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Vermain posted:

they do not, of course, state which video game or which discord it is, but i think we of the something awful video game forums can probably hazard a guess

A NYT article on the subject had some quotes from a guy who wrote a book about something awful and 4chan, that was something to see

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Gaius Marius posted:

While I would scoff at people being dumb enough to leak top secret documents about an ongoing war, the fact that it was to win an argument on the internet fully justifies them to me.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

This blueprint and spec sheet prove that oshawott is the cutest pokemon

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Vermain posted:

It's not warthunder for once. The provenance goes through multiple discords but it seems like it originally leaked in a racism server and then got copied to a Minecraft server

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

This blueprint and spec sheet prove that oshawott is the cutest pokemon

this is like saying here's proof the sky is blue. everyone knows it!

https://i.imgur.com/qS3qWV9.gifv

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Waffleman_ posted:

The best thing about the ME3 Citadel DLC is it goes "Here, have the Mass Effect 1 gun. It works on Mass Effect 1 ammo rules and makes the Mass Effect 1 sound when it overheats. It's also just incredibly good"

They eventually put a couple of them into multiplayer too

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

VostokProgram posted:

It's not warthunder for once. The provenance goes through multiple discords but it seems like it originally leaked in a racism server and then got copied to a Minecraft server

Racism server? Like a discord specifically for racists or was it about a videogame or something at some point and snowballed into a racist discord?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Remember how they were shutting down the servers for Ark and making people buy a remaster of it with none of the DLC for 50 dollars as a glorified Ark 2 pre-order bonus?

Well, they listened to feedback and now you have to buy the remaster with some of the DLC and no Ark 2 for 60 dollars.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

TheWorldsaStage posted:

A NYT article on the subject had some quotes from a guy who wrote a book about something awful and 4chan, that was something to see

Okay so we can confirm it was somethingawful that they were looking at then lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
On one hand that sucks, on the other that's what you get for playing Ark after all their other heel turns and it always being a mess of a program all along and even enabling a 2