Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
Previously on Manly Guys Doing Manly Things, even MORE Commander backstory

This time, is it possible to be TOO chill?
03/09/2014 - Non-violent Protest

quote:

So hey, some exciting announcements, I have given up hope of being able to competently run a kickstarter on my own going by how completely undewater I am with just comics and work alone, but I’m teaming up with the fine folks at Hiveworks who are offering their publishing and Kickstarter managerial services! MGDMT print and ebooks are going to be a reality!

Also, I’m on Patreon now! It’s just a way for me to save up some cash on the side for things like producing my other comic slated to launch in March or getting more tattoos or whatever it is I keep emergency funds for. Think of it sort of like a tip jar, there is absolutely no obligation to throw anything in and the comic will be produced and free for everyone to read either way! But if you do feel like pledging to it there are extra little goodies like desktops and behind-the-scenes WIP art and alerts when I’m livestreaming my process for you to enjoy!

Also also, the show I’ve been working on has started airing! It’s a 13-part miniseries rebooting Carl Sagan’s Cosmos series, hosted by Neil DeGrasse Tyson airing every Sunday on Fox! We’ve been working on it like crazy and I’m super excited that people can finally enjoy the fruits of our labour!

03/16/2014 - But mental illness is so cool and enviable

quote:

I always felt like one of the big reasons Omar was almost unilaterally more poplar with fans of the Wire than McNulty (who was arguably the “main character” of the show) could be due to the fact that McNulty was sort of a pile of angry tortured male protagonist tropes that show up in every drama while Omar had a sense of humour and a full emotional spectrum and was still an undeniably badass dude on top of all that. You watch enough of this stuff and you kind of hit that point where you realize that the dude who owns his emotions and deals with his poo poo is probably more intimidating and fearless than the one who bottles it all up and wastes their energy trying to look like an unaffected coolguy.

03/23/2014 - We’re not done yet!

quote:

I keep cutting it down to the wire but it’s so I can actually get some progress happening on buttons! And Platinum Black! The MGDMT buttons will be for sale at TCAF, I’m planning to give the Platinum Black ones out as freebies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Yakisoba bread is good, the commander's back story in MGDMT is also good.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

RICE BOY

2 updates remain

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

THE CARPET MERCHANT OF KONSTANTINIYYA

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Ahhhh I want a noodle roll they're so tasty

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Samovar posted:

Maybe she hates him because he was the better student.

On the reread, I'm starting to realize that one of the overarching themes of the comic is that Maya is a huge loving idiot.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Fister Roboto posted:

On the reread, I'm starting to realize that one of the overarching themes of the comic is that Maya is a huge loving idiot.

...hmm. Yeah, I was looking for deeper meanings, but honestly that is the best conclusion by far.

That "beep" is really upsetting for reasons I can't quite understand.

Hempuli posted:

Sorry for the lack of rear end! I had to finish my thesis all of a sudden and that kind of took up my attention. I'll get to posting some good rear end tomorrow.

I enjoyed this post
I hope it leads to a foolish misunderstanding and some kind of escalating farce

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Nondescript space future where the military is explicitly run by the marketing department is kind of dystopian but also hilarious, somehow works with the mostly absurd tone.

It's very Venture Bros, that's it.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Van von Hunter

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

And now, the last Hothead Paisan outing. Part 1 of 3:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

The Saddest Rhino posted:

RICE BOY

2 updates remain

he didn't change forms rice boy, he just changed clothes. that doesn't count.

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
A vampiric seagull is the most scary thing I've considered in any vampire fiction.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Chatrapati posted:

A vampiric seagull is the most scary thing I've considered in any vampire fiction.

Having stayed in an apartment where regular seagulls invited themselves in through the bedroom skylight without my express spoken permission, I would rather face a vampiric one.

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

cool meme lol

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

CrocodileKingSaysNO posted:

LAST TIME ON CLOWN CORPS

we all hate Barry

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Bitchy Butch: World's Angriest Dyke
Spoiler for lesbian sex and Butchy takes a piss

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

I’m not sure if this is what you mean, but this was published about three years before David Icke first wrote about lizard people controlling everything, so if she’s leaning in to the weird anti-Semitic conspiracy theory, she’s also a time traveler, and I don’t know which of those facts I’d find more distasteful

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Bybloemen

Illuminated field reports, how about that. Our Ludwig is a conscientious boy, for all his posturing.

Shinozaki's Daily Maintenance

Flashback time.

What's your favourite engine?

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

The Adventures of Dr. McNinja - Issue #1: "Meet The Doctor and His Friendly Staff"

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Last time on Joey's Special Experience by Hirohiko Archie: A horn shoots out from the man in the pillar, impaling a coconut! They try to turn the UV lights up, but the pillar man covers them in blood and gore!

Read right to left:

Required optional soundtrack for this page

lmfao

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Emzedoh posted:

What's your favourite engine?

what a gal

Ditocoaf posted:

The Adventures of Dr. McNinja - Issue #1: "Meet The Doctor and His Friendly Staff"

man i forgot how great this comic is

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

Thirty minutes or it's OH HOLY GOD PLEASE NO NOT TODAY

Beef didn't catch the Steven/Stephen thing. Honestly, it's such a stupid vestigial thing.

Ray assumes that graphic design usually takes about an hour.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

One of the most iconic pages of all time

Fister Roboto posted:

I think it's just that Maya is too soft-hearted of a person. She had both ambition and ability but her lack of ruthlessness is both a weakness and also the reason why Meti saw her as a worthy student. Not really a spoiler, just conjecture about later in the comic: The trajectory of Maya's arc is something that was maybe inevitable and even if she had done things differently it wouldn't have necessarily made anything better. In fact, things happening as they did may have positioned everything into the best possible circumstance

Chako definitely is true Royalty, though

Kill Six Billion Demons

Alt: Desecration

quote:

“From this hour forward the gates of the city will be barred to my kin. Do not underestimate them. Do not commune with them. Do not give them offerings, or give them bread or Ajash if they visit you disguised. Many of them have a sweet countenance and a honeyed tongue. They will say their wish is to be a teacher of men, to spread messages of peace. In an earlier age, this was true. Now dogs and worse have crept into their ranks. Madness has consumed them. Their only passion now is a lust for blood and power.”

-Proclamation of Au Vam

Alt: "It is said Sword Saint Meti had a great fondness for rats. Like dogs, they did not complain much, ate almost anything, and kept you warm at night."

quote:

Law of Blades

Alt: They're back!

quote:

Private Devils

Kit Walker has a new favorite as of 08:37 on May 5, 2023

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Meti gets all the best lines, doesn't she?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Well she is strongly based on Diogenes, guy who told off Alexander the Great for blocking his sunlight.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

speaking of customer service representatives falling in love,

mr mr boop
book 4, 182-186
https://mrboop.net/

seems healthy, no concerns here

Inexplicable Humblebrag has a new favorite as of 09:26 on May 5, 2023

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Mr. Boop goes places.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

By popular demand posted:

Well she is strongly based on Diogenes, guy who told off Alexander the Great for blocking his sunlight.

Diogenes plus every movie martial arts master ever, yes.

Emzedoh posted:

Wakako-Zake 26.5th Night: Sake at home part 2

Skipping a whole pile of bonus pages at the start of the volume, please find them here:
https://mangadex.org/chapter/6f77066b-f604-41e1-8767-666c26bf6450/1

Wakako-Zake 27th Night: Mapo tofu

Japanese peppers? That's got to be a mistranslation.

I regret that my only exposure to traditional Chinese liquor has been baijiu which is... pretty tough stuff, to be honest. I like mapo tofu even though I sometimes have to take two cracks at it before I can finish. Spicy food can be hard, ok?

Emzedoh has a new favorite as of 09:32 on May 5, 2023

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Didn't he try the same thing with a soldier of an invading army later, and basically ended up being the stabbed man in the"What are you gonna do, stab me?" headline?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

You're mixing him up with Pythagoras.

My bad, but as I named a natural science guy I was closer than the previous goon.

By popular demand has a new favorite as of 09:36 on May 5, 2023

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Archimedes, surely. Do not disturb my circles!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Emzedoh posted:

Archimedes, surely. Do not disturb my circles!

Right, it was that guy! Mouthy bunch, those mathematicians.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Regardless we can all agree that ancient philosophers had the best burns.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

it's all that Greek Fire

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

True as the three angles of a triangle are equal to two right angles.

That one's Spinoza.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Emzedoh posted:

Japanese peppers? That's got to be a mistranslation.

I assume this is referring to Sichuan peppercorns. Not sure why it would get translated as Japanese Pepper, but that's what fits best in that description of the dish.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

it's all that Greek Fire

I thought Greek fire was a later invention?

Also, K6BD has a very good character in Meti.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Tenebrais posted:

I assume this is referring to Sichuan peppercorns. Not sure why it would get translated as Japanese Pepper, but that's what fits best in that description of the dish.

It seems that Japanese pepper is zanthoxylum piperitum, which is closely related to Sichuan pepper.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zanthoxylum_piperitum

Maybe it's not a mistranslation and Chinese restaurants in Japan do use local pepper? I checked a dictionary and there are different words for each: sanshō (山椒) for Japanese pepper, Kashō (花椒) for Sichuan pepper. Anyway, maybe someone who knows more could weigh in.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Tree Bucket posted:

I enjoyed this post
I hope it leads to a foolish misunderstanding and some kind of escalating farce

"Oh no, Tree Bucket said that they appreciate my rear end! But they haven't seen me - maybe they've developed a misunderstanding of the size of my rear end based on my comments on this forum and are acting under a misapprehension about my rear end?"
"Revealing that my rear end might not be like they expect would be very embarrassing, therefore the best course of action is to keep replying as if my rear end matched their expectation, but also add something negative to everything I say to them so that I drive them away and they never see the truth about my rear end."

Thanks! But it's not like I appreciate you or anything...!

Why did Hempuli behave like this? This could explain it:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

:perfect: