Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

donate your switch to a pre-school

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Okay, here's a request for a simultaneously really specific and really general game recommendation:

I'm looking for something that plays decently on the SD, that I can probably finish completely in no more than 20 hours, and that plays well in 5-15 minute bursts. Doesn't have to actually be a short form game, just something that's not bad to put down and pick up. I just recently finished playing through Dredge and that worked really well.

I have way too much downtime while I'm working or stuck in meetings that barely involve me and the SD has been loving awesome to keep me from going out of my mind, but a lot of that is just playing roguelikes and stuff like that. I'm looking for something more traditional that I can actually start, play through, and finish in those little moments of downtime. Don't care about genre, don't care if it's new or old, don't even care if it has good controller support since I like the trackpads, as long as it's something where the UI isn't unusable or annoying on the Deck's screen.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Marlow Briggs and The Mask of Death. Plays like classic God of War.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

King of Solomon posted:

A grip might help a little bit. I know I find my switch far more comfortable to use with my satisfye grip

That grip is really the best one. Super comfy.

Shadski
Jun 1, 2011

Paradoxish posted:

Okay, here's a request for a simultaneously really specific and really general game recommendation:

I'm looking for something that plays decently on the SD, that I can probably finish completely in no more than 20 hours, and that plays well in 5-15 minute bursts. Doesn't have to actually be a short form game, just something that's not bad to put down and pick up. I just recently finished playing through Dredge and that worked really well.

I have way too much downtime while I'm working or stuck in meetings that barely involve me and the SD has been loving awesome to keep me from going out of my mind, but a lot of that is just playing roguelikes and stuff like that. I'm looking for something more traditional that I can actually start, play through, and finish in those little moments of downtime. Don't care about genre, don't care if it's new or old, don't even care if it has good controller support since I like the trackpads, as long as it's something where the UI isn't unusable or annoying on the Deck's screen.

I completed subnautica in this fashion and really enjoyed it

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Paradoxish posted:

Hades, vampire survivors, boneraiser minions, rogue legacy?

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

RandolphCarter posted:

I just held my switch for the first time in a very long time, and its way too small after getting used to the deck.

This for real. tears of the kingdom is going to be so awkward.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Paradoxish posted:

Aside from the things mentioned here already, the Ezio trilogy for Assassin's Creed (or honestly any of the good AC games), Mad Max, the two LotR Shadows of games, MGR Revengeance, Guacamelee, and basically any of the Yakuza games once you get them started and sit through all the opening cutscenes that set up the story. Then they all become tons of minigames and street fights.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Ive been surprisingly uncrippled by my switch after a couple days of kingdom tearing now, I figured since Id already paid for the game I didnt feel bad about grabbing the leak after spending a very anxious 20 minutes stabbing my switch in the guts with a soldering iron.

Ive had a lot of breaks to gently caress around on my deck too though so maybe the secret is rehabbing with an actually ergonomic console at the same time as playing on the torture oblong.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

See if your satellites have a setting for mDNS relay or similar. That traffic sometimes doesn’t get bridged to reduce noise or something, I don’t really understand it.

Thanks! I don't understand it either, but it's the best and only lead I have so nothing Google and I can't figure out in a day

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I managed to beat Doom Eternal and all DLC entirely on the steam deck. I am finishing games, eventually!

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

History Comes Inside! posted:

Lots of people really wanting something to be possible isnt going to magically make the deck any more powerful

buddy ive heard of people getting 30 fps on jedi survivor on the deck. thats more than it gets on like half of consumer pcs

like, last year my workplace paid 850-ish for a pretty powerful computer for me to do work with. I bought a deck sometime last year and this thing plays cyberpunk with an almost steady 50-60fps, im pretty sure it would make my computer explode. that's impressive for something that's 1/3rd of the price.

I tried to pick a machine that would go for games too. Deck gets 60fps on doom, my computer struggles to get 25

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 23:50 on May 6, 2023

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Subjunctive posted:

I reinstall my desktop periodically just for that fresh-new-notebook/September-in-a-new-grade sense of reinvention. Every timeevery timeI forget to back something up and lose some game configuration or a working directory for a dumb project that I didnt push to github, but I keep doing it for that dopamine.

partitions, my child... partitions...

(use a separate home partition for your user directory and then you can wipe the system and reinstall

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Thanks for the recommendations! I've been meaning to give Subnautica a proper playthrough, so I might give that a shot and see how it goes.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Man I love Subnautica. It does murder the decks battery but then I usually play dead cells or vampire survivors on mine so when I play a beefy game its a little surprising to me.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

alexandriao posted:

(use a separate home partition for your user directory and then you can wipe the system and reinstall

yeah I had a workspace partition and forgot which drive it was on when I wiped things

onedrive does OK, but I also just try to not be stupid all the time

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Subjunctive posted:

yeah I had a workspace partition and forgot which drive it was on when I wiped things

onedrive does OK, but I also just try to not be stupid all the time

hard mode

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

extremely

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

My friends who will be returning to the Switch on the 12th, please do yourself a favor and get a Satisfye grip

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Beve Stuscemi posted:

My friends who will be returning to the Switch on the 12th, please do yourself a favor and get a Satisfye grip

Ditto. Incredible how much better it feels on the hands with that grip

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

RandolphCarter posted:

I just held my switch for the first time in a very long time, and its way too small after getting used to the deck.

I was playing with my Retroid Pocket 3+ today and dang this thing is tiny now.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

alexandriao posted:

I understand why they don't want to bolt partitioning stuff onto every installer, but this would have been helpful as an easy automatic option in the GUI for me. Installed a few OSes recently here.

bacon!
Dec 10, 2003

The fierce urgency of now
Steamdeck disk surgery trip report for those who might be nervous. I didn't want to re-install the OS, as I have spent 999999hours managing all of my NES rom artwork. I used clonezilla to directly clone the disk to the new one prior to the install.

- I bought the 1TB Western Digital drive from AliExpress
- I also bought a USB-C external enclosure for M2 drives from Amazon (it supports multiple sizes, and is practical to have around after the install)
- I followed these steps but once I got to the part of actually choosing a target, I did a direct drive-to-drive imaging and chose the new disk (which was mounted in the external enclosure). This only took maybe 20 minutes?.. and worked like a charm.
- I did choose "proportionally size my partitions" in clonezilla - now I have slightly larger root partitions and ~800gb free for games. This might have been a stupid choice, but easy enough to fix later
- Performed the surgery - the 1TB drive is a little chonky and I had to puff out the foil sheath to make it fit

It works like a charm, very very seamless. The physical disk installation was quite easy; taking the battery connector out was probably the sketchiest part (took a lot of wiggling) but overall its a very low difficulty procedure. 13 screws, a little wiggling, a little tape peeling. Easy 2/10 difficulty would HD upgrade again.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

bacon! posted:

Steamdeck disk surgery trip report for those who might be nervous. I didn't want to re-install the OS, as I have spent 999999hours managing all of my NES rom artwork. I used clonezilla to directly clone the disk to the new one prior to the install.

thank u for the :greencube:

If every emulator enjoyer is struggling with the same conern, somebody should write a specific backup utility for your zelda cover arts for the, whatever the emulation suite it is we're using. There are loads of situations where you'd want to nuke everything except your zero suit samus art and save files from high school NESticle. I cry for anybody doing manual metadata.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I got the 2TB WD and it slipped into the little foil jacket like a glove.

You have to go business-end first because trying to go the other way makes it snag.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Mescal posted:

I understand why they don't want to bolt partitioning stuff onto every installer, but this would have been helpful as an easy automatic option in the GUI for me. Installed a few OSes recently here.

Separate /home is a fairly common default among Linux distros. Most manage reusing it, too.

A common pain point between all modern OS' is that if you nuke the underlying OS and replace it, the user profile will now be owned by an unknown user ID. On Linux this is fairly easy to solve (reuse the UID or take ownership of the entire directory), but on Windows it's quite complicated

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Antigravitas posted:

On Linux this is fairly easy to solve, but on Windows it's quite complicated.

Truer words were never spoken.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

:greencube:

If you can't find your file, do this

code:
chmod +rw foldername
touch foldername
The first command (re-)allows read and write permission. The second changes the timestamp the file was last written. I don't konw why this fixes anything. If anybody knows what causes this, please let me know.

Edit for clarity: This is not a change in visibility, from the system's POV. It's a hacky bugfix for behavior that might be unique to SteamOS. The bug is not a GUI bug! The same bug is seen in command line.

Mescal fucked around with this message at 18:35 on May 7, 2023

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”

Paradoxish posted:

Batman Arkham City

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
Has anyone ever put Fallout: Tale of Two Wastelands on a Steak Deck? Is there a way I could fit it entirely on a SD card? I don't think it would even fit on my 64GB version otherwise.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I'm torn between that or the Hori Split Pad Pro, which is just a few bucks more.

Might not even use it handheld, so holding off for now. That's a pricey accessory for a single game.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Heran Bago posted:

I'm torn between that or the Hori Split Pad Pro, which is just a few bucks more.

Might not even use it handheld, so holding off for now. That's a pricey accessory for a single game.

I have both and I like the split pad pro. I dont like how cheap the split pad pro feels though.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Mescal posted:

:greencube:

If you can't find your file, do this

code:
chmod +w foldername
touch foldername
The first command (re-)allows write permission. The second changes the timestamp the file was last written. I don't konw why this fixes anything. If anybody knows what causes this, please let me know.

This is not good advice, since touch only updates modification time and doesnt affect visibility. Please dont spread this misapprehension to other people via the OP.

I suspect whats happening is that you are using a graphical file browser and it is sorting by last-modified time. The file youre looking for is scrolled off the end somewhere and moves to the top when its mtime is changed. Even if thats not it, its definitely not the case that touch unhides files.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

This is not good advice, since touch only updates modification time and doesnt affect visibility. Please dont spread this misapprehension to other people via the OP.

I suspect whats happening is that you are using a graphical file browser and it is sorting by last-modified time. The file youre looking for is scrolled off the end somewhere and moves to the top when its mtime is changed. Even if thats not it, its definitely not the case that touch unhides files.

Have you run into this yourself? When it happens, this behaviour is identical in GUI and TTY. You may be correct in assuming idiocy, but you're wrong about what's happening. Now I wish I'd recorded it when I ran this fix earlier today, it was the 3rd or 4th time I've done it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yes, please record it and post in detail what youre doing (what software, how youre looking for the file, etc) and what you mean by show up.

Do you mean that it doesnt appear in an ls of its parent directory, by in tty?

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

Yes, please record it and post in detail what youre doing (what software, how youre looking for the file, etc) and what you mean by show up.

Do you mean that it doesnt appear in an ls of its parent directory, by in tty?

No, I'm telling you, the files are not hidden. They're not read or write restricted. You gotta believe me. They don't show up in ls and they can't be opened with a command, they ain't there 99% of the ways you can interact with a file. I will absolutely record this next time it happens.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
please do, and run a stat filename against it before and after.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I believe you Mescal.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Heran Bago posted:

I believe you Mescal.

You're a homie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Touch creates a file if it doesn't exist, is what I think you're seeing.