Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Basically anything that amounts to a weekend activity is fine if you live within an hour of a big city. You probably don't even have to drive in if it's a real city with actual transit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Koirhor posted:

doom has been cancelled in lieu of all time highs

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Twerk from Home posted:

You don't have to do idiot tourist trap poo poo, grab baseball tickets and eat a hotdog, I bet they're cheap af because nobody goes to baseball games anymore. Only old people see live theater, so you can probably get season tickets to a surprisingly decent theater for a reasonable price. If you get cheap ones they might not include whatever the flagship show is this year, but that's fine. Go find a sand volleyball club or something, that's free.

I can do all of that here in my town of 107,000. Like exactly all of that, there's a local baseball team, there's multiple sand volleyball leagues at the bars around here, and the Weidner hosts plays and orchestras.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Yeah at this point if I'm not moving for a job or for family I'm not moving.

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Maed posted:

starter homes shouldn’t be a thing everyone should get their own large apartment in brutalist apartment blocks with parks in the middle of each one and amenities no more than a 10 minute walk away including a subway station

:hmmyes:

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

https://twitter.com/AlexandraErin/status/1669147857230626817

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

HAXTY GRONN

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

"coprophagic mistake machines" is a great phrase and I hope I get to use it at work some day

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Did you know you can have a vacuum cleaner with the power of AI?

https://www.samsung.com/us/home-appliances/bespoke/jet-ai-stick-vacuum-reserve/

Completely amazing technology and you definitely should not be concerned that this might be an insane, manufactured bubble.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

it's a really bad time to be in any kind of competitive job right now, public sector work and no-growth family businesses are probably the place to be over the next couple of years even if those jobs aren't very good

I'm working a public sector job that's badly understaffed and as a result the tools and resources I need to do my job are badly broken and I'm burning out so hard but to leave a public sector job with amazing health benefits and a pension would be an amazingly stupid thing to do so I'm powering through it best I can until I drop dead from a stress-induced heart attack

:smith:

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Real hurthling! posted:

i make way better handcut fries at home in a quarter inch of vegetable oil in a frying pan than any deep frier could dream of

I pretty much just shallow fry everything in my cast iron pan and it comes out fine. I had a deep fryer once and it was the most disgusting thing in my kitchen by far. There was just a miasma of grease around it all the time, and getting rid of all the used oil sucked. I'm never touching one of those again.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Paradoxish posted:

Completely amazing technology and you definitely should not be concerned that this might be an insane, manufactured bubble.

it’s just attaching the word blockchain to everything, again!! how do people fall for this garbage??

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

"coprophagic mistake machines" is a great phrase and I hope I get to use it at work some day

Thread title?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Lacrosse posted:

I'm working a public sector job that's badly understaffed and as a result the tools and resources I need to do my job are badly broken and I'm burning out so hard but to leave a public sector job with amazing health benefits and a pension would be an amazingly stupid thing to do so I'm powering through it best I can until I drop dead from a stress-induced heart attack

:smith:

hell yeah, union brother

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Gunshow Poophole posted:

it’s just attaching the word blockchain to everything, again!! how do people fall for this garbage??

The company that is literally trying to sell this technology going around and saying "my god, what hath our hubris wrought!?" is like the most hamfisted scammer behavior imaginable and somehow people are falling for that too.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Gunshow Poophole posted:

I honestly have to admire the craft of the marketing ghoul that linked these things to "AI." It's clearly working incredibly well. They're a hideous undead monster, sure, but craft is craft.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/BusinessInsider/status/1669148386166022147?s=20

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/Kareshy_Altah/status/1669136271392866305

Oh lord, this is going to be very funny.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

So what this tweet is saying is ad apocalypse accelerationism time?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Like I've been saying, the actual big SEO content companies seem to be staying far away from AI content because it seems like they can see this result coming down the pipeline. Even without these clearly broken results, LLMs are not churning out sufficiently differentiated or accurate content for SEO purposes and that means it's either going to be useless and filtered out by the algorithms or it'll flood everything and destroy the whole internet advertising ecosystem.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Emote idea:

:HAXTY:

And it's the OpenAI logo doing a :shrek:

Wait, gently caress, that's literally what this is. :stonk:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Ice-9, but it's generative AI turning everything on the Internet into garbage.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

SKULL.GIF posted:

Ice-9, but it's generative AI turning everything on the Internet into garbage.

https://twitter.com/Ettin64/status/1668600640631894016

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
e: wtf ^

one AI crashes into another one, which crash into two more and then all of a sudden low earth orbit is full of dead AIs

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/CNBCMakeIt/status/1669034029570564118?s=20

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/06/15/chinas-youth-unemployment-hits-a-fresh-record-high-in-may-major-data-disappoint.html

quote:

BEIJING — China’s youth unemployment rose to a record in May, while major data missed expectations, according to data released Thursday by the National Bureau of Statistics.

The unemployment rate for young people ages 16 to 24 rose to 20.8% in May, a record and above the high set in April. The jobless rate for people of all ages in cities was 5.2% in May.

Retail sales for May rose by 12.7% in May from a year ago, below expectations for 13.6% growth forecast by a Reuters poll.

Industrial production rose by 3.5% in May from a year ago, slower than the 3.6% expected by the Reuters poll.

Analysts forecast a 4.4% increase in fixed asset investment for the first five months of the year from a year ago.

Fixed asset investment for the first five months of the year rose by 4% from a year ago, slower than the 4.4% predicted by Reuters.

“The national economy sustained the recovery momentum,” the statistics bureau said in a release in English.

However, the bureau warned of persistent challenges from the international environment and “mounting pressure” on the “domestic structural adjustment,” without elaborating much.

Figures for April had also missed analysts’ expectations, reflecting how China’s economic recovery from the pandemic was losing steam.

Authorities have started to loosen monetary policy in a bid to support growth, although broader measures aren’t expected until top leaders hold a regular meeting in late July.

China’s largest commercial banks last week cut deposit rates. On Tuesday, the People’s Bank of China cut its seven-day reverse repurchase rate by 10 basis points from 2% to 1.9%. The central bank is expected to lower a benchmark interest rate next week.

Slowing global growth, especially in the U.S. and Europe, is weighing on Chinese exports, a significant contributor to domestic growth.

China’s exports fell by 7.5% in May from a year ago, far worse than the 0.4% decline predicted by a Reuters poll.

However, China’s May imports dropped less than expected, down by 4.5% from a year ago.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

oh good, that's what we need, more airbnbs, loving thanks cnbc

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

age 16 to 24, famous for not having students

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Time for a revolution

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Palladium posted:

age 16 to 24, famous for not having students

China doesn't count students as unemployed in its data. No one does. It's essentially the unemployment rate among recent graduates.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

thats gotta be a really nice barn

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
The neighbor wasn’t keen on running a rental himself, so Inlow went home, drafted a business plan and made him a proposition: If you give me $2,000, I’ll furnish the apartment using Facebook Marketplace and list it for short-term rentals on Airbnb.

Inlow managed the listing — launching a company called Be Still Getaways to do so — and split the profits down the middle with her neighbor. After it started making money, the pair teamed up for a second listing. Inlow found another partner for a third rental unit, splitting the profits the same way.

property manager takes 50% profit off someone else's building isn't quite as catchy a headline

Pretty rad dad pad
Oct 13, 2003

People who try to pretend they're superior make it so much harder for those of us who really are. Philistines!

StratGoatCom posted:

Emote idea:

:HAXTY:

And it's the OpenAI logo doing a :shrek:

Wait, gently caress, that's literally what this is. :stonk:

it's gotta be an "AI" generated one though and I don't think those things do gifs yet?

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Paradoxish posted:

Yeah I saw an episode of B&B Bears like that where the AI vacuum decided to kill the main characters in order to stop the mess at the source.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
https://www.lihpao.com/comprehensive-instructions-on-installing-solar-panels-in-2023-2/

Always hire a good Lovecraftian horror tech to install your rooftop solar panels.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

"taking in" i think is just gross revenue. it says he and her husband make about 150k/year total i guess

also

quote:

Wanting to capitalize on the momentum, Inlow went back to her neighbor-turned-investor and asked for $110,000, she says — this time to buy, build and furnish a tiny home off Craiglist.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Real hurthling! posted:

hell yeah, union brother

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Lacrosse posted:

Everything is so expensive now people must be pulling back on their purchases. I can tell because a bubble tea shop I've never given my email address to somehow got my email address to send a coupon deal to. It reminds me of early covid when a bunch of companies I had no idea had my contact info crawled out of the woodwork to tell me how much they care about me.

A bunch of friends were ordering bubble tea and I just wanted an unsweet ice tea. No frills, no sugar, just cold tea in a cup

It was $8.50 so I didn't order it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
Well the redditors gave up on their protest. Probably could have forced some concessions if they went for longer but ah well, nevertheless