Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Paradoxish posted:

I like how the insanity of 2020 obscures all the graphs that look as bad as or worse than 2008.

If I'm reading it right, WARN notices have surpassed '08

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
i've been thinking about velocity of money lately and why it's needed. supposedly its a cause for inflation yet at the same time it's at an all time low. what gives?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

RadiRoot posted:

i've been thinking about velocity of money lately and why it's needed. supposedly its a cause for inflation yet at the same time it's at an all time low. what gives?

like shooting it out of a t-shirt cannon? or one of those "make it rain" guns?

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

anonumos posted:

It's common sense that grocery stores and suppliers are running numbers. Every frozen pizza brand has shrunk significantly. Large looks like a pre-pandemic small and that's the only size they have besides personal pan pizzas. Can't get most cereals in large boxes anymore. Cheap 30lb bags of dog food are over $20 now. All of the frozen fish sticks, chicken nuggets, Hot pockets, tator tots and stuff for my kids is both up on price and down on size. We're being robbed, while profits rise.

none of this is true at costco fwiw

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

E:^^ Costco prices have gone up too though

Mr Hootington posted:

Not enough pixels but I think that's right

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Mr Hootington posted:

That's also what it looks like to me, but that can't be right because nothing matters and the economy is strong.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Taima posted:

I even think SA might become as popular as it once was; no one else does what we do. It's incredible and I'm tired of people talking poo poo on dead forum

I've joked before about how being a goon is like being a bargain basement Freemason, and it remains true. The incompetence of pursuing a profit motive, substituted instead for the ideological drive to explain how stupid the internet makes you, has sustained itself from the initial burnout of our founder and into a sustainable second generation of leadership, which is where most organizations falter.

The Brigham Young/David Miscavige style sustain-and-expand leadership of Jeff will allow the organization to continue onwards into the future, where so many others flameout in their attempts to secure more funds for Goldbelly cookies and fake spinal surgery

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Paradoxish posted:

I like how the insanity of 2020 obscures all the graphs that look as bad as or worse than 2008.

And 2001 lol

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

RadiRoot posted:

Velocity of money basically mean that workers get paid and they go on and spend it on other things, and those who got the money will go on and spend it toward someone else, and those people get to spend it and so on, so on.

But the rich got all of the money and they're not moving it around at all so now the workers don't have much to spend, and those folks who would had got the money aren't getting much as before and so on. It used to be a factor for inflation in the past, but that's ain't what happening here

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

^^^^^^^ :hai:

RadiRoot posted:

normally velocity of money would be a cause of inflation

but in this case it's just price gouging

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

You just need the money to hit 88 miles per hour and then you can go Back to Deflation!

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
I'm gonna break the Money barrier today

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

I'm gonna break the Money barrier today

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
The issue right now is really mostly energy prices, with some increases from housing and profit taking by retailers.

A lack of oil = higher prices = inflation with some other issues on the side

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 17:04 on Apr 21, 2023

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

NeonPunk posted:

Velocity of money basically mean that workers get paid and they go on and spend it on other things, and those who got the money will go on and spend it toward someone else, and those people get to spend it and so on, so on.

But the rich got all of the money and they're not moving it around at all so now the workers don't have much to spend, and those folks who would had got the money aren't getting much as before and so on. It used to be a factor for inflation in the past, but that's ain't what happening here

It's sort of like the circulatory system, where, while you might think you want blood flowing freely throughout the body and moving at a healthy rate to keep all aspects well supplied, in fact, it is far healthier if all the blood is concentrated in the heart and doesn't move much, letting the heart enlarge to a greater size. All the unnecessary extremities are allowed to wither because they are not as important as the heart, and don't deserve the blood as much as the heart does, since the heart does all the hard work

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Ardennes posted:

The issue right now is really mostly energy prices, with some increases from housing and profit taking by retailers.

A lack of oil = higher prices = inflation with some other issues on the side

don't forget supply chain disruptions and container shortages. it's a very complicated intertangled web and I don't know if we have enough evidence to make a very strong determination of exactly how large a role higher energy prices had. plus second-order effects like energy futures markets, etc

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
velocity of money is at an all time low because money supply is at an all time high and the latest money printer wave all went directly into finance capital where it is sitting in dragon hoards doing nothing

look up M2 money supply for a hearty lmao

did economic activity spike by almost 50% in 2020? no, in fact nearly the opposite? then velocity of money necessarily had to fall off a cliff

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

oh nice Chile is going to nationalize their entire lithium industry

https://www.reuters.com/markets/commodities/chiles-boric-announces-plan-nationalize-lithium-industry-2023-04-21/

this follows mexico

HallelujahLee has issued a correction as of 16:30 on Apr 21, 2023

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

atelier morgan posted:

velocity of money is at an all time low because money supply is at an all time high and the latest money printer wave all went directly into finance capital where it is sitting in dragon hoards doing nothing

the "simple" solution is that new/higher taxation is deflationary and transfer payments (i.e. redistribution) can increase the velocity of money when it's too low but these are ideologically impossible to implement in the US

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

HallelujahLee posted:

oh nice Chile is going to nationalize their entire lithium industry

no, they're going into "public-private partnerships" and the American mining multinational says they don't expect any change going forward with their operations

it means government officials want more bribes and Albemarle told them this is the legal structure that will be easiest for them

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Complications posted:

no, they're going into "public-private partnerships" and the American mining multinational says they don't expect any change going forward with their operations

it means government officials want more bribes and Albemarle told them this is the legal structure that will be easiest for them

Future lithium contracts would only be issued as public-private partnerships with state control, he said.

The government would not terminate current contracts, but hoped companies would be open to state participation before they expire, he said, without naming Albemarle and SQM, the world's No.1 and No.2 lithium producers respectively.

SQM's contract is set to expire in 2030 and Albemarle's in 2043.

the second part is probably key as to why dont expect any change going forward anytime soon

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

HallelujahLee posted:

the second part is probably key as to why dont expect any change going forward anytime soon

I'm basing my take on the fact that nobody's screaming about their stuff being stolen by communists with various officials being quoted all frowny faced on the free market being infringed upon. If the State Department doesn't give a poo poo, it's just bribery with spin.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Complications posted:

I'm basing my take on the fact that nobody's screaming about their stuff being stolen by communists with various officials being quoted all frowny faced on the free market being infringed upon. If the State Department doesn't give a poo poo, it's just bribery with spin.

thats a fair take and im not too keen on this boric guy but im willing to give this a chance and see what happens my main concern is that im not sure what "future lithium contracts would only be issued as public-private partnerships with state control" in the context of Chile means

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

People have spoken about this before in here but I still wonder how much Number is really gonna care if a bunch of workers in the lower 75% get booted and are no longer feeding money back into the consumer market

The lower gross revenue has gotta hurt eventually, right?

...right?

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

atelier morgan posted:

did economic activity spike by almost 50% in 2020? no, in fact nearly the opposite? then velocity of money necessarily had to fall off a cliff

very funny how the people who always warned that it would ruin the economy if we printed money and handed it to the people who need it then turned around and ruined the economy by printing money and handing it to themselves.

what a funny little trick!

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Jay Powell, in his Q2 2023 Federal Reserve board of governors meeting notes was quoted on a hot mike saying "And, now, my friends, the prestige"

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

webcams for christ posted:

don't forget supply chain disruptions and container shortages. it's a very complicated intertangled web and I don't know if we have enough evidence to make a very strong determination of exactly how large a role higher energy prices had. plus second-order effects like energy futures markets, etc

The journal article posted above which much specifies that it is oil prices that are causing most of the damage. If oil prices go from $20-30 to $100-120...it is simply going to have huge downstream effects. America runs on oil and if will eventually perish if it doesn't have enough of it.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Monkey Fracas posted:

People have spoken about this before in here but I still wonder how much Number is really gonna care if a bunch of workers in the lower 75% get booted and are no longer feeding money back into the consumer market

The lower gross revenue has gotta hurt eventually, right?

...right?

you think number gives a poo poo about the economy? Number only cares about vibes now.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Any kind of widespread layoffs will probably hit more than just the lower 75% and will definitely impact the spending of wealthier (but not wealthy) Americans. An unemployment crisis that primarily affects the poor and lower middle-class is probably about the least likely outcome here.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

FlapYoJacks posted:

you think number gives a poo poo about the economy? Number only cares about vibes now.

Thread title

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

https://twitter.com/mikeduncan/status/1649092456741502977

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Ardennes posted:

The journal article posted above which much specifies that it is oil prices that are causing most of the damage. If oil prices go from $20-30 to $100-120...it is simply going to have huge downstream effects. America runs on oil and if will eventually perish if it doesn't have enough of it.

yes, Weber et al's article I posted says first-order impulse for price increases are fossil fuels, chemicals, metals, compounded by second-order bottlenecks like wood and shipping. I wasn't suggesting that oil isn't important, just that there are many more valuables in play than are currently being discussed, with the most interesting parts of the paper being all of the publicly listed companies whose profit margins grew despite all of the above.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

FlapYoJacks posted:

number poo poo vibes now.

Mr Hootington posted:

Thread title

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

good on Mike. I think if one listens to the whole of revolutions it basically points one to that conclusion.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Capitalism as ideology feels a lot like a runway monster that's doing as much damage to itself as its enemies. "Smart" capitalists would absolutely be pursuing policies like UBI, UHC, job guarantees, higher tax rates on the wealthy, and all kinds of other things that could theoretically sustain the current system indefinitely. That we're instead lurching towards fascism is a pretty good indicator that there's no one really controlling this thing anymore.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
I haven’t been to a movie theater in 4 years but we wanted to take the kids to their first movie and see Mario (since it’s not woke).

What the hell happened to ticket prices lmao? It was $15 a ticket for matinee showing then a $3 “convenience fee” per ticket on top of that. By the time I was done it was $70 for 4 tickets. I went and checked the cinemark website just to compare (was ordering in fandango) and they too had an “online ticket fee” of $2 plus tax. I don’t remember paying these dumbass fees before and now you have to reserve your seats so there’s no way around paying them. It’s obscene they’re taking after Ticketmaster.

I had 4 free tickets through work so I paid $8 in the end just for the fees.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Paradoxish posted:

Capitalism as ideology feels a lot like a runway monster that's doing as much damage to itself as its enemies. "Smart" capitalists would absolutely be pursuing policies like UBI, UHC, job guarantees, higher tax rates on the wealthy, and all kinds of other things that could theoretically sustain the current system indefinitely. That we're instead lurching towards fascism is a pretty good indicator that there's no one really controlling this thing anymore.

were simply lurching towards capitalisms conclusion aka fascism

even countries that do some of that "smart" poo poo rely on a system that is predicated on hoarding wealth for a parasite class above all else

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Capitalism was failed by people. 😔

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

*complaining about ~Crony Capitalism~* rear end take

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

HallelujahLee posted:

were simply lurching towards capitalisms conclusion aka fascism

even countries that do some of that "smart" poo poo rely on a system that is predicated on hoarding wealth for a parasite class above all else

just in case it wasn't clear, the point of that post wasn't that capitalism is good and needs to be saved

I was saying it's a system whose in-built failure points mean that it's largely incapable of self-preservation