Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Revitalized posted:

So let's say I've been rolling Seele's banner.

I just rolled Bronya out of it like 30-40 rolls in (neat!). Does this mean that 1.) my pity counter has been reset and 2.) the next time I hit 5* on the event banner, it's gonna be the event char? (seele in this case, or someone else if I wait)

yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Revitalized posted:

I just rolled Bronya out of it like 30-40 rolls in (neat!). Does this mean that 1.) my pity counter has been reset and 2.) the next time I hit 5* on the event banner, it's gonna be the event char? (seele in this case, or someone else if I wait)

Correct on both counts. So you're at 0/90 on pity and you'll get the banner event banner the next time you get a 5*. Whether that be Seele now, Jing Yuan next banner, or someone else further down the road.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Revitalized posted:

yes

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

to be extremely clear, here is how it works

You are guaranteed to get a 5* at 90 rolls without a 5*.
If you roll a 5* that isn't the rate-up 5*, your next 5* will be the rate-up character.

this carries across banners.

Rolling a 5* resets the counter because it's 90 rolls 'without a 5*.' you got one. so it resets.
if you roll a 5* that is the rate-up 5*, you don't get the guarantee of the rate-up character, because you got the rate-up 5*.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for the triple confirmation guys.

Man, Seele's lit whenever I try her out as a Support character, but I want to roll Kafka later down the line. Decisions decisions...

(I don't have enough star rail passes for the time being anyways)

edit: do event banner characters remain roll-able in a pool after their debut banner?

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Revitalized posted:

Thanks for the triple confirmation guys.

Man, Seele's lit whenever I try her out as a Support character, but I want to roll Kafka later down the line. Decisions decisions...

(I don't have enough star rail passes for the time being anyways)

Kafka is quite a ways away, so you’d have time to save up jade for her. That’s assuming you’re not rolling on any banner in between, of course.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Meiteron posted:

You misunderstand the nature of the pity system, which is understandable because it's two separate things.

First, eventually you get a 5-star reward. That's guaranteed. If it goes by the same system as Genshin which is almost certainly does, the "hard pity" is 90 rolls. However, the chance of pulling a 5-star begins to ramp up dramatically at 75 rolls. The moment you get a 5-star of any kind at any point, this pity counter resets. Once you rolled your Bailu the count became zero. There are separate pity timers for every separate banner on the Warp page (Character banner, Light Cone banner, Standard banner). The pity counter will roll over every time one of those banners changes, and is never lost.

Second, you have a 50% chance to get the banner 5-star character the first time you roll a 5-star. If you don't get them, you have a 100% chance to get the banner character the next time you roll a 5-star.

So: you rolled on the Seele banner, hit the pity counter, got a 5-star, which was Bailu. Having lost the coinflip, the next 5-star you roll on a character banner, even if it's not this banner but one in the future, is guaranteed to be the banner character. If you keep rolling on this banner your next 5-star will be Seele. If you wait three weeks, and roll on the next banner, it will be Jing Yuan. Once you've gotten this guaranteed 5-star character, you are back to a 50% coinflip.

gently caress, so me rolling on the Seele banner and getting a Bailu means I'll get whatever the next 5* I'll pull on is, as the main one, or one of the extras that exist on the banner, like clara or gepard? or is it only ever the featured one

I forget which banner I got them on but I got bailu on one banner and himeko on another

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

GreenBuckanneer posted:

w/r/t the years discussion

man how do I make my game look as nice as this

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

frajaq posted:

man how do I make my game look as nice as this

max out the settings and play on a 1440p144hz screen with a 5600x cpu and a 3070

and then get disappointed it's 45fps in this zone

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Revitalized posted:

edit: do event banner characters remain roll-able in a pool after their debut banner?

Based on Genshin, No. Unless they state otherwise that the character will be added to standard afterwards.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

gently caress, so me rolling on the Seele banner and getting a Bailu means I'll get whatever the next 5* I'll pull on is, as the main one, or one of the extras that exist on the banner, like clara or gepard? or is it only ever the featured one

I forget which banner I got them on but I got bailu on one banner and himeko on another

After you lose the 50/50 coinflip (which you did when you got Bailu), you're guaranteed to win the next one on that banner type and get the featured character.

edit: the banner types are character banner (currently Seele, will be Jing Yuan next) and light cone (should be self-explanatory). The standard banner, the one you use gray tickets to roll on instead of gold, does not have a rate-up character.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

character event banners do get reruns later on though, you dont have to let FOMO get the best of you if you miss out on a given character

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

the next 5* you get will be the featured rateup character, yes.

note that the standard banner and limited banner are entirely separate.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I like how Stelle gets to Space China and almost immediately starts flirting with the second fox girl she sees

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Bussamove posted:

Kafka is quite a ways away, so you’d have time to save up jade for her. That’s assuming you’re not rolling on any banner in between, of course.

Do we know how many banners we have until Silver Wolf? I want her on top of Kafka but I'm sick of seeing every video about the game basically being "IF YOU DO NOT HAVE SEELE YOU ARE STUPID AND BAD AND SHOULD UNINSTALL"-level hype on Seele. :negative:

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Any reason I shouldn't just salvage all the excess 3* light cones cluttering up my inventory? From what I can see, they give out the same amount of XP.

Same question goes for relics I guess, when they start accumulating.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Kyrosiris posted:

Do we know how many banners we have until Silver Wolf? I want her on top of Kafka but I'm sick of seeing every video about the game basically being "IF YOU DO NOT HAVE SEELE YOU ARE STUPID AND BAD AND SHOULD UNINSTALL"-level hype on Seele. :negative:

I wouldn't pay all that much attention to this stuff. Its by and large complete nonsense of people looking to get in on "the hype" and just saying a whole lot of whatever generally. It was like that for Genshin too then kind of moved onto doomposted about how you absolutely should NOT roll on x character. You can all but ignore youtube and the like as a resource when it comes to commentary on gacha titles.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Kyrosiris posted:

Silver Wolf is about a month away. It will be Version 1.1.

Honkai Star Rail follows the update cadence of Genshin Impact: three weeks per half, six weeks per version. Version 1.1 is expected on June 7th, 2023

digital penitence fucked around with this message at 00:57 on May 5, 2023

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Black Griffon posted:

Any reason I shouldn't just salvage all the excess 3* light cones cluttering up my inventory? From what I can see, they give out the same amount of XP.

Same question goes for relics I guess, when they start accumulating.

Mulch away. I'd say at the least get a fully superimposed copy of all of them first to hang on to, you never know when they might actually be useful. Otherwise just feed them to stuff you're using.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Silver Wolf looks great and more nihility is good, I just wish she wasn’t also quantum. I want elemental diversity!

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
From my understanding, the next banners will be:

Jing Yuan (lightning erudition)
Luocha (imaginary harmony)
Silver Wolf (quantum nihility)
Kafka (lightning nihility)
Blade (wind destruction)
redacted (imaginary destruction)

So Jing Yuan on May 17th, Luocha on June 7th, Silver Wolf three weeks after him, etc.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Kyrosiris posted:

i wouldn't worry about seele.

at the end of the day all she really does is hit one target really good. and the thing about characters whose whole shtick is "hit stuff good" is that they are destined to be outclassed by someone who hits things even better.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

Every video will say that about every character, every banner. Except for the ones that say "THIS IS THE WORST CHARACTER, DO NOT WASTE YOUR PRIMOS HERE, YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE FOREVER RUINED IF YOU WASTE ROLLS ON THIS CHARACTER!!!!!!"

Welcome to gacha related youtube.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
seele is pure serotonin for a turn based game where you instead go "no it isn't" so it makes sense

spoiler speculation; the MC is just the stellaron piloting the receptacle like a giant mech suit and isn't aware of it yet aren't they, that's gonna be the bit

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Brutor Fartknocker posted:

Every video will say that about every character, every banner. Except for the ones that say "THIS IS THE WORST CHARACTER, DO NOT WASTE YOUR PRIMOS HERE, YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE FOREVER RUINED IF YOU WASTE ROLLS ON THIS CHARACTER!!!!!!"

Welcome to gacha related youtube.

The only Genshin video guy I've found that seems good is IWinToLose, though his videos are funny because they still have the clickbait thumbnails (but they just don't reflect the content of the video). I think he's also doing videos for this, but haven't watched any.

The only Genshin 5* where he hasn't been able to come up with some sort of positive is Dehya; everything else usually has at least some role they're particularly good at.

UHD posted:

i wouldn't worry about seele.

at the end of the day all she really does is hit one target really good. and the thing about characters whose whole shtick is "hit stuff good" is that they are destined to be outclassed by someone who hits things even better.

Yeah, this is how it's been in Genshin. The utility characters usually do better in the long run. Diluc was considered the best 5* pull early on, while he's probably the second or third least desirable standard banner 5* now.

This game does have a lot of niches, though, due to all the elements and Paths. Even if there's another better single target DPS, it'll probably be a long time until there's a better "Quantum single-target DPS specializing in speed."

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 01:15 on May 5, 2023

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I like to imagine all the other characters getting all wound up for a fight and then Seele starts in on her bullshit and everyone else is just standing there pissed off they don't get a turn.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
what is up with these boutique class names, I see these lists and its like

Jamiroquai (virtual insanity)
Axel (appetite 4 destruction)
Britta (dan harmony)

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Gamerofthegame posted:

seele is pure serotonin for a turn based game where you instead go "no it isn't" so it makes sense

spoiler speculation; the MC is just the stellaron piloting the receptacle like a giant mech suit and isn't aware of it yet aren't they, that's gonna be the bit

I don't know if you played Honkai, but what Cocolia says in the run up to the fight with her is exactly what people giving in to the will of the Honkai say, about how this world is meaningless and humans are untrustworthy and worthless. And then she turns into a hd version of the Herrscher of Ice. While Stellarons might not be Herrscher cores, they are pretty drat close, whatever they actually are. So that theory wouldn't surprise me.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kyrosiris posted:

spoilers: a lot of those guys are sponsored mihoyo streamers theyre gonna say that about every character in the game

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Simply do not watch videos about these games, in my opinion. The games aren't that hard and there's no opinion you're gonna hear there that you can't form yourself, and, also spare yourself a lot of dumb bullshit in the process.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

All videos that aren't just calm demonstrations of the character's performance should be ignored (and also those if you just don't care about that stuff, which is probably the healthiest way to engage with the game).

The worst thing is "videos of people doing pulls." That stuff is deranged. Just watching someone giving into their gambling addiction while a bunch of other gambling addicts get vicariously high in the comments.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

On Genshin/Star Rail youtuber, the ones I've come to trust are Zajef because he always shows his math for what he's saying, the spreadsheet king though he's only Genshin. Previously mentioned IWinToLose he's a crazy whale but knows what he's doing and tries to keep in mind people playing at lower spending levels and honestly watching him do runs is a pretty good advertisement for why you shouldn't whale. Braxaphone's commentary is pretty good overall, his Star Rail stuff is coming off pretty decently I liked his guide on the BP lightcones he just put out. Sevy makes good guides for both games too.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, this is how it's been in Genshin. The utility characters usually do better in the long run. Diluc was considered the best 5* pull early on, while he's probably the second or third least desirable standard banner 5* now.

This game does have a lot of niches, though, due to all the elements and Paths. Even if there's another better single target DPS, it'll probably be a long time until there's a better "Quantum single-target DPS specializing in speed."

oh absolutely. she's good at what she does. i just dont think skipping her is a big deal since qingque exists.

especially if luocha is coming in like a month to fill the bigger void of imaginary types.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Mulch away. I'd say at the least get a fully superimposed copy of all of them first to hang on to, you never know when they might actually be useful. Otherwise just feed them to stuff you're using.

Oh yeah I should superimpose my copies too, good point. Cheers!

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Wrapped up the available main storyline content just barely dinging TL37. I hope there's a metric ton of sidequests in this zone to make up the difference to 40 because it sucks being stuck at CL50. Not seeing it in my guidebook but I assume the ebon deer should be another weekly boss?

Also I guess it's cool that I'm now a long-lived species, on top of whatever lifespan increase the trailblaze path and being a stellaron-meatsuit gives me. Probably safe to assume true infinite lifespan at this point.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

sushibandit posted:

Also I guess it's cool that I'm now a long-lived species, on top of whatever lifespan increase the trailblaze path and being a stellaron-meatsuit gives me. Probably safe to assume true infinite lifespan at this point.

What, because you ate the obvious poison?

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

sushibandit posted:

Wrapped up the available main storyline content just barely dinging TL37. I hope there's a metric ton of sidequests in this zone to make up the difference to 40 because it sucks being stuck at CL50. Not seeing it in my guidebook but I assume the ebon deer should be another weekly boss?

Wait, I completely forgot about that. So we were turned immortal by that drink? But it kind of isn't explained fully and maybe it's some other plot poison relevant when the rest of the story comes out.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Bruceski posted:

What, because you ate the obvious poison?
Take no risks, win no prizes.

Autisanal Cheese posted:

So we were turned immortal by that drink?
Pill, but apparently yes. I also chose not to fight her during the confrontation, then she explained that it's either a poison or real immortality medicine depending on which recipe was used, claimed she always had my best interest in mind, and wanted me to just walk away rather than fight.

I have no doubt it will come up later in the storyline, but I'll take it at face value for now.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I thought it's not explicitly a poison, per se, but it was meant to turn the MC into a mara-cursed mindless abomination. Being a receptacle for a Stellaron and not a normal human being, we just get a bit sick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

:getin:

(Seele)