Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Homeless Friend posted:

lol at this story being repeated 1000 times until AI hype dies

Is literally a race between the hype machine and fallout that's damaging enough to put an end to the whole thing. And right behind them are lawsuits forcing them to rush ahead as fast as possible with zero concern for the consequences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Penisaurus Sex posted:

He also hated the American transcendentalists so maybe I cut him extra slack.

:hmmyes:

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

FlapYoJacks posted:

Yeah, the succzone is full of people angry at D&D for harboring rape apologists and people who fantasize about swimming naked in front of subordinates right now. Don't go there.

100% accurate

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

https://twitter.com/eleanor_mueller/status/1664025554763276288

Art of the Deal! :smugdon:

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

SNAP work requirements increased 1 year higher cuz nobody wants to work anymore

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

uh oh joe

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

https://reddit.com/r/apolloapp/comments/13ws4w3/had_a_call_with_reddit_to_discuss_pricing_bad/

was this posted yet because holy gently caress

quote:

Hey all,

I’ll cut to the chase: 50 million requests costs $12,000, a figure far more than I ever could have imagined.

Apollo made 7 billion requests last month, which would put it at about 1.7 million dollars per month, or 20 million US dollars per year. Even if I only kept subscription users, the average Apollo user uses 344 requests per day, which would cost $2.50 per month, which is over double what the subscription currently costs, so I’d be in the red every month.

I’m deeply disappointed in this price. Reddit iterated that the price would be A) reasonable and based in reality, and B) they would not operate like Twitter. Twitter’s pricing was publicly ridiculed for its obscene price of $42,000 for 50 million tweets. Reddit’s is still $12,000. For reference, I pay Imgur (a site similar to Reddit in user base and media) $166 for the same 50 million API calls.

As for the pricing, despite claims that it would be based in reality, it seems anything but. Less than 2 years ago they said they crossed $100M in quarterly revenue for the first time ever, if we assume despite the economic downturn that they’ve managed to do that every single quarter now, and for your best quarter, you’ve doubled it to $200M. Let’s also be generous and go far, far above industry estimates and say you made another $50M in Reddit Premium subscriptions. That’s $550M in revenue per year, let’s say an even $600M. In 2019, they said they hit 430 million monthly active users, and to also be generous, let’s say they haven’t added a single active user since then (if we do revenue-per-user calculations, the more users, the less revenue each user would contribute). So at generous estimates of $600M and 430M monthly active users, that’s $1.40 per user per year, or $0.12 monthly. These own numbers they’ve given are also seemingly inline with industry estimates as well.

For Apollo, the average user uses 344 requests daily, or 10.6K monthly. With the proposed API pricing, the average user in Apollo would cost $2.50, which is is 20x higher than a generous estimate of what each users brings Reddit in revenue.

While Reddit has been communicative and civil throughout this process with half a dozen phone calls back and forth that I thought went really well, I don’t see how this pricing is anything based in reality or remotely reasonable. I hope it goes without saying that I don’t have that kind of money or would even know how to charge it to a credit card.

This is going to require some thinking. I asked Reddit if they were flexible on this pricing or not, and they stated that it’s their understanding that no, this will be the pricing, and I’m free to post the details of the call if I wish.

- Christian

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
this is is for api calls, right?

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

yeah

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
perhaps Jeffrey of yospos can use this opportunity to grow the forums

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

this is is for api calls, right?

This is basically matching Twitter and now FBs pricing. No one is talking about this: corporate social is dead as we know it. Owned channels like bots are the future for them

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
Smm is basically dead as a concept

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

anime was right posted:

No one is talking about this: corporate social is dead as we know it.

Good.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

web forums, like jncos, are cool again

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/DavidSacks/status/1663958149437743105?t=e6iJxzd2oMdIWXmpYFiuAg&s=19

David Sucks

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

neoliberal idiot posted:

WFH Friday is a 4 day work week. Full WFH is a 2 day work week.

I'm failing to see the problem here.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Paradoxish posted:

Is literally a race between the hype machine and fallout that's damaging enough to put an end to the whole thing. And right behind them are lawsuits forcing them to rush ahead as fast as possible with zero concern for the consequences.
asking the ceo to trial run their magic beans before firing every employee

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

bring back RSS feeds

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I'm failing to see the problem here.

This is no different from being in the office except you can do something useful around the house instead of having to pretend to work or forcing yourself to talk to your coworkers. nobody that does work on the computer works anywhere near a 40 hour week

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

reddit delenda est

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
Am I the only one working hours of overtime from home? I'm not bragging and I'm not complaining. I work in 3 hour bursts whenever I feel like it. All that matters is I make a certain amount of progress by 9am the next day. The flexibility and being free of my 1hr commute means I get things done when I'm most productive, nap when I'm tired, run errands if I need to.

But I'm a recently divorced nerd with every other week kid-free. I end up working a lot. Which I can do with a business laptop and a VPN connection.

the bitcoin of weed posted:

This is no different from being in the office except you can do something useful around the house instead of having to pretend to work or forcing yourself to talk to your coworkers. nobody that does work on the computer works anywhere near a 40 hour week

This and the goddamn commute.

anonumos has issued a correction as of 00:47 on Jun 1, 2023

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

anonumos posted:

Am I the only one working hours of overtime from home? I'm not bragging and I'm not complaining. I work in 3 hour bursts whenever I feel like it. All that matters is I make a certain amount of progress by 9am the next day. The flexibility and being free of my 1hr commute means I get things done when I'm most productive, nap when I'm tired, run errands if I need to.

But I'm a recently divorced nerd with every other week kid-free. I end up working a lot. Which I can do with a business casual collar job.
lmao if i could log overtime from home i'd be working "overtime" every fuckin day

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

woah, the managerial class feel like nothing's getting done if they're not swanning around an office yammering to each other about garbage? while inflating the workload of anyone beneath them with needless bullshit? wild

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

Nodelphi posted:

Good and interesting are so subjective. Better to stick to universally terrible works, like Faulkner.

faulkner is SO bad

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

anime was right posted:

This is basically matching Twitter and now FBs pricing. No one is talking about this: corporate social is dead as we know it. Owned channels like bots are the future for them

when do all these new pricing schedules kick in?

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

I worked data entry during my undergrad, Covid happens, they do a trial wfh with me as the guinea pig. Few hiccups cause of server outages, but my metrics shot up a bunch, got a bonus and an atta boy. Then lockdown ended and so did WFH. They never tried it again despite the company getting a bunch more work post lockdown. Who knows man.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Consolidated Ed posted:

faulkner is SO bad

wtf

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

ikanreed posted:

People who think early modern English is hard to understand baffle me.

Oh no, someone said loving "hath" I'm so confused!

i see you've never encountered 10,000 people all misunderstanding and misapplying "wherefore" in an attempt to seem fancy and learned

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Yeah but it's 12 year olds who have to figure this stuff out.

those be some pretty advanced kids if they're 12 in HS. I think they'll be able to figure it out

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I had Macbeth in 8th grade.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

Aurubin posted:

I worked data entry during my undergrad, Covid happens, they do a trial wfh with me as the guinea pig. Few hiccups cause of server outages, but my metrics shot up a bunch, got a bonus and an atta boy. Then lockdown ended and so did WFH. They never tried it again despite the company getting a bunch more work post lockdown. Who knows man.

quote:

in an all-hands, a senior manager asked what people's concerns were about coming back to the office.
My response was "yeah I've honestly way more productive and happier and more fulfilled working from home these last two years, and I'm afraid that's going to go away"

And then proceeds to say "we totally understand it's completely expected you'll be less productive when coming into the office," and then just moved to the next person.

I think I'm gonna have to use that as a top bullet point for my eventual exit interview because that's it I'm out.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

PerniciousKnid posted:

If by "on a tare" you mean the thread has reached level zero, you're right.

Lol nerd

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I had Macbeth in 8th grade.

yeah but we were talking HS. either way Shakespeare really isn't that hard and I read plenty of it in middle school too

wait wtf even a 12yr old in 8th grade would require skipping at least a year probably two. were you in some kind of accelerated program?

I R SMART LIKE ROCK has issued a correction as of 01:09 on Jun 1, 2023

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/jasonfurman/status/1664054364867108865?t=ZcQGEhhjLt5II29UVmAelA&s=19
https://twitter.com/jasonfurman/status/1664054370638475264?t=RK_lCpDcY6FyPg2HDzdFow&s=19
https://twitter.com/jasonfurman/status/1664055288847126528?t=zUaVQ9VWFOq9rCrBJITEDQ&s=19
https://twitter.com/jasonfurman/status/1664060026179182593?t=1rb_Ft_vi0r9uJjVV0NCZQ&s=19

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea
Managers see zero difference between "actual productive business work" and "telling me bullshit stories about their kids soccer games", considering they have no captive audience to bore people with the latter any excuse was needed to get people back in the office.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

I hate this rear end in a top hat, he’s mad wfh means more people spending time with their families and less time in traffic like the rich do

This idiot does jack poo poo for his money

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Pf. Hikikomoriarty posted:

when do all these new pricing schedules kick in?

depends on the types of contracts but if you're licensing their APIs for like a year, then it usually hits during a renewal. i dont know how most companies operate, but ive definitely seen both types of contracts where it just suddenly shoots up vs having a yearly/biyearly agreement

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I work more with wfh because I’m Better rested and motivated

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

yeah but we were talking HS. either way Shakespeare really isn't that hard and I read plenty of it in middle school too

wait wtf even a 12yr old in 8th grade would require skipping at least a year probably two. were you in some kind of accelerated program?

the elitist intelligentsia strikes again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

anime was right posted:

depends on the types of contracts but if you're licensing their APIs for like a year, then it usually hits during a renewal. i dont know how most companies operate, but ive definitely seen both types of contracts where it just suddenly shoots up vs having a yearly/biyearly agreement

thx