Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Minera posted:

wow yeah number goes up, rich get richer, who cares
abillionaire dying is the most exciting economic news in a decade lol

who cares??? Ulta and Victoria's Secret is in jeopardy!

https://www.morningstar.com/news/marketwatch/2023062041/student-loan-payments-are-coming-back-and-these-are-the-stocks-most-at-risk

quote:

The greatest risk will hit the first bucket -- recently graduated, newly employed individuals -- who will likely be spending less at names like American Eagle Outfitters (AEO), Urban Outfitters (URBN), Figs (FIGS) and Victoria's Secret (VSCO).

In the second bucket, they see some risks to higher income, aspirational luxury retailers selling to that cohort, with stocks including Capri Holding (CPRI), Tapestry (TPR), Canada Goose (GOOS.T), Nordstrom (JWN), Lululemon (LULU) and Ulta Beauty (ULTA) all at risk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 73 days!

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Marx Headroom posted:

Once you have enough money you should get legal immunity from regulations like wearing seatbelts, abusing fentanyl, visiting the Mariana Trench in a trashcan, etc.

That doesn't already happen? Money is how you get any rights at all, and it doesn't take even half a billion before you're pretty much just above the law.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

SKULL.GIF posted:

Didn't a billionaire die last year in a helicopter crash?

kobe wasn't a billionaire

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

SKULL.GIF posted:

Kobe died in 2020 and it was covid. The helicopter was a cover up.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

FIGS was already getting undercut by a dozen other brands that are figuring out ways to sell comfy scrubs in bright colors that don't cost 100 dollars a set

I sat next to a FIGS model in PA school though so I get mine on the cheap

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SKULL.GIF posted:

One of them died during penis enlargement surgery

Billionaires innovating ways to die all the time.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

They're actually going to destroy retail because of moral hazard, amazing

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Nothus posted:

they can try but i am not gonna pay that poo poo i can't

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
they should send Elon down there to rescue the billionaires

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Why innovate submersible design with all of these parts and systems that might fail at all?

I’m not saying Holland submarines were better designed per se, but they seem more rugged.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
they can say "we're restarting payments, you need to pay it" all they want, but they can't make the money appear in my bank account

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Frosted Flake posted:

Why innovate submersible design with all of these parts and systems that might fail at all?

I’m not saying Holland submarines were better designed per se, but they seem more rugged.

Tried and true doesn't get that sweet VC money

Gotta DISRUPT the submersible industry

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Nothus posted:

Good. Americana corpo retail is very bad and constant wagetheft and exploitation. the increasing fracturing and cleaving of the material base is good for the overthrowment of the capital syste

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Nothus posted:

good

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

they can say "we're restarting payments, you need to pay it" all they want, but they can't make the money appear in my bank account

Joe Biden can and will garnish your wages for the rest of your life tho

unless your making money under the table then cool keep it up

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
i hope restarting student loan payments tanks the economy and causes trump to get reelected

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

same with Lululemon. like on one hand its cool they made a good product, but probably bad for them i haven't had to buy workout shorts in like 8 years.

now instagram is full of knockoffs that costs a fraction of the price.

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 73 days!

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

we're bringing back debtors prison

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1670967257432834048

china seeing lesser exports. recession imminent!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

FizFashizzle posted:

now instagram is full of knockoffs that costs a fraction of the price.

sure but it’s the brand people are paying for so lnockoffs aren’t really a big deal. you’ve been able to buy good workout clothes from Walmart/target for like 30 years now

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

spacemang_spliff posted:

i hope restarting student loan payments tanks the economy and causes trump to get reelected

trump should run on forgiving them on day one.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Xaris posted:

Joe Biden can and will garnish your wages for the rest of your life tho

unless your making money under the table then cool keep it up

i'm sure they'll try but i'm also gonna be trying to not pay a cent of it for the rest of my life, we'll see who wins out

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Xaris posted:

sure but it’s the brand people are paying for.

nah, Lulu has been outflanked on the more expensive end by like Vuori and Athleta.

On the cheap end, no one cares.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
and whereas the jerk managing my account is managing a million others, i only have to worry about managing the non-payment of one of them

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Xpforr posted:

What’s there to talk about. Red means good, green means bad, right?

this but unironically.

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

lmao

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

spacemang_spliff posted:

yep

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Orange Devil posted:

It’s always fun when someone crack pings themselves with this.

The thing is I never knew how much more toxic fossil fuel power is vs. nuclear. I think most people have heard this and think, "oh sure, you make 50% less waste with nukes but it lasts forever," but in reality it's four orders of mother loving magnitude more waste from fossil fuels and the toxic coal and oil waste lasts forever as well, but they don't decay like nuclear waste does.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Frosted Flake posted:

Without going into a whole thing about the Victorian Navy, ships of Titanic’s era were famously vulnerable to underwater damage of all kinds. The pre-Dreadnought battleships in particular were probe to capsize or rapid flooding due to poor compartmentalization.

So, considering this was a passenger liner, I don’t think the bulkheads were unusually poorly laid out, if you take warships as the state of the art.

DK Brown gets way more into it in his book, but that was my takeaway.

Compartmentalization probably wouldn’t have mattered, honestly, because part of the reason why the ships of that era were so vulnerable was due to the poor metallurgical quality of the rivets used to join the steel plates. The rivets became brittle in the cold waters of the North Atlantic and were very prone to having the heads snap/shear off upon impact, often with a cascade failure effect once the initial failure had occurred.

So basically, like most Good Capitalists, they saved money on the bolts at the cost of an (insured) ship. It’s too bad they didn’t have self-sealing stem bolts. But hey, it’s always good to know that even in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, they loved planned obsolescence!

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

RadiRoot posted:

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1670967257432834048

china seeing lesser exports. recession imminent!

Ghost cities! Organ farms! Winnie the Pooh's regime is in tatters! The Chinese economy's collapse is imminent! Any day now!

Any!

Day!

Now!!!!!!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

mycomancy posted:

The thing is I never knew how much more toxic fossil fuel power is vs. nuclear. I think most people have heard this and think, "oh sure, you make 50% less waste with nukes but it lasts forever," but in reality it's four orders of mother loving magnitude more waste from fossil fuels and the toxic coal and oil waste lasts forever as well, but they don't decay like nuclear waste does.

https://e360.yale.edu/features/coal-ash-united-states-epa-rule

The EPA is toothless now so these impoundment ponds keep failing and leaking into the groundwater. I'm sure it's fine!

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Mr Hootington posted:

The world prays for the submarine. We wish them a safe return to further justify no regulations.

There hardly need be any since submarines are the purview of: The military, researchers, drug cartels, and occasionally dipshits like this.

The above 2 know their poo poo and at least with the US Navy, makes the engineers ride on the boat first. The cartels and billionaires write their own rules anyway, and don't we all wish them well :allears:

Speaking of the Navy, lol of course they got scrambled to find Billy Billions. On the other hand though I'm sure the P8 guys needed training hours anyway and this is a fun little challenge.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Starting to seem like it's entirely possible to plan an economy these days

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Xaris posted:

Good. Americana corpo retail is very bad and constant wagetheft and exploitation. the increasing fracturing and cleaving of the material base is good for the overthrowment of the capital syste

You'd think making money would be important to capital. But it turns out they really don't give a poo poo about the retail sector.

Putting the boot back on the throat of young middle class people, who are also expected to have kids and buy houses and keep consuming for purely ideological reasons

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

skooma512 posted:

There hardly need be any since submarines are the purview of: The military, researchers, drug cartels, and occasionally dipshits like this.

The above 2 know their poo poo and at least with the US Navy, makes the engineers ride on the boat first. The cartels and billionaires write their own rules anyway, and don't we all wish them well :allears:

Speaking of the Navy, lol of course they got scrambled to find Billy Billions. On the other hand though I'm sure the P8 guys needed training hours anyway and this is a fun little challenge.

Maybe they’ll drop enough sonar buoys so that a man could walk from Greenland to Iceland to Scotland without getting his feet wet.

Xpforr
Sep 7, 2022

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

Ghost cities! Organ farms! Winnie the Pooh's regime is in tatters! The Chinese economy's collapse is imminent! Any day now!

Any!

Day!

Now!!!!!!

Y’all i think this is true, China is doomed. Source

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

sink 182

Innocuous
Mar 1, 2003

It's a strange world.

FizFashizzle posted:

Gotta DISRUPT the submersible industry

5000 PSI of pressure seems to be disrupting the submersible industry just fine these days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I wish you'd step back from that undersea ledge, my friend

Monkey Fracas posted:

That's a different late 90's band with a reference to eyeballs and a number in its name I think

Eric Cantonese posted:

That's Third Eye Blind.

Filthy Hans has issued a correction as of 19:49 on Jun 20, 2023