Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

1 was actively unfun to play (dunno if the re-release changed anything) but 2 was just so bland. What a shame!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

The Colonel posted:

from reading user reviews, it seems like they're a bit kinder to loop8 but even the one i read from a jp gunparade march fan shares the same universal issues people have with it and seems to admit that they're mostly giving the game a chance because it's been so long since there's been anything like it

the biggest bummer it sounds like is that most of the relationship stuff is just stat boosts and they don't recreate any of the weirder and deeper aspects of it that were in older games

there does appear to be some amount of additional things happening under the hood - demon sight occasionally shows people's recent activities as weird things with unclear meanings - but at least early on yeah there doesn't seem to be any actual goal to changing relationships beyond "talking to people repeatedly to get through their static dialogue and trigger a permanent stat up for them". even asking people to come with you doesn't appear to actually do anything beyond letting you change what screen they're on, they don't seem to join in training you do etc

It's entirely possible/assumed it'll get more complex when other actions/events unlock, but for now it does seem to be closer to a worse version of Gnosia's system which is unfortunate

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

The Colonel posted:

from reading user reviews, it seems like they're a bit kinder to loop8 but even the one i read from a jp gunparade march fan shares the same universal issues people have with it and seems to admit that they're mostly giving the game a chance because it's been so long since there's been anything like it

the biggest bummer it sounds like is that most of the relationship stuff is just stat boosts and they don't recreate any of the weirder and deeper aspects of it that were in older games

From playing it for like 4 hours or so, yeah unfortunately the game is uh feeling pretty barebones and lacking meaningful depth?

Like there’s sorta interesting ideas in the battles where the various relationships between you, your party, and the boss affect what actions they choose, but like I dunno if the combat ever gets difficult enough that you have to think about it.

And I think I managed to diverge one of the characters from becoming a boss by talking with them to sorta figure out the issue and get them to solve it on their own so that was neat.

It’s a very weird game with a lot of problems that I’m still enjoying it currently because I enjoy chatting with a small town full of weirdos.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
I enjoyed Ni No Kuni 2 enough to more or less 100% it but not enough to go out of my way to get the DLC content.

The town management is very Suikoden-meets-Facebook-games and the vibes were chill enough to enjoy it.

The plot definitely doesn't come anywhere close to living up to the bonkers opening and the battle system is just kinda... there, so I can understand people bouncing off of it though

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Yeah I liked both NNKs but 2 has such a god stupid story that you have to really vibe to the city building/music/gameplay to enjoy it I think. It was also so terribly easy at release but the patches fixed a lot of that up.

I really liked the first game though

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

The Colonel posted:

boo, that's the part I was most excited about experiencing

I'll still grab it at some point because it just sounds super unique and I'm interested in it, but definitely gonna knock it down on my wishlist a bit

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Ace Transmuter posted:

I enjoyed Ni No Kuni 2 enough to more or less 100% it but not enough to go out of my way to get the DLC content.

The town management is very Suikoden-meets-Facebook-games and the vibes were chill enough to enjoy it.

The plot definitely doesn't come anywhere close to living up to the bonkers opening and the battle system is just kinda... there, so I can understand people bouncing off of it though

Yeah this. It was fine. Enjoyed my time with it

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

So I got an itch to play something kinda like the latter Harebrained Shadowruns, but I am not sure where to look for? I don't mean the exact gameplay loop, format or aesthetics, but more like a relatively short RPG (less than 20 hours to beat) with decent-to-good mechanics that feels sorta like a tabletop campaign. Any suggestions?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Endorph posted:

the ni no kuni games are so bad that they made me not really like ghibli movies anymore

welp

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Wait loop8 is part of an established series???

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

ZearothK posted:

So I got an itch to play something kinda like the latter Harebrained Shadowruns, but I am not sure where to look for? I don't mean the exact gameplay loop, format or aesthetics, but more like a relatively short RPG (less than 20 hours to beat) with decent-to-good mechanics that feels sorta like a tabletop campaign. Any suggestions?

I feel like the most well-regarded ttrpg-based rpgs are all digital doorstoppers like the Pathfinder games, so something being relatively short is going to be a tough find.

Maybe Tyranny? With the caveat that mechanically it actually isn't very good and is mostly a vehicle for the writing.

Also obviously Disco Elysium is basically a ttrpg with a really sharp GM and no discrete combat system (anything remotely combat-related is relegated to being resolved with the regular skill system). But recommending DE on SA in the year 2023 feels a bit like preaching to the choir and the odds of any rpg-fan on the forums not already having played it are pretty slim, so if you've already done so ignore this recommendation.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i haven't played disco elysium

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

well then my recommendation stands

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
pirate Disco Elysium, the developers were screwed out of it and they want you to do it

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Meowywitch posted:

Wait loop8 is part of an established series???

it's part of a line of games that work in a similar structure that have all been developed by staff involved with gunparade march for ps1. other games those staff have worked on are gunparade orchestra, evangelion 2: evangelions and the video game side of the multimedia anime project the mars daybreak, the game of which is almost nothing like the anime at all

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Runa posted:

I feel like the most well-regarded ttrpg-based rpgs are all digital doorstoppers like the Pathfinder games, so something being relatively short is going to be a tough find.

Maybe Tyranny? With the caveat that mechanically it actually isn't very good and is mostly a vehicle for the writing.

Also obviously Disco Elysium is basically a ttrpg with a really sharp GM and no discrete combat system (anything remotely combat-related is relegated to being resolved with the regular skill system). But recommending DE on SA in the year 2023 feels a bit like preaching to the choir and the odds of any rpg-fan on the forums not already having played it are pretty slim, so if you've already done so ignore this recommendation.

Hell, yeah, my problem with Pathfinder is exactly how long they are (also feeling like I need to cast a lot of buffs before every fight, plus the volume of trash fights). They all out-stayed their welcome, even if I otherwise enjoyed parts of them.

Yeah, loved Disco Elysium. Did attempt to play through Tyranny three times, but the combat was so bad that I gave up on it. maybe i should try it for a fourth time on easy or something, because I loved the writing there.

If anyone is on the same quest as me I'd drop Encased as a rec. Looking here my playthrough of it was 30 hours and it is definitely very janky, but very much worth a play through, specially for people who want something that feels similar to Fallout 2.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ZearothK posted:

Cosmic Star Heroine
Masquerada: Songs and Shadows

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Hwurmp posted:

Cosmic Star Heroine
Masquerada: Songs and Shadows

Oh yeah, I enjoyed CSH! Not enough to finish it, but it was a good time.

I also started Masquerada but floundered because I got extremely busy and then had a hard reset when I got back into my gaming pants, might give it go again. Good rec!

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

ZearothK posted:

Showgunners is the best turnbased game that came out recently that flew under everyone's radar. Much more linear and shorter than Shadowrun though.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
NNK1 could've been fun if the monster mechanics weren't such poo poo. Catching monsters was completely random and only happened once when you defeated the monster, there are evolution mechanics but the monster is reduced to level 1 with no significant catchup mechanic, and your AI of course is a suicidal group of idiots that will either refuse to use any magic or use it so fast that you'll be out of mana restoration items before finishing your first battle.

It's a shame because I got had initially got the collector's edition of the Japanese DS version of the game that came with a physical version of the book in the game (and not just a cheap version either, this was a 1-to-1 copy) and I loved slowly translating my way through it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Janissary Hop posted:

Showgunners is the best turnbased game that came out recently that flew under everyone's radar. Much more linear and shorter than Shadowrun though.

I never even heard of that one. I have to wonder how nany cool RPGs just fly under the radar

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

i cant believe i was the useless piece of shit who managed to rig all the Library of Ruina LP thread polls and all i got was this account and shitty avatar.

pls say hi and heckle me
The Use of Life is still in early access but from what I've played, it's pretty good. Just a tad difficult at time.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Random translation question: Was the 'Kazuma Kiryu has never killed a man' quote/meme meant to be something like murder/manslaughter initially?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

RareAcumen posted:

Random translation question: Was the 'Kazuma Kiryu has never killed a man' quote/meme meant to be something like murder/manslaughter initially?

So at least the Japanese version of that meme is a quote from the end of Yakuza 0's first chapter, specifically this line (Ore wa chikatte koroshi wa yattemasen!) in response to Kiryu being accused of killing the guy from the opening scene.

In the translation it's written as "I swear to you that I didn't kill that man", but the original line he basically just swears against him killing/murdering. Now it's obviously kinda open to interpretation especially since in Japanese it's natural to leave out things that are considered obvious from context, but either way the quote is always brought back when Kiryu deals some kind of obviously grievous injury to anyone in any of the games. Sometimes even when a non-Kiryu protagonist does the same.

People also like to abbreviate it to simply "Chikakoro", from chikau (to swear) and korosu (to murder), so you can always be certain that the Japanese chat of a Yakuza game stream for instance will always have a lot "Chikakoro" messages whenever Kiryu does a particularly nasty heat action or somesuch.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Jun 8, 2023

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kanfy posted:

So at least the Japanese version of that meme is a quote from the end of Yakuza 0's first chapter, specifically this line (Ore wa chikatte koroshi wa yattemasen!) in response to Kiryu being accused of killing the guy from the opening scene.

In the translation it's written as "I swear to you that I didn't kill that man", but the original line he basically just swears against him killing/murdering. Now it's obviously kinda open to interpretation especially since in Japanese it's natural to leave out things that are considered obvious from context, but either way the quote is always brought back when Kiryu deals some kind of obviously grievous injury to anyone in any of the games. Sometimes even when a non-Kiryu protagonist does the same.

People also like to abbreviate it to simply "Chikakoro", from chikau (to swear) and korosu (to murder), so you can always be certain that the Japanese chat of a Yakuza game stream for instance will always have a lot "Chikakoro" messages whenever Kiryu does a particularly nasty heat action or somesuch.

Did that running joke really start from 0? That's the clearest it's ever been in my head. I assumed it was from 1 or 2.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I recall around ps3 days it being a joke, but I think it was because there's a line about him not killing in cold blood, in the ps2 yaks Kiryu definitely can kill a dude when cornered and has like using a dude as a human shield

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

around yakuza 3 they start throwing in lines about how kiryu 'isnt a murderer' and 'has never killed in cold blood'

theres not one Moment its a consistent thing about how they characterize kiryu in later games

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ZearothK posted:

Oh yeah, I enjoyed CSH! Not enough to finish it, but it was a good time.

there's also Zeboyd's most recent title about Shakespeare-based magical girls, This Way Lies Madness

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Yeah, it could be that people have joked about it before too, as full-on meme status chikakoro is definitely it in the JP community though.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Honest Thief posted:

I recall around ps3 days it being a joke, but I think it was because there's a line about him not killing in cold blood, in the ps2 yaks Kiryu definitely can kill a dude when cornered and has like using a dude as a human shield
Look it's the people shooting at him that killed the shield, okay?

I think part of the meme is that Kiryu will do poo poo that absolutely would kill people during heat actions, especially when armed with like, knives or such, and then they're just panting on their knee after the fight going "okay you got me I'll stop hassling that lady" and then the lady gives him a plate made out of a precious metal which are weirdly common around Kamurocho for some reason? What's the deal with those anyway is that related to some actual thing in japan or

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Endorph posted:

around yakuza 3 they start throwing in lines about how kiryu 'isnt a murderer' and 'has never killed in cold blood'

This sounds more like what I was thinking of and getting mixed up with other things.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Kiryu: *cuts a man's throat and watches him die, in a four-minute long heat action where he simply watches and shows no emotion whatsoever*

*end of fight*

"Oh, sorry, we won't do it again! Here's a paper plate."

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Janissary Hop posted:

drat, I had no idea this even existed and looks like 100% my poo poo, thanks! Going to add it to the wishlist.

Hwurmp posted:

there's also Zeboyd's most recent title about Shakespeare-based magical girls, This Way Lies Madness

Oh yeah, I have my eye on this one. Will probably pick it up during the Summer sale.

This question actually makes me wonder, why are so many RPGs such long-rear end games? I kinda feel this is something that begun around the PS1 era, but I don't exactly trust my memory.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

ZearothK posted:

drat, I had no idea this even existed and looks like 100% my poo poo, thanks! Going to add it to the wishlist.

Oh yeah, I have my eye on this one. Will probably pick it up during the Summer sale.

This question actually makes me wonder, why are so many RPGs such long-rear end games? I kinda feel this is something that begun around the PS1 era, but I don't exactly trust my memory.

Maybe because game length was severely limited before cdrom due to the hardware constraints?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zereth posted:

I think part of the meme is that Kiryu will do poo poo that absolutely would kill people during heat actions, especially when armed with like, knives or such, and then they're just panting on their knee after the fight going "okay you got me I'll stop hassling that lady" and then the lady gives him a plate made out of a precious metal which are weirdly common around Kamurocho for some reason? What's the deal with those anyway is that related to some actual thing in japan or
the plates are a reference to how pachinko parlors get around gambling laws. gambling directly for money is illegal so how pachinko parlors get around it is that you gamble for tokens/chips/balls/whatever and then you trade those balls in for prizes that are basically useless but theoretically have monetary value (like a plate made out of silver) and then you sell that at a pawn shop across the street owned by the same company that owns the pachinko parlor. so its basically the real life equivalent of how some JRPGs have gold bullions or gems or whatever whose only use is selling them at stores. yakuza, as a JRPG set in real life, uses them for that actual purpose mechanically.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Morpheus posted:

Kiryu: *cuts a man's throat and watches him die, in a four-minute long heat action where he simply watches and shows no emotion whatsoever*

*end of fight*

"Oh, sorry, we won't do it again! Here's a paper plate."

This is pretty much Isshin yeah

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
the casinos in the first four pokemon games with the prize center next door were a reference to this too iirc. until they dropped them, i think because ratings agencies got more leery at depicting gambling in kids games

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

it was EU ratings boards specifically iirc.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
also i was looking up footage on the HG/SS slot machines from the Japanese release and saw comments from 12 years ago complaining that it wasn't in the US/EU release and sometimes you get smacked with a realization of how goddamn old Youtube is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

*me watching a 14 year old Amiga longplay in 360p* huh?