Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Clarste posted:

This is in fact huge though.

Like, forcing you to actually engage with the game every day is a good way to burn out on it, imo. That was one of the biggest flaws with Genshin; it just takes too much attention to do its pointless daily grind.
Eh. I wouldn't say you have to engage with it. It's inconvenient if you're in a hurry but don't have anything to multitask on, I guess, but it's not so bad that I've had it wipe me, yet. It's just slower than it could be.

I haven't tried it on the weekly bosses because I don't trust it, yeah. You do those infrequently enough that I don't mind doing them manually, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

FractalSandwich posted:

Eh. I wouldn't say you have to engage with it. It's inconvenient if you're in a hurry but don't have anything to multitask on, I guess, but it's not so bad that I've had it wipe me, yet. It's just slower than it could be.

I haven't tried it on the weekly bosses because I don't trust it, yeah. You do those infrequently enough that I don't mind doing them manually, though.

What i meant was the fact that it's NOT forcing you to engage with it is a good thing. Unlike Genshin where even against the weakest enemies you still need to, like, press buttons and run around and it gets old really fast.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Oh, you mean the upside is huge, not the downside. I'm with you now.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Meiteron posted:

I will say that once you're at Dailies-And-Log levels of playing Star Rail it seems way more accommodating than Genshin ever was, so if you are of a mind to stick around even between patches it'll be much less of an imposition then Genshin, or other equivalent titles.

Yeah, you can get all the daily rewards in like 1-2 minutes, it's nice. The biggest difference is that with Genshin there's always some degree of travel time for pretty much everything you do (unless an NPC is literally right next to a teleport point). In this the only daily thing you need to move a single step for is the one daily mission (and the areas themselves are condensed enough that this still isn't much).

I think the best way to play these games is to not play them like "normal" games. I almost never play more than one hour in a sitting, and because of that I have a very large amount of content left (almost every companion quest, every Xianzhou side quest, and a little of the main quest, though I think I'm getting close to the end of that).

I'm hoping we'll actually get more story content in this than Genshin going forward, because Genshin has always needed to invest far more time in creating its huge zones. This doesn't seem to have that many different zones, but has far more story content (such that it plays more similarly to a "normal" RPG than Genshin does).

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
It might not even be true that autobattle is slower if you're not playing on a keyboard, anyway. I know kids these days are crazily fast with their touchscreens, but they're still no match for a real gamer's battle-hardened WASD hand.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I just hope that the story content isn't stuck in the limited-time event zone.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Clarste posted:

Like, forcing you to actually engage with the game every day is a good way to burn out on it, imo. That was one of the biggest flaws with Genshin; it just takes too much attention to do its pointless daily grind.

The low commitment to keep doing dailies and everything is great, and I think will extend the amount of time I keep playing continuously, but I do wonder if Genshin's model of making players actively engage keeps them more invested, figuratively and literally. Like if you're autobattling through most of your time in the game, it might not feel like it matters if you get a new character as much as Genshin where you'll be running around actively doing things with your characters every day if you're keeping up with dailies. On balance I definitely prefer the lower commitment version, and don't see myself engaging with Genshin much beyond events once I'm caught up on the story, but I could see low commitment turning from 'it's nbd logging in for 5-10 minutes every day' to 'the game is playing itself even when I have it open so I don't know why I'm bothering.'

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
finally got this done under the wire

then I found out the top three levels of that abyss don't reset.... :bang:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

I'm hoping we'll actually get more story content in this than Genshin going forward, because Genshin has always needed to invest far more time in creating its huge zones. This doesn't seem to have that many different zones, but has far more story content (such that it plays more similarly to a "normal" RPG than Genshin does).
Mild spoiler about upcoming character banners, only inferred plot stuff related to how long we'll be in space china.

We know Blade, Kafka, Luocha, Fu Xuan, Jing Yuan, and Yukong will all be playable by 1.3. Accounting for characters we might not be introduced to yet/some random stragglers (Jing Yuan's dead/notdead master?) We'll probably be done with Space China by 1.4 or 1.5 at absolute latest. Compared to Genshin where each 'region' takes about a real world year of content to be done with, I wouldn't be surprised if the pace here is more like 6-7 months.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

The low commitment to keep doing dailies and everything is great, and I think will extend the amount of time I keep playing continuously, but I do wonder if Genshin's model of making players actively engage keeps them more invested, figuratively and literally. Like if you're autobattling through most of your time in the game, it might not feel like it matters if you get a new character as much as Genshin where you'll be running around actively doing things with your characters every day if you're keeping up with dailies. On balance I definitely prefer the lower commitment version, and don't see myself engaging with Genshin much beyond events once I'm caught up on the story, but I could see low commitment turning from 'it's nbd logging in for 5-10 minutes every day' to 'the game is playing itself even when I have it open so I don't know why I'm bothering.'

For that I think it helps that you're not autobattling bosses (especially in the SU), and iirc it doesn't even let you turn on auto for story battles. So it feels more like you're cutting out a grind and less like the game is playing itself, if that distinction makes any sense. Obviously getting you to log in every day and not forget that the game exists between patches is the main point of dailies though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

if nothing else the slightly better artifact grind makes me excited for this in the longterm because ive been trying to get a decent crimson witch sands for diluc for literally two months now.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Yeah I appreciate being able to auto the boring grind stuff while being engaging enough that I don't really mind playing stuff like weekly boss fights manually. Maybe in the future I'll get tired of that too, but it's nice not having to manually burn stamina for everything, even the trivial stuff like calyxes, like Genshin. New content done manually is fine too even if it's on the easy side.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

I know in Genshin having to slog my team around to get everything mostly made me hate all of their failings and then stop playing. I love a fast game.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Playing Honkai, Genshin, and this it feels like Mihoyo is on a trend of slowing down the daily grind in each game, for the better. I don't think Genshin is too onerous, honestly the only thing I hate is doing loving leylines, the travel time to each one, having to corral some of the enemies, it's super annoying. Meanwhile Honkai Impact is by far my favorite game if we just look at it's raw gameplay, characters and story. But actually playing the game is an exercise in frustration because it takes a lot more time each day doing a lot of poo poo, and unlike Genshin, if you're not putting effort into the events, you don't get poo poo as rewards. It's such a weird game for me to experience playing Genshin first, and I kind of hate that I adore it's story and characters so much more.

Hopefully they'll just release everyone's expies so I can have Theresa, Kiana, Mei, Fu Hua, and Senti to go along with Bronya and Seele, or you know even better I end up loving Dan and March as much as the Honkai crew.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Endorph posted:

Mild spoiler about upcoming character banners, only inferred plot stuff related to how long we'll be in space china.

We know Blade, Kafka, Luocha, Fu Xuan, Jing Yuan, and Yukong will all be playable by 1.3. Accounting for characters we might not be introduced to yet/some random stragglers (Jing Yuan's dead/notdead master?) We'll probably be done with Space China by 1.4 or 1.5 at absolute latest. Compared to Genshin where each 'region' takes about a real world year of content to be done with, I wouldn't be surprised if the pace here is more like 6-7 months.
Man, I hope so.

There are currently no optional side-dungeons in the game, so I'll be interested to see if they start doing those, or if they make everything part of the main story to help fill it out.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

E: this isn’t the Tears of the Kingdom thread!

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

I've been playing this very slowly (just got past the orphanage on belobog and I started on launch day) and my takeaway is that detachment bordering on disinterest is the ideal way to play a game like this. I don't have any preexisting attachment to characters from other games, I don't find any of the designs particularly striking, there seems to be zero point in optimizing a team since it sounds like f2p chars can handle most of it and I pulled bronya on the starter banner. I got in from day 1 so I won't have the issue of coming in late and being like "drat annoyed I missed this banner two years ago". played this way it's just a nice simple rpg with shockingly high production values and a weird approach to gear distribution, and I assume by the time I reach the abrupt main quest cutoff there might already be new story.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Hmm, I feel like not caring about it at all is a short step from just dropping the game entirely. Like at the very least I can't imagine playing a gacha and not going "ooh this person is cool, I want to use them in my party."

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Clarste posted:

For that I think it helps that you're not autobattling bosses (especially in the SU)

Speak for yourself, I regularly let it rip on SU and Path of War bosses. :v:

I think the only one I had to babysit was SU5.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Seele is absurdly powerful, blows anything else I have away. Pulled Seele and hit tb 40. Got my main 4 to 60 and blew through SU6, then did 3-2 and 4-2 first try each. Missing most of my traces and relics are a mess. FMC/Bailu/Seele/Clara. Seele just attacks over and over, always seems to have her ult full. I was surprised it didn't let me go on to 5-2, I was expecting to get blown up by Kafka because I rely on Bailu's healing and switching to Nat for dispel would have been a big downgrade. Seems like a missed opportunity to remove something else for me to bash my head against. I have a few chests left, but it's just going to be logging in for mats real soon...

hunt resonance + the perk that makes it fill energy on killing something + second blast makes SU go very fast.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Clarste posted:

Hmm, I feel like not caring about it at all is a short step from just dropping the game entirely. Like at the very least I can't imagine playing a gacha and not going "ooh this person is cool, I want to use them in my party."

see for me none of them really "handle" meaningfully differently because no matter what kind of engine or team comp you set up, there's only three buttons to press in combat, and there's no ult animation so cool I won't be annoyed by the 500th time I see it in combat. when you add to that the fact that many characters will only reach their fullest potential in combination with other RNG characters, relics, light cones, eidolons, etc., and that ultimately team optimization generally means combat on the main story becoming less interactive (as your kill team turns into a one-size-fits-all solution that cares minimally about enemy interactions), for me the interest in pulling any one character hits zero. which is great for me, because it means no fomo!

Valentin fucked around with this message at 06:17 on May 15, 2023

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I mean, that's fine but if you're not interested in the gameplay and not looking forward to future characters then you're left with... the story getting small updates every 6 weeks? Just seems like if I were you I'd have stopped playing 2 weeks ago and maybe if it's still around 2 years later I'll check it out again when I'm coincidentally reminded of it. Or maybe I won't.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Clarste posted:

the end goal of every gacha should be to just autobattle through all but the hardest content

I try to autobattle as much as possible, and I just autobattle through the calyx poo poo and even the ascension bosses or whatever. :effort:

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 07:20 on May 15, 2023

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I love the incidental side quests I keep accidentally discovering

This time: threw some coins into a starskiff engine and got arrested by the fuzz

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I like the one that made no sense and I later learned it made no sense because it was based entirely around a reference to a game I hadn't played. Fun!

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Hellioning posted:

I like the one that made no sense and I later learned it made no sense because it was based entirely around a reference to a game I hadn't played. Fun!

drat you should fix that and fear the old blood as quickly as possible

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

FractalSandwich posted:

This might be harder to notice on a phone, but playing on a PC it's very obvious that the view of Belobog out the big window at the front of the hotel is a janky 2D impostor. The big domed building on the left and the stairs down to the cable car are both visible as expected:

...but Qlipoth Fort is mysteriously missing from the skyline:

No idea what that's about. It is present in the fake reflections in the windows of other buildings outside, though!

We should demand Hoyo implement mandatory raytracing overdrive immediately to resolve this.

I want mobile phones that run hotter than the sun.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Meowywitch posted:

The final phase of SU5 Kafka kicked my rear end

I'm humbled

Same. I failed a few times until I got the right combo of path drops on the way. It all came down to shields, more shields, a shitload of shields and a lot of cleanses.

Didn't help I was brute forcing the fight with none of the right elements because I was stubborn.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Clarste posted:

I mean, that's fine but if you're not interested in the gameplay and not looking forward to future characters then you're left with... the story getting small updates every 6 weeks? Just seems like if I were you I'd have stopped playing 2 weeks ago and maybe if it's still around 2 years later I'll check it out again when I'm coincidentally reminded of it. Or maybe I won't.

Yeah that strikes me as a "periodically check out the story every few months through a youtube digest" state.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Ooh, EL3 means you can do these weekly shadow of war and get more than 1 drop of the hard to get trace item. nice!

Eldsluft
Dec 22, 2021

"Ingenio stat sine morte decus."

All Hail Rememberance!

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Tried the shield path for shits and giggles....

that didn't go well

tried remembrance, that didn't work ether

Tried nihility, same fail state, even after upgrading hook as much as possible

game keeps telling me my Ability Tree in SU is low but, gently caress you game, I am not grinding your poo poo. I want to attack it once and beat it and forget it's there

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 17:45 on May 15, 2023

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Clara grows in power...

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 days!)

destruction is such an awkward path
hate when i get them

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Destruction relies a lot on the exactly one blessing that makes you heal when you get hit, which honestly is kind of OP on its own anyway. In my experience.

Edit: Oh yeah mean the character class. Yeah.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Rememberance is the ice path right? Its killer if you have yanqing. Makes any mob ice weak and in single target fights YQ shreds stun bars.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 days!)

love remembrance path

Kale
May 14, 2010

I still don't know how people run out of stuff to do in Mihoyo's other big game Genshin Impact, or if it's just what they consider "content" is so vastly different from what I do. I consider 100% of a given region to be when it says 100% on the exploration menu and all types of quests are just cleared out from there to the point where there's no reason to visit those areas much any more other than for farming or limited time events that take you through them. The game keeps adding these huge areas roughly every 2-3 patches or so that are like their own sagas it feels like. Like for example the Girdle of the Sands area just added in 3.6 that I've been running through on account of the current event, just plain gently caress huge I can tell already. There's a whole new mechanic with this Pari creature thing that you can send flying around like a drone that needs to handle certain collecting tasks, types of hazards/enemies etc on top of the usual sorts of exploration stuff you do on foot. gently caress off huge story arc to it all too by the looks of it. Now granted not everybody might consider this worthwhile content (I know a lot of people tend to focus on banner chat, Abyss runs, and resin usage stuff pretty heavily in discussions), but it's plenty enough to keep me busy for a while on top of the character story quests, regional stories like Golden Slumber, Dirge of Bilqis and all the poo poo that leads into and probably other stuff I'm not even entirely aware of.

Basically I'm left with 3 scenarios here.

1. A lot of people sink way more time per day into this game than I do so are at 100% exploration in all areas to date
2. Aren't aware of all the poo poo like hidden quest/exploration objectives, story quests etc.
3. Don't consider it all worthwhile content and thus aren't factoring it into their "stuff to do" and consider themselves out of said stuff to do.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

100% isn't even 100% in that game, it's just some arbitrary pity number so you aren't compelled to find everything. Stop slacking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Clarste posted:

100% isn't even 100% in that game, it's just some arbitrary pity number so you aren't compelled to find everything. Stop slacking.
Real gamers run 10 laps around the Herta Station Storage Zone every morning just in case there's a secret 10th chest hidden somewhere in there.