Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
it is crazy that prices are still insane, and people are still offering 20%+ over asking price. the only thing that seems different is they aren’t pricing low to entice insane bidding wars to go way over what it should be, and tend to be priced closer to “real” value

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
i have it on good authority from my local mortgage broker that I’m “stupid for not owning”

many sides

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Xaris posted:

it is crazy that prices are still insane, and people are still offering 20%+ over asking price. the only thing that seems different is they aren’t pricing low to entice insane bidding wars and tend to be closer to “real” value

the people are realtor companies and renter companies

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Popoto posted:

lol that america will have to choose between a dementia riddled codger and a diaper wearing one

healthy leadership in a period of unprecedented worldwide crisis

Well if you don't like Biden you can vote in the primary.... oh wait. Well, you can vote for the fascist I guess.

Great democracy :v:

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Vox Nihili posted:

Congrats on keeping up with inflation

lmao

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/skynet-watch-an-ai-drone-attacked-the-operator-in-the-simulation/

I wonder what corporate AI is going to do when the executives want to sabotage their own company's productive capacities by doing things inefficiently on purpose (end of WFH) or laying off the people who actually do the work so they can get a bonus.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Vox Nihili posted:

Yeah I have been thinking for years that the legal approach to unionization in the US is rapidly approaching a dead end. The framework is just too expensive, slow, and favors the employer too much. This concrete thing pretty much solidified it.
This is not an accurate understanding of the Glacier decision; the decision is about this exact case, and doesn't go much further. however, the open invitation by Roberts to re-examine the main issues here is ... spooky

and you're not wrong about how hard it is here in the US. but this doesn't make it harder. yet.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

skooma512 posted:

https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/skynet-watch-an-ai-drone-attacked-the-operator-in-the-simulation/

I wonder what corporate AI is going to do when the executives want to sabotage their own company's productive capacities by doing things inefficiently on purpose (end of WFH) or laying off the people who actually do the work so they can get a bonus.

start talking about this asap so ai dies overnight

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

skooma512 posted:

turn into shodan hopefully

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

i am harry posted:

turn into shodan hopefully

Help me understand this "leveraged buyout" you're planning on doing

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
It's cool that housing is becoming even more unaffordable due to apps and AI

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

people are going to be locked into their house which isn’t great for labor mobility

but maybe that doesn’t matter anymore

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Mr Hootington posted:

It's cool that housing is becoming even more unaffordable due to apps and AI

that's why i'm all in with my 401k on REDFIN baby

investing in AI real estate apps to buy real estate

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Xaris posted:

lol a house right next to my apartment building listed for 1.8m and just sold 3 days later for 2.1mlion.

bought for 400k in 2003

Glad to see house prices going down now that interest rates are up, as we were assured would happen.

Randabis
Apr 2, 2005

What I'm satirically reading here is you have the potential to sue your base level assistant manager/shift lead x amount of doll hairs if they forgot to filter the fryer on their last shift.

LMAO

Apr 7, 2003

euphronius posted:

people are going to be locked into their house which isn’t great for labor mobility

It’s already happening, there’s no inventory here because of it and that’s why you can sell your row house with a roof last replaced in 1982 that’s two blocks from a bus stop where a mass shooting happened for $400k

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
lol over $12,000 for a mortgage, tho i'm guessing at 2.1mil it's probably a full-cash offer.

the fancy Compass real estate people did a 'real nice' job staging the inside with flipper white furniture and extremely Pier 1/World Market-rear end white doodads n wicker baskets

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

euphronius posted:

This is 100% gonna be a thing. Partner and I could easily leave our current spot for a pretty big salary bump but almost all of that would be wiped out by inflated housing costs in the areas we are interested in and higher interest.

It's not too bad at least though, we have decent jobs and great coworkers now (but lovely bosses) and love the house we have. We can still get into other positions but commuting is far more of a hassle. At least some ability to WfH for a couple days a week so again not bad but partner and I are basically on the really good/privileged side of things and we have very few options. Can only imagine how poo poo it is for others now.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

RealityWarCriminal posted:

does anyone remember that story a few months ago about some health professionals choosing to take jobs at another hospital and a court ruled they cant

My dude, that wasn't months ago. That was years ago, during the first year of COVID.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

mycomancy posted:

My dude, that wasn't months ago. That was years ago, during the first year of COVID.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/24/us/thedacare-lawsuit-wisconsin.html

Randabis
Apr 2, 2005

invest in corn/semi-corn oil. I'm gonna make a whole industry on the backs of non correctly filtered commercial fryer machines...

LMAO 🤣

e: oops we already had that... Concerning...

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
I got several HVAC quotes and was able to talk one installer down about $1k and he had availability for next week which is rare.The market for hosuing equipment seems to be softening, also heard from a friend who’s a sales manager for a large window manufacturer said they’ve seen their sales drop by half with larger orders being cancelled.

Maybe if I waited I could get a cheaper install for a furnace and ac but I’m tired of waiting and I want to get in before the next heat wave. No guarantee it would get cheaper anyway since they keep raising prices on the equipment.

Apr 7, 2003

Glumwheels posted:

I got several HVAC quotes and was able to talk one installer down about $1k and he had availability for next week which is rare.The market for hosuing equipment seems to be softening, also heard from a friend who’s a sales manager for a large window manufacturer said they’ve seen their sales drop by half with larger orders being cancelled.

Maybe if I waited I could get a cheaper install for a furnace and ac but I’m tired of waiting and I want to get in before the next heat wave. No guarantee it would get cheaper anyway since they keep raising prices on the equipment.

I have to fix a hole in a gutter and the resulting wood damage and that's going to cost me over $1k

The old thing about buying a fixer-upper when you're broke / young no longer applies because you can't afford the materials + labor a fixer-upper needs.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

This is not an accurate understanding of the Glacier decision; the decision is about this exact case, and doesn't go much further. however, the open invitation by Roberts to re-examine the main issues here is ... spooky

and you're not wrong about how hard it is here in the US. but this doesn't make it harder. yet.

It's another building block in the inexorable, long-term, accelerating project of making strike activity effectively illegal. This legal project is already far enough along that the end point is clear to everyone, and there is no effective resistance to it. It'll be done in the next ten or so years. But it's already far enough along that most unions are advised to almost never actually strike, sapping their power.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Anyway getting out of the NLRA framework and directly into court is huge for employers. In time employers will be able to sue unions directly for cash damages for strikes but any labor claims from the unions will have to go through the NLRA process.

Apr 7, 2003

Vox Nihili posted:

It's another building block in the inexorable, long-term, accelerating project of making strike activity effectively illegal.

Randabis
Apr 2, 2005

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I have to fix a hole in a gutter and the resulting wood damage and that's going to cost me over $1k

The old thing about buying a fixer-upper when you're broke / young no longer applies because you can't afford the materials + labor a fixer-upper needs.
imstupid.jpg

That was hard to even post and Google still yellowy me about it. lol 😂

Apr 7, 2003

😂 😂 😂

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Xaris posted:

lol inflation isn't g oing down because its driven by corpos raising profits to squeeze increasing profit with decreasing volume, and increased rent-seeking with tendency for rate of profit to fall

not monetary policy

yeah the war in ukraine set off a chain reaction of energy market realignment and dedollarization at a time when profits were already propped up by the money printer. we’re all witnessing the america going out of business
sale

Randabis
Apr 2, 2005

That's Crapatalism!

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Vox Nihili posted:

It's another building block in the inexorable, long-term, accelerating project of making strike activity effectively illegal. This legal project is already far enough along that the end point is clear to everyone, and there is no effective resistance to it. It'll be done in the next ten or so years. But it's already far enough along that most unions are advised to almost never actually strike, sapping their power.

Harlan County 2.0, now with AI!

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

FizFashizzle posted:

At his age, life expectancy is less than six months after a fall with broken hip.

I don’t think he broke his hip there, but just, you know, something to think about.

It would be very funny. President Kamala, wow!

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/unusual_whales/status/1664399171749662720?s=20

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
lol

didn't mark fuckerberg do some big pandemic hoo-rah about perma wfh forever? i'm guessing it's just another way to do an employee culling without having to do WARN and pay severance.

i know a lot of goons think rto is all middle-management or real estate goop, but i actually think the big reason of rto is a way to do layoffs without laying off officially. it's smart actually. how well it works is tbd since tech is making GBS threads itself and no one is gunna quit right now but i'm guessing there's at least some that moved away and won't be returning so they'll file their 2-week-notice with this, and then probably be unemployed.

anyways it's great traffic is even worse than pre-pandemic, fortunately with my new job i never have to cross the bay bridge ever again

Xaris has issued a correction as of 01:42 on Jun 2, 2023

Randabis
Apr 2, 2005

THREE WHOLE DAYs LMFAO

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

skooma512 posted:

I'm convinced the only reason public education hasn't been abolished already is because it houses football programs.

it's crazy realizing that if public libraries didn't exist as a concept in the US until now, they'd never, ever get created in today's climate. i'm honestly astonished that chud states haven't completely shut them all down and fired every worker (i know some are trying).

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

skooma512 posted:

Master control program from Tron.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

One of the big selling points of his stupid loving "metaverse" is being able to meet in cyberspace rather than in person, but I guess a sociopath like Zuck gets off on the power trip of forcing his slaves valued employees to come back to the office so he can lord it over them.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Consolidated Ed posted:

it's crazy realizing that if public libraries didn't exist as a concept in the US until now, they'd never, ever get created in today's climate. i'm honestly astonished that chud states haven't completely shut them all down and fired every worker (i know some are trying).

In a lot of rural areas the library also doubles as a civic center, a place to do medical outreach, emergency shelter, food drives, government facilities etc.

This is just from my experience in Tennessee but we would do rural health clinics and things in them.

Now the libraries aren’t great or anything and I’m sure there aren’t any books in there that would be considered objectionable but they do exist. In many cases they were built during the Great Depression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The prices for hvac equipment has gone up 10-20% over the pandemic. Should have done this work when we moved in but I was dumb.