Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
There's coffee in that passing shitpost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Oh I didn't know people were mocking it, I thought they thought it was a funny line, because there IS coffee in that nebula, as it contained something they could harvest to power the replicators iirc.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Wee Bairns posted:

The 70's and 80's tech manuals and fanzines had a bunch of different created patches for every drat ship in the fleet, under the erroneous idea every one needed it's own, before canon overrode their ideas.

okay but what's the patch for the uss saddam hussein

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Arivia posted:

okay but what's the patch for the uss saddam hussein

This actually made me curious, and while beta canon doesn't seem to have his full name as a ship, there appears to be a USS Saddam in the original Starfleet Command game.
I'm not even attempting a badge, lol.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Wee Bairns posted:

This actually made me curious, and while beta canon doesn't seem to have his full name as a ship, there appears to be a USS Saddam in the original Starfleet Command game.
I'm not even attempting a badge, lol.

So yeah, it's from like omega-canon. If you're not aware there's a group of chuds with an actual license (that they got from a book publisher) - an incredibly lenient perpetual contract back in like the 1970s specifically for making games (mostly their starship wargame Star Fleet Battles), and they've added a trazillion extra war-based ships to every faction (they only have rights to use TOS and TAS content, not even the TOS movies). They added a bunch of Starfleet ships named after famous human generals and commanders, and around the time of the first Gulf War (so when Saddam was considered an ally of the US) one of them was infamously named the USS Saddam Hussein.

Starfleet Command is based on that weirdo license, so that's why the USS Saddam is included in it.

None of the Star Fleet Battles stuff is at all worth looking into. Read every single scrap of licensed fiction, look at every comic, play every other game before you touch that stuff. It's a historical oddity and it's only good for gawking at.

e: unrelated but to circle back we shouldn't be making fun of janeway for saying there's coffee in that nebula. we SHOULD be making fun of the episode's b-plot being Chakotay helping her find her loving spirit animal. I SWEAR TO GOD I AM GOING TO poo poo ON "JAMAKE HIGHWATER"'S GRAVE YOU GRAY WOLF CHARLATAN BASTARD

Arivia fucked around with this message at 07:37 on May 26, 2023

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I liked the idea that due to the events of Arena humanity and the Gorn ended up being incredibly close friends and allies

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Well we know by the late 24th century civilian Gorn aren't uncommon on Federation starbases, and Gorn ships were among the allies who came to the aid of the Federation in the Prodigy finale and risked their lives for Starfleet.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 08:28 on May 26, 2023

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MikeJF posted:

Well we know by the late 24th century civilian Gorn aren't uncommon on Federation starbases, and Gorn ships were among the allies who came to the aid of the Federation in the Prodigy finale and risked their lives for Starfleet.

Then again, Rutherford wound up at a Gorn wedding around the same time, and the entire wedding party's response to his presence was to jump on him and try to devour him, so... :shrug:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Well some people are always assholes.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

It's a good idea not to crash weddings, generally speaking

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
right now that i'm watching voyager i get to listen to the delta flyers too, hell yeah

it would be neat if there were similar podcasts for the other series (I guess shuttlepod one or whatever it is counts for enterprise, but I mean more TNG/DS9)

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Arivia posted:

right now that i'm watching voyager i get to listen to the delta flyers too, hell yeah

it would be neat if there were similar podcasts for the other series (I guess shuttlepod one or whatever it is counts for enterprise, but I mean more TNG/DS9)

Yeah I definitely enjoy the perspective of people from the show vs the opinions of hardcore Trekkies. For the latter, that's what this thread is for.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

V-Men posted:

Yeah I definitely enjoy the perspective of people from the show vs the opinions of hardcore Trekkies. For the latter, that's what this thread is for.

yeah i have a lot more sympathy, i guess? realizing that these are people just trying to make good tv and not live up to like 30 years (at the time) of increasingly crushing expectations about what a star trek should be

it doesn't excuse everything but it sure makes stuff make a lot more sense going "oh yeah there were people trying to do this and this and this" along the way

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
The way of the warrior is a fuckin' great way to start off a season, goddamn

does the following "Jake's an old man now and time travel poo poo happened" episode kind of a disservice when watching them through without the weekly delay as the change in pace/emotion feels jolting

*edit

:smith: goddamn it hits different now :smith:

DesperateDan fucked around with this message at 12:18 on May 26, 2023

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

https://twitter.com/TheDeniseCrosby/status/1661410679180648449?s=20

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Hell yeah Denise Crosby with the solidarity picketing

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I said this when I was doing a run through but tons of the awful Voyager stuff is frontloaded and comes up in season 1. "WARP PARTICLES" is like the fourth episode. Not that it becomes a masterpiece, but there are some excellent episodes and plenty of watchable ones.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

zoux posted:

I said this when I was doing a run through but tons of the awful Voyager stuff is frontloaded and comes up in season 1. "WARP PARTICLES" is like the fourth episode. Not that it becomes a masterpiece, but there are some excellent episodes and plenty of watchable ones.

I finally went through the show in order a couple years ago, and yeah, most of the poo poo I hate about "Voyager" is in the first few seasons. Not that it got great as it kept going, but boy, it was a much more irritating show for the first 2-3 years.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

zoux posted:

Yeah, the coffee nebula, warp particles, and sickbay cheese are all in S1. Kinda funny how a good chunk of the major meme moments are knocked really early on.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

HD DAD posted:

Yeah, the coffee nebula, warp particles, and sickbay cheese are all in S1. Kinda funny how a good chunk of the major meme moments are knocked really early on.

Even Threshold is season 2. Plenty of terrible season 2 TNG episodes.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
i actually find myself going through TNG season 2 a lot when i'm bored and want to put on a TNG episode

i think it's actually not that bad, particularly if you like TOS. it seems to me like they were continuing the "TOS episode, but with a different cast" formula from season 1, just with a few more guardrails and less turmoil in the writer's room so it seems more cohesive

that's not to say it's all great or anything, there are definitely bad episodes. but in particular i like:

- where silence has lease
- elementary, dear data
- the schizoid man
- a matter of honor
- the measure of a man
- contagion
- the royale
- time squared
- q who?
- samaritan snare
- peak performance

they're not all absolute bangers but they range from "fine" to "great". coincidentally that's 11/22 episodes so i can't even say "there's more bad than good". i think season 1 is way more uneven

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Season 2 is definitely where I started to notice that they'd have stretches of two or three episodes in a row that were very good. In Season 1 the good episodes were more the exception, I felt like I had to get through three or four episodes to get one that was good.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The Royale is one of the best episodes of anything, ever

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

There are only a few truly unwatchable episodes of TNG's second season:

- Pen Pals
- Manhunt
- The Icarus Factor
- Up the Long Ladder
- Unnatural Selection
- Shades of Gray

And I'm sure there are one or two that I'm missing, but from memory everything is "fine" at worst and excellent at best.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Yea I really thought that the space irish one was season 1.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'd agree with that list with some amendments. I like Pen Pals just because it makes Picard lose his loving mind over how much Data hosed the PD. As far as bad ones, or lesser ones anyway, I don't love The Royale, and the Dauphin is an obnoxious teen romance feat. the Salt Vampires from TOS.

But even episodes I remembered hating, like The Outrageous Okona, I warmed to and others, like Elementary Dear Data, I was able to appreciate things that I didn't when I was a kid - like Daniel Davis' masterpiece of a performance as a character come to life. I loved how he deduced and ultimately understood his being, his environment, and his role and his acceptance of it. That certainly didn't resonate with me as strongly when I was 12 or w/e.

Biggest problem with s2 is they are still using those garbage unis.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Unnatural Selection? No, I don't agree with that one. It's not a great episode but it's hardly unwatchable. Nor do I agree with Pen Pals, though TNG's interpretation of the Prime Directive always sucked poo poo.

I'd amend that list to toss both of them and add The Dauphin and The Icarus Factor. Both are two of the most boring, nothing episodes of TNG's entire run.

e: Reading comprehension.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 21:19 on May 26, 2023

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I'd amend that list to toss both of them and add The Dauphin and The Icarus Factor. Both are two of the most boring, nothing episodes of TNG's entire run.

I already had The Icarus Factor on my list. :eng101:

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

The Royale is fun but it feels more like Twilight Zone than Star Trek imo

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

zoux posted:

I'd agree with that list with some amendments. I like Pen Pals just because it makes Picard lose his loving mind over how much Data hosed the PD. As far as bad ones, or lesser ones anyway, I don't love The Royale, and the Dauphin is an obnoxious teen romance feat. the Salt Vampires from TOS.

But even episodes I remembered hating, like The Outrageous Okona, I warmed to and others, like Elementary Dear Data, I was able to appreciate things that I didn't when I was a kid - like Daniel Davis' masterpiece of a performance as a character come to life. I loved how he deduced and ultimately understood his being, his environment, and his role and his acceptance of it. That certainly didn't resonate with me as strongly when I was 12 or w/e.

Biggest problem with s2 is they are still using those garbage unis.

Pen Pals suffers badly from the nigh-sociopathic character behavior that comes from the early treatment of Prime Directive stuff, though.

Edit: Which then pop up again in full force later with Homeward. gently caress that episode.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 21:24 on May 26, 2023

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I like the sentiment here, so I'm not calling Sean out, but I wanted to ask our non-genderconforming friends if you see gender issues as presented in the Trill are analogous to the issues that transgender people have to deal with. I think in terms of acceptance it is, Koloth, Kor, and Kang don't care (woke Klingons!) and Sisko is enthusiastic about meeting Jadzia, gender is never an issue besides him calling Dax "old man" playfully. It's never an issue that Lenara Kahn was within a woman's body instead of a man's, I don't know if it's even alluded to.

Basically I just wanna know if transgender star trek fans feel repped by Dax? It's a completely fictional set up that dodges a lot of the problems that transgender folks face because they don't live in a society that unconditionally accepts that gender isn't set, so does that get in the way?

zoux fucked around with this message at 21:28 on May 26, 2023

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Unnatural Selection is awful because it treats Pulaski's luditism as a good thing. And trying to make Bones Mk II was a poor play on their part.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Basebf555 posted:

Season 2 is definitely where I started to notice that they'd have stretches of two or three episodes in a row that were very good. In Season 1 the good episodes were more the exception, I felt like I had to get through three or four episodes to get one that was good.

yeah contagion/the royale/time squared is a really solid block that's great for bedtime viewing

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Unnatural Selection? No, I don't agree with that one. It's not a great episode but it's hardly unwatchable.

i like it well enough too, just not enough to go on my list of stuff i'd watch on heavy rotation. i guess it's a bit too similar to "the deadly years" but i don't really have any specific complaints about it beyond the resolution (using a hair with the transporter to mash a reset button is a bit meh)

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Beeftweeter posted:

i like it well enough too, just not enough to go on my list of stuff i'd watch on heavy rotation. i guess it's a bit too similar to "the deadly years" but i don't really have any specific complaints about it beyond the resolution (using a hair with the transporter to mash a reset button is a bit meh)

Same. There's a distinction between 'unwatchable, embarrassing garbage' like And The Children Shall Lead or The Way to Eden or Code of Honor, and then there's 'fine, but not something I'd sit down to watch' like Unnatural Selection.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 22:07 on May 26, 2023

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Unnatural selection is "mid"

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

CainFortea posted:

Unnatural Selection is awful because it treats Pulaski's luditism as a good thing. And trying to make Bones Mk II was a poor play on their part.

that kinda goes back to what i was saying before, with it seeming as if it were following the "TOS, but with a different cast" formula. pulaski is basically a genderswapped bones and data is quite obviously a spock stand-in. beyond those two in particular the rest of the cast get analogues too but it's less obvious beyond their normal rank/roles

it works to a point. there are (okay, more than) a few times where pulaski's android hate just seems completely unwarranted and mean, but... you could say the same thing about bones' attitude towards spock. some of their interactions are really pretty mean-spirited, even if you can tell they ultimately respect each other at the end of the day

to me, whether or not that dynamic really translates isn't really the issue, it's more that spock was always pretty quick to defend himself to mccoy; it comes across as completely different. he'd usually respond with either a pithy comment about humans in general or something denigrating about mccoy in particular. in contrast, data doesn't do that — unlike spock, he (supposedly) truly doesn't have emotions and regardless wouldn't deliberately try to insult someone anyway. it makes each encounter with pulaski seem less fair, but it's in essence the same dynamic. them ultimately respecting each other is there too, there's just far less emphasis on it than the conflict (and the rest of the cast always getting along probably serves to accentuate that unintentionally)

i know that's not going to convince anyone that pulaski is actually good or that making her into bones was the right choice, but i at least see what they were going for

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 22:25 on May 26, 2023

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I think everyone understands what they were going for, the only question is if people think it worked, it sucked, or worked well enough to ignore it.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

CainFortea posted:

I think everyone understands what they were going for, the only question is if people think it worked, it sucked, or worked well enough to ignore it.

yeah. personally i think it works. we see things from a more omniscient viewpoint than the rest of the crew, and also have the benefit of seeing data perform his role pretty well during the first season (even if there are some anachronisms where he seems like he has emotion, or uses a contraction, etc.). to us, having pulaski question his capabilities or capacity to do his duty seems ridiculous, and we almost always have some member of the command crew backing data up anyway — picard tells pulaski that "he knows exactly what he's doing" etc.

but really, i could see some humans that had never served with an android questioning whether or not they were as capable as claimed — things usually aren't (see the recent AI craze, for example). her taking this position as the CMO makes sense too, since she'd probably be pretty interested in how the crew is performing, whether or not data can be used in situations dangerous to biological beings, stuff like that. she'd also necessarily need to know what he's not capable of

of course, by the end of the season she's still questioning his fallibility to the point that it causes data a crisis of confidence, though, but i feel like we wouldn't have ever gotten to that point without pulaski growing a bit to respect data. part of the reason she pushes him to play strategema is because she seems to truly believe he can win. of course it also backfires, but i don't think that was really her fault or intention

though yeah it does seem very mean spirited at times. i think part of that is because of the emphasis on eliminating intrapersonal conflict within the crew (for the rest of the cast), though. when there's no conflict anywhere but there, of course it's going to seem weird

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It was dumb to have the new character call the fan favorite the wrong name, "it", and get into beefs with him. That's just not going to create a character the audience wants to see. We all love Data, leave him alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

the back and forth with spock and mccoy comes across as friendly bantering
since data doesn't do any of the 'forth', pulaski comes across as bullying instead