Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

No! No!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Just putting this here for future use

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

tbh if you got the smart tvs second hand off facebook marketplace + craigslist you could probably do a single room cheaper than drywall. people just leave them on the side of the road when they get a new one now lol

If you count the cost to install and plaster the drywall I think the smart tvs are very competitive here tbh, probably be easier to mount the tvs as a DIYer

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Mods I need the feedback thread reopened immediately!!

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Zodium posted:

you're welcome. all of this is very normal, and has actually been discussed at length in the the organizing and re-education threads. for example, you don't start out going "hey guys, let's unionize" in a vacuum, you start small and build organization as your demands for, say, more sensible PTO policies are refused by management

come post in the organize your workplace thread and the re-education thread. :cheersdoge:

Emphasizing this. Things have to start small, by talking with people outside of the workplace. Before anything, you got to build solidarity. If that helps, my own approach when helping around with that kind of stuff is to help them get the ball rolling about their work and being a good listener, especially when they are getting stuff out of their chest in the right direction of class consciousness

Personal example: last weekend on this random social I got a pretty right-wing doctor to open up and he just blurted out that there's a lot of bullshit in healthcare work, after I pointed out that of course, he is a hard worker, had plenty of dedication and certainly suffered a lot of unnecessary stress and abuse because that's "expected" in residence. He was surprised by himself then went on apologizing - something that happens quite a bit at this level of professional class - while I was assuring him no, it's alright man, please do share, you are not bothering at all etc. He thanked me when he was leaving and said that he almost never had the opportunity to talk about stuff like that in his social circle. Seems even a bit silly when put like that, but that's how eight others this year say that they consider themselves communists now - and it all started with those interactions

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

SKULL.GIF posted:

you WILL surrender your labor to the American machine

https://twitter.com/zerohedge/status/1658472169314332674

*Speaking to a quadriplegic* I don’t see any attempts to work submitted here so we’re taking you off food stamps and disability. People like you milking the system give those on disability a bad name

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
if you can use your eye movements to type even with locked-in syndrome, i don't see why any of these people can't at least be doing data entry

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

unionizing your workplace doesn't make it a paradise, it doesn't cure cancer. but it sure beats the alternative

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Dr. VooDoo posted:

*Speaking to a quadriplegic* I don’t see any attempts to work submitted here so we’re taking you off food stamps and disability. People like you milking the system give those on disability a bad name

Don't be too hasty, there's an appeals process to reinstate it that only takes 6-12 months and you'll get a lump sum reimbursement if the appeal goes through. All you need to do is hire a lawyer to begin the process and you're good to go.

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023
People on disability are also heavily disincentivized from working - they tithe your earnings back to social security after your first hundred earned and they take away your insurance if you make more than a couple grand in a month.

If they actually reformed this lovely system to not be so counter productive and punishing I would welcome it

Instead we'll probably get work requirements on top of this poo poo

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

if you can work the you aren’t disabled (per ss defintion ) unless you are blind

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

euphronius posted:

if you can work the you aren’t disabled (per ss defintion ) unless you are blind

i am disabled (wears glasses, annoying)

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Adding "disabled" under "olds" to the list of people cspam wants to euthanize.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

Adding "disabled" under "olds" to the list of people cspam wants to euthanize.

okay what groups do you think are more deserving of being injected with youth??

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

okay what groups do you think are more deserving of being injected with youth??

Gay billionaires

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Have some China fear mongering
https://twitter.com/COdendahl/status/1658478970659303446?t=jzopESr29MyNQWhpweQhvw&s=19

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

German is such a hosed up language

Uberrollen

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

"Free trade!"

"No, not like that!"

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023
Don't worry guys the Chinese economy is gonna collapse soon

Any day now

Any day now

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

fits my needs posted:

i would be depressed too if i had to move from santa cruz to seattle

same. Seattle sucks

tho 17 is also it’s own hell. many sides

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

lol. the west is getting dengowned. love to see it

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
On the topic of building supplies.

I actually experienced a price drop.

I had to rebuild the steps to the front and back of my place and priced out cedar boards last summer. I did the must repair stuff but left the rest for this year.

This spring the price of Cedar dropped 35% at the same store. The owner was telling me that the lumber barons finally caved and passed on the price drop in raw timber due to poor sales.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Taima posted:

Thanks man I really appreciate the perspective and you've given me a lot to think about.
I think others have have good answers but the only thing I’ll repeat is that these are all completely normal diaelectics and struggle seshs. america has colored the perception of the masses to believe it is not and to internalize guilt in a Protestant self-flagellation circlejerk. if you are feeling guilty, that’s what the organism wants as an outlet

I would agree that escapism is also it’s own self-flagellation.

and the last thing I’ll add about things grinding slowly to getting worse: this is the vines of change. the uncertainty. the end of history was the true untold lovecraftian horror. there is now uncertainty to the boundary conditions, which if one projects the inertial forces of today does indeed appear to be infinite blood-grindly worse, but the increased uncertainty means it is not foretold. that’s why it’s very fascinating

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

No touching!

https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1658486157909561344

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Danny LaFever posted:

I had to rebuild the steps to the front and back of my place and priced out cedar boards last summer. I did the must repair stuff but left the rest for this year.

This spring the price of Cedar dropped 35% at the same store. The owner was telling me that the lumber barons finally caved and passed on the price drop in raw timber due to poor sales.

I have a guy coming out today to give me an estimate to fix my old lovely neglected deck and I'm expecting to be handed an estimate for $20k+

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Mr Hootington posted:

Enjoy the poisoned chalice. 😈

I turned it down last time for this reason but every now and then we get insanely stupid topics (self righteous whining at X group) that makes me regret it

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

they say this every time. UBS was telling Bloomberg "no chance" they'd absorb CS, while backdoor talks were already underway with the SNB and FINMA. they just want governments to sweeten the deal

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

Don't worry guys the Chinese economy is gonna collapse soon

Any day now

Any day now

china is collapsing when they aren't #1 in everything

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

i am disabled (wears glasses, annoying)

We can get disability for being annoying now?

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Dr. VooDoo posted:

loving freeloaders. you dont need legs to work.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Brain Curry posted:

We can get disability for being annoying now?

yes but you have to prove how annoying you are to the disability office

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

money spigot broke

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
wrong thread

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

webcams for christ posted:

they say this every time. UBS was telling Bloomberg "no chance" they'd absorb CS, while backdoor talks were already underway with the SNB and FINMA. they just want governments to sweeten the deal

yup lol. didn’t feds give JPM like $10 billion in cash to buy FRC?

this is like when oil companies say ohhh no we won’t build more refineries! what they sayin is they want tax payers to sweeten them up and pay for it

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

German is such a hosed up language

Uberrollen

sie hassen

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Smythe posted:

struggle sesh

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Xaris posted:

so in in debord-ian terms, there's the reality: who owns what, who can afford what, and that's what really matters, but reality has disappeared. it's there but don't think about it OK?? the spectacle is a super reality, or a tumor reality that's taken over the host and the spectacle artifice becomes our consciousness and full of stuff that doesn't matter. like the fresh new products you don't need, or what celebrity gossip. even when reality is brought up, it's mixed in with the whole morass and drowns out.

where marx would say: the wealth of those societies in which capitalist mode of production prevails, presents itself as an immense accumulation of commodities. Debord takes this and instead says the wealth of those societies in which capitalist mode of production prevails, life is presented as an immense accumulation of spectacles. The reality, true production, is now who owns what and seduces all the attention from the rest of it. moving from the conspicuous consumption of commodities to the conspicuous consumption of images

so that's kind of a Situationalist Institute framework. like yeah it's true, but also power and spectacles are still derive from commodities. although the two are indeed very intertwined

imo I kinda like baudrillard's expansion of SI into the simulacra, it takes debord and puts it on LSD: there is no reality, there is only hyperreality. only simulations (not in the computer sense) of what we think constitutes reality and all signs and symbols are subverted to suite the capital organism while selling it back to us. it is not a prescription nor a remedy: it's an eulogy for the real that is permanently lost and cannot be returned to

i'm probably wrong since im not a philosophy-knower but that's my understanding

this feels like idealistic cope for why “other people” don’t respond to the gospel the way you (in the abstract) want them to. like yeah no poo poo you as an individual can’t change society. fortunately, organizing isn’t about society as a whole it’s about the specific social relationships you’re a part of

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

Danny LaFever posted:

Yeah had the same experience buying peg board recently for a project, the price per sheet was half what it was last year

I wanted to get started on woodworking last year but was essentially priced out, gonna take another pass at it this fall probably if prices keep going down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I have a guy coming out today to give me an estimate to fix my old lovely neglected deck and I'm expecting to be handed an estimate for $20k+

Dude just play red you can get a budget deck going for 50 bucks