Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Vox Nihili posted:

No, that was never remotely a thing. Some people read a headline and got confused.

For one thing the AI responses would be way more accurate if that were the case

Who do you think labels the training data?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Nodelphi posted:

I thought AI turned out to be just global south tech workers propping up a glorified chat bot… The media thought this would matter then they realized that CEO’s didn’t care and it was full steam ahead for AI regardless.

before ChatGPT became a buzzword this was true of an awful lot of AI-branded “technologies,” and it can be expected to still be true for a bunch of poo poo going forward

the LLMs just don’t have the same scale of backend human guidance which is required for a lot of grift “self-navigating” demos and poo poo due to how they’re built and how they operate

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

The previous wave of AI hype had a lot of realtime contract labor fixing things in the background. This current one is a predictive keyboard with tons of juice. I'm sure someone will combine the two grifts either to prolong this wave or start a new one (after another blockchain-based thing takes a turn).

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I'm the cheap backroom contract labour hire matching datasets to "giant anime tits" in the code database.

This is important ground breaking work towards a better future.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

DancingShade posted:

I'm the cheap backroom contract labour hire matching datasets to "giant anime tits" in the code database.

This is important ground breaking work towards a better future.

Horny is automated.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

mycomancy posted:

Horny is automated.

[Doomsday Economics] Horny is automated

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

mycomancy posted:

Horny is automated.

this Gil Scott Heron song sucks

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

holefoods posted:

it’s grimes

i wonder what chelsea manning is up to these days

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

mycomancy posted:

That's not remotely the same thing as the Mechanical Turk poo poo certain people have decided is happening

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Vox Nihili posted:

That's not remotely the same thing as the Mechanical Turk poo poo certain people have decided is happening

Unclear if you're talking about the OG Mechanical Turk or Jeff's Mechanical Turk, but this is exactly the sort of thing that they do on the latter platform.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/status/1656752833012592646?t=c7f2qSR6LNJpfF9zLZNf6g&s=19

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

mycomancy posted:

just train another AI to do it

and then train another AI to train the labeling AIs

and then…

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/ForexLive/status/1656798565346230273?t=dcavFElfmIWK89mCzXf8uA&s=19

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
feel like it's just a bit too late for world governments to pretend to give a poo poo about this technology that is very clearly dangerous to society

https://twitter.com/Forbes/status/1654215601445797888?t=bBVtjrus-AqqU3S1P1dVhA&s=19

like its only a matter of time before a deepfake causes like a war or something. i could very easily see a cop using a deepfake as Probable Cause for ruining an innocent person's life:smith:

BornAPoorBlkChild has issued a correction as of 00:21 on May 12, 2023

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1655574051287453696?t=_mN78frP4KsSnKlGNYFInQ&s=19

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

it's cool how now there's already a whole industry of child sized factory uniforms i guess

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

BornAPoorBlkChild posted:

feel like it's just a bit too late for world governments to pretend to give a poo poo about this technology that is very clearly dangerous to society

https://twitter.com/Forbes/status/1654215601445797888?t=bBVtjrus-AqqU3S1P1dVhA&s=19

like its only a matter of time before a deepfake causes like a war or something. i could very easily see a cop using a deepfake as Probable Cause for ruining an innocent person's life:smith:

https://twitter.com/Stephon_Dingle/status/1656746478109442048

HAIL eSATA-n has issued a correction as of 00:37 on May 12, 2023

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

"high outage rates from thermal generators"

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

jamie dimon triggers me.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/1656786288115167232?s=20

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

imagine this but with a un-updated Predator Drone. Lol makes sense considering all the talk of racial bias in AI already:shepicide:

BornAPoorBlkChild has issued a correction as of 01:02 on May 12, 2023

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

looking forward to nytimes “excessive job satisfaction”
editorials

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Everybody wants to work now

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
https://twitter.com/MichaelKantro/status/1655663299113918483?s=20

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

What’s SLOOS?

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
sloosing makes me feel good

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

senior loan officer opinions survey

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Consummate Professional posted:

sloosing makes me feel good

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

Trabisnikof posted:

sorry but AI bullshit isn't going away, we're just going to be expected to clean up after its mess and adapt our behavior to it.

instead of doing something right the first time, you'll be spending your days correcting the mistakes the ML constantly and consistently makes. "no the customer does not a plate of literal trash, they want the menu item garbage plate"

then it will be your fault if the LLM writing your performance review fucks up, its your fault that you get negative marks for "doing non-job tasks (naval construction) instead of job task (making sandwiches)" because you wrote "i made 50 subs today"

this. it's a plausible deniability machine, so managers can fire people they dislike and point to a magic box and say the ai told us to do it sorry i don't make the rules

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

i am harry posted:

looking forward to nytimes “excessive job satisfaction”
editorials

"These days everyone wants to work. Should they?"

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Spaced God posted:

it's cool how now there's already a whole industry of child sized factory uniforms i guess

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

"Displaying traits of an armed person," such as

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Seyser Koze posted:

Had arms.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Seyser Koze posted:

Armed person and companion

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Source: n=25 out of touch CEOs.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Centrist Committee posted:

just train another AI to do it

and then train another AI to train the labeling AIs

and then…

Use bullwhips and rolled up newspapers to keep the AI in line.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

zetamind2000 posted:

"These days everyone wants to work. Should they?"

“A recent study shows that people generally perform better when they experience 20-35% job dissatisfaction.”

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Hello austerity, my old friend.

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

i enjoy some temporary manual load shedding, myself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

The Ugly Truth Behind “We Buy Ugly Houses”

https://www.propublica.org/article/ugly-truth-behind-we-buy-ugly-houses

quote:

In an interview, a former employee of the ad agency hired by HomeVestors recalled discussions about how to serve online ads to people in the vicinity of nursing homes and rehabilitation hospitals. The goal was to catch families who needed to sell assets so Medicaid would pay their nursing home costs. The employee, who asked not to be named because they still work in the industry, also recalled the agency’s owner bragging about the ability of its digital advertising to find an elderly person who had broken a hip. That injury, the employee reported the owner saying, is effectively a 60-day countdown to death — and, possibly, a deal.

“If we can get in front of people at that point, that was like a definite way to go,” the former employee said. “Yeah, that was bad. My stomach hurts thinking about that.”

quote:

Up to half of a franchise’s prospects must be generated by its own legwork, what HomeVestors refers to as “dig leads.” The company’s training manual teaches franchisees to build relationships with those who interact with people in difficult situations: nursing home administrators, probate officers, divorce lawyers. It also instructs them to comb neighborhoods for clues of distress — water shutoff notices, police tape, boarded-up windows, burn scars — and pounce on signs of desperation. If a family’s belongings are on the curb, for example, the directive is clear: “Quickly pursue the property where the trash pile indicates eviction.”

quote:

“That cat piss smell, you know what that smell is?” he said with a chuckle. “That’s money.”

No surprise that the we buy ugly houses business model is ghoulish and predatory, but there are some interesting details in this investigation.