Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

low tv prices, friends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

NeonPunk posted:

That's the future they are hoping for. The whole "organic" fad won and they're going to slap an organic label on everything so they can justify an large price increase on everything

Years ago I was grabbing coffee at some random shop or another and the person in line in front of me asked about their 'organic' coffee and then proceeded to lecture the cashier about how there were very specific standards you had to meet to call your coffee organic and if they weren't from the coffee fields from Organia they could only be called sparkling coffee and he clearly did not know or care what she was talking about but clearly she was a harbinger for these dark times.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

That Works posted:

ive used the tiniest bit of detergent both for the laundry and the dishwasher for years and both always come out just fine. ive long since been convinced that the suggested amount are massive overkill so that you buy more.

This is also true of toothpaste. The amounts they use in ads is insane.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

err posted:

Idk how families are surviving, shits probably rough with kids.

it's credit cards

it feels like that can't possibly be the explanation, but it is, and basically every consumer debt metric backs that interpretation

unrionically would not be surprised if years of "credit cards are good, actually" messaging has made it extremely hard for people to realize when they're overspending on them because it's so natural for just about everyone to put routine expenses on a card

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Paradoxish posted:

it's credit cards

it feels like that can't possibly be the explanation, but it is, and basically every consumer debt metric backs that interpretation

https://www.federalreserve.gov/releases/g19/current/

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

lol that chart is bleak

credit card debt went down in 2020, we can't possibly ever let that happen again

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Jel Shaker posted:

with the reusable diapers we also noticed that too much detergent over time builds up and they start to smell, and now we use significantly less than recommended without problem

a concentrated enzyme cleaner is good to splash in (Tergazyme or something)…works a treat on period panties too if you happen to be surrounded by women and girls or are one

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

number up

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1660648429255630853

e: fyi this has been retracted

SKULL.GIF has issued a correction as of 15:22 on May 22, 2023

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

I'm willing to bet the number of households that couldn't make ends meet without credit cards (don't ask what happens when they're tapped out) is way higher than anyone wants to admit right now.

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

wtf?

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

quote:

On a family trip to the Jersey Shore in the summer of 2021, Sophia’s go-to meal was the Chick-fil-A chicken sandwich. The buns were toasty, the chicken was crispy and the fries didn’t spill from the bag.

Sophia was entering her sophomore year in prep school, but her parents were already thinking ahead to college. They paid to enroll her in an online service called Scholar Launch, whose programs start at $3,500. Scholar Launch, which started in 2019, connects high school students with mentors who work with them on research papers that can be published and enhance their college applications.

Publication “is the objective,” Scholar Launch says on its website. “We have numerous publication partners, all are peer-reviewed journals.”

The prospect appealed to Sophia. “Nowadays, having a publication is kind of a given” for college applicants, she said. “If you don’t have one, you’re going to have to make it up in some other aspect of your application.”

Sophia said she chose marketing as her field because it “sounded interesting.” She attended weekly group sessions with a Scholar Launch mentor, a marketing executive who also taught at an Ivy League business school, before working one-on-one with a teaching assistant. Assigned to analyze a company’s marketing strategy, she selected Chick-fil-A.

Sophia’s paper offered a glowing assessment. She credited Chick-fil-A as “responsible for the popularity of the chicken sandwich,” praised its fare as healthier than fast-food burgers, saluted its “humorous yet honest” slogan (a cow saying, “Eat mor chikin”) and admired its “family-friendly” attitude and “traditional beliefs,” exemplified by closing its restaurants on Sundays. Parts of her paper sounded like a customer endorsement (and she acknowledged to ProPublica that her marketing analysis could’ve been stronger). Neither too dry nor too juicy, the company’s signature sandwich “is the perfect blend to have me wanting more after every bite,” she wrote. “Just from the taste,” Chick-fil-A “is destined for success.”

Her heartfelt tribute to the chicken chain appeared on the website of a new online journal for high school research, the Scholarly Review. The publication touts its “thorough process of review” by “highly accomplished professors and academics,” but it also displays what are known as preprints. They aren’t publications “in the traditional sense” and aren’t vetted by Scholarly Review’s editorial board, according to Roger Worthington, its chair.

I probably should be outraged, but right now I'm puzzled why people in the Northeast love Chick-fil-A so much.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

lol that chart is bleak

credit card debt went down in 2020, we can't possibly ever let that happen again

ikr

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

if you can't see it, it seems like twitter's having issues and some aren't loading

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

Still seems to be there, embeds seem a little broken this morning

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

They're blowing up the debt ceiling

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

triple sulk posted:

if you can't see it, it seems like twitter's having issues and some aren't loading

Yeah it popped for me right after I posted, hehe

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The various breaking-news twitterers are saying that the report was retracted. :shrug:

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Eric Cantonese posted:

I probably should be outraged, but right now I'm puzzled why people in the Northeast love Chick-fil-A so much.

it's quick and easy to get and tastes like it's 80% salt

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

Welp I guess they found that missing fertilizer

https://twitter.com/fordm/status/1660425039668297732?s=20

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

SKULL.GIF posted:

The various breaking-news twitterers are saying that the report was retracted. :shrug:

Someone made an AI generated picture of an explosion outside of the pentagon and posted it. A bunch of the new fake news verified accounts grabbed it and ran.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Who would have known this "ai" poo poo would lead to a world where you can no longer believe anything.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Mr Hootington posted:

Who would have known this "ai" poo poo would lead to a world where you can no longer believe anything.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
"can we see the security footage of what happened?"

"no."

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Interesting that Kashkari and Bullard both said more rate hikes coming. This is after Powell was pretty much saying they were done.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

I thought Powell just hinted at a pause. I never got the impression they were backing off on a higher terminal rate.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Paradoxish posted:

I thought Powell just hinted at a pause. I never got the impression they were backing off on a higher terminal rate.

It's all Kayfabe. They're going to cut before the year is over, I know it. The market consensus is that hikes are done, so the fed is saber rattling to try and spook markets a little.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

I would bet they don't. The market is delusional and I think the best case scenario (for the money spigot) is that we plateau where we are into 2024 at a minimum. The only way that changes is if a legitimate recession looks inevitable.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Vox Nihili posted:

Thank you. I am humbled by this opportunity to be an honorary forums crossing guard. As a great woman once said, be best.

Welcome to Number Fortress.

goongrats on your impending mental break

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

I hit up a pair of pawn shops this weekend for the first time in a year or so and boy howdy were they ever well stocked with inventory, which is I'm sure a sign of a resoundingly healthy economy :buddy:

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Trump will cut rates to negative after he is reelected

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

https://twitter.com/unusual_whales/status/1660637062268338181?t=o7pPoelNbQ8sfLCE3Q2bcA&s=19

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Paradoxish posted:

I would bet they don't. The market is delusional and I think the best case scenario (for the money spigot) is that we plateau where we are into 2024 at a minimum. The only way that changes is if a legitimate recession looks inevitable.

If it’s a legitimate recession, the American country has ways to try to shut that whole thing down.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Lmao at this piece
https://twitter.com/nkulw/status/1660634340202778624?t=EZbkRxNU5lNnfayXMt1KAA&s=19

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Half of Americans say their budgets are getting slammed by increasing costs.

Economists baffled by people's gloomy attitudes towards the economy.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Mr Hootington posted:

Hideo Kojima knew back in 2001

since ‘AI’ is just a lossy jpeg compression of the internet, it stands to presume the internet then reflects back the lossy jpeg compression results, which then generate more lossy jpeg algorithm results and so forth and so on until the internet is digital Soylent slurry — complete with rat turds

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

Someone made an AI generated picture of an explosion outside of the pentagon and posted it. A bunch of the new fake news verified accounts grabbed it and ran.

Is someone running the plot to the 4th die hard movie?

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

We didn't need AI for that.

https://medium.com/team-human/operation-mindfuck-2-0-358f9d237174

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Paradoxish posted:

Half of Americans say their budgets are getting slammed by increasing costs.

Economists baffled by people's gloomy attitudes towards the economy.

Seems like you hear "economists baffled" more often than "economists knock this one out of the park" or "economists got this poo poo on lockdown".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1255592005708767241

there will be ample food supply