Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Brimruk
Jun 5, 2009

Buffer posted:

way down. Covid erased 30 years of gains and we are back to the 80s on the actuary tables

and I imagine deaths of despair, aka ‘system working as intended’, will only continue if not accelerate so just lol lmao I guess

I’d thought we lost a bit due to COVID but hadn’t realized it was that bad goddamn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Vox Nihili posted:

There's maybe a point to be made re: more exploitation of labor w/r/t coal in particular because it's an operation that's heavy on labor and light on capital expenses relative to other energy sources so there is arguably more capacity for exploitation (and accompanying profits) so maybe that's what the OP was getting at. It's part of why coal mining has such a rich labor history (or rather, a bitter history). Some types of industry are inherently more suited for squeezing profit out of workers than others.

Yes, I think that's what I was trying to articulate. Like, coal makes a loving mess, is horrible PR, and isn't even that good of a fuel, so why not jump on nuclear? The answer is you can't get millions of Appalachians to enrich uranium for a gigajoule per penny or whatever, more high tech energy industries require less exploitable labor at this current time. So get the cheap poo poo using the most exploitable labor you can find. I get it now, thank you.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/PatBlanchfield/status/1671262497062412293

Hmmmmm, who could have seen this coming?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Real hurthling! posted:

mf drilled a tv mount into the hull

Isn't that carbon fibre?

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
Probably a minor point of safety but should that sub been colored something other than white? Is there some regulation on this that was ignored or didn't apply? On the remote possibility that the sub surfaced and is bobbing around, I would imagine that white sub would blend in with the white caps of the sea.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Frosted Flake posted:

Isn't that carbon fibre?

its 5 inches of carbon fiber. only the dome ends are titanium

quote:

Engineered and built by OceanGate, Titan, is comprised of carbon fiber and titanium. The filament wound cylinder that forms the center section of the pressure vessel is 5" thick and made from over 800 layers of carbon fiber material. The entire pressure vessel is comprised of two titanium hemispheres, two matching titanium interface rings, and the 142 cm (56") internal diameter, 2.4-m (100") long carbon fiber wound cylinder – the largest such device ever built for use in a manned submersible. The use of carbon fiber reduces the overall weight compared to other deep-sea submersibles.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

they find the sub and the guys are initially nowhere to be found but they left behind a series of cassette tapes where they each narrate their thoughts and react to things happening

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

https://oceangate.com/news-and-media/blog/2019-0221-why-titan-is-not-classed.html

Innovation and Classing

When OceanGate was founded the goal was to pursue the highest reasonable level of innovation in the design and operation of manned submersibles. By definition, innovation is outside of an already accepted system. However, this does not mean that OceanGate does meet standards where they apply, but it does mean that innovation often falls outside of the existing industry paradigm.

While classing agencies are willing to pursue the certification of new and innovative designs and ideas, they often have a multi-year approval cycle due to a lack of pre-existing standards, especially, for example, in the case of many of OceanGate’s innovations, such as carbon fiber pressure vessels and a real-time (RTM) hull health monitoring system. Bringing an outside entity up to speed on every innovation before it is put into real-world testing is anathema to rapid innovation. For example, Space X, Blue Origin and Virgin Galactic all rely on experienced inside experts to oversee the daily operations, testing, and validation versus bringing in outsiders who need to first be educated before being qualified to ‘validate’ any innovations.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Vox Nihili posted:

https://oceangate.com/news-and-media/blog/2019-0221-why-titan-is-not-classed.html

Innovation and Classing

When OceanGate was founded the goal was to pursue the highest reasonable level of innovation in the design and operation of manned submersibles. By definition, innovation is outside of an already accepted system. However, this does not mean that OceanGate does meet standards where they apply, but it does mean that innovation often falls outside of the existing industry paradigm.

While classing agencies are willing to pursue the certification of new and innovative designs and ideas, they often have a multi-year approval cycle due to a lack of pre-existing standards, especially, for example, in the case of many of OceanGate’s innovations, such as carbon fiber pressure vessels and a real-time (RTM) hull health monitoring system. Bringing an outside entity up to speed on every innovation before it is put into real-world testing is anathema to rapid innovation. For example, Space X, Blue Origin and Virgin Galactic all rely on experienced inside experts to oversee the daily operations, testing, and validation versus bringing in outsiders who need to first be educated before being qualified to ‘validate’ any innovations.

Oh no they invented this?

Yeah, they've been dead for days now.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Antonymous posted:

its 5 inches of carbon fiber. only the dome ends are titanium

oh, oh no. this whole time I thought it was carbon fiber inside a titanium tube

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Raskolnikov38 posted:

oh, oh no. this whole time I thought it was carbon fiber inside a titanium tube

Yeah same. That seems really, really bad.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
The abyssopelagic zone would like to extend its sincerest gratitude for the sudden influx of nutrients

Vox Nihili posted:

Innovation and Classing

So they have a system they says "Hull Integrity at 50%"?

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
They built a submarine by sticking two titanium shells together with fiberglass tape and expensive super glue and it killed four billionaires

Morbus
May 18, 2004

mycomancy posted:

Yes, I think that's what I was trying to articulate. Like, coal makes a loving mess, is horrible PR, and isn't even that good of a fuel, so why not jump on nuclear? The answer is you can't get millions of Appalachians to enrich uranium for a gigajoule per penny or whatever, more high tech energy industries require less exploitable labor at this current time. So get the cheap poo poo using the most exploitable labor you can find. I get it now, thank you.

It's a reasonable concept to articulate, but otoh you can't look at poo poo like this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olkiluoto_Nuclear_Power_Plant

which racked up endless billable hours on cost-plus contracts, and conclude "yes, nuclear power just doesn't involve very much exploitable labor".

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

skooma512 posted:

The abyssopelagic zone would like to extend its sincerest gratitude for the sudden influx of nutrients

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Vox Nihili posted:

Innovation and Classing

there’s a word “seaworthy”. as a marine professional and one that worked for fifteen years directly in service of the safety of life at sea…

the only folks that have any business saying any vessel intended to be operated out in bluewater is “seaworthy” are the classification societies.

this is the reason for that.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

someone make a Wikipedia article for “billionaire falls”

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

it’s funny that he wrote all that and then also fired his safety employee who said it was unsafe

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

cat botherer posted:

Yeah those people were right.

Yeah Obama basically tried to kill/privatize Social Security. The only reason it didn’t happen is Republicans didn’t want to give a black Democrat a win, even though they would have gotten everything they wanted.

Also isn’t carbon fiber strong but also brittle? Like I imagine there was no movie style scene where the characters hear the hull creeking. Someone probably accidentally bumped the gamer monitor screwed into the hull, causing enough of a crack that the whole thing imploded immediately.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Bar Ran Dun posted:

there’s a word “seaworthy”. as a marine professional and one that worked for fifteen years directly in service of the safety of life at sea…

the only folks that have any business saying any vessel intended to be operated out in bluewater is “seaworthy” are the classification societies.

this is the reason for that.

The Coast Guard does it largely so they don't have to go and fish out all the people who's ships their employers/owners cheaped out on, and even then.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

PostNouveau posted:

Rescued alive so we can get some interviews with these dipshits now that everyone knows how big of dipshits they are

:hmmyes: this is the funniest outcome.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
The funniest outcome is the sub is found, but only 1 person is alive and it is obvious they murdered each other.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Vox Nihili posted:

When OceanGate was founded the goal was to pursue the highest reasonable level of innovation

"First, they think you're crazy, then they fight you, and then you change the world", I mutter, as I close the toilet lid and butt-scooch from the Observation Deck back to my knock-off xbox controller

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

why did he want to make the submarine "lightweight," that seems... unimportant. you just add or remove ballast. you don't have to be aerodynamic or anything really

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

i think we need to consider free market solutions to the sub problem

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Mr Hootington posted:

The funniest outcome is the sub is found, but only 1 person is alive and it is obvious they murdered each other.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I didn't hear about the carbon fiber hull until just now and lol, they're not gonna find poo poo then. Not even enough to find a capsule on the ocean floor, they need to find the two endcaps because that hull shattered. It happens to bicycle and car parts all the time and they're sharp.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Over 11 decades later and the titanic still at it

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

FlapYoJacks posted:

If humans disappeared in a day the world would be on fire and a radioactive wasteland a year later. Maybe a few thousand years later it would be safe again for life.

It would still be a better alternative than letting us keep doubling the amount of plastic produced every decade

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.

skooma512 posted:

So they have a system they says "Hull Integrity at 50%"?

In the CBS Sunday Morning piece from last year their reporter was shown cracking a joke about 'hull integrity holding' during a dive. I guess he was referencing that system.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

That poo poo is a crushed coke can on the seabed with 5 humans worth of goo inside

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Egg Moron posted:

That poo poo is a crushed coke can on the seabed with 5 humans worth of goo inside

Highly doubtful

All the goo would have leaked out and been eaten by sealife by now

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Egg Moron posted:

They wish it was that. It's the two endcaps kilometers apart with a bunch of sharp carbon fiber shards strewn around. Hopefully there's no whales around to eat the shards.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Egg Moron posted:

Close, billionaires aren't human.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

skooma512 posted:

They wish it was that. It's the two endcaps kilometers apart with a bunch of sharp carbon fiber shards strewn around. Hopefully there's no whales around to eat the shards.

I bet there was at least one actual coke can somewhere on the scene tho

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

skooma512 posted:

The Coast Guard does it largely so they don't have to go and fish out all the people who's ships their employers/owners cheaped out on, and even then.

The coast guard is a flag state /competent authority. they still defer to the classification societies and accept their certificates.

this sub didn’t have to be inspected or classed. But it should have been.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

And you know that poo poo got crushed

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxBGgw8eeAQ

If American optimism is pathological, I guess this is them projecting eh?

They're downcast Chinese "excess savings" haven't turned into consumer spending.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Bar Ran Dun posted:

this sub didn’t have to be inspected or classed. But it should have been.

disagree

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

if the suffocation doesn't get them the blood clots will

even an electric chair lets you sit for your last moments