Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Haha yeah, jort lady, she was cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Something to it that Hank ruined Crime Utopia twice.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I'm late but someone said earlier in the thread that Cristobal "realizes" why he can't leave Hank and you can see it in the actor's performance. I watched the scene again and at no point do I think Cristobal actually realizes what's going on. I think if he did, it deflates what's happening, because the show's basically saying the character would rather immediately choose suicide via letting it happen instead of, y'know, figuring out a way to escape at a later time. Thoughts? Or did I miss the discussion?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

DaveKap posted:

I'm late but someone said earlier in the thread that Cristobal "realizes" why he can't leave Hank and you can see it in the actor's performance. I watched the scene again and at no point do I think Cristobal actually realizes what's going on. I think if he did, it deflates what's happening, because the show's basically saying the character would rather immediately choose suicide via letting it happen instead of, y'know, figuring out a way to escape at a later time.

I think you're right, and it's supposed to be a contrast to when Barry kills Chris

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7nNaBTrCHM

Chris realizes why he can't leave the situation too late and tried to walk it back; Cristobal was what happens when your mind's made-up. You're left to wonder which is worse. For me it's still Chris because god that extra minute of both of them visibly waiting was brutal

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Bill Hader plays Barry so well, because it's clear when he's angry, yes when he's happy, it's less clear. Also, it's very strange how Barry has almost no personality, which works so well in this show. It's kind of creepy to think about.

Meanwhile, here's a Bill Hader palette-cleanser, and one of my favourite videos on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOrxlGYcBro

"It's 8:15, are you kidding me?!"

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

I think Cristobal figured out what Hank was suggesting but never thought Hank would actually have him killed, the "you are going to let me walk to my car" etc bit is him saying no Hank you're not going to kill me today

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
That would still be a misunderstanding of the situation on Cristobal's part. Hank didn't have him killed. The Chechens had him killed. Cristobal still thought he and Hank were the big man in charge, but they had indeed been taken over already. The big boss laid it out pretty clearly when he said that as long as Cristobal was part of Hanks family, he was part of their family. Unfortunately, Cristobal was understandably upset and done with Hank, so he didn't reassess what the situation was.

Aside, I love how the terrifying Chechan crime syndicate is extremely accepting of Hank's sexuality.

This show is full of people messing up by misunderstanding their current situation and status. Sally trying to steal a job from her student is one. Gene giving an interview when the situation is a long way from secure is another.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Quick question because I can’t check at work and me and a coworker are disagreeing on something, did that agent offer Sally a job of $70k a meeting to teach acting or was he saying he’d represent her for that much a meeting he books?

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

Wittgen posted:

Aside, I love how the terrifying Chechan crime syndicate is extremely accepting of Hank's sexuality.

It's right up there with the season 1 gag of them being obsessed with self-help books, maybe my favorite bit in the whole show.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I think more people should mention the Chechen leader is Michael ironside. Which kicks rear end.

Also the agent was Emile from RoboCop, so two Verhoven alums in one episode. Ronny Cox when Hader?

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Robobot posted:

Quick question because I can’t check at work and me and a coworker are disagreeing on something, did that agent offer Sally a job of $70k a meeting to teach acting or was he saying he’d represent her for that much a meeting he books?

He offered her $70k per movie to coach the actors, not per meeting.

Edit: I rewatched, and the exact dialogue is "I'd start at seventy thousand per movie", which is a bit ambiguous, but is clearly him advising her on how much she should charge.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 15:09 on May 5, 2023

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Wittgen posted:

That would still be a misunderstanding of the situation on Cristobal's part. Hank didn't have him killed. The Chechens had him killed. Cristobal still thought he and Hank were the big man in charge, but they had indeed been taken over already. The big boss laid it out pretty clearly when he said that as long as Cristobal was part of Hanks family, he was part of their family. Unfortunately, Cristobal was understandably upset and done with Hank, so he didn't reassess what the situation was.

This show is full of people messing up by misunderstanding their current situation and status. Sally trying to steal a job from her student is one. Gene giving an interview when the situation is a long way from secure is another.

Cristobal was not in the room during the big boss chat. That was hank only.

There’s no way Cristobal knew that was coming. He probably assumed Hank would never take him out himself and felt safe because he thought it was only the 2 of them. He probably didn’t take Hank’s threat of knowing too much at face value either because of all the other times he’s escaped death in the show.

IMO, Cristobal’s performance was one of pure disgust with Hank. There was no sadness or acceptance of Cristobal’s own fate. It was just raw, virulent, and I’m going to vomit if I stay here.

SimonChris posted:

He offered her $70k per movie to coach the actors, not per meeting.

Edit: I rewatched, and the exact dialogue is "I'd start at seventy thousand per movie", which is a bit ambiguous, but is clearly him advising her on how much she should charge.

I didn’t read the scene like this. I didn’t rewatch it, but I understood he was offering to be her (acting, not coaching) agent, and she’d have to take some horrifically bad roles where he guaranteed her $70k per film, until she did enough to reclaim her status and get better roles. He’s salivating at it because he knows she’s an excellent actor and wants to get in early because he thinks he can rise up the ranks alongside her.

The agent even explicitly talks about her trying to scoop the role, and how good her performance was compared to his actress. Him acknowledging this makes it extremely clear that she is a terrible coach because she’s only there for herself. What agent wants an acting coach for his clients that is going to actively attempt to steal roles from them, or to show directors just how terrible his client really is at acting?

That feels like career suicide for the agent.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

I didn’t read the scene like this. I didn’t rewatch it, but I understood he was offering to be her (acting, not coaching) agent, and she’d have to take some horrifically bad roles where he guaranteed her $70k per film, until she did enough to reclaim her status and get better roles. He’s salivating at it because he knows she’s an excellent actor and wants to get in early because he thinks he can rise up the ranks alongside her.

The agent even explicitly talks about her trying to scoop the role, and how good her performance was compared to his actress. Him acknowledging this makes it extremely clear that she is a terrible coach because she’s only there for herself. What agent wants an acting coach for his clients that is going to actively attempt to steal roles from them, or to show directors just how terrible his client really is at acting?

That feels like career suicide for the agent.

Barry posted:

Guy: "Kristen's a delicate flower. She is incredibly self-conscious, and if it was up to her, she'd stay in Utah working for her parents. But with you, she could actually be good."
Sally: "No thanks."
Guy: "I'd start at 70 thousand per movie. You'd be able to meet the biggest directors and producers in the business. You could get your career back on track. I saw what you were doing back there, trying to scoop that role. It's okay. It's commendable. I can't have you doing that on every movie, but I can help you. I can help you get the roles, the best roles that you are appropriate for. I'll let you think about it."

I read that to mean that she would start as an acting coach but would eventually be able to get roles herself.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

CelticPredator posted:

I think more people should mention the Chechen leader is Michael ironside. Which kicks rear end.

Also the agent was Emile from RoboCop, so two Verhoven alums in one episode. Ronny Cox when Hader?

it occurred to me during the episode we also got an Office Space reunion between Milton and the Jump to Conclusions Mat guy

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

SimonChris posted:

I read that to mean that she would start as an acting coach but would eventually be able to get roles herself.

Nope you’re 100% right.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Just another person promising Sally the moon, and she knows as soon as it benefits him to throw her to the wolves he will. Sally is such a great character.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.
Bill Hader would make a great Reed Richards.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Hank called out exactly why Cristobal didn't see it coming, he was naive, and Hank was right, trying to get cartels to go straight runs antithetical to how cartels operate, through violence and fear.

Poopbutt
Aug 15, 2022

PantsBandit posted:

Just another person promising Sally the moon, and she knows as soon as it benefits him to throw her to the wolves he will. Sally is such a great character.

I saw this interaction as more about Sally realising what a lovely thing she did by trying to take over the role. The fact that the slimy agent was impressed by it just solidified to her how toxic the movie industry enables her to be and how ashamed she was. After that conversation she is not selfish at all with the actor and it sets the stage for Sally to leave Hollywood with Barry.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Another Bill posted:

Something_Hazy
Sep 21, 2019

Poopbutt posted:

I saw this interaction as more about Sally realising what a lovely thing she did by trying to take over the role. The fact that the slimy agent was impressed by it just solidified to her how toxic the movie industry enables her to be and how ashamed she was. After that conversation she is not selfish at all with the actor and it sets the stage for Sally to leave Hollywood with Barry.

I disagree. I don't think Sally gives a flying gently caress about her client, at least deep down. I took it as Sally finally NOT choking in the moment but instead actually delivering a legitimately great performance in front of an important director, with no other outside circumstances or personal anxieties getting in the way. When she watches her client completely melting down and blowing a golden opportunity that has been handed to her on a silver platter due to her being naturally good looking, I think she's internally seething. Partially because she's watching someone who barely worked for it blowing her dream acting role, but also because Sally is playing back in her mind every opportunity that she herself has screwed up. Sally blocking out her client to try to steal the role is yet another example of one of the characters being unable to fight their true, selfish nature. The immediate rejection by the director completely breaks her for the final time. She's done with acting, done with Hollywood. The offer to be an acting coach is the same old dangling carrot she's used to, but this time she just can't do it anymore.

FWIW Sally is one of my favorite TV characters in a long time, and its mostly due to Sara Goldberg's performance.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Her getting paid more than she's ever made, guaranteed, but to consistently be a coach to someone she considers herself (and more often than not will certainly be) better than and watch their own careers advance from it in her field, is basically her hell. At that point yeah gently caress it why wouldn't you just go back to Barry instead

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Not to mention @ 70k and living close to the studios probably means you have at least one roommate.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

panko posted:

the thread spent a few posts calling back to michael scott I acquit and walt having mike’s voice but ‘cousineau killed the delivery guy’ is operating at an even lower level of viewing comprehension

Maybe the delivery guy wasn't shot, but stabbed. You know, like Shannon, from :lost:

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

ruddiger posted:

Hank called out exactly why Cristobal didn't see it coming, he was naive, and Hank was right, trying to get cartels to go straight runs antithetical to how cartels operate, through violence and fear.

I don't know, they seemed like they bonded pretty well at D&B along with the Karaoke :smith:. They might have been able to pull it off. It's not like the Chechen's are that good at the whole crime gang thing either, unless they sent the actually good guys this time. But Hank never really believed in the whole Crime Utopia thing, he just loved Cristobal. That whole conversation was just brutal, even before it was clear that Cristobal was going to die.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

Not to mention @ 70k and living close to the studios probably means you have at least one roommate.

It is per movie, not per year. The actual shooting part of movie production typically only takes a couple of months, so she could likely do several in a year.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

SimonChris posted:

It is per movie, not per year. The actual shooting part of movie production typically only takes a couple of months, so she could likely do several in a year.

Oh in that case it’s a pretty good gig!

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Something_Hazy posted:

FWIW Sally is one of my favorite TV characters in a long time, and its mostly due to Sara Goldberg's performance.

Hard agree with this sentence! I didn't know what they were going to do with her character this season and I love it. She's fantastic.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

How she hasn’t gotten an Emmy yet is a crime.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

George H.W. oval office posted:

How she hasn’t gotten an Emmy yet is a crime.

There are so many great actresses in all the shows I like but they never get recognized.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
They should try doing Kramer pratfalls in every scene, I think the nominating committee likes that.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
there really has been a marked decline in kramer behavior. used to be you'd get barry throwing the keys way too far or fuches doing his far away speech no one could hear

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Another Bill posted:

Hard agree with this sentence! I didn't know what they were going to do with her character this season and I love it. She's fantastic.

I'm in the same boat. I started out the season thinking Sally's story is done and she should disappear back to Joplin to live out her life. I was very, very wrong with that sentiment and I can't imagine this season without her now.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Another Bill posted:

He would, and Sarah Goldberg would be a great Sue Storm, but it also sounds like the kind of big budget pressure cooker that would make Hader stressed out and miserable. Also, I imagine the MCU probably doesn’t have the same allure for actors that it did ten years ago.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Dick Jones posted:

He would, and Sarah Goldberg would be a great Sue Storm, but it also sounds like the kind of big budget pressure cooker that would make Hader stressed out and miserable. Also, I imagine the MCU probably doesn’t have the same allure for actors that it did ten years ago.

Just let them do the Venture Bros versions of the characters. Just take slightly altered versions of Sally and Barry and drop them into the MCU do it you cowards.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Takes No Damage posted:

Just let them do the Venture Bros versions of the characters. Just take slightly altered versions of Sally and Barry and drop them into the MCU do it you cowards.
This is the only way I want to ever see The Fantastic Four and Scooby Doo ever again. Venture Bros injected interest where there was previously less than zero.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

cheeeeesecake posted:

Almost definitely

(Anyone remember that one? Clearly showing my age)

This is Arrested Development, right? "Oh, most definitely"?

FireWorksWell posted:

Yeah. That thread had some pretty angry derails. There was another one about snow on the tires of parked cars.

Specifically it was about the white splashes of dried road salt all over the cars in winter scenes. Some posters presumably from warmer climates had no idea what it was and were theorizing on the possible causes.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Tender Bender posted:

This is Arrested Development, right? "Oh, most definitely"?
What really got me about this one is that they'd both hit the same comedic beat the same way.

In one, he's freely admitting it, and in the other, he's absolutely admitting it, but ever-so-slightly covering his rear end in a mobster-on-the-witness-stand kind of way, and either works perfectly fine as a joke and neither version would change the events of the plot one tiny little bit like Shannon being stabbed or "I acquit" would, so like... why?

cheeeeesecake
Aug 16, 2003
Yesssss!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
I had used up all my anticipation energy on Guardians 3 and nearly forgot it 's Barry day baybee

who lives? who dies? how much magical realism will the time skip bring us? tune in to the HBO MAX service