Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Can there possibly be a brand name more cringy than "Republic of Gamers"?

Anyway, The device seems to be Zen 4 RDNA3 based, and I doubt they've reinvented the wheel. That should be out of the box compatible with Linux. Might need to add the PCI ID of the device and recompile the kernel, nothing some modders can't figure out in an afternoon.

The interesting question is all the other weirdo hardware, especially wifi. Wifi chips are notoriously hot garbage unless you choose from like two vendors who upstream their drivers.

Antigravitas fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Apr 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I like Asus overall but that Republic of Gamers branding is so dated these days.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
What effect will lack of pre-compiled shaders have on the Asus machine? I'm not super well-versed in Deckology but I thought a lot of the loading and performance benefits were from shared shaders sets because everyone is using and playing on the same hardware.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
That alleviates some stutter the first time the driver encounters a specific shader program. Steam can share precompiled shaders if many people use the same combination of mesa version and graphics card.

It helps, but it's not an incredible killer feature. In most games you just get some uneven fps on first run.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Annath posted:

I've been a big Gundam since I was a kid.

drat lol must be hard to find clothes and poo poo

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Anyone try playing Gloomhaven on the deck? Store page says it has controller support and I’m wondering how it plays.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
I'm not sure about performance, but I had terrible time with the Gloomhaven controller layout ~a month ago.

Ymmv, but if I was going to install it on Deck I would definitely be looking at trackpad + custom key assignments.

ed: ProtobDB has a couple reports from people running the game, so probably runs well enough

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Nancy posted:

I'm not sure about performance, but I had terrible time with the Gloomhaven controller layout ~a month ago.

Ymmv, but if I was going to install it on Deck I would definitely be looking at trackpad + custom key assignments.

ed: ProtobDB has a couple reports from people running the game, so probably runs well enough

Thanks. Maybe when the console versions come out the controls won’t suck.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Science_enthusiast posted:

Bumhead could you some details as to the tinker steps you did take? I couldnt get it running anything close to 40 without having the resolution so low that the crosshair dissapeared?

I followed this guide;

https://greatondeck.net/resident-evil-4-remake-on-steam-deck/

However that was the first performance guide I found. It worked great for me, but there might be more up to date guides out there now that can squeeze even better performance and quality.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Annath posted:

What's that?

It's a very distinctive color pallette. I've been a big Gundam since I was a kid. Although I've never done any of the models.

A paint wash for lining gundams.

(Do not actually paint your deck)

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Absolutely paint your deck

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Never paint a deck, you need to stain them

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Paint your Deck only after you painted and used your gamepad for a while.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

History Comes Inside! posted:

Never paint a deck, you need to stain them

Don't forget to sand first!

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

simply hydro dip your deck

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
tie dying is for the pros

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

jokes posted:

If MS just released a Windows gaming mode that turned everything but the video game poo poo off, it would probably kill the Deck.

Knowing how Windows is, it'd probably just kill the computer that attempts to run it.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Apr 18, 2023

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Steam deck was just delightful on the plane. Caught up on a couple tv shows via plex, played a bunch of vampire survivors, spider man remastered and ace combat 7. A+.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

RandolphCarter posted:

Thanks. Maybe when the console versions come out the controls won’t suck.

you know how sometimes they port a game to console and they don't backport the controller support to pc?

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Mescal posted:

you know how sometimes they port a game to console and they don't backport the controller support to pc?

Let a man dream :negative:

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Mescal posted:

I'm emulating the switch version of D3 because Blizzard was this dumb

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/wiki/Changelog proton 8 is out

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Fix PooShooter: Toilet Invaders starting to a black screen.

gently caress yes

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Only fix that matters:

valve posted:

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Tiny Timbs posted:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
That would be an incredible thread title

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
that was somehow the first thing i noticed too

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Gonna paint my Steam Deck.

Gonna paint it fine.

Gonna use oil based paint.

Because that vent is fine.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I'm not trying to go out of my way to rebuy on Steam all the indie games I have on Switch, but there's just some that have real performance issues and the price is right.

The worst is the Bloodstained save I have on Switch that I'm halfway through--too invested to restart but man it runs like rear end there.
So I picked up Bloodstained for Steam a while back in one of the Humble Bundles and finally got around to moving my Switch save file over since I'm about halfway through. Holy crap it runs so much better on the Deck. I might finish it!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Detective No. 27 posted:

I like Asus overall but that Republic of Gamers branding is so dated these days.

They should rebrand as the "Empire of Gamers," or perhaps the "Kingdom of Gamers." Gamers need a firm hand to guide their nation to victory. Enough of this namby-pamby "Republic" nonsense.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Annath posted:

I finally got my Gundam Edition Skin for my Steam Deck, and spent like 90 minutes last night applying it.

It was *far* more complicated than dBrand skins... And I made quite a few errors: there are uneven gaps between the decals, and some creases that wouldn't go away even with judicious application of hair dryer heat.

I was actually pretty down on myself about it when I finished last night, because the guy applying it in the guide video I watched did an absolutely perfect job with no apparent errors.

But, after sleeping on it, it's not terrible at all. You probably wouldn't notice the issues if you weren't looking for them.

Only 2 things I'm still unsure about :

1. How the glossy finish of the decals will feel over longer play sessions.

2. The cutouts for the ABXY buttons aren't lined up perfectly, and as a result there was some sticking on the B button. I did a very small trim job with a (very dull as it turned out) Exacto Knife, and it doesn't appear to be sticking, but it's still worrisome.

The end result:

This looks goddamn amazing. I'm very tempted to get that decal and ask my wife to apply it for me - she is great at that kind of thing and I am terrible at it so that's the possible way it'll get applied to my deck without being a mangled, wrinkly mess.

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Bullshit, that's last year's Fall collection!

RandolphCarter posted:

Anyone try playing Gloomhaven on the deck? Store page says it has controller support and I’m wondering how it plays.

I've played a bunch. The controls are awkward but workable. The only really weird thing is it won't let you use the buttons to lose a card to avoid damage, you have to use the track pads. There's a couple of other weird situations like that but that was the one that got me in the beginning.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

deong posted:

Is this so you can find it in the dark easier? Or is there something like the xbox motion camera?

No they're just glossy almost metallic looking stickers.

It's a couple of these. They look nicer irl.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Apr 18, 2023

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

jokes posted:

If MS just released a Windows gaming mode that turned everything but the video game poo poo off, it would probably kill the Deck.

A big if, Microsoft can't even rid themselves of system management UIs from 20 years ago. Creating another shell on top of all the existing cruft would be a lot of work and if at any point you need to drop to desktop to perform routine maintenance (drivers, updates), it would negate much of the point.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
MS can't even release a Windows desktop mode without decades of legacy poo poo

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
FYI% Moonlighter is on Sale in Steam Germany, should be other regions, too.
The game is wonderful on Deck and I have put several hours into it. Costs you 3 € right now, a bit more if you want the DLC as well.

In this pixel art game you are a merchant who delves into randomized dungeons, kinda reminiscent of the Isaac-games, and kill monsters for loot. Then you sell said loot in your shop to make money and improve your store, upgrade weapons etc.
Ideal for shorter burst of gaming.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Hopper posted:

FYI% Moonlighter is on Sale in Steam Germany, should be other regions, too.
The game is wonderful on Deck and I have put several hours into it. Costs you 3 € right now, a bit more if you want the DLC as well.

In this pixel art game you are a merchant who delves into randomized dungeons, kinda reminiscent of the Isaac-games, and kill monsters for loot. Then you sell said loot in your shop to make money and improve your store, upgrade weapons etc.
Ideal for shorter burst of gaming.

I played through it on switch, it's a pretty fun game. I don't know that the dlc is worth it.

ottergauze
Dec 11, 2022

Antigravitas posted:

Can there possibly be a brand name more cringy than "Republic of Gamers"?

They tend to abbreviate it to ROG now more than not, which is preferable.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
is it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Suburban Dad posted:

I played through it on switch, it's a pretty fun game. I don't know that the dlc is worth it.

Me neither, I literally just bought the DLC with money from card sales, because it was 1.50 or something. But I figured I'd mention it because there is a "complete edition" and the individual DLC on sale as well. Could be good, or not, it adds another dungeon and armor set I believe.