Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

The Maroon Hawk posted:

It’s not the kind of wedding I’d throw for myself, but if I were invited to one, I’d fit the theme and probably have a fuckin’ blast

Yea, Just roll with it. In the long run, it's not going to ruin my life and I might have some good stories to tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

posted:

I am American,

You're the problem

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I’m worried about my kid so I’m going to hide in a dark bathroom and scream at him when he comes in to use it.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Biplane posted:

My number one type is "woman who likes me"

This would be my type too, but I am yet to find one. :(

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
In my mind the only thing that excuses bathroom mum is some deep trauma related to being locked in a bathroom. But that would be a hell of a reach.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I'd love a solution to the mystery because my mom does the exact same thing. Just instead of screaming bloody murder she'll make a sour "tsk" sound, as if you're the rear end in a top hat for walking in on her.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Hughlander posted:

I think this was posted years and years ago but came across it today again...

One Wedding, Two Different Opinions

Part 2: Where OOP2 Recognizes Herself in OOP1’s Tale of Woe.

*clutches pearls* Those *MEN* are wearing *MAKEUP!*

I mean, just from OOP1’s description, it sounds like everybody enjoyed themselves with their campy horror wedding.

I think it sounds pretty fun. I also think OOP1’s only joy in life is probably being nasty to pope who don’t fit her very narrow idea of polite society. I doubt T needed the message passed onto him by that point, but it probably helped to know he did not need to break up with his awful girlfriend.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Cythereal posted:

AITA for making people at the table "uncomfortable"?

But recently I found out he's really in love with his new girlfriend Hana. As you couldn't already tell from her name, Hana is of Japanese descent.

I think the racist OP meant "As if you couldn't already tell from her name". But the thing is, you genuinely couldn't tell. The name Hana shows up independently in a bunch of different cultures.

AITA for telling my son that his poor performance in math class is his choice?

quote:

My 8-year-old son (we'll call him Peter) has never been particularly good at math. He was never terrible, usually on or slightly above grade level. However, he's always been much stronger in English/reading, and his writing abilities are similar to those of someone in 5th grade. However, this year, Peter has been struggling badly in math. I've tried sitting with him after school, flashcards, memory games, etc. Nothing seems to work. This is particularly embarrassing for me because I'm an engineer, so not only do I use math every day, but I absolutely love it.

Well, last night, Peter's teacher sent his quiz paper home and said he needed to have a parent sign it. He scored a 45%, and the stuff that he missed was stuff that we had gone over repeatedly. I asked him what happened, and he began to tear up and say that he just blanked. I became furious. I asked him if he thought I enjoyed wasting my time after a stressful day at work and sitting in traffic going over math with him, when he just intended to fail his assignments. He seemed shocked, but I doubled down. I told him that this level of "blanking" must be intentional because there's no way that someone his age could have such a goldfish brain. Peter's older sister never had such trouble with her math assignments in 3rd grade, and I made sure to mention that, too.

Peter started looking down and stammering, but I told him to go to his room and think about what an embarrassment he was to me. I could tell that he was trying to come up with a smart-aleck remark.
His teacher must think that my wife and I don't give a drat at all, which makes me look absolutely horrible. After a little while, I went to check on Peter. He was reading one of his books. I asked him to put it down so that we could have a chat. I asked him if he understood why I was upset. He nodded. I smiled and gently reinforced all the points that I was making earlier. Then I asked him for an apology. He frowned again and got mad, threw the book on the floor and told me I didn't understand at all.

For the rest of the evening, Peter refused to come out of the room. My wife and I couldn't believe how badly behaved he was being and how he utterly refused to take any responsibility for his failures. This morning, he barely said anything to me when he left to catch the school bus, and all I could do was shake my head and sigh. I love my son, but sometimes his ego is so inflated that he cannot bring himself to admit when he's wrong. I just hope that I won't have to meet with his teacher or the principal at some point because of his grades. AITA?

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Lottery of Babylon posted:

To quote Dr Yueh from Dune: I wish to kill a man.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

I think the racist OP meant "As if you couldn't already tell from her name". But the thing is, you genuinely couldn't tell. The name Hana shows up independently in a bunch of different cultures.

:chanpop:

Wow I wonder why that 8 year old might have panicked on his math test

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

I smiled and asked him to apologize for my behavior

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Crocobile posted:

:chanpop:

Wow I wonder why that 8 year old might have panicked on his math test

Afaict that post is gone so they must’ve gotten quite roasted very quickly

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Jesus christ this kid's got another ten years before he can exit the crucible

edit:

i am a moron posted:

Afaict that post is gone so they must’ve gotten quite roasted very quickly

Looks like it's still up, unless it got reposted by an empty account in the same subreddit

Coca Koala fucked around with this message at 01:48 on May 19, 2023

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
AITA for going to my employee's house to try to reason with him?

quote:

I'm the store manager of dollar general. We've been having staffing shortage because cashiering and recovery is too good for the kids nowadays. Anyway this story is about Leo. We were desperate for people and Leo managed to only get nights and no weekends so he took advantage of our desperation for people that we had no choice.

Anyways he called me today saying he was sick despite being perfectly fine last night. I told him he had to find coverage for his own shift and he gave me sass saying "ok send me the numbers but clock me in first" I told him to stop being a smart mouth but he said he was "serious" and then said "well its not my job then. I'm letting you know I'm not coming in today" so I told him failure to show up for his scheduled shift or finding coverage will be a write up. He said "okay then I'm quitting" and hung up. I was fed up because he has a great gig working 3 nights a week and he's just going to leave us high and dry. I decided to drive to his house because I just wanted to reason with him and also I'd take back what I said about the write up since this will be just one exception this one time. He's a 18 year old so he doesn't have work ethic yet. Anyways I went to his house and he was laying in a hammock with a MAN. I called him out about if he's so sick why is he doing that and he started yelling at me about why I'm there and that I always "talk down" to him like that. I told him he's pretty energetic to come work and so lets just forget this ever happened. He cursed me out and said to get out I tried to get another word in but the man he was having relations with butted in. I gave up and left and now I had to close the story early tonight because nobody answered my calls and texts. I know I should have probably bit my tongue in the beginning but I'm just sick of nobody wanting to work and also taking advantage of places with labor shortages. And I especially cant have new people just waltz in and think they're going to dictate when and when not they're going to work either AITA for showing up to his house to try to try to compromise?

AITA for asking my girlfriend to only speak English in our home?

quote:

I (m34) moved in with my girlfriend (soon to be fiancé), Cornelia (f31). I knew from day one that English wasn’t her native language (she’s a Polish immigrant) and that she also speaks Polish and Spanish but I haven’t realised how much those two languages affected her life. I mean, she speaks English on daily basis and her work life is solely in English so you can’t blame me for not realising it.

We moved in and suddenly, other languages found their way to creep into our lives. Her Netflix is full of foreign movies, her music is often foreign She wants to talk about movies from Poland or Latin America that I have no interest in and don’t want to watch with subtitles. I never know what language I am going to encounter when I come home. One day she’ll watch news in Spanish, the next it’ll be in English only to switch to Polish. It’s infuriating.

I sat her down and explained to her that it makes me incredibly uncomfortable that there are a lot of things in our house that I cannot understand and if she could, please, tone it down.

She asked me what I meant and I explained again that she should stick to music and movies in English so we could discuss them and watch them together. I expected her to take it on board and listen to me and actually try and make me more comfortable in my own house. So you can imagine my surprise when she said ‘You’ve got to be kidding me.’

I told her that there was nothing inappropriate about my request and she is selfish if she continues to do things that make me uncomfortable. For all I know, she could be watching some awful or racist stuff but I wouldn’t know about it because she can just hide it.

She basically called me an rear end in a top hat, in more than one language and told me she had to think and went to spend the night with her friend.

I said to think carefully because it’s a small requested and she should be more accommodating instead of alienating me in my own house.

She ignored me and slammed the door to the bedroom to go and pack.

Now she’s left and I worry that perhaps she was right, perhaps I overreacted and should’ve sucked it up and tried to approach is slowly? One language at a time?

AITA for approaching it so directly?

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 01:51 on May 19, 2023

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Coca Koala posted:

edit:

Looks like it's still up, unless it got reposted by an empty account in the same subreddit

I use the Apollo app and can’t see the post and searching shows nothing. Shame cause seeing people’s responses to those is always nice

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

*one week after moving into my girlfriend's house* You can't treat me like that in my own house, what if your movie is racist??

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Clocks posted:

the way my face scrunched up just reading this, i can't imagine how gross it would've been in person

Seriously. I hit the first part where he states he has a preference for Asian girls and said,”ugh, gross,” out loud. Then it got worse. Just gross. Yuck.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

*one week after moving into my girlfriend's house* You can't treat me like that in my own house, what if your movie is racist??

Just read the subtitles

quote:

that I have no interest in and don’t want to watch with subtitles

oh no

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Bored posted:

Seriously. I hit the first part where he states he has a preference for Asian girls and said,”ugh, gross,” out loud. Then it got worse. Just gross. Yuck.

it's pretty much always Japanese girls when these weeabos say preference for Asian girls, right? Like none of them are salivating over the idea of an Indian girl or a girl from Laos or Pakistan.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Cowslips Warren posted:

quote:

She basically called me an rear end in a top hat, in more than one language

Lol :owned:

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Cowslips Warren posted:

quote:

For all I know, she could be watching some awful or racist stuff
Wouldn't OP like racist stuff since he is racist? :thunk:

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Cowslips Warren posted:

it's pretty much always Japanese girls when these weeabos say preference for Asian girls, right? Like none of them are salivating over the idea of an Indian girl or a girl from Laos or Pakistan.

You are highly underestimating the Korean fetishists.

It's the same kind of guy. Only instead of having watched a Dragonball episode in his youth to become the way he is, he watched a Red Velvet music video.

The racism and lack of self awareness is exactly the same, though.

Invisible Clergy posted:

Wouldn't OP like racist stuff since he is racist? :thunk:

Whilst guys like this ("Speak only English in my house!!") are often racist, I would argue its more about control, and that he feels "disrespected", intimidated, and emasculated by the fact that his girlfriend speaks more languages than him. And is showing off/showing him up.

Basically he wants his girlfriend to always be, and always seem to be lesser than him, and can't handle a woman who can do/knows things.

There's also the fear/hatred of "the other" going on. i.e. "Ewww, that's foreign and different. I don't understand it, and it would take a minimum of effort to watch these movies. Therefore I hate it and forbid it! As it is my manly right to do."

BrigadierSensible fucked around with this message at 02:19 on May 19, 2023

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

BrigadierSensible posted:

It's the same kind of guy. Only instead of having watched a Dragonball episode in his youth to become the way he is, he watched a Red Velvet music video.

Yeah; every minority group has a bunch of creepy white guys fetishizing them.

That said, if Cowslips Warren meant "guys who say they're into 'asians' always mean Japanese women because they're weebs" and not "these kinds of guys are only attracted to Japanese women and not women from other Asian countries" I have also observed that to be true when seeing guys utter and then elaborate on this statement to horror similar to that of op's family in the story.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Whilst guys like this ("Speak only English in my house!!") are often racist, I would argue its more about control, and that he feels "disrespected", intimidated, and emasculated by the fact that his girlfriend speaks more languages than him. And is showing off/showing him up.

Basically he wants his girlfriend to always be, and always seem to be lesser than him, and can't handle a woman who can do/knows things.

There's also the fear/hatred of "the other" going on. i.e. "Ewww, that's foreign and different. I don't understand it, and it would take a minimum of effort to watch these movies. Therefore I hate it and forbid it! As it is my manly right to do."

To be perfectly clear, I know OP is appropriating the language of progressives in bad faith to pretend he has some kind of moral objection to the gf watching non-english things in his presence. I was not actually curious about his hypocrisy because fascists do not actually have any beliefs, just that it was funny he was pretending to pearlclutch about racism while being actively racist.

All the stuff you're saying is also obviously true, I just think this character is also pretty clearly racist.

edit: sorry for the double post, I thought I'd clicked edit.

AITA for telling my son I'm dissappointed that he invited his girlfriend to his graduation instead of me?

quote:

My son is graduating next month, and for some reason his school hasn't changed the rules back to how they were before a couple years ago. This means you get to invite two people, no exceptions, I called to confirm that. My son and his girlfriend have been together for three years, she's a year older so she already graduated.

My son had a talk with me last week. He explained that since he's only able to have two people, and he'd like his girlfriend to attend, that he just wants her and my husband to be there. He claims that he picked randomly which of us would have to stay home, but I'm not sure about that.

I told him that while I'll respect his decision and obviously I can't force him to change it, I'm dissappointed. I explained that while this was his moment, it's something I want to be there for. I told him I felt it was a little silly to have his high school girlfriend come over one of his parents.

He got angry at that, and said I wasn't taking his relationship seriously, he ended the conversation after that. My husband understands my frustration and even offered to switch with me, but I don't want him to miss it either. He thinks I should've just let it go and not argued it.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

good news is he most likely doesn't have a girlfriend anymore, so really the problem solved itself!

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Cowslips Warren posted:

Assuming the OP is American, though I’ve seen some signs of this changing recently, “Asian” in everyday usage likely wouldn’t include Indian or Pakistani people.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

i am a moron posted:

I use the Apollo app and can’t see the post and searching shows nothing. Shame cause seeing people’s responses to those is always nice

The poster is Physical_Marzipan859 if that helps you find it. The responses are all along the lines of "wow you are one of the shittiest dads around", but he hasn't responded at all to any of them.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Coca Koala posted:

The poster is Physical_Marzipan859 if that helps you find it. The responses are all along the lines of "wow you are one of the shittiest dads around", but he hasn't responded at all to any of them.

That raises my hope that the whole story is fake, because if that guy was real he'd be defending himself left and right.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Cowslips Warren posted:

Lord in heaven grant to me the confidence of a man. "Soon to be fiancee" "Maybe I should have started with asking her to only drop one language at a time"

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Eh, I don't think it has to be that extreme. Being perpetually confused in your own home and lacking an understanding is something that would gently caress with anyone's head.

That said, this guys a flagrant rear end in a top hat and missed the memo that the solution to the problem is to broaden his horizons and learn some of at least one of those languages, and learn a bit more about his partner in the process.

But I suppose getting his rear end kicked to the curb because he's a shithead that would rather shut down someone else's passions than be uncomfortable also resolves the problem while also solving the problem of the woman having a terrible boyfriend.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I also need that confidence.

AITA For telling my parents the truth, when it caused my sister to lose her internship opportunity whereas I had nothing to lose by staying silent?

quote:

Me (17F) and my sister “Stefanie” (also 17F) are graduating soon. Our school had a senior field trip last friday to an amusement park (I’ll call it “Funland” for privacy) that they do every year to celebrate graduation. Our principal “Mr. Greg” explained to us during an assembly beforehand and made it very clear that if anyone got in serious trouble on the trip, they would not be allowed to go to Prom or walk at graduation, since the school was liable for anything the students did at Funland and they wanted everyone to take the rules seriously.

At Funland, Stefanie got pulled over by security after her bag set off the metal detector. Stefanie had tried to sneak in a vape pen by hiding it in a maxipad (I don’t get why the hell she tried this) and was busted. Mr. Greg explained to Stefanie that she was no longer allowed to go to Prom or walk at graduation and then told Stefanie to call our parents to pick her up. Instead of calling our parents, Stefanie called her boyfriend “Max.” Max pretended to be our dad and talked to Mr. Greg, and Mr. Greg somehow fell for it and let Stefanie leave with him. Stefanie and Max stayed in a shopping area nearby for a few hours, but then they got into an argument and Stefanie called our parents with a lie that her stomach hurt and that was why she needed them to pick her up early.

Stefanie confessed to me that she deleted the email and threw away the paper slip from the school that notified our parents about Stefanie not being allowed to attend Prom or walk at graduation. I told Stefanie she should just tell the truth because she can’t lie to our parents forever and it’ll be easier for her if she comes clean now. Stefanie just continued to pretend nothing happened until my mom bumped into Max’s mom at the store. Mom asked something about prom and Max’s mom questioned if Stefanie was allowed to attend Prom after getting in trouble at Funland. Instead of coming clean now that she was busted, Stefanie made up a story that I had been the one to get in trouble at school but that I blackmailed Stefanie into taking the fall for me.

I told the truth to my parents and exactly why Stefanie was not allowed to go to Prom or walk at graduation. Before this all happened, Stefanie had been accepted into a summer-long internship program for people interested in hairstyling and cosmetology. The program is a volunteer one but the place that sponsors it is really well-connected and from what I understand, participants are basically guaranteed a job or paid internship after. My parents told Stefanie that she was no longer allowed to do the program as punishment.

Mostly Stefanie’s friends, but also two of my own told me that I should have stayed silent and covered for Stefanie because I’m going to a community college and may have also gotten grounded for the summer but wouldn’t have really lost anything in the long run whereas my sister lost a huge opportunity that she had worked for since she was a sophomore. AITA?

WIBTA to modify a costume my niece picked out

quote:

My niece turns 6 on Saturday, and she is my favorite person. Her birthday party is a cartoon character costume party, and she is picking the characters for the guests. I’d do anything for her, so when she asked if I’d dress up for her birthday, of course I said yes.

As it turns out I was assigned Jessica Rabbit (for “reasons”, as my sister said). Fine. My sister ordered the costumes for me and a couple other guests (Cinderella, Ariel, etc). I got mine today.

It’s…a little sexy for a kids birthday party! I tried it on and it’s something I’d wear to a grown up Halloween party. I sent my sister a photo of it saying “really?” and she kind of laughed it off, said ok yes it’s a little sassy, but it’s just one day, and it’s a day party, nobody will remember. And my niece specifically picked out all the costumes including mine.

Question is, do I just suck it up (and suck it in) and wear this thing as my niece ordered it? Or WIBTA to modify it to be more kid friendly?

I am seriously wondering what six year old knows this character.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Roger Rabbit is on Disney+.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I watched a lot of old movies with my kids; I think most people try to share their own childhood favorites.

I will say my major worry about wearing that costume would be that somebody, probably my sister, would find it funny to put pictures on social media.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA For telling my parents the truth, when it caused my sister to lose her internship opportunity whereas I had nothing to lose by staying silent?

WIBTA to modify a costume my niece picked out

quote:

(for “reasons”, as my sister said)
I can't help but suspect it wasn't the niece who picked it out.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Maybe the sister is trying to set the op up with someone who will be at the party?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Yeah, but at 6 for them to know it, a parent would have had to throw it on. It's a good movie, but not exactly one I'd watch with a kid that age. The first chunk of the movie centers around an affair and blackmail plot, which a kid that age is going to have zero interest in. Even if you're ok with your kid being exposed to a bunch of sex humor, it's a weird pick.

Savage For The Winjun
Jun 27, 2008

Cowslips Warren posted:

I also need that confidence.

I was always under the impression that it was not a crime for an underage individual to possess tobacco products, only selling to them was the issue.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Savage For The Winjun posted:

I was always under the impression that it was not a crime for an underage individual to possess tobacco products, only selling to them was the issue.

Kid wasn't charged criminally, the principal said they couldn't go to prom.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Savage For The Winjun posted:

No, but it sounds like it was against park rules and they're perfectly free to bar her entry for attempting to subvert them.

She wasn't thrown in the slammer, she was told she couldn't go to prom or graduation. Which was also a clear cut, known policy in advance of the her stupidity. I've got to admire the lunacy of trying to pin it on her sibling at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

Stefanie had tried to sneak in a vape pen by hiding it in a maxipad (I don’t get why the hell she tried this)

Because she's addicted to nicotine and can't go multiple hours without a fix. This isn't complicated.