Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

i have a credit onion and my bank has all those things just fine. idk what they're talking about.

the only bad thing is it used to let you make free custom credit cards with any image file but they got rid of that several years ago when chip came out. then again no big bank lets you do that either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
the other bad thing about credit unions is they're savings rate is still like 0.002%. i ended up moving majority of my account to fed market since at least fed interest rates at like 5%.

the main reason to go with a credit union is better customer service, abolishing ATM fees, better auto loans, etc.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Sorry, if someone publicly complains that their card has to be swiped instead of tapped I can't take anything else about them seriously

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Xaris posted:

the other bad thing about credit unions is they're savings rate is still like 0.002%. i ended up moving majority of my account to fed market since at least fed interest rates at like 5%.

the main reason to go with a credit union is better customer service, abolishing ATM fees, better auto loans, etc.

I just use a CU for everything but interest yielding places to park cash, they hosed up and offered a 2.375% mortgage last year. Credit Unions rock, even if ours probably lost a ton of notional income on me lol

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Doesn't bofa charge money monthly just for having a checking account.

🤡

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

err posted:

Doesn't bofa charge money monthly just for having a checking account.

🤡

that is correct, if you have under $1500 in your account you're charged $15/month.

honestly i have no idea why anyone would use bofa or wells fargo, they're the absolute worst banks of all time and oops scams all the way. i'd rather at least use chase if i had to go for a mega-bank.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Xaris posted:

that is correct, if you have under $1500 in your account you're charged $15/month.

honestly i have no idea why anyone would use bofa or wells fargo, they're the absolute worst banks of all time and oops scams all the way. i'd rather at least use chase if i had to go for a mega-bank.

i like it when my bank has to pay fines for not paying fines for stealing customers money and lying constantly and not changing a thing so they have to pay more fines for that because the fines are less than the profit than stealing and lying so gently caress it

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

SKULL.GIF posted:

Trial run for the rest of the country.

https://twitter.com/RedistrictNet/status/1665054036637233154

Soon they will get votes proportional to how many employees they have on payroll.

it costs like $90 to register an LLC in Delaware.

quote:

This bill would allow the City of Seaford to authorize artificial entities, limited liability corporations' partnerships, and trusts to vote in Municipal elections held in Seaford following the principle of "one person/entity/one vote".
so you can tip the scales enough to win a mayoral election for under $10,000. lol

Letter to the Editor: More voters for Seaford doesn’t mean more are voting (2022)

baytobaynews.com posted:

Seaford needs to increase very poor municipal elections’ voter turnout. As previously emphasized, thanks to the actions of the mayor and City Council, the number of registered voters for Seaford elections jumped dramatically by approximately 3,500 from 2020 to 2022.
However, the increased number of registered voters did not result in more voters. Only about 600 voters showed up for both elections.

There were 594 voters who determined the outcome of the 2020 election for mayor, with the winner garnering 47 votes more than his opponent. For some, especially those retaining power, the 2020 municipal election was likely deemed a “success.”

However, when such “success” is measured against the number of citizens who could/should have been eligible to vote if the Delaware registration system had been in use, the 2020 election was a virtual disaster. Only a pitiful 11.9% of the approximately 5,000 potentially eligible to vote in Seaford went to the polls in May 2020.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/murderxbryan/status/1665097849984409600?t=VRohK0YVAVgfyQ0dRVwHXQ&s=19

I was around when this was frequent advice to goons and lmao

Anyway I'm outside and phone posting but I can speak GURPS and I will contribute later if we haven't moved by then

he's right, credit unions are loving garbage and worshipping them is just more small business wankery

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Jel Shaker posted:

at least marianne Antoinette suggested the poor should be able to eat

See the funny thing about this story is that Marie Antoinette did not use the word 'gateau', she used the word 'brioche'. And she said this because the French had a rule at the time that said that if a bakery ran out of normal bread, they had to sell their brioche at the standard price.

Which is to say, even the regime most famous for wealth inequality had a rule prevented retailers from creating false supply issues to increase revenue.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
everything is a scam. nothing you do matters even the slightest. the only reason to participate in society is to prevent random violence from befalling you and ensuring access to food and shelter and medical care, and even that isn't guaranteed or even likely. just because things seem to have not collapsed yet doesn't mean they aren't about to, and when they do no one gives a poo poo about what a number some imploded inaccessible computer system has about you. do whatever you want. there's not much time left

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

i am harry posted:

it also stole a big chunk of its video footage that plays when you get a world wonder built from a movie called Baraka

Yeah blew my mind way later when an arty friend showed me baraka in college. drat smac (and baraka i guess) owned

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Xaris posted:

i have a credit onion and my bank has all those things just fine. idk what they're talking about.

the only bad thing is it used to let you make free custom credit cards with any image file but they got rid of that several years ago when chip came out. then again no big bank lets you do that either

this motherfucker just said credit onion

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Xaris posted:

credit onion

Thread title

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Knight posted:

Sorry, if someone publicly complains that their card has to be swiped instead of tapped I can't take anything else about them seriously

i had my card cloned like six times when swiping was still a thing. after tap took over i haven't had to deal with fraud once.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Knight posted:

you put your card on your phone... wtf you even take out a card for???

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/BusinessInsider/status/1665277742160527362?s=20

quote:

An individual-size deep dish cheese and tomato pizza on Pizzeria Uno's site, for example, costs $12.49 for collection from its restaurant in Revere, Massachusetts, plus tax of $0.87.

To get the same thing delivered via Pizzeria Uno's website, which outsources it to DoorDash, the total is $22.98, including a $7.75 delivery fee.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Frosted Flake posted:

I don't know about Shadowrun, but I suppose GURPS would let you compare directly, since detailed AA guns and detailed dragons exist in the same rule system. The problem is, I have no idea how to read any of the rules:

Bear in mind, Firewings was able to solo a near future germany for a good while... even with how decrepit they are militarily, that is not some small feat.

https://davidgerard.co.uk/blockchain/2023/06/03/crypto-collapse-get-in-loser-were-pivoting-to-ai/

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I present the GURPS Unified Theory, uniting Doomsday Econ and TTRPGs

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

this motherfucker just said credit onion

Crying as I open an account

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I usually preorder my food by calling the restaurant directly and picking up food by myself. Works great and prices are still decent. Some chicken wings with fries and uh carrots/cucumber were 12,5€ yesterday. Pre-inflation it was 10€.

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

Shageletic posted:

Crying as I open an account

I don't get all the whining about credit unions. Its demonstrably a better business model, and most of the complaints boil down to "this is slightly inconvenient compared to my current experience of high fees and arbitrary decisions by a corporate behemoth!"

I have never banked in 22 years of adulting. Only credit unions.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
what about credit bunion and it's got hella rear end

UKJeff
May 17, 2023

by vyelkin

skybolt_1 posted:

I don't get all the whining about credit unions. Its demonstrably a better business model, and most of the complaints boil down to "this is slightly inconvenient compared to my current experience of high fees and arbitrary decisions by a corporate behemoth!"

U want a medal or something?

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Goa Tse-tung posted:

what about credit bunion and it's got hella rear end

Hell yeah credit uniussy

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

skybolt_1 posted:

Yeah for general checking it is fine, it is just a lot of them give terrible rates on savings/CDs and you probably should shop around. I know TD has 6 month CDs at 5.1-5.3%, which really isn't a bad return.

So I was bored recently, and I started watching some "spending/debt shaming" YouTube channels. You know how it goes, but one thing that struck me is that a lot of people weren't making such perhaps not financially defensible but not really insane decisions either, but that even some sloppiness with their accounting or some bad luck could get them in serious trouble, and it wasn't that easy to cut back on essentials at a certain point. I know SA likes those memes as well, but I wonder at this point if it is a bit of a crab bucket phenoma where we like to believe people in credit card debt are just frittering it all away when in reality, living in the US, even with a relatively decent income, is a high wire act. Not to mention, that everything in American society is about trying to get someone to make a poor decision at some point and then latch on to them. Making 80-60k used to be a lot, but if you take 2k-2.2k out of a month for rent, taxes, and maybe some forbidden Starbucks or whatever, it can go pretty quickly.

I personally think the whole delivery thing is nuts, but there is a reason that it has gotten so bad. On one hand, I would tell people just to cook their own food, but this whole thing isn't an accident either.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 14:41 on Jun 4, 2023

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

UKJeff posted:

U want a medal or something?

Looks like the UK isn't sending their best

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

If you use a credit union instead of Jamie Dimon ripping you off some guy in the gated community who knows the mayor rips you off

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Xaris posted:

This was the thing for me. I've made more in a high yield savings account this year than I ever did with the credit union I signed up for a decade ago. I still use the credit union for direct deposit and paying expenses, but all my savings get parked elsewhere.

re: delivery, we still do it as an indulgence a couple times a month... but yeah, between the higher menu prices for delivery, fees, and trying to give the driver a good tip to assuage the gig worker guilt it can cost as much or more tham a proper meal out used to pre-pandemic

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I said elsewhere that I think a lot of people with poor impulse control and low energy get a bit stuck into a cycle of 'press button, receive food' with delivery apps and lose track of how much it's actually costing them.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

i don't think making 60-80K has been "a lot" for a couple decades at this point

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
Can't believe people ITT think CUs are worse than banks now. I'm sure there's some small ones that suck or w/e, but mine is pretty good.

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

If credit unions and big banks are on the ballot I'm staying home

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I said elsewhere that I think a lot of people with poor impulse control and low energy get a bit stuck into a cycle of 'press button, receive food' with delivery apps and lose track of how much it's actually costing them.

Granted, isn't that how the system is supposed to work? You just get someone to make a mistake and then get on top of them. I don't do delivery, but it is clear exactly how abusive it is and I could see how someone could get caught in it and perhaps spend more than they really think.

Same for microtransactions, Starbucks, other random crap, companies know that everyone isn't going to be hold out and when they slip up, then the teeth come out.

cat botherer posted:

Can't believe people ITT think CUs are worse than banks now. I'm sure there's some small ones that suck or w/e, but mine is pretty good.

They can suck if you park more than a few k in them at a time. I think people get into a habit of trusting a CU and then not realizing that yeah they are getting fleeced in terms of yields on their money. Obviously, it isn't all CUs but I am surprised at how low rates are at a lot of them in Oregon.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 15:04 on Jun 4, 2023

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Frosted Flake posted:

I present the GURPS Unified Theory, uniting Doomsday Econ and TTRPGs
GURPS

where are you finding these snippits? did you find a trove of pdfs somewhere?

also you are mixing editions which may not be helping your system confusion

there is no way there aren't other, better pizza options in suburban boston. hell they are probably right there on doordash as well.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Knight posted:

“my card has security features THIS IS BULLSHIT WHERE THE gently caress IS THE NEAREST WELLS FARGO BRANCH PEOPLE SHOULD BE ABLE TO EXTRACT WEALTH FROM
ME SIMPLY BY BUMPING A BLUETOOTH CARD READER AGAINST MY BUTT WHEN IM IN PUBLIC THIS IS BULLSHIT”

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

shrike82 posted:

i don't think making 60-80K has been "a lot" for a couple decades at this point

but what you think is so incredibly skewed that it doesn’t really even merit a response

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
median personal income is 37.5k as of the most recent census data but sure 60-80k isn't a lot lmao

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Ammanas posted:

myth and myth 2 loving own, such well written and well designed (hard as gently caress) games. i can hear the audio in my head clear as day. "casualty"

where do i find these cool lore books. the ingame narrative reminds me of the black company books

Those games were so loving good

I love how they tracked your forces

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

atelier morgan posted:

median personal income is 37.5k as of the most recent census data but sure 60-80k isn't a lot lmao

Yeah, if people making 80-60k “don’t have a lot,” I wonder how everyone else is doing.