Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
were I emperor I'd create a nationally owned streaming service based in the Libraries of Congress, basically just a free-use platform to sell something for X number of years with the understanding that it will then enter the public domain and then be free to everyone forever afterwards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Glumwheels posted:

I haven’t been to a movie theater in 4 years but we wanted to take the kids to their first movie and see Mario (since it’s not woke).

What the hell happened to ticket prices lmao? It was $15 a ticket for matinee showing then a $3 “convenience fee” per ticket on top of that. By the time I was done it was $70 for 4 tickets. I went and checked the cinemark website just to compare (was ordering in fandango) and they too had an “online ticket fee” of $2 plus tax. I don’t remember paying these dumbass fees before and now you have to reserve your seats so there’s no way around paying them. It’s obscene they’re taking after Ticketmaster.

I had 4 free tickets through work so I paid $8 in the end just for the fees.

I paid 19 bux for a 2D showing of Endgame in 2019.

And then people out here talmbout kids don't go out anymore. Yeah bitch it costs 4 hours of minimum wage for a movie ticket and people call the cops if they see teens in public.

Xaris posted:

:cheers:

Though i really don't think this is gunna happen. I actually like the forums and most of my forums mockery is tongue-in-cheek typical goony self-deprecation, but forums heyday is over across the board. I'm gunna guess the median bday year of current goon is 1987-to-1989 (lets say '88) and 90th percentile could captured between 1983-1991, and this age group is aging out of interactive internet entirely. They might still be internet addicts, but they're voyeuristic lurkers instead of active participants, which is really what matters.

Even once-very-big places like Penny Arcade (which still have forums) are like ghost towns. Either people are too old to do forums and drift away (kids, work, too old to post online), or they're too young to have been around forum structure and prefer contemporary web 2.0 (3.0?) stuff with all the razzle dazzle microtransaction updoots dopamine drip systems. All the other social media sites aren't going to disappear overnight, and some other venture capital shitshow will appear to take their place when/if twitter/facebook/tumblr/reddit/imgur/myspace/twitch/nextdoor/instgram/snapchat/tiktok whatever die.

Or most likely they move to Discord, which already most people under 40 have done if they aren't part of the big social media sphere. Already a lot of the internet and particularly information, especially a lot of niche stuff, has moved to Discord channels. personally I absolutely loathe Discord for anything besides organizing co-op games of Deep Rock Galactic or Vermintide or something. I cant wait for Discord to IPO (which should be soon) and implode seeking maximum profits and turn it into poo poo (moreso than it is already)

Penny Arcade forums probably fell off by dint of it being associated with Penny Arcade. SA still has a bit of cache and long ago decoupled from the top site, all the action has been solely in the forums for a long time. Penny Arcade is a 2000s gamer webcomic with the attendant accumulated cringe.

I like the idea of Discord but in practice I can only focus on one server at a time. I also don't really know how to go about finding new ones unless they're attached to a mod project I'm following, in which I just hit and run their guides and downloads and don't engage with the people who hang out there. This is in contrast to say reddit, where you can find a subreddit for an interest easily.

skooma512 has issued a correction as of 18:54 on Apr 21, 2023

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

skooma512 posted:

I paid 19 bux for a 2D showing of Endgame in 2019.

And then people out here talmbout kids don't go out anymore. Yeah bitch it costs 4 hours of minimum wage for a movie ticket and people call the cops if they see teens in public.

if you're lucky they call the cops. they are now increasingly taking the law into their own hands to subdue teens in their neighborhoods

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Number

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

more life expectancy/mortality data USA #1 baby!!!

https://twitter.com/DKThomp/status/1649405074567733249

millennials are finally reviving an industry: coffins

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

more life expectancy/mortality data USA #1 baby!!!

https://twitter.com/DKThomp/status/1649405074567733249

so this is mostly just fent and suicide right?

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

yes

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Glumwheels posted:

I haven’t been to a movie theater in 4 years but we wanted to take the kids to their first movie and see Mario (since it’s not woke).

What the hell happened to ticket prices lmao? It was $15 a ticket for matinee showing then a $3 “convenience fee” per ticket on top of that. By the time I was done it was $70 for 4 tickets. I went and checked the cinemark website just to compare (was ordering in fandango) and they too had an “online ticket fee” of $2 plus tax. I don’t remember paying these dumbass fees before and now you have to reserve your seats so there’s no way around paying them. It’s obscene they’re taking after Ticketmaster.

I had 4 free tickets through work so I paid $8 in the end just for the fees.

if you just buy your tickets at the theater none of those fees exist
you got rooked by ordering online, many such cases

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Relevant Tangent posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if they have the fees there too, or will soon enough.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

skooma512 posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if they have the fees there too, or will soon enough.

just have the highschooler enter in your information via fandango bing bang boom no more pos fees

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

i don't think 0-10 year olds are doing fent and killing themselves twice as often

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

OUT: core/underlying/embedded inflation

IN: core/underlying/embedded life expectancy

Theeadv tirel

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

bit more than that

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Woke Mind Virus posted:

i don't think 0-10 year olds are doing fent and killing themselves twice as often

I dunno. I mean those child probably picked up bad habits and thoughts from their coworkers at the meatpacking factory

NeonPunk has issued a correction as of 19:26 on Apr 21, 2023

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

ah so its only drug use shootings car accidents and suicide

phew then were good

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

HallelujahLee posted:

phew then were good

also people "choosing" to forego medical treatment in order to pay rent+bills

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

silentsnack posted:

how could i forget this special feature of a non-banana republic

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Relevant Tangent posted:

you got rooked by ordering online, many such cases

I thought about that but you have to reserve seats now and I wanted to make sure we got middle seats not too close or far back. If I waited until day off we’d probably have poo poo seats. But why are there “online booking fees” from the company that owns the theater? Of course I’d you’re a member of their monthly program you get the fees waived and discounts on concessions and tickets.

It’s all a loving scam.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

millennials are finally reviving an industry: coffins
Fake news, we can't even afford the cardboard option. Even a used refrigerator box requires a +700 credit score.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Glumwheels posted:

It’s all a loving scam.

Thread title

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

How can I make money off me betting the debt ceiling passes? This fear is so funny every time.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Mr Hootington posted:

Capitalism was failed by people. 😔

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Zodium posted:

that's good right

no it means that if things get worse everybody dies. and it means that people who don’t know what a lol is will conflate it with a list which generally does not mean doom.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I don’t know if it is a great idea to force a debt ceiling debate while the yields on US debt haven’t been this high in more than a decade but… go for it.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Woke Mind Virus posted:

that’s probably due to gun owners with kids.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

err posted:

How can I make money off me betting the debt ceiling passes? This fear is so funny every time.

There will be a nice spike in everything once the Undertaker slams the debt ceiling during a joint hell in a cell session, so I guess just buy an index fund and wait.

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

HallelujahLee posted:

phew then were good

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

silentsnack posted:

wait you can die from this?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Cuttlefush posted:

wait you can die from this?

it's something you die with, not from

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Supercore life expectancy (ex. deaths of despair, misfortune, unwillingness to survive) has ticked down in the last three years but I think part of it is just consumers matching pessimistic market expectations. Hope is contagious :)

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

Very late to the party noob question: Why are we putting fent in everything? Seems like a bad idea. I don't see how I can sell more drugs if my customer base is diminishing due to dying from using my product.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Animal-Mother posted:

Very late to the party noob question: Why are we putting fent in everything?

it rules, people love it

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

Animal-Mother posted:

Very late to the party noob question: Why are we putting fent in everything? Seems like a bad idea. I don't see how I can sell more drugs if my customer base is diminishing due to dying from using my product.

Lots of reasons, can you make your question a little more specific? There are just a lot of wes and everything is pretty general

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Animal-Mother posted:

My understanding is that it's magnitudes less effort to move around under our current criminalized drug regime so hey hope u like fent

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
What happened to LSD, why can't you get acid anymore? Also, nobody died on LSD, you just had a bad weekend.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Twerk from Home posted:

What happened to LSD, why can't you get acid anymore? Also, nobody died on LSD, you just had a bad weekend.

It's harder to make isn't it? Requires a whole lot of precursors and some knowhow of how to mix them together?

Same thing for how quaaludes went away. They were hard to make and required one very specific precursor that the feds were able to totally clamp down on.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

"We're doing great, if you don't count the people that don't count".

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Twerk from Home posted:

iirc a whole lot of the production was from people with actual academic chemistry backgrounds who kept getting rolled up

actual acid is still being illicitly produced but not much compared to a shitload of other things that generally get sold

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Bar Ran Dun posted:

no it means that if things get worse everybody dies. and it means that people who don’t know what a lol is will conflate it with a list which generally does not mean doom.

hmm .. sounds pretty good