Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

dialhforhero posted:

Did you try Odyssey?

No I did not, space legs in Elite didn't really interest me. I did hear that was a bungle but I assume it probably works fine by now even if it's boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

dialhforhero posted:

But the game doesn’t “look like poo poo” is all I am saying.

It really does though, this isn't even subjective. This is a turn on your monitor level fact.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Popete posted:

No I did not, space legs in Elite didn't really interest me. I did hear that was a bungle but I assume it probably works fine by now even if it's boring.

It is about the same as SC actually. And yes, boring.

In fact, it is such a mess there are no less than three incompatible versions of Elite you can play now!

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

dialhforhero posted:

Did you try Odyssey?

“Infinitely better” minus any finite number is still “infinitely better”. Infinities are funny that way. :haw:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

And of course Star Citizens development discourse assumes CIG is making a good faith effort to actually make a game, and not just scam people out of money. Star Citizen's bare bone's super basic art direction is exactly because the game is a bad faith scam where CIG is doing the absolute bare minimum in order to fleece money out of people for as long as possible. That is the only part of Star Citizen that has been a success.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I haven't tried Odyssey but I have a hard time believing it's worse then Star Marine mode in Star Citizen. Even their basic vanilla team death match shooter was horribly broken.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Eh, Odyssey’s problem is that there is nothing really to do, multiplayer doesn’t work right, it’s only half implemented really, it is unoptimized, and unlike with SC the transition to space legs/flying is clunky, there is also only about 5 unique “environments” and they look (as I said earlier) totally indistinguishable from SC unless you know Elite.

At least SC missions on the ground are fun.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

dialhforhero posted:

Eh, Odyssey’s problem is that there is nothing really to do, multiplayer doesn’t work right, it’s only half implemented really, it is unoptimized, and unlike with SC the transition to space legs/flying is clunky, there is also only about 5 unique “environments” and they look (as I said earlier) totally indistinguishable from SC unless you know Elite.

How much are you in for commando

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

dialhforhero posted:

Yes, pratfall comedy has its charm, I suppose.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Edit: beaten

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Again we are comparing a game initially released in 2014 with an expansion from 2021 that was roundly considered a bust to a game that touts itself as the greatest game of all time better than any other AAA title in existence and the best you can say it that they're maybe on par in one specific facet.

That also assumes that you can login to Star Citizen.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

I said come in! posted:

And of course Star Citizens development discourse assumes CIG is making a good faith effort to actually make a game, and not just scam people out of money. Star Citizen's bare bone's super basic art direction is exactly because the game is a bad faith scam where CIG is doing the absolute bare minimum in order to fleece money out of people for as long as possible. That is the only part of Star Citizen that has been a success.

I mean it seems like it isn't just a case of bare minimum, as someone posted on the last page with one of their artists quitting as what ever they did had to go through Chris and he'd take ages, than just ask for arbitrary changes, than forget he asks for those changes next time they sent back to him, a lot of just seems to be the guy in charge is absolutely poo poo at management. Like just loving delegate that poo poo, it's not like there is some sort of amazing unique vision here.

I mean it's not like the fleecing money thing isn't happening, but it does seem like there is talent involved that want's to do something, like anything, good, but lovely management just makes sure it's never seen.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

dr_rat posted:

I mean it's not like the fleecing money thing isn't happening, but it does seem like there is talent involved that want's to do something, like anything, good, but lovely management just makes sure it's never seen.

At this stage, there's probably not much talent still involved that wants to do anything good with this trash fire. How could anyone be expected to maintain that kind of ambition after so many years of having it beaten out of them? And even if you could shove Chris out of everyone's way and find managers willing to try to finally get this on track, the game engine itself is such a loving mess that it will actively resist any attempt to be playable. It's ugly hack jobs, all the way down, and odds are most of the people who did all that damage left the company long ago, so good luck to any poor soul who wants to figure any of it out now.

I'm guessing the only actual motivations left for the art teams at CIG are professional pride and/or making things they can put in their portfolios for when they apply to a company that actually makes games. Trying to make Star Citizen good is a lost cause.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Did they ever actually add that kart racing track? I can't remember seeing any clips of people playing it.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/1xjVRwJ.gifv

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
Stop calling it a game. It is not a game. It hasn't been released, and it never will.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

dialhforhero posted:

I guess my comment was directed at the space sim genre in general or at least something visually similar (such as a battlefield series—the latest Star Wars Battlefront reminds me a lot of this game too).

It would be unfair to compare it to, say, Sea of Thieves and its beautiful water and lighting, or anything on Unreal 5 so far (which is probably where the game should be migrated to at this point).

To call this game looking like “poo poo”, though, is a bit hyperbolic.

The reality is there aren’t very many space sims out there, and the ones that are have a lot of years behind them now, so if you can call Star Citizen “poo poo” the I would assume that virtually all other space sims are “poo poo”.

It could be moved to UE5 and still look like poo poo, because Chris Roberts' imagination is limited to regurgitating stuff that he and we have already seen. While great art direction can make up for performance shortcomings, the opposite isn't really true anymore.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

dialhforhero posted:

I guess my comment was directed at the space sim genre in general or at least something visually similar (such as a battlefield series—the latest Star Wars Battlefront reminds me a lot of this game too).

It would be unfair to compare it to, say, Sea of Thieves and its beautiful water and lighting, or anything on Unreal 5 so far (which is probably where the game should be migrated to at this point).

To call this game looking like “poo poo”, though, is a bit hyperbolic.

The reality is there aren’t very many space sims out there, and the ones that are have a lot of years behind them now, so if you can call Star Citizen “poo poo” the I would assume that virtually all other space sims are “poo poo”.

Oh dear, you've given :iiasb: a lot of money, haven't you

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Oh, do we have new believer in the thread? Are you Toast?

Sadly SC has reached such a failure level, that it is not really funny anymore. CIG is playing it safe and the whales are still out of touch with the real world.

Please, Chris hear our prayers and live stream playing your game!

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

Quavers posted:

Oh dear, you've given :iiasb: a lot of money, haven't you

No. There is no sunk cost fallacy delusions either. I simply said originally I don’t think the game looks like poo poo.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Hello, the post above speaks about a "game".

Could it be true? Is Squadbro 2044 finally released?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

dialhforhero posted:

No. There is no sunk cost fallacy delusions either. I simply said originally I don’t think the game looks like poo poo.

To be clear, you basically just mean screenshots, right? Because it looks fine or even good in screenshots. It looks like poo poo in motion, which is the important thing for a Videod Game. Good visuals chugging at low frame rates look bad to almost every video games enjoyer you might talk to.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
I think we'll mostly just be disagreeing from the start because the game does look poo poo. As has been said, not on a purely technical level. The ingredients are clearly there, the 'hero' characters are very detailed and thoroughly animated, they've got all kinds of materials and whatnot.
So things like a shiny spaceship in isolation look pretty good.

The stuff that looks like rear end are things that require thought-out direction like particularly the interiors of pretty much everywhere. Many of them are completely empty and lifeless, as if no one inhabits these places. The most highly detailed and amazing coffee kiosk is still going to look stupid as poo poo when it's one of 2 things in a giant empty hall that looks like a freshly cleaned hospital corridor.

Don't even get me started on the landscapes. They look straight awful.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

Fidelitious posted:

I think we'll mostly just be disagreeing from the start because the game does look poo poo. As has been said, not on a purely technical level. The ingredients are clearly there, the 'hero' characters are very detailed and thoroughly animated, they've got all kinds of materials and whatnot.
So things like a shiny spaceship in isolation look pretty good.

The stuff that looks like rear end are things that require thought-out direction like particularly the interiors of pretty much everywhere. Many of them are completely empty and lifeless, as if no one inhabits these places. The most highly detailed and amazing coffee kiosk is still going to look stupid as poo poo when it's one of 2 things in a giant empty hall that looks like a freshly cleaned hospital corridor.

Don't even get me started on the landscapes. They look straight awful.

Yes, I think a lot of space games have a problem where stations and interiors are just loving huge. Too big. The form is prioritized over function.

Coincidentally this is also how McMansions and suburban hellscape homes are designed.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Popete posted:

Did they ever actually add that kart racing track? I can't remember seeing any clips of people playing it.

The track damages the buggies making their wheels fall off. The wheels stay on the track damaging the buggies more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvoyWSMAN_Q

It's another broken goofy thing added to the list!

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

Also a known Issue on Windows 11. On some Windows Updates the folder access permissions within the Protected OS Environment are reset, if they are set to 'Read Only' it can cause issues with running programs.

Advice: Run the Windows Application trouble-shooter.

When the RSI Launcher has finished downloading an update or install it runs a directory scanner to check the integrity of the games files, if the User Account Control (UAC) setting in Windows is set to default or high it may prevent this scan from running as it sees it as suspicious behavior* - if that part of the RSI Launcher services is terminated the RSI Launcher will close. Remedy is to reduce the security setting for Windows User Account Control. (I have been running Windows with UAC turned off for years without issue because I am the only user of this PC but Windows store and some troubleshooters need it turned on. UAC does not block external threats, it merely makes it harder to run imported malicious software locally by prompting the user with dialogue boxes)

Adjust protection level
  1. Go to Start and open Control Panel.
  2. Select Security and Maintenance.
  3. Under Security and Maintenance, select Change User Account Control settings.
  4. Move the slider to set security level.
  5. Select OK to save your changes.
  6. Select Yes when prompted to confirm the changes.
Once the RSI Launcher has done updating you can restore the security setting to the one you want to have.

* The default install location for the RSI Launcher is 'C:/Program Files/' - This is within the Windows protected operating system directory and so it has heightened security. To avoid this install the RSI Launcher to the root of your fastest drive with enough space for the game install (around 80GB) - just create a folder and call it whatever you wish. Run the RSI Launcher and sign in - DO NOT HIT INSTALL. Move the 'StarCitizen' folder from C:/Program Files/Roberts Space Industries/ folder to ?:/<whatever folder you created to use as your RSI Launcher install>/...

Once you have moved the folder to the same folder that contains the RSI Launcher folder --> On the RSI Launcher go to 'Settings' Scroll down to 'Library Folder' and make sure the address to the folder you created in the root of your drive is there and if it is click 'Verify'.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Pixelate posted:

The track damages the buggies making their wheels fall off. The wheels stay on the track damaging the buggies more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvoyWSMAN_Q

It's another broken goofy thing added to the list!

buggy buggies

Edit: lol this looks really bad, it's like they're driving on ice and anytime they bump into each other one of the karts just bursts into flame.

Popete fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Apr 23, 2023

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

dialhforhero posted:

Nah make fun of it. I certainly did and do. I tried it during the free week and some of the dumbest glitches in basic poo poo (like waking up in bed) were broken.

Over a decade of dev and it still isn’t solid in the core creature comforts and essentials to like, take off or land, is dumb as gently caress.

But the game doesn’t “look like poo poo” is all I am saying.

I realize I have already “lost” any part of the discussion and am not trying to die on any hill but I feel like making fun of people who pledged $225 on the proto-NFT that is an internet space ship is a better target vs. the mediocre but serviceable graphics.

Also lol at saying Elite is any better in graphics and optimization and completeness. Like, have you even ever played Elite?

Different people have different definitions of what "looking like poo poo" is. SC (at least the ships and ship interiors) looks good in screenshots. But it looks like pretty bad while moving around. it's choppy, the animations are robotic, and there is all sorts of visual glitches.

Since we're talking about a video game and not a painting then I would say that it looking bad in movement means it looks pretty bad. Add to that that it has taken them 600 million dollars up get that result and "lovely" seems reasonable.

I like fighting games and SC reminds me of Rise of the Robots (weirdly enough, they also promised the most advanced AI ever in a (fighting) game, the actual results were :lol:). But RotR at least had the decency of being released.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Apr 23, 2023

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

From what I understand getting hit with the platypus gom jabbar is a life sentence of pain described as being stabbed with a hot soldering iron

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer

Popete posted:

buggy buggies

Edit: lol this looks really bad, it's like they're driving on ice and anytime they bump into each other one of the karts just bursts into flame.

Love the sound effects too, sounds like someone banging their keyboard and mouse around on their desk.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
lol the final attempt in that video ends in the most Star Citizen way imaginable

timestamp here

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Thoatse posted:

From what I understand getting hit with the platypus gom jabbar is a life sentence of pain described as being stabbed with a hot soldering iron

If it makes you feel any better they don't really venom stab people outside there natural environment.

Their natural environment being under peoples beds, where they patient wait to venom stab you in your sleep!

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Apr 23, 2023

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

dialhforhero posted:

Yes, I think a lot of space games have a problem where stations and interiors are just loving huge. Too big. The form is prioritized over function.

Coincidentally this is also how McMansions and suburban hellscape homes are designed.

In the case of Elite it actually makes sense psychics wise because rotational gravity causes nausea if the distance to the center of rotation is too small. If it's too small turning your head fucks with your balance and makes you nauseous. The giant rear end drum space stations are because that's the distance needed for the habitable outside of the drum to not actually not gently caress with humans. That said, yeah they are huge inside. Same with the Nuavoo int he Expanse. This isn't an excuse for non rotational based platforms, but for ones that use spin gravity there's a reason.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Popete posted:

Comparing this to Battlefront specifically is way off base, the EA Battlefront games were some of the most graphically impressive games I have ever played when they launched. Star Citizen doesn't even come close.

This is a Star Citizen river that took them like 3 years to put in.

Sorry I hate getting into "X game looks better!" arguments because it's subjective and a bad way to judge a game but because Star Citizen is also just a bad game it can't even stand up on graphical fidelity.

It never stops striking me how loving ugly this is.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

BitBasher posted:

In the case of Elite it actually makes sense psychics wise because rotational gravity causes nausea if the distance to the center of rotation is too small. If it's too small turning your head fucks with your balance and makes you nauseous. The giant rear end drum space stations are because that's the distance needed for the habitable outside of the drum to not actually not gently caress with humans. That said, yeah they are huge inside. Same with the Nuavoo int he Expanse. This isn't an excuse for non rotational based platforms, but for ones that use spin gravity there's a reason.

It’s the interiors, not the exteriors or overall size. Like, why do you need to walk 500 yards to get to the elevator to get to your ship from the bar? The elevator just magics you there anyway.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
The one thing I love to do when I am playing a game in what little time I have to play is to needlessly walk from one place to another.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

dialhforhero posted:

It’s the interiors, not the exteriors or overall size. Like, why do you need to walk 500 yards to get to the elevator to get to your ship from the bar? The elevator just magics you there anyway.

No. Don’t you watch the cig YouTube

No. Shortcuts. Ever. Only full fidelity

Each elevator takes a real path ! It doesn’t just teleport you fool !!!

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

dialhforhero posted:

The landing zones are all a Potemkin Village setup to give the illusion of size and scale that they can’t actually achieve. That’s why everything is cut up to a ridiculous extent and you have take multiple train rides between small/pointless/empty concourse areas to get to your ship. The whole thing looks like crap other than a few individual objects that have like a billion polygons or something and reduce you to sub 30fps on a 4090.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

It is weird isn't it? Some can play fine, some even make video streams about it. When everyone is complaining predicting doom and gloom with no end in sight CIG go on to have a better influx of new players and funds than all previous years... best first quarter ever. In the beginning the ONLY thing we could build was a community of like-minded individuals all willing to work for a common goal.

It's almost as if those that are 'suffering' are in the minority. I played 3.18.2, everything went smoothly except there were no inventories in the shopping terminals. However it seems some did manage to buy and sell things. I managed to get out of the hangars with no issues but some say the ATC system isn't responding.

What do I do when there are issues making the game not worth my time - well, I close the game, hop over to the Issue Council, read some patch reports and either come to Spectrum or Reddit to see if others are having issues I can help with. I watch the output from CIG to see what is currently the focus of the teams or what are the future plans and know - they'll fix it eventually because they usually do.

There are so many variables - some have issues because of their system set up, well it's irritating but usually it can be fixed, or at least explained. Some have Issues because they expect the game to be in a playable state while it is being built - at all times - and can't cope with the idea that something unique and bigger than anything that has come before might need time to mature - it is being built before our very eyes. It's all part of a process that everyone can't necessarily appreciate on a scale few can even grasp fully. To me that is a good thing, it's exactly where I expect it to be.

The day they say it is done there are no more dreams of 'more to come', and that would be a sad ending in my view. Small and temporary inconveniences are deal breakers for some, for others the process is all part of the journey that makes the destination all more worthwhile. In truth, for me there is nothing in the game currently that makes it all worthwhile except to see that process lead to somewhere I can experience something so unique there is nothing else like it. Some say sarcastically "Well our children and grandchildren can enjoy the game even if we can't".. and yes, that is exactly the point, which other projects can you say that about?

Easy can be done tomorrow, easy is what the men in suits invest in for profit at the gamers expense. Easy is consumed and forgotten in a barely a few months. Easy doesn't need passion, communication and participation. Easy limits everyone's horizons. Monumental and ground breaking takes a community of like-minded people to grit their teeth and say, we'll just keep pushing until we get there. That's the amazing thing about being part of a community, when we get tired, impatient, feel dejected or even too frustrated and angry to carry on there is always someone ready to pick up the torch and carry on until we're ready again to get back into the fight. Every brick, screw and nail is another step toward that impossible dream that everyone kept saying would never happen.

If all someone needs is 'a game' there are plenty out there. We can never have that same deep emotional connection to any other game. This project has always been about pushing the boundaries, changing the paradigm - daring to dream bigger and do better in partnership with those that can make it happen, just for the joy of making it happen. One day you'll say with pride, I was a part of that impossible dream. I was there to help make it happen. We aren't just making a game (or two) we're changing the worlds perception about what is not possible and what is achievable if we have the collective will to do it. No-one ever said it was going to be easy. Be honest with yourself, is quick and easy what you really want from this experience?