Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Lacrosse posted:

I'm in charge of the physical computer hardware at a government agency and whoo boy it's bad. I just replaced a laptop so old it didn't even have onboard wifi, end user handed an air card in with it

Good luck hacking my punch card computer system. :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

lol, welcome to retail bitches

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/BusinessInsider/status/1650099549220794368?s=20

quote:

The 92-year-old chows down on McDonald's for breakfast, guzzles five cans of Coca-Cola a day, and munches on See's Candies and Dairy Queen Blizzards. When CNBC's Becky Quick asked him this month what he'd been eating in Japan, he said Hershey's Kisses and Coke.

:lol:

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
world's richest and oldest toddler

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Mola Yam posted:

world's richest and oldest toddler

It's a dream many aspire to but sadly few reach.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

https://twitter.com/itspatsworld/status/1650108856704352256

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/jasonfurman/status/1650114577617633281?t=MQ3N8tyjiyajyOE5bS4i2w&s=19
https://twitter.com/jasonfurman/status/1650116965657198592?t=86Eyp006czLgSNKnH_beuA&s=19

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

spacetoaster posted:

Good luck hacking my punch card computer system. :smuggo:

Thread title

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

lmfao

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

rip anheuser-inbev

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

I only buy lotions, candles, and useless knick-knacks endorsed by Kyle Rittenhouse.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
r/BBBY is must-read today and probably next week

The anger and denial are incredible

:discourse:

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

from woke to broke:

East India Trading Company (stopped trafficking slaves)
Congo Free State

many other examples

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
As recently as August 2022, BBBY was $30.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

FistEnergy posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/FinancialTimes/status/1649990824938094595?s=20

quote:

Another Meta employee said middle managers working from home were keen to demonstrate to executives that they were still valuable, resulting in them attending as many virtual meetings as possible to increase their own visibility internally.

As a result, there were “too many people on too many calls”, the person said, describing the phenomenon as a type of “digital presenteeism”.

filtering for people who spend more than a couple hours a week on meetings for firing would be awesome.
i've never met a good techbro that actively wants to be on meetings

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Media coverage on the East Palestine thing around here has settled on segments about how housing values there have been hurt and about how homeowners must be compensated instead of things like health or quality of life, because our system perverts everything it touches.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
US banks on alert over falling commercial real estate valuations

quote:

“The question we all have is whether contagion will spread from the office sector,” said Bryan McDonnell, head of PGIM’s real estate debt business, which has $122bn under management. “If you get to a confidence issue then, all of a sudden, people might put all commercial real estate in the same bucket.”

It's afraid dot gif

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

FistEnergy posted:

Feel-good story of the week, IMO.

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

I have a coworker who bought a bunch because of "technical analysis" and I'm pretty sure he has no idea about r/BBBY. Maybe he saw something on stock twits about it though.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Spoondick posted:

lol, welcome to retail bitches

Exactly! Welcome to the real world snowflakes

:qq:blooo hooo hooo:qq: I have to work at work:qq:bloooo hooo hoooo:qq:

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

FistEnergy posted:

Many reasonable posters, good, decent posters, will not navigate to that url

Can u pls explain what is happening to them, our friends

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Egg Moron posted:

quote:

ITS NOT OVER YET!!!!! HODL 💎🙌

Chapter 11 so loving what? Almost INSTANTLY people saying ah well it's over, done, kaput, nada, money down the drain, off to burger King yada yada yada.

Cop on. To all the ball bags in here saying we are here till the end and are deciding to leave now.. this aint the loving end!

Chapter 11 allows for the sale of assets. BABY is a huge asset. Which will be sold. And who will buy it I wonder? Only the young.

OK so its hard to see. The word Bankruptcy is henious.... but if you know you know, we know you wanna know. It's not a bad thing. It's a big thing but it's a change of direction. An opportunity. Confirmation. 11th hour too.

If you are here to stay, then loving stay. This is where the paper handed bitches get the bus home.

As for me, I'm waiting for the baby bus to the rocket

ONLY THE YOUNG!!!!!

Edit: thanks to the top G for reaching out about my wellness. It's good to see people still care about others. But I would suggest maybe using that service for what it's for, like your wife, that rachet hatchet wound you're married to.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

What's creditor priority tiers, precious?

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Xaris posted:

i'm guessing that's because they retired and that's because working retail, especially grocery store, is hell. unless it's a night-shift doing stocking only, that's pretty chill (if those positions even still exist)

Older people in retail get along fine when part of a team. In high school, in the 90s, I worked at a food lion. We had more than half a dozen people on a shift. If there was heavy lifting an old could borrow a teenager for a bit then send them back to their normal station, manager didn't bat an eye. Now I never see more than a manager (rear end. most likely) and 3 other cashiers, (ignoring pharmacist+assistant and meat/deli). But the general staff can't be old anymore because nobody can be spared even a few minutes to help a coworker. Staffing has been to the bone a lot lately.

Also older retail workers fled covid or died to it. Some survived but will never work again. It's retail. Unless you're a teenager you're always sick.

anonumos has issued a correction as of 15:04 on Apr 23, 2023

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Got to love the double whammy of increased vacancy and increased interest rates when all those commercial balloon loans come due. And since generally commercial loans are short term, a handful to five years, there is potential for blood in the future. At least until the landlord bailouts begin.

Supposedly warehouse space is doing well, it’s just office space that is particularly shaky.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Is this guy a moron, or this a bit?

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Egg Moron posted:

idiots and suckers placed their bets on a dying retail company that is rapidly closing their empty stores. BBBY has filed Chapter 11. They are learning in real-time the difference between a Stakeholder and a Shareholder and they're gradually realizing their money is gone.

Some of them will HODL until the ticker hits zero and the ability to trade shares is removed. Unless you bought in the last few weeks, you're down 90% or 95%. Pretty much everyone who's been around for 6+ months is down 98% or 99%.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

FistEnergy posted:

idiots and suckers placed their bets on a dying retail company that is rapidly closing their empty stores. BBBY has filed Chapter 11. They are learning in real-time the difference between a Stakeholder and a Shareholder and they're gradually realizing their money is gone.

Some of them will HODL until the ticker hits zero and the ability to trade shares is removed. Unless you bought in the last few weeks, you're down 90% or 95%. Pretty much everyone who's been around for 6+ months is down 98% or 99%.

now that's funny lol

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Nonsense posted:

Is this guy a moron, or this a bit?

Professor of Practice at Harvard. Teaches Ec 10, some tweets might be educational. Also Senior Fellow @PIIE. Was Chairman of President Obama's CEA.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

man go gently caress yourself

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Stereotype posted:

the mayor of honolulu proposed this and then he got murdered

Care to elaborate? It looks like Hawaii is still considering this and I didn't see any mention of mayors getting murdered over it.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Here's a CNN story about the credit/mortgage fee changes.

And unsurprisingly, it's supported by the now-ailing mortgage industry:

quote:

The administration’s rate reduction on mortgage insurance premiums is possible because FHA’s mortgage insurance fund has accumulated reserves at a level that is more than five times the required threshold set by Congress, according to the White House.

Home price appreciation and significant refinance volume over the past few years are factors contributing to the surplus and make it possible for HUD to make adjustments and pass savings on to consumers without jeopardizing the long-term sustainability of FHA’s mortgage insurance fund.

The move strikes an appropriate balance between assisting homeowners and ensuring the capital reserve ratio and insurance fund remain strong, according to the National Association of Realtors, which supports the move.

“In this competitive market, new and low- to moderate-income buyers are often left behind,” said Kenny Parcell, the president of the National Association of Realtors. “This reduction will help alleviate some of the financial stress those potential buyers encounter when purchasing a home and allow more people across the country to achieve the American dream of homeownership.”

It’s also something the Mortgage Bankers Association has encouraged for several years.

“The lower premiums will expand homeownership opportunities by lowering mortgage payments for qualified FHA borrowers, providing critical relief from the steep rise in mortgage rates and home prices just in time for the spring buying season,” said Bob Broeksmit, MBA’s president and CEO. “This will especially help minority homebuyers and low-and moderate-income households who are predominantly served by FHA loans.”

So that's the industry spin for a change they're cloaking as an equity initiative rather than their greed.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/cnni/status/1650148783970197505?s=20

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

There’s been a lot posted here about that app platform that landlords are using to fix rental prices across the country and I’m wondering if there’s something like that going on for buying houses too. Houses in cities proper across the country seem to be fixed at around the same amount for similar tiers of city. A few years back houses in Bradenton FL were pretty cheap for that section of Florida because it’s a pretty run down area, just looked and they’re all around $400k now for anything livable. Which is similar to here.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Richard Burr was forced to resign (not run for reelection) for doing this.

Kelly Loeffler did it as well.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

shrike82 posted:

https://twitter.com/FinancialTimes/status/1649990824938094595?s=20

filtering for people who spend more than a couple hours a week on meetings for firing would be awesome.
i've never met a good techbro that actively wants to be on meetings

Middle management has secretly been the most vulnerable white collar class for a while, and the COVID-era urge to sit in remote meetings all day or now brag about how ChatGPT can write all their emails is certainly not doing them any favors.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Bar Ran Dun posted:

yes but how much money is going to evaporate with Reddit and Imgur? How much evaporated with Tumbler? they just keep running head first into this wall and thinking this time, this time it will be different.

why not instead develop a payment network before chasing all the users off? I mean how much money is Reddit worth? (looks like 10 billion) I mean Visa or Mastercard are in that 400-500 billion range. But something like American Express is 124 billion.

they’d have to get multiple companies to pull it off I guess.

because, again, they literally cannot do that. You get frozen out of the ACH system so you can't transfer money in or out of bank accounts the way shitcoin exchanges can't interact with the normal banking system. It's why legal weed is still an all-cash business despite the immense profits to be made serving it: they don't outweigh the financial death sentence that comes with taking that money.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Egg Moron posted:

FistEnergy posted:

Also the posters at /r/bbby have spent the last six months convincing each other to buy more shares while the company's been imploding. Highlights include:

https://twitter.com/FoldableHuman/status/1621561947723542529

https://twitter.com/FoldableHuman/status/1621561952303726593

https://twitter.com/FoldableHuman/status/1621561953285181446

https://twitter.com/FoldableHuman/status/1621561955776598016

https://twitter.com/FoldableHuman/status/1621561966925070336

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

what if the emails are fake but the bankruptcy is real