Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Brimruk
Jun 5, 2009

lmao

"Where's my dad again"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

mycomancy posted:

The thing is I never knew how much more toxic fossil fuel power is vs. nuclear. I think most people have heard this and think, "oh sure, you make 50% less waste with nukes but it lasts forever," but in reality it's four orders of mother loving magnitude more waste from fossil fuels and the toxic coal and oil waste lasts forever as well, but they don't decay like nuclear waste does.

Yah it's a very funny topic because it's so easy to see that the whole system is bullshit and rigged if you do even the tiniest bit of reading on it. Hardly anyone bothers though. And if you try to talk to anyone about it you're a boring + dumb nerd.

RadiRoot posted:

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1670967257432834048

china seeing lesser exports. recession imminent!

An expert huh?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Filthy Hans posted:

I wish you'd step back from that undersea ledge, my friend

That's a different late 90's band with a reference to eyeballs and a number in its name I think

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

FizFashizzle posted:

kobe wasn't a billionaire

Mr Hootington posted:

Kobe died in 2020 and it was covid. The helicopter was a cover up.

Nah, this wasn't Kobe.

2021 Kellner died in Alaska: https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/29/business/petr-kellner-helicopter-crash/index.html
2019 Cline dead in Bahamas: https://people.com/human-interest/chris-cline-dead-bahamas-helicopter-crash/

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

tired: comrade helicopter

wired: comrade submarine

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I wonder if SOSUS picked up the bloop or the crunch from this thing imploding lol.

Feel sad for all the marine life getting liquefied when they start banging away with active sonar all over its last known.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

euphronius posted:

I wonder what the shoulder buttons are mapped to

DO A BARREL ROLL

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Filthy Hans posted:

I wish you'd step back from that undersea ledge, my friend

That's Third Eye Blind.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Eric Cantonese posted:

That's Third Eye Blind.

dangit

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Hahahaha

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Orange Devil posted:

Yah it's a very funny topic because it's so easy to see that the whole system is bullshit and rigged if you do even the tiniest bit of reading on it. Hardly anyone bothers though. And if you try to talk to anyone about it you're a boring + dumb nerd.

I was talking to my wife, who is at best a social democrat (cue Patrick Stewart as Lenin here), about how fossil fuels will continue to be used until we are +15 C no matter what because they're exploitable in a Marxist sense while everything else (solar, wind, hydro, geo, nuke, and bio) isn't. Our species is assuredly doomed, and it's not gonna be in like 20 or 30 years. We're gonna see it within 5.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

Starting to seem like it's entirely possible to plan an economy these days

it basically has been since they invented computers

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

mycomancy posted:

I was talking to my wife, who is at best a social democrat (cue Patrick Stewart as Lenin here), about how fossil fuels will continue to be used until we are +15 C no matter what because they're exploitable in a Marxist sense while everything else (solar, wind, hydro, geo, nuke, and bio) isn't. Our species is assuredly doomed, and it's not gonna be in like 20 or 30 years. We're gonna see it within 5.

It’s not going to be +15 C / species doomed in 5 years.

But Number might be 15K higher by then!

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Brimruk posted:

lmao

"Where's my dad again"

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

mycomancy posted:

you're dumb and not a climate scientist

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Regarde Aduck posted:

I'm a posting doctor and I say he's right

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Regarde Aduck posted:

The +15 C thing was an exaggeration, but the 5 years were not. Feel free to lick my anus in any event.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

how many Fs is that god drat I don’t know C

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

number

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

euphronius posted:

Each degree is equal to 1.8 degree F, so that's +27 degrees Fahrenheit.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

mycomancy posted:

All of those things are exploitable in a Marxist sense

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib
do they have any decent games on board? 96 hours is a long time

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

euphronius posted:

F'd several times over by my calculations

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
the rate at which everything is rapidly declining, 2030 is definitely gunna be wild as poo poo. and not in a good way

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

euphronius posted:

a change of 15 degrees C is 27 degrees F

divide by 5 and multiply by 9

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

RadiRoot posted:

off topic

CAN WE TALK ABOUT THE loving ECONOMY AGAIN

https://twitter.com/jasonfurman/status/1669736379343880194

Furman sez: The pandemic spike in labor productivity has disappeared. My theory is productivity spiked with WFH policies and dropped as people were brought back to unproductive office spaces.

Business types HATE when this number goes down, it's supposed to go up forever (like the other numbers), so they'll want to get MORE people back to the office as revenge on labor.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

ben shapino posted:

Then I'm using the wrong word. What would be a more appropriate word to contrast the difference between fossil fuels and the others in the eyes of the capitalist?

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

mycomancy posted:

Then I'm using the wrong word. What would be a more appropriate word to contrast the difference between fossil fuels and the others in the eyes of the capitalist?

I don't know man

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

euphronius posted:

I know this was a dumb shitpost but if you need an easy memonic to memorize. multiply by 2x, knock off 10% in sales tax, and add 32 (0c=32f). or just simply say 2x + 30. that way if you have a recipe that needs an oven set to 170c, you can convert quickly.

or if some eurofuck starts whining that it’s too hot at 22c you can lol at them

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
whippings will continue until morale improves

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
get on the metric system you clowns

where's Lincoln chafee

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

ben shapino posted:

I don't know man

Ok thanks

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Xaris posted:

I know this was a dumb shitpost but if you need an easy memonic to memorize. multiply by 2x, knock off 10% in sales tax, and add 32 (0c=32f). or just simply say 2x + 30. that way if you have a recipe that needs an oven set to 170c, you can convert quickly.

Yes, that's very easy to memorize :psypop:

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Xaris posted:

yikes

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Nothus posted:

Yes, that's very easy to memorize :psypop:

... yeah it actually is?

Take 19, double it (38), knock off 10% (-3.8, so 34.2, round to 34 (or you can just round -3.8 to 4 and add the .2 back in later if you care)), add 32 (66).

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

ben shapino posted:

Yeah, it's not like PG&E or whomever can't suck people dry by owning infrastructure and selling hydro or nuclear power indefinitely. Coal and oil are just the cheapest and easiest to extract and burn and require much smaller capital outlays, so they're always going to be at the top of the board if you're only considering the immediate return on capital.

Brimruk
Jun 5, 2009

Vox Nihili posted:

https://twitter.com/jasonfurman/status/1669736379343880194

Furman sez: The pandemic spike in labor productivity has disappeared. My theory is productivity spiked with WFH policies and dropped as people were brought back to unproductive office spaces.

Business types HATE when this number goes down, it's supposed to go up forever (like the other numbers), so they'll want to get MORE people back to the office as revenge on labor.

How is productivity measured? If it's GDP or something analogous wonder how much of the 2020/2021 trend is just mass-production of masks and other poo poo

Also pre-pandemic is looking at only like 2, 3 years? If you blow out the time series back to 2014 then we're roughly in-line with where we 'should' be (assuming the trend line rebounds)

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/OPHNFB

But of course this number doesn't matter to business types because we have to be busy little bees back in the loving drone office

Edit: very rough and ready quick Excel bullshit, but yeah if you trend off 2013 - 2019 number is fine:
https://imgur.com/a/jJxVkAR

Brimruk has issued a correction as of 20:46 on Jun 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

In a marxist sense you exploit labour by paying wages lower than the labour provided. Everything after that is realizing your surplus labour value that you stole from the workers.