Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

from the same org that brought me mandatory overtime for the past several years:

quote:

We have thoroughly enjoyed the week getting to see so many of you. It has been a pleasure seeing the many smiles (and tears) as you have been engaged this week through various means by your division leadership to say thank you. They have been very intentional in ensuring you are shown the highest level of appreciation.

Public Service Recognition Week is reserved for a week, but we have made the decision to continue the recognition through the end of the month. As we reflect over the success [we] have achieved, it is evident a week is not long enough to give you all the proper recognition. I can’t promise you all the goodies will continue, but we have reserved opportunities to continue to say thank you.

there were no goodies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

steal food

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

we have reserved opportunities to continue to say thank you.

make sure you reserve opportunities to poo poo on company time

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Xaris posted:

lets see:
- they cut SNAP benefits
- they busted train unions (cant remember if this was before or after)
- they sold a bunch of wildlife land to oil companies
- they ramped up MIC spending and throwing a bunch of weapons into the wind
- they bailed out SVB and FRB
- they ended covid

idk probably some other really good things. they've mostly gone full hoo-rah neocon jingoists qq-ing about china and russia, which is obviously very important to the american people. this lets them pretend they're doing something while material conditions continue to rapidly deteriorate and crumble into ruins

promises made promises kept

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

ending covid by throwing what was it 1.5 million dead or whatever at it a good strategy

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Willa Rogers posted:

At Aldi's self-checkouts they show a video of you in front of you so I'd be too scared to gently caress around & find out, in case they're using lie-detection s/w or something lol. I know someone's watching that poo poo bc I had to call for help once & they saw what I was asking about. :sweatdrop:

I think the longest gig I had was like 4 years, although I've had some clients (including dead ones) at times for over a decade.

The camera at walmart has an item tracking algorithm built in. so if you forget to scan an item and go to make payment too soon it will lock down the register and alert a worker to assist and then replay the video with item it tracks highlighted in a box. they're getting really good.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-tech/walmart-using-ai-powered-cameras-to-spot-shoplifters-at-self-checkouts/

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

In Training posted:

instead of reading this forum you should read some Marx and fill your empty vessel with light .

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

HallelujahLee posted:

ending covid by throwing what was it 1.5 million dead or whatever at it a good strategy

:laffo: we still have like 1k+ deaths a day from COVID in the US and health experts have said the total death count is most likely way underreported because no one’s keep track or required to at this point. The actual death toll is probably at least a million more than what the official tally is at

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Business Gorillas posted:

I honestly can't believe "I put vodka in my pussy for 2 weeks. Turns out it's a real bad idea, don't do it." articles weren't a viable business model

making a TV show to send some trust fund kid around the world to do drugs was a bad investment??

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

RadiRoot posted:

The camera at walmart has an item tracking algorithm built in. so if you forget to scan an item and go to make payment too soon it will lock down the register and alert a worker to assist and then replay the video with item it tracks highlighted in a box. they're getting really good.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-tech/walmart-using-ai-powered-cameras-to-spot-shoplifters-at-self-checkouts/

Yeah I had that pop up for me when I was using the self check out, I was scanning poo poo and missed a scan but it doesn't go off immediately it just hangs the self checkout. it beeped like it scanned the next thing but didn't actually scan lol then some worker had to come over and look at it and figure out to make it scan again.

lol every day in this dumb country everything is more stupider and more annoying may allah smite the great satan

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Dr. VooDoo posted:

:laffo: we still have like 1k+ deaths a day from COVID in the US and health experts have said the total death count is most likely way underreported because no one’s keep track or required to at this point. The actual death toll is probably at least a million more than what the official tally is at

mild, endemic, stable, strong, healthy, safe, secure

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Business Gorillas posted:

I honestly can't believe "I put vodka in my pussy for 2 weeks. Turns out it's a real bad idea, don't do it." articles weren't a viable business model
loll

vox/vice/buzzfeed/etc was just an upper east side trust fundies parachute

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Taima posted:

But the completely honest truth is that poo poo is bumming me out so bad lately. It's so easy to see that unless something changes, the world will be a pretty horrible place going forward. Too many bad things happening at once.

It's all just a bit too real, I'm going to keep reading for now though and see where it goes. Just really, really upset recently at where things are obviously heading. We're lucky; we decided not to have kids and I thank my lucky stars every loving day for that.

Maybe that makes me a bad person idk but I'm finding it harder and harder to read the Doomsday when the doom is so viscerally real and at our front door. We can see the shoe, we know it's going to drop, we just don't know when, and in the meantime everything is becoming steadily and possibly irrevocably lovely.
honestly, do whatever makes you happy while the shoe is on. stay at a four seasons in venice, have fun with your wife, snowboard while there’s still snow. personally, I think it’s somewhat funny, I’m perhaps too good at compartmentalizing (ptsd ftw), and declining material conditions are the vine of change to the grapes of wrath, so I think it’s interesting. I find it more of amusing and doesn’t phase me because the system should not continue. but definitely some people want to continue living in the status quo and that’s quite all right, not a knock, I get it I’m pretty comfortable despite not being a computer toucher and really don’t want that upset but also the capital hegemony has to change; one way or another. it’ll probably be for the worse but we shall see, which is why tis interesting times

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
https://twitter.com/zerohedge/status/1658125189777969154
https://www.cnbc.com/2023/05/15/consumer-debt-passes-17-trillion-for-the-first-time-despite-slide-in-mortgage-demand.html

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
The wheels continue to fall off, yet Number remains unconcerned. Impressive

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

skaboomizzy posted:

my dad has four pensions plus Agent Orange disability payments (backpaid), he is in his 80s and making more money per month than I ever will and all his cancer treatments for the past four years have been completely paid for

That's basically my neighbor! Retired before 60 on two pensions that allowed him to completely pay off his house and buy a new BMW every two years. He's in his 80s now, has always lived alone, but of course needs two cars because the M3 can't be a daily driver. The two companies he has pensions with are literally the only two companies he's ever worked for in his entire life; the first one was the job he got while in college.

He's also a massive MAGA racist.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

FistEnergy posted:

Let them eat debt!

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005
Avatar blanked by Admin request.

but all those excess savings!

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

but the excess savings!

e; lol :hf:

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

FistEnergy posted:

Extremely wealthy people are doing just fine, and that's all that Number is really about.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

FistEnergy posted:

one of the very interesting phenomenon right now is how VIX seems to be artificially low the past year despite all the explosions going off including 3 major bank failures. even back in the oxsnard era it would routinely go off and historically has tracked high yield bonds like hyg. now high vol would actually rupture the financial markets with all the leveraging

haven’t really figured out why or how it’s been kept oddly low

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Let's see, there's ~260M adults in the US so that's an average of ~$65k per person.

edit: somehow missed the word household, i'm a dummy nevermind

edit2: ok 124M US households per the last census so that's ~$137k per household

is pepsi ok has issued a correction as of 16:44 on May 15, 2023

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Xaris posted:

one of the very interesting phenomenon right now is how VIX seems to be artificially low the past year despite all the explosions going off including 3 major bank failures. even back in the oxsnard era it would routinely go off and historically has tracked high yield bonds like hyg. now high vol would actually rupture the financial markets with all the leveraging

I think traditional financial institutions are learning from how crypto exchanges have brought number massaging to ever newer heights.

the liquidity has been steadily draining as whales exit, but they're careful to avoid collapse in prices, lest the bagholders wise up

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

more debt means more money for them, number up

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Xaris posted:

one theory is the options action is now in same day contracts which the vix doesn't track

apparently they are making another vix like thing tracking thst

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

energy companies are just sitting on record amounts of cash right now, inflation be damned

https://twitter.com/lines_down/status/1656428393175601152

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

webcams for christ posted:

I think traditional financial institutions are learning from how crypto exchanges have brought number massaging to ever newer heights
I think this is true but even trying to ask if they’re rigging volatility makes me feel like I’m crazy because no one else has even blinked an eye that it’s still zero despite credit sussie and svb and frc imploding and tons teetering on the brink. to say nothing of the debt ceiling sideshow

Xaris has issued a correction as of 16:50 on May 15, 2023

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Call me crazy, but Wasn't it like less than a month ago that Biden made a speech about how in his first two years of office he "massively" reduced the U.S Debt?

Will lmao if this is true

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Michigan Consumer Sentiment Survey

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

energy companies are just sitting on record amounts of cash right now, inflation be damned

They're just waiting to buy up some countries military assets when the prices start falling

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Xaris posted:

I think this is true but even trying to ask if they’re rigging volatility makes me feel like I’m crazy because no one else has even blinked an eye that it’s still zero despite credit sussie and svb and frc imploding and tons teetering on the brink

neither bank actually imploded though. they had liquidity crunches which were fully absorbed and backstopped by larger institutions.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

mild, endemic, stable, strong, healthy, safe, secure

Only the very infirm and economically useless die, so COVID is actually making us stronger.

We will fight WW3 with COVID super soldiers.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Xaris posted:

I think this is true but even trying to ask if they’re rigging volatility makes me feel like I’m crazy because no one else has even blinked an eye that it’s still zero despite credit sussie and svb and frc imploding and tons teetering on the brink. to say nothing of the debt ceiling sideshow

It's not like something as important as the LIBOR rate could be fixed...

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

New mortgages are plummeting.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

they should invest that money into residential rental real estate

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
well yeah housing prices are still like pandemic bubble 800k-1.5m pricing for ‘starter home’ in most desirable cities and still like 400-700k in less so places, but now like 7% mortgage rates. no one is going to get a mortgage

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

neither bank actually imploded though. they had liquidity crunches which were fully absorbed and backstopped by larger institutions.

Yeah, the crash happened in 2020 and these are just the aftershocks of bigger banks gobbling up the smaller ones.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

SKULL.GIF posted:

New mortgages are plummeting.

There was a very, very brief window where I think realtors could really sell the idea of transitory high rates and that window is over. Everyone who could theoretically buy in that environment has already done so, and everyone waiting for lower rates is probably slowly realizing that buying now may mean living with a $3k/month mortgage for years.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Willa Rogers posted:

At Aldi's self-checkouts they show a video of you in front of you so I'd be too scared to gently caress around & find out, in case they're using lie-detection s/w or something lol. I know someone's watching that poo poo bc I had to call for help once & they saw what I was asking about. :sweatdrop:

Just dress like (or be) an old person, put on a grey-haired wig and fake coke-bottle glasses, and act confused if you get called out. "Oh, these new machines are so confusing, I thought I put in 12 not 1, gosh darn."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Xaris posted:

all those things were too volatile to include. you want to look at core volatility, which is still strong and stable