Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

lol owned

https://twitter.com/mollycrabapple/status/1652952744234237952

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Norton posted:

a librarian told me drunk guys at bars in the 80s and 90s used to call up libraries all the time to settle trivia poo poo.

now the same kind of guys believe any random thing they google and think americaneagle.info is the highest authority for information in the world

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Bar Ran Dun posted:

it’s all app based is what they did. basically just walking up and getting in line is a no go anymore.

thank you, technology, for making the experience of standing in a line somehow confusing

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

90s drunk trivia library callers are now brain-damaged vaccine injury truthers

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

smartphones have probably killed quizzo

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

I'm disgusted. Couldn't they pad the bill any higher?

There's legal hours, admin hours, programming hours, lunch, second lunch, billable pub meals, pub dinner, margaritas, you know that stuff isn't free and the user needs to pay his way.

What a parasite.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Norton posted:

im spending $3k a day on lightsabers and milk with food coloring in it, im being scammed someone help!

noooooo you don't understand, you're not just buying a lightsaber you are buying an experience

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1y2vo0bkiY

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

is pepsi ok posted:

noooooo you don't understand, you're not just buying a lightsaber you are buying an experience

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1y2vo0bkiY

quote:

@woochi7542
3 years ago
I like how all of them are adults because they probably grew up with the franchise and are OG fans. And building a light saber is like a dream come true.

Yup. Disney is doing them a favor by not literally taking the shirts off their backs so they can play with plastic toys.

What's 3 grand to pretend you're still a kid and not some soon to be middle aged reality denier?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/economics/status/1653381095134486528?s=20

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

my current belief where ai is potentially useful is not entirely chatgpt but rather giving input and getting analysis based on that input. there will still need to be human review but ingesting preexisting data and organizing it can save immense amounts of time. otherwise quite frankly it gets real loving annoying real quickly to have to continuously write endless prose into a prompt in order to get the output you want, and it doesn't work without context but even then still falls apart once you get past a certain amount of complexity.

for example you might ask it to write some code but it doesn't know what it's in, like a specific sort of file like a class or view or whatever, so it spits out some code with useless variables or libraries that may or may not be real or up to date. you can tell it to not use that, then ask for some changes to the code a bit later, and it goes back to using the same loving library.

it's very good at writing bullshit for loops and optimal algorithms that you can slot in so you don't miss something writing it from scratch, but you still need to do some amount of work.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

the alternative is talking to it and doing basically an advanced siri opposed to typing, but absolutely everyone loving hates using siri or any voice assistant so that'll never work

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I wouldn't trust an AI scipt bot to tell me to look up to see what color the sky was.

A random image generator that can eventually poo poo out "fantasy castle with waterfall and princess on pony" has some entertainment uses if you're willing to keep trying until you get one that isn't obviously hosed up, I guess.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

euphronius posted:

how did magazines and newspapers survive back in the day. I remember millions of magazines and newspapers

In addition to being the only content available to people, they also used to be the primary form of mass advertising.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
They didn't even make lightsabers on screen in the movies.

Blatant copying of the Harry potter wand poo poo.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

i trust everything the chat machine tells me because it has to follow the first rule of robotics

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Nothus posted:

In addition to being the only content available to people, they also used to be the primary form of mass advertising.

Back in the days when advertising money was spent on actual concrete readership numbers rather than unverifiable "views" which are totally not faked with bots or outright fraud, honest guv'nor.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Chad Sexington posted:

They didn't even make lightsabers on screen in the movies.

Blatant copying of the Harry potter wand poo poo.

Wands stink

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

haha you see we inverted the colors and changed some pixels so we technically do not have any copy of your image to delete, you cannot physically force us to do something logically impossible. qed love, the lawyers.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
You didn't register your personal photo trademark with the fava bean ministry in India so per page 665 section B, paragraph 9, get hosed.

Also that'll be ten thousand dollars.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Mola Yam posted:

"how X can use ChatGPT" is everything now. it's all content. that poo poo has bubbled out of the linkedin sewer and is now covering the streets of youtube and twitter

Yeah, where it's reaching the ears of idiot decision makers who don't understand that "this can write my dumb bullshit emails for me" is not the same as "this can do actual work"

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

euphronius posted:

smartphones have probably killed quizzo

The competitions I've been to ban smartphones, but I guess there'll always be cheaters if the bars aren't looking. I don't know if it's that much of a problem, though.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

How useful you think ChatGPT is to your daily work is unironically a very strong indicator of how useless your job happens to be

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Finally, 67% unemployment! Just like Volker dreamed of!

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

It can’t write in LaTeX or do basic logic, it’s kind of infuriating.

e: I thought the thread of well paid computer touchers would have seen how hard it is to get it to do math.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Paradoxish posted:

How useful you think ChatGPT is to your daily work is unironically a very strong indicator of how useless your job happens to be

this is my final hamon grift, jojo

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
ChatGPT customers to patronize ChatGPT businesses

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

19 o'clock posted:

ChatGPT customers to patronize ChatGPT businesses

as more social media becomes driven by bot-generated content, more people will leave. their dormant accounts will get picked up by scammers using bots to run them, and soon all of facebook will become an entirely AI-generated ecosystem where the bot versions of ourselves do all the reading and commenting and consuming for us so we can live our lives again.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

as more social media becomes driven by bot-generated content, more people will leave. their dormant accounts will get picked up by scammers using bots to run them, and soon all of facebook will become an entirely AI-generated ecosystem where the bot versions of ourselves do all the reading and commenting and consuming for us so we can live our lives again.

so, racism

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I keep waiting for the first idiot at my job to get caught using GPT not realizing that's basically leaking our codebase and end up getting themselves blackballed from the industry

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Palladium posted:

so, racism

idgi

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Paradoxish posted:

More important is how useful your boss thinks ChatGPT is to your daily work

I think I could be ChatGPT'd away. Not because I think a fancy autocorrect can do my work better, but because my boss uses my work to make convenient lies anyway and the machine can do more useful lies because it doesn't care if it's wrong.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Chad Sexington posted:

More important is how useful your boss thinks ChatGPT is to your daily work

I think I could be ChatGPT'd away. Not because I think a fancy autocorrect can do my work better, but because my boss uses my work to make convenient lies anyway and the machine can do more useful lies because it doesn't care if it's wrong.

It's basically a race between the grifters driving hype and the blowback from trying to shove these models into places where they can do real damage.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I keep waiting for the first idiot at my job to get caught using GPT not realizing that's basically leaking our codebase and end up getting themselves blackballed from the industry

It’s already happening and OpenAI is tiptoeing around how much access they have to what people have been sending it to compose work emails for them

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Frosted Flake posted:

It can’t write in LaTeX or do basic logic, it’s kind of infuriating.

e: I thought the thread of well paid computer touchers would have seen how hard it is to get it to do math.

People with means can still have artisan written code for personal projects, but chatPPG will be just fine for creating things for the public.

Oh, it doesn't work? Must be an error on the user's end. Or foreign sabotage.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Mola Yam posted:

"But why? Why did you commit these awful murders?"

*camera pushes in slowly on the villain's face, his inner pain and righteousness etched on his tired, defeated face*

"Why? As an artificial intelligence language model, I do not have the ability to interact with or harm physical objects or living beings in any way, including causing harm or killing people. I am a computer program designed..."

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

a.lo posted:

Wands stink

You might be using them wrong

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

our HR flunky just posted a wall of text about it being international Harry Potter day in @here in # general could a AI do this??

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
SOFI getting obliterated again today

I bought regional bank crash puts for June this morning. fun lotto tickets

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/SquawkStreet/status/1653401664055914496?t=_bG9OhFAS-BYQqXBKY_swA&s=19
https://twitter.com/DanielBZhao/status/1653401097262845954?t=L26MmbPP55xLLWmENnHw0Q&s=19
https://twitter.com/BLS_gov/status/1653399055999942657?t=AhWXDSuOq7VarXI0m4ZHQg&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Palladium posted:

so, racism

TayBook