Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Picard's acting I chalked up to him not wanting to be there and probably hating Star Trek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

He loves it

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

zoux posted:

He loves it

Yeah, Patrick Stewart loves Star Trek and loves doing Star Trek, that much is abundantly clear, he just has no personal idea what Star Trek is supposed to be about and who Jean-Luc Picard is supposed to be as a character.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, Patrick Stewart loves Star Trek and loves doing Star Trek, that much is abundantly clear, he just has no personal idea what Star Trek is supposed to be about and who Jean-Luc Picard is supposed to be as a character.

And that really freaking breaks my heart. Jean-Luc was supposed to be the epitome of a cool-headed, intelligent, authority figure, and a diplomat that understands that violence does not solve problems but usually just causes them; now we learn that the guy playing that character is a British redneck that yearned for the fight&gently caress action hero and pretty much nothing else all the time.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I mean, that's why it's called acting.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Patrick Stewart is also a big fan of Beavis and butthead

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

wesleywillis posted:

"Check it out, Riker, that chick has three boobs!"

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

Angry_Ed posted:

"Check it out, Riker, that chick has three boobs!"

"That's pretty cool. How many butts does she have?"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

wesleywillis posted:

And Transmetropolitan

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I don't think he is playing a character on American Dad. They just recorded things he said.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Sash! posted:

I don't think he is playing a character on American Dad. They just recorded things he said.
I tend to agree

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Sash! posted:

Pretty much like Chevy Chase in the Community then.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sash! posted:

Bullock started out as Seth McFarland, by his own admission, playing a game of chicken with Stewart to see what was the most offensive thing he could get Stewart to say for a paycheck before he said no, and it turned out there was no red line, he was down for literally whatever.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Pararoid posted:

I'm a few hours in and Resurgence is great. It totally gets the tone of Trek, and having objectives like "Evaluate these arguments" is just the perfect fit for the franchise.

Waiting for them to patch in more resolutions, end my 2560x1440

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

BrotherJayne posted:

Waiting for it to come off epic.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Sure, if you care about that, whatever.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

"I could have been a dentist..."

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

If you're cold, she's cold. Let her in.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Sir Lemming posted:

Oh yeah, that's definitely one of the weak ones. As I remember it, Bashir basically realizes what's going on like 10 minutes into the episode, and then the rest of it is just him wandering aimlessly around a set that we already know is a dream and just trying different things to get out of it. They screwed up the dramatic tension.

that's a good summary of why it's bad- just ends up being boring

there was an episode around it where lwaxana is making crew fall for each other because of some weird betazoid horny cupid fever thing and I didn't like it much but it was never straight up boring like that one was

Sir Lemming posted:

Fortunately you're really close to the one-two punch of "Improbable Cause" and "The Die Is Cast" which I remember being some of the best episodes of the series.

Yeah it was drat good after lots of teased bits and foreshadowing in previous episodes (the romulans trying to get as much info on the dominion as possible etc) it gave a good measured dose of action, drama and exposition- I binged the rest of the season today and the finale to 3 seemed a bit weak in comparison- almost seemed like it would have been better switched around in position with those two

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

wesleywillis posted:

All people of learning, sensitivity and culture are big fans of Beavis and Butthead.

I'm not being ironic

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

nine-gear crow posted:

Bullock started out as Seth McFarland, by his own admission, playing a game of chicken with Stewart to see what was the most offensive thing he could get Stewart to say for a paycheck before he said no, and it turned out there was no red line, he was down for literally whatever.

He said in a speech that there were only two things he was asked to say and refused: one was that Bullock was a pedophile and something bad about a friend of his, but he didn't say who.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Remember that first scene on Disco episode 1 when where they were lost in a storm and summoned their ship by stupdily drawing a logo of ... Star Trek in the sand? That the ship could see through the storm somehow and yet communications were down?

Even though also that specific logo was of Enterprise and only Enterprise at the time, if the show was supposed to be a prequel?

Yikes.

jeeves fucked around with this message at 00:36 on May 26, 2023

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

jeeves posted:

Remember that first scene on Disco episode 1 when where they were lost in a storm and summoned their ship by drawing a logo of ... Star Trek in the sand?

Even though that logo was of the Enterprise and only the Enterprise at the time?

Yikes.

No I don’t but if it’s on YouTube I’d love to see this goofy loving thing

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Arivia posted:

No I don’t but if it’s on YouTube I’d love to see this goofy loving thing

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

This isn’t a video and also it doesn’t seem to be a problem going by that article link Jeeves added. It’s a Starfleet insignia, cool.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

BrotherJayne posted:

Yeah fair enough; it is rough around the edges technically, but given it's largely a game about meetings (gently caress yes), that hasn't impacted my enjoyment much.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, the whole 'the arrowhead is only the Enterprise' thing was dropped so early in the franchise that I don't think it's even a valid nitpick.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah, the whole 'the arrowhead is only the Enterprise' thing was dropped so early in the franchise that I don't think it's even a valid nitpick.

the article jeeves linked has a letter from Bob Justman saying it wasn't true in the production during 1967 (so season 2), so yeah, not a thing at all

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

The people who claim that the arrowhead wasn't an Enterprise assignment patch but was for all "starship duty" somehow never seem to remember the uniforms on the Defiant, which all have a different insignia.

The rationalization I've come up with for this whole mess is that the insignia did vary from ship to ship, but they weren't unique -- there was a set of perhaps eight or ten of them that each captain could choose from. So Matt Decker chose the pretzel, Ron Tracey picked the embroidered rectangle, etc. But by far the most popular choice was the arrowhead, so much so that at some point after TOS, Starfleet just adopted that symbol fleet-wide and dropped the others. Boom, all problems solved.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Powered Descent posted:

The people who claim that the arrowhead wasn't an Enterprise assignment patch but was for all "starship duty" somehow never seem to remember the uniforms on the Defiant, which all have a different insignia.

Wasn't this a Mirror Universe episode?

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Nullsmack posted:

Wasn't this a Mirror Universe episode?

Yes, but the Defiant was a ship from our universe which was sent out of phase and later retconned to have been sent to the mirror universe.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
okay so the infamous "there's coffee in that nebula" line is 5 episodes in and is literally the punchline to an opener about janeway trying to connect with her crew and be more than a captain to them and having to deal with neelix's "coffee" replacement. in context it makes a lot more sense than it's made a mockery of.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Powered Descent posted:

That was back when it was assumed that every starship did have its own patch. However: we saw a few Defiant crew wearing arrowheads in TOS! And then ENT introduced a distinct patch.

My assumption is that the arrowhead is the standard duty patch, but that certain special duties or fleets get special patches.

So, say the Exeter and Defiant were on some special mission (but not everyone on Defiant had switched their tops yet). Matt Decker was wearing a Commodore patch.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 04:42 on May 26, 2023

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

MikeJF posted:

That was back when it was assumed that every starship did have its own patch. However: we saw a few Defiant crew wearing arrowheads in TOS! And then ENT introduced a distinct patch.

My assumption is that the arrowhead is the standard duty patch, but that certain special duties or fleets get special patches.

That was what was originally intended, yeah. The Antares had a different patch because they were merchant marine equivalent, starbase personnel had their own patch, and Commodore Decker's patch was meant to be because of his rank. The captain in the Omega Glory having a unique patch was an error.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

The 70's and 80's tech manuals and fanzines had a bunch of different created patches for every drat ship in the fleet, under the erroneous idea every one needed it's own, before canon overrode their ideas.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Wee Bairns posted:

The 70's and 80's tech manuals and fanzines had a bunch of different created patches for every drat ship in the fleet, under the erroneous idea every one needed it's own, before canon overrode their ideas.

Yeah that kind of idea is the perfect fanon bait.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Arivia posted:

okay so the infamous "there's coffee in that nebula" line is 5 episodes in and is literally the punchline to an opener about janeway trying to connect with her crew and be more than a captain to them and having to deal with neelix's "coffee" replacement. in context it makes a lot more sense than it's made a mockery of.

Problems with Voyager may appear larger in posters mirrors

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Nullsmack posted:

If you're cold, she's cold. Let her in.

But that's Ramirez out there, and Ramirez is standing next to me telling me not to let her in!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Arivia posted:

Yup. The whole meme about it is mostly just telling on the people who use it more than a passing shitpost that they don't know what they're talking about but are convinced they do because they watched a youtube takedown or something.