Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Chad Sexington posted:

Now that we have the austerity debt ceiling figured out, can we please do something to help landlords!?

https://twitter.com/wealth/status/1661751526770233347

I've seen plenty of Louis Rossman videos on NY real estate. You can't fool me bloomberg, with your extremely over valued commerical property portfolio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

how it started / how it's going

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
the Blue Dogs have always been boot licking corporate stooges. they just went away when that just became the entire party

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

God is feeding her bad intel just to gently caress with her at this point

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

God she's perfect.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

she's not gonna gently caress you

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

webcams for christ posted:

AI hype is keeping Number afloat this year

Those are all the same megacorps that were going up in value before the AI hype started

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Fewer.

Not none.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

if she weren't perfect, i could fix her

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

these fuckers

all of them

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

It's not sexual. I'm in awe of the abject incompetence of our feudal lords

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

they seem to be winning the class war handily, despite their quirks

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
Easy to win a war when the enemy is on your side.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

She's hosed me & my ira pretty well, lol.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

We get poo poo done! Specifically, poo poo that you hate that will make your lives shittier. That's pragmatism!

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Willa Rogers posted:

She's hosed me & my ira pretty well, lol.

dont kiss and tell my god

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Reading up on both, outside of abortion stances, they're both giant pieces of poo poo. But I'm sure no-one is surprised.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

gdi, another "use our credit card in the next 30 days or we're cancelling it" letter.

Fine, I'll put netflix on it & set up autopay for the same amount, you bloodsuckers. I haven't paid interest on a cc in 10 years & I'm not about to start. :mad:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Willa Rogers posted:

gdi, another "use our credit card in the next 30 days or we're cancelling it" letter.

Fine, I'll put netflix on it & set up autopay for the same amount, you bloodsuckers. I haven't paid interest on a cc in 10 years & I'm not about to start. :mad:

They're supposed to offer you a credit or something to entice you.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Vox Nihili posted:

They're supposed to offer you a credit or something to entice you.

have you SEEN how much carrots are these days?

god no. sticks are cheaper

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
the default is gonna be so stupid and/or funny

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

anime was right posted:

the default is gonna be so stupid and/or funny

My call is that a week after a successful limit increase there will be data released that we actually defaulted last month and nobody knew

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Antonymous posted:

yah it's pretty much like that

The theory is that from the perspective of monetary policy inflation and unemployment are 'twin evils' in that one can only be traded for the other. And that there is a difference between inflation and rate of inflation. Historically these usually move opposite from eachother except in the late 70s they moved together so Volker crashed the economy on purpose.

We can print money, or make money cheap by lowering rates, and then certain jobs/businesses which wouldn't be profitable will become profitable and therefore unemployment will go down. At some point, labor will have the power to ask for more pay, because they can't be easily replaced, which will raise prices because wages are a large cost of production, and because demand raises with higher incomes, which will cause them to ask for even more pay because prices went up, and the rate of inflation will take off like a jet engine.

Or we can restrict money and lending, and more jobs will become unprofitable, and people will lose their jobs, and there will be price stability but unnecessary unemployment.

There is a baseline unemployment called 'non accelerating inflationary rate of unemployment' or NAIRU where the most people are employed before that takeoff in wages/prices happens. The fed's existence is tied to a mandate to manage this rate, it's the fundamental reason (on paper) that the fed exists.

And of course there is a strong bias toward price stability at the expense of labor and they will say the NAIRU was 4% unemployment but now it is ~naturally~ 6% unemployment and whatever. The unemployment rate now is 3.4% but that is by America's bullshit unemployment metric which is defined as people who did not work at all and looked for a job in the last month. if you got fired from your career job and did gig work to cover the bills you are not unemployed even though you are looking for work.

Some inflation is good because it encourages consuming now instead of later and makes debts easier to pay off in time. so the target of inflation is usually 2-3%, low enough to be background in labor demanding wage increases but high enough that you don't wait until next year to finance a new car.

this is the orthodox explanation that is an ideological construct to explain away the 70s as if it was some natural economic law rather than a capital strike

inflation is wages not prices

prices going up is good, that's more profits!

but sometimes companies raise wages when prices go up to attract more labor, this is bad and they must be stopped. raising rates obviously does nothing to prices (more money from consumers is always more profit, interest rates don't play a role at all) but penalizes companies for making payroll (which the largest companies that employ the majority of workers do via commercial paper, so higher rates means paying employees is more expensive), that's why raising rates is the only tool the fed has for the purpose, because the role of the fed is making sure wages don't grow

since prices must always go up as the tendency is for the rate of profit to fall its impossible to get every firm on board with zero wage growth even though that would be the ideal (in fact negative wage growth, or zero wages is the actual ideal and as far as companies limited by making material goods rather than inventing bullshit financial instruments or relying on stock bubbles go nobody makes money like prison industries make money, and the firms that come close are agribusiness and producers that heavily rely on migrant labor they barely have to pay) as most firms still like to sell products that need actual people with wages to buy (though again, not the most profitable companies, those just trade novel financial constructs back and forth forever and are far more important than mere physical products) they target the smallest wage growth that can be achieved

atelier morgan has issued a correction as of 23:18 on May 25, 2023

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
the funniest thing about a default would be that’s its fine and nbd

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

check this out: AI on the blockchain

We'll call it ...

The BlockchAIn.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
shame the federal government isn't a bank, the fed could just do them a solid and poof a few tril into existence and this whole debt cieling thing is done

that's why we need postal banking

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

atelier morgan posted:

this is the orthodox explanation that is an ideological construct to explain away the 70s as if it was some natural economic law rather than a capital strike

inflation is wages not prices

prices going up is good, that's more profits!

but sometimes companies raise wages when prices go up to attract more labor, this is bad and they must be stopped. raising rates obviously does nothing to prices (more money from consumers is always more profit, interest rates don't play a role at all) but penalizes companies for making payroll (which the largest companies that employ the majority of workers do via commercial paper, so higher rates means paying employees is more expensive), that's why raising rates is the only tool the fed has for the purpose, because the role of the fed is making sure wages don't grow

since prices must always go up as the tendency is for the rate of profit to fall its impossible to get every firm on board with zero wage growth even though that would be the ideal (in fact negative wage growth, or zero wages is the actual ideal and as far as companies limited by making material goods rather than inventing bullshit financial instruments or relying on stock bubbles go nobody makes money like prison industries make money, and the firms that come close are agribusiness and producers that heavily rely on migrant labor they barely have to pay) as most firms still like to sell products that need actual people with wages to buy (though again, not the most profitable companies, those just trade novel financial constructs back and forth forever and are far more important than mere physical products) they target the smallest wage growth that can be achieved

sure I like this version. I just wanna share the official logic. either way the fed exists to discipline labor and as insurance for whenever capital fucks up, that's for certain.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Antonymous posted:

sure I like this version. I just wanna share the official logic. either way the fed exists to discipline labor and as insurance for whenever capital fucks up, that's for certain.

yeah true, and i learned the same orthodox version while failing out of university so its worth talking about i suppose, i just feel the need to hammer on that inflation is wages because people keep thinking the fed cares about food being twice as expensive

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I finally wiki'd cathie wood and lmao that her mentor was Laffer

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

silicone thrills posted:

I finally wiki'd cathie wood and lmao that her mentor was Laffer

I know, it owns so hard

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

defaulting means the usa is downgraded from AAA+++platinum to AAA+++gold and the financial markets will not give one poo poo

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Iirc financial ratings only go down to C so anything below A is a loving disaster waiting to happen.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
heh jokes on them I was only pretending to be solvent

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

gently caress. You.

I wish I could laugh this crocodile tears horseshit off the way the rest of you seem to be doing. It just makes me want to start rolling out the guillotines.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/south-bay/bay-area-safeways-crime/3237491/

quote:

Safeway employees in the Bay Area say shoplifting has been out of control, with people walking out with carts full of unpaid merchandise almost daily.

“It’s sad, the state of our society has come to that,” said Chris Wong of San Jose.

One of the first things customers might notice when arriving at the Safeway on Almaden Expressway in San Jose is a big red sign now covering what used to be a second entrance.

Employees said that as of a few days ago, now there’s only one way in and one way out.

Once inside, there’s gates near the doors, gates in every checkout aisle, a fence around the self-checkout section and several workers and security guards greeting and saying goodbye to customers.

In a statement, a spokesperson for Safeway wrote, “Recent changes were made at select Safeway stores in the Bay Area to maintain a safe and welcoming shopping experience for customers and associates given the increasing amount of theft.”

“I think it makes sense unfortunately, I’m sad it's come to that, but I think it's necessary,” said Lucina Layton of San Jose.

It's a change welcomed by many, including Councilmember Pam Foley who represents this district and has heard several concerns regarding the area.

She said police have beefed up their presence in the area.

“My question is why not here? Why not in this store?” said Maricela Cornejo.

She’s the mother of 24-year-old Manuel Huizar who was shot and killed at the Safeway in Willow Glen nearly a year ago and said these measures should become a universal standard.

Especially at a time where she believes crime is increasingly becoming more violent.

“It's not just here, it's the whole U.S.A.” said Cornejo.

maybe safeway should go back to staffing it's 24+ checkout lanes and get rid of self-checkout, instead of only staffing 1. and also reduce prices by 50% -- they're more expensive than whole foods.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Gee...almost like groceries at Safeway are necessities and that people can't afford the gouging prices that are being asked for them.

Nah. It's society that's to blame.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
probably doesnt help that safeway is literally one of the most expensive grocery stores as well.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
there are so many ways for us to not default it’s fairly insane that there’s at least even odds, if not better, that we do so

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Raskolnikov38 posted:

there are so many ways for us to not default it’s fairly insane that there’s at least even odds, if not better, that we do so

we're not going to default. dems are salivating at implementing work requirements (because no one wants to work anymore!) and cutting medicaid et al. the mcarthy-biden cuts are going to sail through

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Xaris posted:

we're not going to default. dems are salivating at implementing work requirements (because no one wants to work anymore!) and cutting medicaid et al. the mcarthy-biden cuts are going to sail through

the problem is that no one knows when X-day is and everyone seems content to let McCarthy flail about for some yet to be determined amount of time