Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

The Kingfish posted:

who the gently caress is eligible for food stamps, not disabled, not homeless, doesn’t have kids, and is working less twenty hours a week? get a job.

why do you have an animal rights gangtag, when you should really have a human rights (joe biden) gangtag?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
i do appreciate a few of the scumbags that do acknowledge that freezes are cuts but then argue its good anyway because the republicans would just cut them even more in 2024 and 2025

its 2023 and they're already implicitly conceding that the republicans in 2024 will win congress at least

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

The Kingfish posted:

who the gently caress is eligible for food stamps, not disabled, not homeless, doesn’t have kids, and is working less twenty hours a week? get a job.

such low effort poo poo stirring, is this the new American work ethic? pathetic

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i do appreciate a few of the scumbags that do acknowledge that freezes are cuts but then argue its good anyway because the republicans would just cut them even more in 2024 and 2025

its 2023 and they're already implicitly conceding that the republicans in 2024 will win congress at least

Republicans will win because the Dems don't have the balls to go after trans people.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

no lube so what posted:

If almost 53 year old Antonio Inoki could take a plastering from Big Van Vader for ~14 minutes, your average 'Murican should bootstraps themselves as well!

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

no lube so what posted:

just pointing out that garments are being rent itt over a demographic that basically doesn’t exist.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Willa Rogers posted:

I've stated at least a half-dozen times that these instances are bc of our hosed-up country & its inequitable taxation, and that people are forced to resort to undeclared income in order to survive.

I'm not blameshifting; I'm pointing out the facile (and privileged) lib tropes that ignore economic realities in this shithole of a country.

I could (and have) very well turned around & called out the blameshifting that comes with libs thinking that socioeconomic inequalities will be solved by hiring more money cops bc passing laws that are more equitable makes their donors cry.

the question isn't "are there better policy options than increasing the IRS enforcement budget" but rather "is increasing the IRS enforcement budget good / is cutting the IRS enforcement budget bad" and I'm genuinely confused why you're arguing the former point...

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

The Kingfish posted:

just pointing out that garments are being rent itt over a demographic that basically doesn’t exist.

The next step is to put the disabled in workhouses counting screws or something, hth

one slice at a time

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
"A solid win for team blue."- a non-usa citizen excited for the latest developments in the usa

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

the question isn't "are there better policy options than increasing the IRS enforcement budget" but rather "is increasing the IRS enforcement budget good / is cutting the IRS enforcement budget bad" and I'm genuinely confused why you're arguing the former point...

Given that IRS leadership has basically said correspondence audits of AOTC, EITC, etc. is 'free money' while formal audits is not, unless you're going to attach specifically requirements such as cutting AOTC, EITC, etc. audits and requiring increases in office/field audits of big companies/high net wealth individuals, it's a :jerkbag: action; hth.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The next step is to put the disabled in workhouses counting screws or something, hth

one slice at a time

federally sponsored work programs for disabled persons and those who cannot otherwise find employment?? don’t threaten me with a good time.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

The Kingfish posted:

Rated: True in the near future thanks to friend Famine.

Apr 7, 2003

Within this decade a bill will be signed into law requiring work minimums for any sort of medical or food assistance, period, and the president who signs that bill into law will talk about how it's actually about the dignity and meaning that work brings into the lives of the unfortunate.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Looking over the bill I don't think anything has really meaningfully changed other than Manchin's new pipeline, things are just going to keep on becoming slightly worse everyday, so same as usual. Democrats are trumpeting it as a victory, sure, whatever, they'll trumpet anything as a victory.

A default wasn't going to be allowed to happen no matter how hard they postured.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

The Kingfish posted:

dreadful bit. stfu

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The rightoids are furious that McCarthy effectively caved on like 95% of their demands so we might get a comedy scenario where McCarthy is stuck in another groundhog-day loop of perpetual Speaker elections.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Glenn and Lula are right about sanctions and the dollar.
https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1663228911445065744?t=Pd7ZS8Ev8-4SxbXqkhk_NA&s=19
https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1663230966154903579?t=UQnERHSoefHmBTbV6TnmYg&s=19

Brick rises
https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1663224990785847317?t=Ng6gS5AbWqFeZFWl5PqKRA&s=19

Mr Hootington has issued a correction as of 18:16 on May 29, 2023

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
:letsgo: :letsgo:

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Spot the talking points when you see them in the wild.

quote:

Top administration officials began fanning out late Saturday evening and all through Sunday to sell the deal, which would suspend the debt ceiling through January of 2025, limit federal spending through the same period, and make changes to government social welfare programs.

The calls with stakeholders and lawmakers were generally positive, according to three people familiar with the overall feedback and who spoke on condition of anonymity to describe private conversations.

“It protects the historic economic gains we’ve made, really allowing one of the strongest recoveries on record to continue by taking the threat of default off the table into 2025, it protects a set of historic legislative accomplishments that this president has had over the last two and a half years,” a White House official told reporters on a briefing call Sunday. “And it beats back a set of extreme demands” in the House GOP debt limit bill.

According to a senior administration official granted anonymity to describe the lobbying strategy, the argument being made to Democrats to vote for the bill has focused on how Medicare, Social Security, Medicaid, the Inflation Reduction Act, CHIPS and other programs are “all being preserved and funded” under the agreement. This is, the official added, “basically what would have happened in a standard budget negotiation with a GOP House later this year. A good outcome, consistent with past bipartisan budget agreements.”

Democratic House members and their chiefs of staff were issued toplines and talking points within moments of the preliminary deal’s announcement Saturday night, according to two White House and Hill officials who spoke on condition their names not be used.

The Biden administration noted to progressives that the deal’s new work requirements in social safety net programs had a sunset provision to ensure they don’t become permanent policy. They also were told that the new work requirements for people in their 50s — which Republicans wanted — were countered by Democrats’ demands to exclude all veterans and homeless people from the conditions.

“We expect that the number of people subjected to SNAP work requirements will stay roughly the same under this agreement,” a White House official said.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

BRIVCS

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

VBRICS

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

we should all have a snap card and arguing for anything less you can just go gently caress yourself the end.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
its time for Venezuela to hit da brics

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
I stopped at "economic gains".

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

a bit like how the minimum wage will never ever be increased in dollar terms, the federal budget should never be increased in dollar terms so in 50 years it’s been effectively reduced to -99%

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/FrankCappelleri/status/1663206165235261441?t=Ri8RwtIhD4G60c00rU7e0Q&s=19

https://twitter.com/bbh/status/1663002721459359745?t=emqY6LEomPPKdOvEcNdTkw&s=19

BornAPoorBlkChild has issued a correction as of 19:15 on May 29, 2023

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

C-spam has really corrupted corrected my brain, because reading other parts of the site defending this shitpile of legislation, just... crack:ping.

Apr 7, 2003

SourKraut posted:

C-spam has really corrupted corrected my brain, because reading other parts of the site defending this shitpile of legislation, just... crack:ping.

The media has spent a long time divorcing cause from effect and everything happens in a vacuum now in American life. Blue team won here, that's all, and this event has no meaning beyond that to much of the electorate.

Apr 7, 2003

At some point Joe Q. Shitlib might stop and think "wow, things are so much worse than they were when I was a kid", but they'll blame it on the Orange Bad Man or his spiritual successor and that will be the end of any thought about how we got here.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The media has spent a long time divorcing cause from effect and everything happens in a vacuum now in American life. Blue team won here, that's all, and this event has no meaning beyond that to much of the electorate.

I don't even see how this is a "win" tbh.

Apr 7, 2003

Joe said it was, and that's all that matters

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

The Kingfish posted:

the bums lost.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Frosted Flake posted:

I don't even see how this is a "win" tbh.

It'll be pretty funny if Boebert and the other Freedom Caucus folks ratfuck McCarthy, Biden and the Kabuki/Kayfabe Krew by forcing a leadership spill that prevents the poo poo sandwich from going through.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Jel Shaker posted:

a bit like how the minimum wage will never ever be increased in dollar terms, the federal budget should never be increased in dollar terms so in 50 years it’s been effectively reduced to -99%

Now we are finally prepared for WW3.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

poor people will die, making it a win for the policy and owner classes

blue man's PR machine said it was good

imagine red men wailing and gnashing teeth, so good right?

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Horseshoe theory posted:

It'll be pretty funny if Boebert and the other Freedom Caucus folks ratfuck McCarthy, Biden and the Kabuki/Kayfabe Krew by forcing a leadership spill that prevents the poo poo sandwich from going through.

a default under biden would own but are they committed enough for economic collapse? :thunk:

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

The Kingfish posted:

lazy troll but a good reason to post this very important disclaimer about new means-tests

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
i also know several people who fall in the category because there's a few thousand miles between being disabled in the sense of not being able to get or hold a job and disabled in the sense of having had the resources, time and lawyers to go through the process

there are more than ever thanks to covid

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Americans talking about other Americans: “Take their food away.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Demon_Corsair posted:

since when the gently caress does PBR come in bottles?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHL5F9i6mpY