Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Sleggar is one of the bits of 0079 that translates weirdly to modern context. Slapping a woman to make a point loving sucks rear end, but I don't think Sleggar was intended to be an unlikeable or lovely character. Heroic guys "justifiably" slapping women was just a thing that happened a lot in shows at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Can someone help me remember if Sleggar Law is The Worst Character in First Gundam? Does he actually slap Mirai or am I misremembering that?

I'm gonna go with the character compared to Hitler

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Arc Hammer posted:

First he punches Cameron and then he slaps Mirai.

That’s what I remembered: he slaps Mirai, she kisses him, and then she’s sad he dies. Tomino!

Gaius Marius posted:

I'm gonna go with the character compared to Hitler

You’re not supposed to like the Zabis.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i wish i could say that the point with sleggar is that him breaking social convention to be violent towards people he dislikes is fun and satisfying when it's arbitrarily someone the audience dislikes, like cameron, but then it's not so fun anymore when "hitting people is cool" actually plays out in not the best case scenario

but then mirai kisses him for it and he dies tragically so

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I don't hate Sleggar, but he's aged like milk.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I thought he was pretty good in Doan's Island. He's still a pig headed chauvinist but he's also more of a joke than a cool dude.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i liked the part where he actually landed a shot on someone unlike kai and hayato, then immediately faceplanted into a rock wrecking his GM

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
He just really wanted to ride Sayla's core booster.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean everyone in gundam 0079 is smacking people to make a point, its just a japanese dramatic convention from the era. its not like hes meant to be a woman beater or anything, or its even really a gendered thing, its the same thing that happens to amuro earlier in the show.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbnCZT5R8Ss

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Arc Hammer posted:

At least Gigi has a normal reaction to bding caught in the middle of a war zone.

Gigi makes a lot more sense when you remember that she’s a 19-year-old sex worker/sugar baby who has probably spent her entire life playing up the bullshit manic pixie dream girl act to keep her head above water around completely insane rich people. She’s acting far more like a normal person in her last scene with kenneth in the movie when she drops the mask.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Endorph posted:

i mean everyone in gundam 0079 is smacking people to make a point, its just a japanese dramatic convention from the era. its not like hes meant to be a woman beater or anything, or its even really a gendered thing, its the same thing that happens to amuro earlier in the show.

it's how mirai reacts afterwards that i think people actually have a problem with

though there's definitely double standards going around about sleggar hitting mirai vs literally any time another (male) character gets hit in the face

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

well look her options in terms of available grown men on that ship were bright, sleggar, or kai, i think we'd all make the choices she did, in about the order she did

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

how was anybody on board supposed to know kai was going to make becoming an international man of mystery his next career move

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Runa posted:

how was anybody on board supposed to know kai was going to make becoming an international man of mystery his next career move

Sayla seemed to have a guess at it. (Seriously, there's a surprising amount of Kai and Sayla moments in the original and the Zeta movies.)

For Sleggar, it seemed to partially tie into Mirai's Newtype intuition going "Hey, dead man walking here. Do something, fast." without her knowing what the heck it was, and partially just the emotional stress combined with her and Bright being kind of on the outs and wanting to do something to make him regret it. Sleggar, meanwhile, seemed to guess that it was more a heat of the moment thing than anything serious, so he kind of tried to talk her down. He's a bit of a lech, but at least he seems to recognize that, when a girl says no (and possibly slaps you), that's entirely fair and you should politely leave her to go about her business.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Endorph posted:

The show depicting an inexperienced superior officer in the midst of a war slapping a teenager suffering from PTSD which sends the teen fleeing from the White Base is different than Sleggar slapping a woman over her marital issues, and the woman shortly thereafter falls in love with him.

ninjewtsu posted:

it's how mirai reacts afterwards that i think people actually have a problem with

ding ding ding ding

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

Torquemadras posted:

I have done it. I have watched all of Gundam, Gundam Zeta, Gundam ZZ and Char's Counterattack

After Zeta, I thought I had seen the worst character of Gundam: Katz

After ZZ, I thought that Katz had been surpassed by the real worst character of Gundam: Ple

And after Char's Counterattack, I can see that I've been a fool. The previous two haunted entire seasons. Their incompetence and annoying behaviour was built up through several episodes, and persisted after their death. But Quess

God drat QUESS

only shows up for one movie, and manages to be so much worse than anyone before, in such a short runtime comparatively, I was kinda impressed how awful she was
She takes over the entire plot, has not one, but THREE characters pining after her, a 13-year old, she happily joins the genocidal regime because she just loves genocide that much, she seems to have no concept of others suffering from anything she does, she does ludicrously stupid things just because she's lusting after Char, and worst of all, she's a privileged rich faildaughter

At least I think the movie wants the viewer to loathe her? I certainly did

Looking forward to the next character who outdoes Katz, Ple and Quess in sheer awfulness (of course I'll continue watching Gundam)

Oh friend, you still have yet to encounter some of the worst characters in Gundam.

Speaking of Slegger, since I can't track down AGE or G-Reco and I finished the first cour of Mercury and the second season IBO I'm probably going to watch the original series again and then go through Zeta before rewatching 00 and Wing. It's been a while since I've done the original and Zeta back to back and it'll be fun. I did recently watch the trilogy movies and CCA so it's more of a "oh so that's what's different" kind of thing. Also I really disliked Cameron in the movies, along with that whole weird Slegger and Mirai thing, so I want to see if I feel the same in the TV series.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

X-Ray Pecs posted:

The show depicting an inexperienced superior officer in the midst of a war slapping a teenager suffering from PTSD which sends the teen fleeing from the White Base is different than Sleggar slapping a woman over her marital issues, and the woman shortly thereafter falls in love with him.
amuro falls in love with bright tho. i can prove it

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Endorph posted:

Bright keeps a picture of Amuro in his office they were lovers.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Endorph posted:

please do

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
So apparently Gundam twitter is trying to rehabilitate AGE.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Fivemarks posted:

So apparently Gundam twitter is trying to rehabilitate AGE.

*points and laughs*

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Newtypes instantly fall in love with anyone that slaps them

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
People bat for Seed too, big deal.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

It's Katejina, or maybe the Zanscare officer that wants to bathe and rape 13 year old Uso. Victory has so many awful trash people.

But it also has the Motorad commander who is insane and fitting for victory but is at least fun.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

haypliss posted:

People bat for Seed too, big deal.

Seed’s not bad.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Gripweed posted:

Seed’s not bad.

It really isn't. It's visually dated, but Destiny has so badly tainted SEED its rep is hurt from its sequel imo. SEED is just kinda uninspiring on a revisit, its UC Gundam blended with the parts of Wing that made it very popular in the west. There are worse formulas for Gundam.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i have seen no reason to hate non-destiny seed but i have also never been given a compelling reason to watch it, outside of it being very gorey apparently which does make me consider it as i do enjoy some good gore

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
SEED isn't just 'visually dated', but actively ugly, and the excessive use of stock footage and flashbacks does it no favours. The story is adequate but rather sluggishly-paced and repetitive (especially when you watch the much snappier original Mobile Suit Gundam afterwards), meaning that there really isn't much treasure to dig through those awful visuals for.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Âge might actually be a better watch simply because it's so poor in quality. Its elevator pitch is enticing, and then every piece of the actual work fails completely to capitalize. SEED has actually interesting ideas and concepts outside of its premise, but it pulls every concept off in the most lethargic and inert way. Its coloring and choreography are dull even when it's not reusing stock footage, its characters are poor rehashes or overly melodramatic. Its plot is 2/3 rehash 1/3 wtf that was dumb. It doesn't succeed at anything, but also doesn't fail enough to be interesting or humorous.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gripweed posted:

Seed’s not bad.

I'd say it is. It's not extraordinarily bad, but the art style is ugly, the characters are sanded down to remove the interesting aspects from the original Gundam characters they mimicked, and the pacing for the first act is painfully slow. Oh, and the combat is boring and filled with stock footage.

There's enough flaws to tip the scales from mediocre to the negatives, especially since the art aged so poorly. It's just that Gundam has even worse shows to point to.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
Seed is less sexist than Age, at least.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Fivemarks posted:

Seed is less sexist than Age, at least.

Speaking of Gundam Twitter, I've been very happy to see people realizing that Flay is an excellent and interesting character.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I feel like a lot of the core characters like Kira, Flay, Athrun and Cagalli are decent to great

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Flay is definitely one of the few bright spots in the whole show, but they completely take her out of commission for half of it.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

SEED is probably the one of the better shows to do a remake or a reboot sequel series as it has the core of a really good series but the original didn't quite hit the potential and Destiny is well...Destiny.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
A more coherently written Destiny where they make a hard decision to go "Shinn is the protagonist and the show is about him" might be good, if they do stuff like "Don't gently caress over Cagalli because Morosawa felt threatened by her VA"

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Fivemarks posted:

A more coherently written Destiny where they make a hard decision to go "Shinn is the protagonist and the show is about him" might be good, if they do stuff like "Don't gently caress over Cagalli because Morosawa felt threatened by her VA"

I really think, based on nothing but my feelings, that that’s just a baseless rumor.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

should they get the original staff back to do a remake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

They already did the HD remaster