Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Crain posted:

We already have a term for "Disco-likes" it's cRPG.

No, those are inspired by good games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

Zeniel posted:

You can change your characters wardrobe and go on dates. Disco Elysium is an early 00's newgrounds dating sim.

God if disco elysium came out twenty years ago i would be all over that newgrounds category

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

God this discussion or Kurvitz character is tiresome. And Rostov is an angel. Obviously they are Talinn's most prominent alcoholics and drug addicts, otherwise they couldnt write so well about subject matter. I've done drugs and I will tell you with confidence that both Rostov and Kutvitz know by their little hearts that amphetamine is not cocaine and over the top stuff you can legally buy in pharnacy will simply not give you the kick you need to feel alive

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Sekenr posted:

God this discussion or Kurvitz character is tiresome. And Rostov is an angel. Obviously they are Talinn's most prominent alcoholics and drug addicts, otherwise they couldnt write so well about subject matter. I've done drugs and I will tell you with confidence that both Rostov and Kutvitz know by their little hearts that amphetamine is not cocaine and over the top stuff you can legally buy in pharnacy will simply not give you the kick you need to feel alive

Congrats on the drugs dude

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

drugs rule

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Sekenr posted:

I've done drugs

criminal

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

No, they're a really good detective.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Organic Lube User posted:

No, they're a really good detective.

Every person has a limited amount of "really good detective" energy and drugs is how you recharge it, that's just common sense. :hmmyes:

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Are YOU a really good detective, Kim?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
This discussion is tiresome

- person bringing up a topic no one is talking about

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
Horny Harry

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

my dad posted:

I'm going to have to take a rain check on my post about DE's issues, there's too many (forums) things I've got on the backburner (I still haven't gotten around to continuing my effortposts about the linguistic reform in 19th century Serbia in another thread), I want to do Disco Elysium justice and I just don't have the focus for it right now.

Take yer time.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Organic Lube User posted:

Are YOU a really good detective, Kim?

I AM A DETECTIVE, OFFICER COSTEAU! :qq:

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Outside of not understanding the significance of trying to get the source code out of the company, this is a pretty good video on why the PMG exposé was way below their usual standards: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDtfcknELe0

I do really hope they actually take the criticism in stride and try to do better in the future, I've always enjoyed their content but in spite of going all out the Disco Elysium documentary was not that good.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Hey, irrelevant to the current discourse, what is the book on like, anti-capitalist theory that is intertwined with DE to the point that it used to be bundled with the game and sold through the official website? Am I making that up? What was that?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Outside of not understanding the significance of trying to get the source code out of the company, this is a pretty good video on why the PMG exposé was way below their usual standards: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDtfcknELe0

I do really hope they actually take the criticism in stride and try to do better in the future, I've always enjoyed their content but in spite of going all out the Disco Elysium documentary was not that good.

I watched this. Yeah, I mostly agree.

Good video.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

prayer group posted:

Hey, irrelevant to the current discourse, what is the book on like, anti-capitalist theory that is intertwined with DE to the point that it used to be bundled with the game and sold through the official website? Am I making that up? What was that?

A few better critics and commentators at the time related some of the game's themes to Capitalist Realism by Mark Fisher. The book also came up in various discussions about the game on the forums. I wouldn't be surprised if kurvitz et al had read it, but I also wouldn't be surprised if they hadn't.

It being bundled with the game though is probably something you hallucinated entirely

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
nice, i love hallucinating. thanks.

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
Her oration is kind of lacking though.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Huh, I would have figured if it was any book to be tied to the game like that it would be Derrida's Specters of Marx.

You can deifnitely feel the Mark Fisher influence everywhere in the game though, at least in spirit - less Capitalist Realism, though. I think his other works like Ghosts of My Life are more relevant to the game itself and I strongly suspect the authors read them at some point, but I'd wager they definitely read Specters.

The Weird and the Eerie has an extensive sections on the importance of the film Inland Empire and is super relevant but feels like it came too late (2017) to have had much direct impact on the game, definitely drawing from the same well though.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jun 14, 2023

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I definitely read Capitalist Realism because of this game and probably because of this thread.

And I recently participated in a study related to DE but I'm not supposed to talk about that yet. :ssh:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Animal-Mother posted:

And I recently participated in a study related to DE but I'm not supposed to talk about that yet. :ssh:

Fine, be coy and esoteric.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
I saw something deeply upsetting on Tumblr. It's deeply upsetting because I have four playthroughs under my belt and I never noticed:

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019
Well, poo poo.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Animal-Mother posted:

I definitely read Capitalist Realism because of this game and probably because of this thread.

drat the man, spill the deets. No loving nerd researcher's going to find you talking on this dead gay defunct comedy site's, paywalled, forum.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Actually SA is probably exactly the place someone who would do a research study on DE would hang out

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I was the study, and this was the final test. You passed.

Feel free to talk about it at length

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Epic High Five posted:

Actually SA is probably exactly the place someone who would do a research study on DE would hang out

drat, I hate how true this actually is.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Exactly. Anyway, the poo poo might be published at some point in the near future.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Animal-Mother posted:

Exactly. Anyway, the poo poo might be published at some point in the near future.

Do you know where?

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Oh, just a little journal you might have heard about called, Kotaku!

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

you gotta post it in the thread when it comes out so we can read it

or if this is a bit, post an update calling us all suckers

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

armpit_enjoyer posted:

I saw something deeply upsetting on Tumblr. It's deeply upsetting because I have four playthroughs under my belt and I never noticed:

Full post. Some are definitely more speculative, but it is a really nice touch.

https://lesbrarians.tumblr.com/post/668238545905942529/disco-elysium-screenshots-skills-influences

A saint where the lungs are the bodynpart emphasised in lieu of the heart is so clever. drat clever game.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jun 16, 2023

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

If memory serves I don't think suggestion with the stupid googly eyes was ever actually added to the game. But even in its cursed unlife it haunts us

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

christmas boots posted:

I was the study, and this was the final test. You passed.

Feel free to talk about it at length

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Crain posted:

Do you know where?

Not exactly but the author said they're probably going to be able to make the study itself public after their research concludes. I'll be sure to try and post it.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
My wife just devoured this game over the past couple weeks and immediately started a second playthrough. She’s obsessed with it. Here’s a little Inland Empire patch she just finished embroidering.

She's not sure which skill she should do next, so I'd be curious to hear what you guys think.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Half-Light was always my bro

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

Embroidery seems like an Interfacing skill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

ELECTROCHEMISTRY