Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

fits my needs posted:

better to be a dog, than a child it seems, lmao

holy cow that's one hell of a dog park. In LA they're usually a small patch of a larger park.

The Oldest Man posted:

They will when the propaganda infrastructure stops working and not a moment sooner than that day

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

We've got an entire major broadcast network whose entire scripted line-up is hours of cop / authority dick-sucking every night

Propaganda only works if you can watch it. If you're on the street because rent went up 30% and your jobs laid you off to make record profits, you don't have a TV to mainline this poo poo anymore. You can watch it on your phone I guess, but good luck paying for the data. Material conditions like living in a tent make poo poo just hit differently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1651294711909343235

lol

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Are they gonna make an example of First Republic?

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

et tu JAY?!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

FRC -33% and on its like 7th or 8th halt of the day.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

SKULL.GIF posted:

First Republic trading got halted again on some breaking news.

https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1651294805933031429

Why is the government trying to kill this bank? This is the polar opposite extreme response.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

https://twitter.com/carlquintanilla/status/1651297615533801472?t=urK0zWL972DF8k2dLGAOtg&s=19

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

Why is the government trying to kill this bank? This is the polar opposite extreme response.

First Republic should have known to restrict customer's ability to move funds. This response is disastrously bad from the FED

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Mr Hootington posted:

I think it's because they think other banks are on the brink of blowing up too and they're worried the banks will just let it happen because the government will bail them out. So they make an example of FRB and make it clear that other banks will not be rescued, so get their finances in order pronto.

Or, at least, that's my guess. Who knows what the gently caress's going on.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Welp, :pressf: america

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Mr Hootington posted:

it’s a boring small commiefornia bank that doesn’t have rich donors who are lobbying in their behalf

and it’s election season so dems think it’s be bad to save a commiefornia bank after already bailing out SVB (which has many many dnc donors)

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

SKULL.GIF posted:

I think it's because they think other banks are on the brink of blowing up too and they're worried the banks will just let it happen because the government will bail them out. So they make an example of FRB and make it clear that other banks will not be rescued, so get their finances in order pronto.

Or, at least, that's my guess. Who knows what the gently caress's going on.

I hope this is their plan, but it backfires and people seeing the government letting banks fail causes a o
Panic.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

Mr Hootington posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wz-PtEJEaqY

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
I’m still lolling that Reddit was trying to pump hype a fuckjng dying bank as big moon rocket gains just waiting for YOUR investment

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Xaris posted:

I’m still lolling that Reddit was trying to pump hype a fuckjng dying bank as big moon rocket gains just waiting for YOUR investment

These trading subs are astroturfed to hell nowadays. Even the dumber apes are noticing that the accounts showing up out of nowhere to hype a dying stock suddenly delete everything and vanish once the exit liquidity is secured.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

DrPossum posted:

Welp, :pressf: america

Where is PIMCO’s Balls on this issue?

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Not a Children posted:

LMAO the logical end point of making trains 3 times as long so you can staff half the people

I wonder how hard it is to uncouple train cars.. if you uncoupled the car you had to pass from the rest of the train, you could walk past it without worrying if it starts up.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

skooma512 posted:

Propaganda only works if you can watch it. If you're on the street because rent went up 30% and your jobs laid you off to make record profits, you don't have a TV to mainline this poo poo anymore. You can watch it on your phone I guess, but good luck paying for the data. Material conditions like living in a tent make poo poo just hit differently.

That's what cops are for

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

The city i live in had to pass laws making it illegal for trains to sit at crossings within the city for more than an hour after 3 trains sat at 3 different crossings for half a day causing half the city to be cut off from the other half.

"we were here first" and "interstate commerce clause" will get us an 8-1 SCOTUS decision or better so would you like to settle these tickets by paying our attorney's fees, is what the railroads will say to any municipality that tries this

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

im_sorry posted:

I wonder how hard it is to uncouple train cars.. if you uncoupled the car you had to pass from the rest of the train, you could walk past it without worrying if it starts up.

it's easy, but also a terrorism charge

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

webcams for christ posted:

not terribly interested in rehashing this. but do you genuinely believe that USA in 2023 has the worst inequality in All of History? like worse than Apartheid South Africa? Worse than the US during Chattel Slavery? Ireland in 1848? Even going by Gini coefficient, the US isn't even at the top of the list. can you point to some measurement that lead you to hold your believe that right now is the Worst Ever?

I'm not saying things are good, but rather we have so, so much further to fall. There's so much more room for conditions to deteriorate. and I'm suggesting maybe Plutonomy isn't a coherent mode of historical material analysis, or even an accurate label. it was used by Citi to say that Luxury Brands were a good investment in 2005, which was correct. But there's no academic body of literature surrounding this concept in any social science, and we have another body of literature that has a lot to say about how contradictions arise and are "managed"

lmao tl;dr and/or SYQ

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

fits my needs posted:

quote:

especially in serving the Grandview Apartments, a large affordable housing complex just over a half-mile south of campus.

Seems like everybody is on the wrong side of the tracks one way or another

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Harik posted:

lmao tl;dr and/or SYQ

thread title

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

fits my needs posted:

The us has never given a drat about kids. It’s engrained into society.

No matter where you go outside of the US, people in other countries will go out of their way to help you out if they see you with kids. We have been waved past security lines, moved to the front of lines, etc whenever we’re out with our kids. In the US no one gives a gently caress if you have kids nd they’ll just complain and/or treat you like poo poo. Garbage country and society.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Glumwheels posted:

No matter where you go outside of the US, people in other countries will go out of their way to help you out if they see you with kids. We have been waved past security lines, moved to the front of lines, etc whenever we’re out with our kids. In the US no one gives a gently caress if you have kids nd they’ll just complain and/or treat you like poo poo. Garbage country and society.

hey what about that time we had to reopen schools though what about that

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

anonumos posted:

You mean the fake restaurants like Beast Burger that farm out orders of their lovely recipes to local joints? Yeah. That's been going on a while. Years.

Edit: All this talk of plutocracy reminds me of the "two speed recovery".

Similiar but from the other direction:

https://www.theverge.com/2019/6/28/19154220/grubhub-seamless-fake-restaurant-domain-names-commission-fees

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

there was a story a few years back of a pizza place that caught doordash doing this and they started ordering dozens of pizzas through the fake site, able to make money because they were using the old, incorrect prices (or lower prices to force the dude to use dd) but still paid the full price on the DD card the driver had

https://gizmodo.com/doordash-pizza-arbitrage-shows-the-fubar-economics-of-d-1843530770

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Link to paper

https://twitter.com/IDoTheThinking/status/1651317369283948559

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Paradoxish posted:

There's basically no pathway to get EVs into the hands of most people within the next decade without a program that would need to make cash for clunkers look quaint by comparison. It's trivially easy to keep even lovely cars running well beyond 200k miles at this point, and the absurd cost of new cars (and used cars lmao) is already starting to make expensive jobs like transmission or engine rebuilds a lot more attractive.

Man gently caress getting "EVs into the hands of most people" within the next decade or any other time--that would require making a practical and affordable car with real compromises on range, performance, and size. To hell with that!

Let's just say we're going to put a billion shabjillion EVs on the road by whatever date is required to meet some "climate goals", and then get subsidized to make expensive bullshit for rich people. Now we're cookin!

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

this was me for a year and a half in Alabama when I was 9 - we lived on one side of tracks that ran parallel to the road for a half mile before and my school was on the other side another half mile down.
that road hopped over the tracks at the end of the stretch and about seven times in that year and a half a train completely obliterated a car or truck. five of those times in the afternoon as school let out, so I had to climb over the train to get home or sit around for however many hours it took to clean up all the debris and body parts

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Glumwheels posted:

you gotta travel a bit to really just see how insane society has become here in general i mean theres always similarities but yeah

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Animal-Mother posted:

why not build bridges

lol ok captan kirk or maybe we can just teleport over the train tracks too

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Mr Hootington posted:

Remember '08? They bailed out Bear-Stearns, and then the next time they got all :colbert: about bailing someone out, and so we had Lehman Brothers.

We're re-running that extremely successful playbook! At least, I think it was successful. Now, to take a big sip of my drink and look up historical economic data starting shortly after the Lehman Brothers collapse...

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

HallelujahLee posted:

you gotta travel a bit to really just see how insane society has become here in general i mean theres always similarities but yeah

If more people in the US got outside and saw the rest of the world a good portion of them would probably change views on a lot of things.

However, most people can’t afford travel abroad to see new places and experience other cultures and societies.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Glumwheels posted:

If more people in the US got outside and saw the rest of the world a good portion of them would probably change views on a lot of things.

However, most people can’t afford travel abroad to see new places and experience other cultures and societies.

maybe at least update their perspectives but alot of those that do travel tend to be some of the worst turds this dump has to offer so its a double-edged sword

HallelujahLee has issued a correction as of 21:38 on Apr 26, 2023

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Paradoxish posted:

I'm really looking forward to all the tortured takes on why FRB is so much different from SVB and why FRB's depositors aren't worth saving.

if you ain't first, you're last

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

i have kids and dogs and I'm sympathetic to the dog owners on this one. They've been slowly excluded from everywhere else and kids drop poison entirely by accident because kids are kids.

when the two competing interests here are "dog owners" or "ruthless corporations making billions in profit every month and smug in their ownership of the federal government" I'm not gonna side with the rail industry and take a park away from dogs.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

HallelujahLee posted:

Good thing most Americans are too poor to travel and American media portrays anywhere outside of the anglosphere as being populated by barbarians.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

Morbus posted:

Man gently caress getting "EVs into the hands of most people" within the next decade or any other time--that would require making a practical and affordable car with real compromises on range, performance, and size. To hell with that!

Let's just say we're going to put a billion shabjillion EVs on the road by whatever date is required to meet some "climate goals", and then get subsidized to make expensive bullshit for rich people. Now we're cookin!

Funnily enough I was just talking about this with some work mates over lunch. How second hand cars are really expensive these days, 7% interest etc. Then I pointed out that in theory all new petrol cars are going to be banned in the UK from 2030 and absolutely shoot second hand prices through the roof again. Essentially the entire table exploded with laughter about how that was physically impossible and would cause literal riots.

Anyone who stops to think for more than 30 seconds about replacing all IC vehicles in the near term can see that it's just laughably unworkable with the current political climate. You just have to look at the reaction to stuff like the Just Stop Oil slow walking protests https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/just-stop-oil-begin-day-two-slow-walking-protests-london/.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

When's First Republic going to get to the fireworks factory?? :mad:

Unrelated:

https://twitter.com/MorePerfectUS/status/1651315986824327171?t=006ioFjVjfBlljsX7wlkNg&s=19