Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funking Giblet
Jun 28, 2004

Jiglightful!
I mean, it's obvious Moss has broken his mind. Barry is actually the kid, and the kid's parents are Barry's parents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
“DOES. BARRY. LOVE. SALLY”

“No”

Barry finally gets the therapy he’s needed all along and moss sends him on his way

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Cristobal bursts out of the golden statue, having been alive this whole time.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Patrick Fischler walks through the garage door, leaving a Nazi shaped hole as he explodes moss with a howitzer

Mein apologies, I need goomi barr for a vanity fair piece

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I want to say I'll be legit annoyed if the time jump poo poo is all An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge type deal but TBH this show is well written and has enough goodwill they could probably make me happy with it

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
I hope the next episode is a "Three Men and Adena" type story that takes place entirely in the interrogation room and wins all the Emmys. I think the writers could pull it off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utz7dClllx8

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Owlbear Camus posted:

I want to say I'll be legit annoyed if the time jump poo poo is all An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge type deal but TBH this show is well written and has enough goodwill they could probably make me happy with it

Same, but I still feel like the time jump was ultimately unnecessary and pointless. So far, anyways. There’s still two to go, but after two episodes I’m not really that invested anymore.

And if my insane “Gene and Moss are actually working together again” predication works out I’ll be even more let down. Hoping it was just Moss being an amazing detective and seeing a moment that may pan out.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

there really isn’t anything insane about that speculation. gene left his front door wide open & barry’s stakeout wasn’t exactly subtle. if sally heard gene was back it’s pretty drat certain that moss also knows. moss already successfully browbeat gene into working with him once and also already successfully honeypotted barry using gene once. there’s a really strong theme throughout the show of people making the same mistakes over and over. is it disappointing because it’s not a swerve?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

timp posted:

I kinda think so too. Barry’s clearly broken in some way (probably multiple)
Please no. I'm close to some multiples and they're perfectly perfectly normal people, are nothing like how they're portrayed on TV, and are way more likely to be the victims of violence than perpetrate it. Media needs to stop doing this to people with mental illnesses.

Hughmoris posted:

Shannon was stabbed.
I acquit was way loving worse.

LOST was a show where bugfuck poo poo happened all the time and the discussion around Shannon being stabbed was absolutely loving insufferable and I don't understand where the hell it even came from, but at least that was a show wrapped in mysteries and twists.

I acquit made no loving sense on its face. There was literally no reason for Michael to say that absolute loving non-sequitur when everything in the episode was building to him quitting his job.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

from the way they worded it, I think that poster was insinuating that barry has multiple things wrong with him, not that he has DID.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

panko posted:

there really isn’t anything insane about that speculation. gene left his front door wide open & barry’s stakeout wasn’t exactly subtle. if sally heard gene was back it’s pretty drat certain that moss also knows. moss already successfully browbeat gene into working with him once and also already successfully honeypotted barry using gene once. there’s a really strong theme throughout the show of people making the same mistakes over and over. is it disappointing because it’s not a swerve?

I get the whole “Barry doesn’t actually want to change” theme since it’s been running steadily through four seasons now. I’d be disappointed because I would have guessed a major plot point with what supposed to be a flippant remark.

Or it’s just more of me not feeling this time jump. It’s probably that.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I don’t think it’s that Barry doesn’t want to change, I think he doesn’t know how. He’s too drat good with murder, and it solves so many of his problems. It gave him community in the Marines, a job in the world. He’s never developed any other skills.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

panko posted:

from the way they worded it, I think that poster was insinuating that barry has multiple things wrong with him, not that he has DID.
:doh:

I'm sorry.

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

One of the best things about the tv show Barry is that I have literally no idea what’s going to happen next episode. Barry and Moss, could be anything, would be insulting to try and guess. All I know is that it will be brilliant.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Dave Angel posted:

One of the best things about the tv show Barry is that I have literally no idea what’s going to happen next episode. Barry and Moss, could be anything, would be insulting to try and guess. All I know is that it will be brilliant.

The writers did a good job making things off-kilter from the get go. Now they can do anything and we'll buy it.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

yeah. outlandish things happen in this show all the time. like when sasha saw a horse from her flat window, in the middle of the street in london :britain:

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(

Hughmoris posted:

the end of Avenue 5

gently caress

I had no idea. Also RIP raised by wolves, but i already mourned for it.

I mean, House of the dragon, last of us and Succession was a stellar line up of shows for like half a year, I'm sure HBO has something great coming.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Mr. Nemo posted:

gently caress

I mean, House of the dragon, last of us and Succession was a stellar line up of shows for like half a year, I'm sure HBO has something great coming.

Lol

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Cristobal bursts out of the golden statue, having been alive this whole time.

It’s been done.

I thought the Sally scene was Lynchian. Not quite as weird as David Lunch usually is, but he explores dream worlds like that all the time. Hard to tell what’s real and what’s not, and always a little creepy. Loved it.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful

Mr. Nemo posted:

Now to take a great big sip of water and Google "What's happening to HBO next week"

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Funking Giblet posted:

I mean, it's obvious Moss has broken his mind. Barry is actually the kid, and the kid's parents are Barry's parents.

Makes total sense. I bet Barry at that age didn't know what call of duty is either.

How old is Barry (pre timeskip) anyway? Hader is 44, but in Hollywood live action that just means Barry is no longer prepubescent.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Mr. Nemo posted:

gently caress

+ Perry Mason

HBO has been killing it

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar

Funking Giblet posted:

That's actually a good point. Hader confirmed it was a time skip, but did he confirm it was moving forward in time?

(Obviously there are also things happening 8 years in the future such as the Gene and Hank plots).

Spermanent Record fucked around with this message at 10:24 on May 18, 2023

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1658498794449784832?t=wq8et23nSvFTAqwYZmF6eg&s=19

Now that's a sign

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I've never been to a game but as far as I can tell, nothing good ever happens there so Barry is totally correct.

https://twitter.com/ABCNews4/status/1518774952324911105

Harvey Birdman
Oct 21, 2012

cant cook creole bream posted:

How old is Barry (pre timeskip) anyway? Hader is 44, but in Hollywood live action that just means Barry is no longer prepubescent.

Old enough for the marines in the 2000s, so at least late 30s, I guess?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
One of the only times I’ve seen an honest to god fist fight break out between adults was at a youth baseball game.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Ignis posted:

A Florida teen rescued a 7-year-old little leaguer from a dust devil that suddenly appeared.
rescued? did they think it was going to take him away to Oz?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

oh jay posted:

The deepest lore. Is there a recommended watch order for the Bill Hader Comedic Universe or is release order the way to go?

All of his gameshow host appearances are alternative Barrys with a somehow higher kill count

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Harvey Birdman posted:

Old enough for the marines in the 2000s, so at least late 30s, I guess?

I think I heard 44 somewhere in the series. Like maybe about the article pre jump?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah I remember them saying a specific age and going huh that's actually haders age

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

+ Perry Mason

HBO has been killing it

Winning Time, Righteous Gemstones, and prolly something else I'm forgetting too.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
And Peacemaker which won't see season 2 until much much later :negative:

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

DarklyDreaming posted:

And Peacemaker which won't see season 2 until much much later :negative:

Feels like they dropped the ball on scheduling season 2 because the show seemed a massive, out-of-nowhere, hit.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

+ Perry Mason

HBO has been killing it

Killing the good shows yes

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
If Perry Mason was gonna be renewed, they'd have done that by now.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

david zaslav gonna play to both HBO and his strengths

by bringing back Tax Cab Confessionals

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Do they need writers to bring back that stripper show.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Robobot posted:

As good a guess as any, but no one knows the future. None of us have a Cristabol.

And now Hank doesn't practice Santeria either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.
Count me as one person devastated they cancelled Avenue 5, it just got better and better every episode in the 2nd season.

Anyways, in keeping with the people making the same mistakes / show looping back on itself theme, I think that Barry gets rescued from being tied to a chair and tortured in a garage by Hank's goons just like Barry rescued Fuches from Goran's garage in s1.

e: this sets up a finale confrontation between Hank + Fuches over Barry's fate.