Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

SourKraut posted:

For $300/night, I'm expecting Embassy Suites with free lovely breakfast each morning

150-200 a night is starting to become standard for even shithole motels, and more if there is anything at all going on within 20 miles of it.

Meanwhile I was able to roll up to a hostel in London and Paris in 2016 and pay a cool 50 bux at most for a bed, and even sharing a room with randos was more pleasant than a Motel 6 here, which charged me double that for being sort of near Santa Barbara, next to the highway and a parking lot where diesel truck and subwoofer blasters would go in and out all night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Jaxyon posted:

I can book the Langham in Pasadena tonight for like $350 :shrug:

fair point, though the chicago langham is 700 bucks a night this week so idk

Im actually kind of surprised at those prices

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Paradoxish posted:

I know, I'm just incredibly sick of "the economy is strong" followed immediately by "but people need to stretch $1400 over three years to not die"

Just think of it as clergy of a money religion spouting off gospel that is inherantly self contradictory or impossible yet must be adhered to dogmatically by the faithful. A divine act if you will, like an everburning bush.

If you imagine "economic indicators" as being clergy interpreting the word of God as they personally best see fit (and thus not necessarily in consensus) then its kind of like that.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

skooma512 posted:

150-200 a night is starting to become standard for even shithole motels, and more if there is anything at all going on within 20 miles of it.

Meanwhile I was able to roll up to a hostel in London and Paris in 2016 and pay a cool 50 bux at most for a bed, and even sharing a room with randos was more pleasant than a Motel 6 here, which charged me double that for being sort of near Santa Barbara, next to the highway and a parking lot where diesel truck and subwoofer blasters would go in and out all night.

the fact that so much of american travel is done for work and not for pleasure certainly has to be a key factor in lack of affordable road motels these days right?

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Twerk from Home posted:

I'm going to plug Freetaxusa again because they don't charge one red cent and I've been using them happily for years.

poo poo wish I had known

oh well

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
also tuesday in april is probably a great day to get good deals on hotels

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Twerk from Home posted:

I'm going to plug Freetaxusa again because they don't charge one red cent and I've been using them happily for years.

state filing costs money but it's definitely the best option for filing on your own.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

skooma512 posted:

yeah last time I drove cross country I paid about $100 a night for a lovely hotel room in a town that basically is just a couple gas stations a couple hotels and a cracker barrel

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
You can get the Biltmore in DTLA for $100 a night and that's the place that is "luxury hotel" in every movie you've ever seen.

But meh, not dying on this hill, poo poo is getting more expensive either way.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
How much to have Donald Duck as the officiant?

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Jaxyon posted:

You can get the Biltmore in DTLA for $100 a night and that's the place that is "luxury hotel" in every movie you've ever seen.

But meh, not dying on this hill, poo poo is getting more expensive either way.

just because 1 or 2 random hotels across the country have deals or whatever when overall their going up as a whole doesn't mean anything

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

A Bakers Cousin posted:

the fact that so much of american travel is done for work and not for pleasure certainly has to be a key factor in lack of affordable road motels these days right?

I figure like someone said regarding wedding venues last page, it's because they can.

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord

PostNouveau posted:

Unfortunately Donald Duck can not officiate your wedding or be an active part of your wedding party. However, he and others can make appearances at your wedding. If you want a character to appear at your Disney Fairytale Wedding, budget approximately $2500-$7000 depending on who, and how many characters you’d like to appear.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
My wedding was very expensive and I don’t regret it at all. We had the best time at an amazing place in Athens with 230 friends and family from all over the world. I would do it all over again but I can’t imagine how expensive it would be now for the same wedding. The only reason why we spent so much was to have an amazing time with friends and family, it was so worth it.

A comparable wedding would have cost double in the US and wouldn’t have been as nice or memorable imo.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

skooma512 posted:

My fiance's car is breaking down. It's a Nissan so of course it is.

Now we have to figure out how to get her another with prices totally inflated and no alternative :smith: I hate this place so much.

Is it legitimately failing in a way that's not worth repairing? Like Nissans yeah lol, but if it's not the transmission (it's the CVT isn't it) or something internal with the engine then outright replacing it right now seems like a crazy bad idea.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Paradoxish posted:

Is it legitimately failing in a way that's not worth repairing? Like Nissans yeah lol, but if it's not the transmission (it's the CVT isn't it) or something internal with the engine then outright replacing it right now seems like a crazy bad idea.

The catalytic converter, while still present, is failing and needs a replacement. The quotes for these are like, 2000 bucks last we checked lol. It's been in and out of the shop for 2 years and the only reason it took this long is because she could WFH, but they started to make her go back out. It was in the shop 2 weeks ago and the problems just keep coming back.

It also might very well be related to the transmission as well.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Malleum posted:

Unfortunately Donald Duck can not officiate your wedding or be an active part of your wedding party. However, he and others can make appearances at your wedding. If you want a character to appear at your Disney Fairytale Wedding, budget approximately $2500-$7000 depending on who, and how many characters you’d like to appear.

I wonder what the $2,500 cheapo character package gets you.

Look everyone, Kit Fitso is at my wedding

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

PostNouveau posted:

I wonder what the $2,500 cheapo character package gets you.

Look everyone, Kit Fitso is at my wedding

Elan Sleazebaggano is your only option in the Toilet Tier, sorry

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

FistEnergy posted:

Elan Sleazebaggano is your only option in the Toilet Tier, sorry

The sleazebag who sells death sticks is named Elan Sleazebaggano

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

FlapYoJacks posted:

I stapled my current taxes to the giant pile of previous taxes going back 8 years now. Every year I mail the IRS the giant pile and every year they ignore me because they owe me $15,000~.

I am sure if I owed them $15,000~ they would be VERY responsive.

What??

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

SpaceCadetBob posted:

lol, pretty sure the court knows that reversing this would open pandora’s box on capital. not happening.

https://twitter.com/CNNPolitics/status/1648400519298260999?s=20

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

drat I guess I'm going to pretend to be christian soni never work Sunday again.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Turtle Sandbox posted:

drat I guess I'm going to pretend to be christian soni never work Sunday again.

if you believe hard enough in all three major abrahamic religion, every weekend is a three day weekend!

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

Cuttlefush posted:

yeah nobody should be calling it ai except as a shorthand because it's easy to say and most people know what you mean. people treating it like it's actual general artificial intelligence are dumb. it's a toy to gently caress with.

capital is frothing at the mouth for a magical inscrutable expert box that lets them justify racism and harassment and worker abuse and union-busting. it has nothing to do with factual accuracy or any other objective measure, they want a 3rd party vendor-provided plausible deniability appliance. that’s the end game here, an escape hatch for liability when corporations do evil poo poo

sorry employee who tried to unionize, but the hr system determined you’re underperforming using proprietary metrics and you’re fired now. you can sue but the courts will happily nod along and dismiss your case as soon as the company’s lawyer explains that the computer simply can’t be biased, it’s best of breed and standards based!!

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

And at least for generative stuff, Capital is realizing in some sectors it is useless at best, and actively a problem for them.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

this is the same SC that said native Americans cannot use peyote in ceremonies

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
It happened!
https://twitter.com/MorePerfectUS/status/1648316722418442243?t=VRtw5QKkkMVmDo5TiE5TWg&s=19

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

iowa thank you

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

maybe that will get these drat kids off the TikTok and iPad

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Huge win for the human trafficking community!

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

Pussy Quipped posted:

maybe that will get these drat kids off the TikTok and iPad

Applebees boomer: I’ve been waiting for these drat boneless wings for 11 minutes!! *leaves a Christian tip of $1.25*

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Vox Nihili posted:

Pro life and pro child. 🙌

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Consolidated Ed posted:

Applebees boomer: I’ve been waiting for these drat boneless wings for 11 minutes!! *leaves a Christian tip of $1.25*

leaves a piece of paper telling you to praise christ

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Vox Nihili posted:

now they will pay those kids above the table.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Oh sorry I can’t work on call this weekend I don’t work on shabbos.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

PostNouveau posted:

Sadly, it wouldn't be official - he's a quack after all.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

euphronius posted:

this is the same SC that said native Americans cannot use peyote in ceremonies

lol so what? do you think they give a poo poo about the contradiction?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
they're untouchable lawpriests what the gently caress are you going to do about it

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Glumwheels posted:

My wedding was very expensive and I don’t regret it at all. We had the best time at an amazing place in Athens with 230 friends and family from all over the world. I would do it all over again but I can’t imagine how expensive it would be now for the same wedding. The only reason why we spent so much was to have an amazing time with friends and family, it was so worth it.

A comparable wedding would have cost double in the US and wouldn’t have been as nice or memorable imo.

Glumwheels posted:

i think the distinction here is some spend on guests and some spend on themselves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Jaxyon posted:

they're untouchable lawpriests what the gently caress are you going to do about it

Hell, John Marshall created the power unilaterally in Marbury v. Madison!