Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Yes and in a helicopter you land at 0-15kts depending on wind.
Helicopters have higher accident statistics because a lot of the work is at low level/low vis. We fly where planes can't. This comes with an increased risk.
Similarly, we also have the option of landing virtually anywhere. Closed in by weather? Just land. Systems failure? Just land.

Glide-ratios are kinda pointless if there's nowhere to land. It just takes you longer to crash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

A helicopter needs the blades to be whole to touch down safely. The videos I've seen of helicopters experiencing an emergency seem to start with the blades being exactly not that. Remember the super puma crash in Norway?

Don't get me wrong, I love the things conceptually and as machines and the things they make possible, but I'd never put anyone I love inside them without a fight

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Counterpoint: if you die cruising around a canyon or Hawaii or something in an MD500, at least you died having a blast.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

A helicopter needs the blades to be whole to touch down safely. The videos I've seen of helicopters experiencing an emergency seem to start with the blades being exactly not that. Remember the super puma crash in Norway?

Don't get me wrong, I love the things conceptually and as machines and the things they make possible, but I'd never put anyone I love inside them without a fight

That’s why they very specifically said engine failure. Airplanes don’t do well without their wings either.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Isn’t a forced landing on water in a helicopter virtually a death trap from the disorientation of flipping over if you haven’t trained for it?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

hobbesmaster posted:

That’s why they very specifically said engine failure. Airplanes don’t do well without their wings either.

Well not with that attitude.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

hobbesmaster posted:

The more questionable one is the A318 with only 80 sold and no neo variant offered.

The Wikipedia article on the A318’s history is interesting and I’d be interested in a more thorough history. Apparently it originated out of the exploration of a Chinese joint venture for a 100 seat aircraft in the mid 90s. “Market research” indicated that there was actually demand for a 70-80 seat aircraft and the deal fell through. Airbus went ahead and made the A318 anyway and was trying to book orders right after 9/11.

It’s funny how the Brazilians seemingly came out of nowhere with a clean sheet design to absolutely nail that 70-80 seat market.

They nailed the market because the aircraft was optimised for 70-90 seats. The problem with a shrink variant is that none of the major structure of the aircraft - the wings and centre fuselage section - change, so the aircraft becomes much heavier and draggier for its payload than it necessarily needs to be. And while there are definitely operational considerations that can override that drawback, in this day and age airlines are becoming less and less fearful of non-common types in their fleet, if it means they can perfectly tailor capacity to demand.

As an example, 20 years ago Air Canada was all-in on the A320 family, operating A319s, 320s and 321s. Today for the same aircraft size bracket, they operate A220s, 737 MAX 8s and soon, A321XLRs.

MrChips fucked around with this message at 05:33 on May 16, 2023

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

hobbesmaster posted:

And the wings fall off often? Compared to blade damage?

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

And the wings fall off often? Compared to blade damage?

Yeah, if some idiot hits the button while they're trying to recline their seat.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Motorcycles are safer because they’re small and nimble, the statistics are off because I just spend my time weaving through traffic without a helmet at 100mph.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Squid Georg is an outlier and shouldn’t have been included.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Many helicopter designs (like Robinsons) make it easy to accidentally destroy the aircraft with fatal consequences with low-G maneuvers. There are a lot fewer ways for pilot error to instantly kill you in a light fixed wing plane.

e: I've never flown a helicopter. I did read a book about flying helicopters once which said that if you don't react right away when the engine fails by bottoming the collective and pulling the cyclic all the way back, the RPM will spin to zero and you will lose control of the aircraft and enter an unrecoverable attitude. It also stated that basically nobody practices autorotations all the way to the ground because it tends to damage the aircraft. It didn't inspire me with confidence that if I started flying helicopters I would be able to successfully bring it down to the ground consistently in any terrain at all.

Mortabis fucked around with this message at 16:51 on May 16, 2023

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Mortabis posted:

I see the argument but the thing is that the observed, empirical safety of fixed wing aircraft is still much higher. In principle you can land the helicopter, but let me ask you, how much practice do you think most pilots have in full down autorotation?

We have a check ride every year, where they are a mandatory component. Are mine as pretty as when I left flight school and had them dialed in, no, but my general aircraft handling is now much better, so I think I'm in a much better position to deal with real life variables.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Zero One posted:

This really depends on the aircraft but often those small versions are not much different from the larger one that it’s worth offering just in case someone wants a few. It’s not like the A319 has a separate line and different tooling.

I've done some work in one of the Airbus assembly facilities, and the assembly jigs, which are all movable, have different lock-in positions on the factory floor for each body length, 319, 320, 321. The rest of the jigs are all the same.

Bonus jig picture:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Sagebrush posted:

I did the math on it once and this is correct, though I can't remember if it was per mile or per hour.

You aren't landing at Vg. In a C152 or similar you'll be touching down at like 35 knots. City street speeds.

Also in a fixed-wing plane you have about a 10:1 glide ratio instead of 4:1, and you're operating at 5000 feet instead of 500, so you have an order of magnitude more time and distance to pick your spot.

I'll take the fixed-wing (and the fatality stats bear this out)

You are both wrong, the best aircraft to have an engine failure in is an airship

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Nebakenezzer posted:

You are both wrong, the best aircraft to have an engine failure in is an airship

Why not an autogyro? All the safety of a helicopter with all the landing selection capability of a light plane!

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Why not an autogyro? All the safety of a helicopter with all the landing selection capability of a light plane!

Autogyros mostly retain the worst traits of both.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nebakenezzer posted:

It has to be either a powered parachute or motorglider.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Nebakenezzer posted:

UAV still on the ground

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Chronojam posted:

UAV still on the ground

this is probably the winner yeah

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

the milk machine posted:

this long boi made me want to bump this post which has become almost an intrusive thought:

hobbesmaster posted:

edit: two challenger 600s:

the squattest boi

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Chronojam posted:

UAV still on the ground

Yeah, sure the LiPo battery failing and starting the whole house on fire is "safe"

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Mortabis posted:

It also stated that basically nobody practices autorotations all the way to the ground because it tends to damage the aircraft.

Based on the time I've spent at Fort Rucker I can say that that is false.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Jonny Nox posted:

Yeah, sure the LiPo battery failing and starting the whole house on fire is "safe"

i mean if the question is "which aircraft is it safest to bring into the family home" theres a whole new can of worms

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Infinotize posted:

Motorcycles are safer because they’re small and nimble, the statistics are off because I just spend my time weaving through traffic without a helmet at 100mph.

Right? Helicopters are only really dangerous because of the extremely dangerous way we fly them isn’t the best rebuttal.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

You will see some motorcycle brands like BMW with better crash stats because their bikes cost more and the riders are older.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Dr_Strangelove posted:

the squattest boi

It's a great regret of mine that I never got to fly on a 747SP. They're just so :shobon:.

And, of course, they'd be a far better size for a 747 BBJ and likely have :eyepop: range if they were made with new engines and the same composites from the 8i series, but unfortunately all the Arab oil billionaires and sheiks are compensating, so there's nothing but 8i-based BBJs.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 03:44 on May 17, 2023

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Mortabis posted:

It also stated that basically nobody practices autorotations all the way to the ground because it tends to damage the aircraft. I

We most certainly practice autorotations all the way to the ground and it's required for your check ride.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Murgos posted:

Right? Helicopters are only really dangerous because of the extremely dangerous way we fly them isn’t the best rebuttal.

They fulfill a function and the risks have deemed to be acceptable for the work that they can do. Asking an airplane to do the same work and they either can't or the risks would be much much higher.
Or do you think that say, medevac flights aren't worth the risk?

Being a squid does not fulfill any function, beyond removing stupid people from the gene-pool.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

ryanrs posted:

You will see some motorcycle brands like BMW with better crash stats because their bikes cost more and the riders are older.

Yamaha Niken, safest motorbike ever!

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

An Oregon Air National Guard F-15 got a bath today:

https://centraloregondaily.com/f-15-kingsley-irrigation-canal-crash-klamath-falls/

The pilot wasn't hurt

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Can't park there, mate

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

FuturePastNow posted:

An Oregon Air National Guard F-15 got a bath today:

https://centraloregondaily.com/f-15-kingsley-irrigation-canal-crash-klamath-falls/

The pilot wasn't hurt

"An amphibious F-14 Tomcat, a trait all Navy aircraft share the world over, is parked in an aquatic revetment at RAF Luton."

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It's a great regret of mine that I never got to fly on a 747SP. They're just so :shobon:.

Agreed, it’s such a neat airplane.

I haven’t flown in many widebodies. I may have been on a 747 when I was four and we flew to Alaska to visit my dad when he was on a remote tour, but that’s a vague memory at best.

I did enjoy the all-787 trip seven years ago when I went DFW-NRT-HAN and back, even with all the issues that airplane has had.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

BIG HEADLINE posted:

And, of course, they'd be a far better size for a 747 BBJ and likely have :eyepop: range if they were made with new engines and the same composites from the 8i series, but unfortunately all the Arab oil billionaires and sheiks are compensating, so there's nothing but 8i-based BBJs.
P&W Canada still has and flies a couple. I think they are both based out of Montreal.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"An amphibious F-14 Tomcat, a trait all Navy aircraft share the world over, is parked in an aquatic revetment at RAF Luton."

"Photographed by an RAF Canberra."

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Beastie posted:

Can't dock there, mate

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Dr_Strangelove posted:

the squattest boi

short fat planes are the best

tee hee

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

short fat planes are the best

tee hee

Does this mean that the BAE-146 is the best plane?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I think it's adorable :3: