Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Tighclops posted:

I love how they never show you Worf as a proto-Klingon in full view so you never really get a good look at him, making that one of the more menacing aliens in Star Trek imo.

What always creeped me out about the proto-Klingon is like, the palps? Klingons had palps at some point in their genetic history? Do they have vestigial palps somewhere, now? Is that what Worf is always doing with his jaw while superiors dress him down?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Brawnfire posted:

What always creeped me out about the proto-Klingon is like, the palps? Klingons had palps at some point in their genetic history? Do they have vestigial palps somewhere, now? Is that what Worf is always doing with his jaw while superiors dress him down?

I dunno, but I've always assumed that the foreheads are like those headbutting dinosaurs and Worf is always having to tamp down the instinct to headbutt Riker every time he sees him with Troi.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

It makes sense. I imagine two Klingons with their foreheads locked together, pacing in tight circles and growling. The bat'leth is but a distant echo.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Brawnfire posted:

It makes sense. I imagine two Klingons with their foreheads locked together, pacing in tight circles and growling. The bat'leth is but a distant echo.

What is a bat'leth but a forehead persevering?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Brawnfire posted:

What always creeped me out about the proto-Klingon is like, the palps? Klingons had palps at some point in their genetic history?

So do we

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Ranted a lot about Picard's plotting issues, but goddamn it almost brought a tear to my eye hearing Majel Barrett as the Enterprise D's computer again. It was also cool that they got Alice Krige back again.

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

:capitalism::dehumanize:

Tighclops posted:

love to hear that the dying grasp of positive 70's futurism ends with boomers screaming

:emptyquote:

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

jeeves posted:

The Borg ever being more than one mysterious huge cube was a mistake.

A single cube that just gets bigger the more it assimilates

Starfleet is forced to intervene when it can no longer enter solar systems without bumping into everything and getting planets stuck in orbit around it

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Gnome de plume posted:

A single cube that just gets bigger the more it assimilates

Starfleet is forced to intervene when it can no longer enter solar systems without bumping into everything and getting planets stuck in orbit around it

The Borg Katamari

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

There was an EU book that had a cube that was able to just absorb ships into it

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

FlamingLiberal posted:

There was an EU book that had a cube that was able to just absorb ships into it

This honestly makes the most sense of anything, the Borg wouldn't want to destroy what they could use. Disable the ship, tractor beam it in, add its distinctiveness to your own. It also gives a reason why cubes are covered in greebling, each ship it eats adds another layer.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

This honestly makes the most sense of anything, the Borg wouldn't want to destroy what they could use. Disable the ship, tractor beam it in, add its distinctiveness to your own. It also gives a reason why cubes are covered in greebling, each ship it eats adds another layer.

That's just the LDS Pakleds

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Gaz-L posted:

That's just the LDS Pakleds

They probably stole the idea!

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

https://twitter.com/MikeMcMahanTM/status/1646979438125666304

Hallmark does zero research don't they?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Why? That looks pretty okay for a Christmas ornament.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Watching Flesh and Blood, the episode where they come across the hirogen death holodeck and the part where the tech is raving about how the holodeck malfunctioned and the holograms took control of the system and disabled the safety protocols and I'm just thinking, "Yup, that'll happen"

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Holy poo poo I want this.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

CainFortea posted:

Hallmark does zero research don't they?

swickles posted:

Holy poo poo I want this.

No I think they did research

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
Borg Lincoln. Why not.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Prurient Squid posted:

Borg Lincoln. Why not.

Speaking of Lincoln, I've been sort of hoovering up the crumbs between TOS's best episodes and am nearly at the end of the third season, which means I finally watched...

3-22 The Savage Curtain
While investigating an inhospitable planet with a surface of lava, the Enterprise crew is contacted by... Abraham Lincoln. You know, I skipped this episode before, because the premise seemed so stupid. I see now that I was wrong. There's an undeniable beauty in the way this episode goes “gently caress you, this is Abraham Lincoln. Eat poo poo.” the moment he appears on the viewscreen. The premise is one that has probably been done a dozen times on TOS – aliens want to observe the morality of man in action, by forcing them to fight – but the character of Lincoln ends up being bizarrely compelling as he teams up with Kirk and Spock to face off with four randomly recreated bad guys. The lava-rock creature that tries to make them fight is also one of the most impressive aliens I've seen realized on TOS. Highly strange but enjoyable.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

davidspackage posted:

Speaking of Lincoln, I've been sort of hoovering up the crumbs between TOS's best episodes and am nearly at the end of the third season, which means I finally watched...

3-22 The Savage Curtain
While investigating an inhospitable planet with a surface of lava, the Enterprise crew is contacted by... Abraham Lincoln. You know, I skipped this episode before, because the premise seemed so stupid. I see now that I was wrong. There's an undeniable beauty in the way this episode goes “gently caress you, this is Abraham Lincoln. Eat poo poo.” the moment he appears on the viewscreen. The premise is one that has probably been done a dozen times on TOS – aliens want to observe the morality of man in action, by forcing them to fight – but the character of Lincoln ends up being bizarrely compelling as he teams up with Kirk and Spock to face off with four randomly recreated bad guys. The lava-rock creature that tries to make them fight is also one of the most impressive aliens I've seen realized on TOS. Highly strange but enjoyable.

Thought the remastered version of the episode, where Kirk shoots Lincoln and shouts "Sic semper Tiberius," was a bit gratuitous.

(One of my favorite throwaway Twisted Toyfare Theatre jokes, especially as it has Kirk shooting Washington crossing the Delaware and not his "dreadful nemesis, that space Lincoln.")

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

davidspackage posted:

3-22 The Savage Curtain

The Lincoln stuff is pretty well done, but ultimately the episode is a poor man's Arena. Unlike Arena, though, there's no point to any of it; the contest just ends.

They were very clearly running out of ideas and fucks to give by that point.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

My biggest question about The Savage Curtain is what the heck that title refers to.

I think the Excalbian said something about the stage being set, so I suppose it's like a theater curtain? I guess? :shrug:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Powered Descent posted:

My biggest question about The Savage Curtain is what the heck that title refers to.

I think the Excalbian said something about the stage being set, so I suppose it's like a theater curtain? I guess? :shrug:

Yeah, it was a theme mostly dropped during rewrites.

From M-A:

quote:

Similarly to "Bread and Circuses", Roddenberry originally intended this episode to be in part a sour commentary on present-day network television. The Excalbians use their staged "dramas" of recreated figures confronting each other as a means of entertainment and education for their population, who all became dependent upon these "stage plays" as their sole means of gaining knowledge and entertain themselves. In Arthur Heinemann's later script version and Fred Freiberger and Arthur Singer's staff rewrites this angle was mostly abandoned, except for a few lines such as Yarnek claiming that "countless who live on that planet are watching". (These Are the Voyages: TOS Season Three, p. 594)

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Sometimes the explanations for the titles are so massively flimsy. Like how "Catspaw" supposedly refers to mind-controlled Sulu and Scotty becoming the aliens' catspaws, even though it's clearly a nonsensical reference to the fact there's a giant black housecat terrorizing Kirk, Spock and Bones.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Khanstant posted:

If you don't sometimes watch terrible things you hate, how can you truly appreciate good things you can like?

It reminds me of a quote I heard a while ago, "We live in the golden age of high-quality content choices. I don't have time for mediocrity."

Yet, here I am.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
I definitely have time for mediocrity, or even outright crap if it's charming enough

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Honestly sometimes I prefer charming crap over expertly written masterpieces. Like yes I recognize something is excellent, but my brain just wants to watch utter nonsense in the moment.

But the nonsense has to be fun and have a heart.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

It's curious that in some sense nonsense has to make sense to be good nonsense, or at least pass the scent test. Most nonsense doesn't make sense and I'm sensitive to that, if that makes sense. Just my two cents.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

That makes sense. I think.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Brawnfire posted:

It's curious that in some sense nonsense has to make sense to be good nonsense, or at least pass the scent test. Most nonsense doesn't make sense and I'm sensitive to that, if that makes sense. Just my two cents.
Creating something that is deliberately goofy fun stuff, or sincere but corny, is different from just slapping poo poo together with no budget and maybe some technical gloss (or in the case of things like Trek properties, fanservice) on top.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

A lot of big dick prestige stuff is either stuck up its own rear end, heartless, or doesn't really have anything to say imho

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
We really need a better word than "prestige" for that kind of lazy show writing. Prestige sounds like a compliment they don't deserve for failing to write a season of television and instead writing .75 of an episode stretched out into season.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Feldegast42 posted:

A lot of big dick prestige stuff is either stuck up its own rear end, heartless, or doesn't really have anything to say imho

:hmmyes:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Me when I wake up on 3/59

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
Both Sub Rosa and Threshold are bad episodes but they are very fun and therefore good.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Both Sub Rosa and Threshold are bad episodes but they are very fun and therefore good.

:yeah:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

They are making a Section 31 film with Michelle Yeoh.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I wish they wouldn't. That's not a knock on Yeoh, but the S31 stuff seems pretty played out by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

As long as Michell Yeoh gets to just ham it up for an hour or so I am down.