Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I really need to buy power wash simulator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

tuyop posted:

If it gives you the “slow charger” warning, that means that it doesn’t provide the right voltage so the SD uses a lower voltage option, which charges it more slowly.

For me, I’ve never really had an issue with this playing, say, Ori and the Wisps, the battery charge went down but it would take like 8 hours to deplete fully and I can’t sit still that long anyway.

So if you get that warning, you may want to send the thing back and try another option, or it may be just fine.

The maximum power draw from the deck should generally be low enough that you don't need the 45W from the official charger to keep it topped up. Anecdotally, I have one of those little Switch mini docks that I bring when we're traveling and I use that as a dock for the Switch and SD. It only outputs I think 36W or something anemic like that, and that's enough to keep the SD fully charged under any load, even though it'll pop up the slow charging warning.

I haven't done extensive testing or anything so grain of salt, etc. but my experience is that you definitely don't need a full 45W if you're just keeping it topped up and not concerned about relatively quick charging.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I use a 65w charger and a 10 foot USB C cable when playing. It’s overkill for lower spec games, but it’s perfect for demanding stuff.

I got tired of plugging/unplugging it whenever I went to a friend’s place soI recently bought this cute little 67w charger from Shargeek to keep in my bag. It looks like a retro Macintosh and the screen displays the wattage of the thing it’s charging.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

jokes posted:

How is Harvestella?

It's pretty good, I would recommend it. Agree with others that the tutorials can feel fairly tedious but you can power through those in a couple hours and then the game gets very fun. Solid storyline too.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

jokes posted:

What are you people playing on the deck?

FF XIV: Stormblood as my daily goof off game.
FF V for the Four Job Fiesta.
Sometimes Castle of Illusion (MD) for larks.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jun 22, 2023

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I'm only playing Diablo 4 currently. I don't really play more than one game at a time otherwise I'll never finish anything.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Jun 22, 2023

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Going to spend all weekend on Sonic Origins Plus playing every single game as Amy.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

jokes posted:

Final Fantasy XII TZA
Final Fantasy V Four Job Fiesta
Monster Hunter 2
Caves of Qud

Probably going to start Yakuza Like A Dragon when I finish with TZA. The Deck rules, folks

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

jokes posted:

When the kids have the Switch and preventing me from playing Zelda ToTK, I am mainly playing Wild Arms on the Deck. When the Steam summer sale starts next week, I'll likely be adding these to the rotation:

Chained Echoes
LIVE A LIVE
Spider-Man: Miles Morales

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Mat Cauthon posted:

It's pretty good, I would recommend it. Agree with others that the tutorials can feel fairly tedious but you can power through those in a couple hours and then the game gets very fun. Solid storyline too.
Are videos still broken?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Detective No. 27 posted:

I use a 65w charger and a 10 foot USB C cable when playing. It’s overkill for lower spec games, but it’s perfect for demanding stuff.

I got tired of plugging/unplugging it whenever I went to a friend’s place soI recently bought this cute little 67w charger from Shargeek to keep in my bag. It looks like a retro Macintosh and the screen displays the wattage of the thing it’s charging.

The Steam Deck can actually only take a maximum of 45W, although in my experience it will almost never draw more than 40W.

A beefier charger is definitely still the way to go for general use cases, was just mentioning that weaker chargers are okay for certain cases like running off a battery pack or using a dual-purpose dock that won't brick a Switch.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Yeah, as I said, it’s overkill. But it comes in handy. I can use it to charge my MacBook too.

Anyway, Steam Deck has inspired me to build a gaming PC. I’m gonna order parts slowly over time. I just ordered the motherboard and SSD. Congrats Gabe, your gambit worked.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Latest update borked my sleep mode. Screen goes black for a minute then comes back on.

E: deleted my sleep animation, now it finally goes to sleep after thirty seconds of black screen

RandolphCarter fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jun 22, 2023

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Anybody try the no-solder gullikit replacements? I'm curious enough to consider it after replacing the fan and the SSD

My Deck is the Deck of Theseus

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

jokes posted:

Anybody try the no-solder gullikit replacements? I'm curious enough to consider it after replacing the fan and the SSD

I did the solder version way back. Don’t think about it, just order them they’re worth it.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Still not having any drift issues with my OG Deck sticks, knock on wood

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Detective No. 27 posted:

Yeah, as I said, it’s overkill. But it comes in handy. I can use it to charge my MacBook too.

Anyway, Steam Deck has inspired me to build a gaming PC. I’m gonna order parts slowly over time. I just ordered the motherboard and SSD. Congrats Gabe, your gambit worked.

Be careful about this: if you don't have a way to test them when they arrive, they might be out of the exchange period when you find out that something is wrong with them, and then you have to fight the RMA beast. Generally it is recommended that you just save up and buy them all at once.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

jokes posted:

I ordered them, but the only vendor selling them on Amazon in Mainland Europe never shipped them

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Detective No. 27 posted:

This is funny because the steam deck has made me use my gaming PC less

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I'm still playing Midnight Suns (usually about an hour before bed each night) but have a queue forming for my next games:

- griftlands
- disco Elysium
- subnautica (revisit)

On my wish list :

- Street Fighter 6
- Miles Morales

Really with SF my biggest choice is do I get it on Steam or Xbox.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

My 2TB postage stamp arrived from Framework, so I’ll be imaging and doing some surgery this weekend I guess.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Dear Asus
Your thing launched, where should I learn about what you are doing with it for reference?
Don't say Twitter
Yours in Christ
Game Satan

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Upsidads posted:

Dear Asus
Your thing launched, where should I learn about what you are doing with it for reference?
Don't say Twitter
Yours in Christ
Game Satan

They have a YouTube channel :shrug:

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

It's a everything Asus channel so it's all In on the upcoming phone

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Subjunctive posted:

My 2TB postage stamp arrived from Framework, so I’ll be imaging and doing some surgery this weekend I guess.

Be sure to put a recovery image on a known-to-work USB drive, or a SD card (including using the Steam Deck itself to turn an SD card into a recovery disk. I did not do this and lost money and time hunting down a working drive.

Highly recommend getting a USB-C enclosure for your old SSD in case you need to do any post-installation transfers. I did this to make sure I could transfer saves and ROMs and modded games wholecloth onto the new SSD.

Consider not finishing up sealing your Steam Deck after the surgery until you can boot reliably.

Consider not cloning your old Steam Deck drive, and just starting fresh.

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009

Beve Stuscemi posted:

This is where I’m at. I’m playing through Kingdom Come and honestly all I’m looking at for my future gaming is “what can I play on the deck”? I have a beefy PC that I rarely touch now

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The only thing I play on my PC that I could play on the Deck at this point is warhammer 3, because turn times aren't great on the Deck and the Linux version doesn't work well with mods.

Note: TW:WH3 is not bad on the deck. It's just better on the PC.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

When I upgraded my deck's storage I just used a USB c hd enclosure to copy the old drive to the new one in desktop mode with 1 command. Then I swapped in the new and booted up and everything was the same and my new space was available.

That was a month or two ago and no problems so far. Messing around with recovery drives to fresh install seems like a bother

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

jokes posted:

Be sure to put a recovery image on a known-to-work USB drive, or a SD card (including using the Steam Deck itself to turn an SD card into a recovery disk. I did not do this and lost money and time hunting down a working drive.

Highly recommend getting a USB-C enclosure for your old SSD in case you need to do any post-installation transfers. I did this to make sure I could transfer saves and ROMs and modded games wholecloth onto the new SSD.

Consider not finishing up sealing your Steam Deck after the surgery until you can boot reliably.

Consider not cloning your old Steam Deck drive, and just starting fresh.

Yeah I’ve got an enclosure and dd-imaged everything over. I’ll expand the filesystems and such before I swap them, and if anything is hinky I’ll just re-image from one of my USB-C flash drives. Will definitely test before I put the back plate on (I’m swapping the back plate plus LR45 and L1 as well, on this little journey).

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

One thing that asus does that I think the deck should adopt is that you can do a full image restore from the bios. You just connect to your wifi and it sets everything back up fresh.

That is pretty cool.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I get what you're saying and totally agree, until I found moonlight/sunlight.I use my gaming PC a ton more now, But just not in the way I used to. Still my go to for m&k gaming (doom eternal, red alert 3, etc.), But it's basically been relegated to a deck streaming delivery system for better game performance and crazy deck battery life improvement.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Dunno, I wasn't even aware that was an issue because I haven't run into it (yet).

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Anyone try out Trepang 2 on steam deck yet?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

faantastic posted:

Whats the best charger I can buy to charge this + another device at the same time? Trying to keep my desk somewhat wirefree but don't want to buy one on Amazon that promises it'll charge it fine and then brick it somehow.

You could use a dock (or dongle with power passthrough) and a normal cable. For example this thing I used until it got too hot to handle. Plug Deck's charger into that, then plug that into the device you want to charge, using a second or third USB cable for the rest.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Anyone try out Trepang 2 on steam deck yet?

Also curious

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

PageMaster posted:

Was on a (very) long "break" to knock out tears of the kingdom, but jumping back in to dead space remake. Also trying to decide whether to jump back in and give cyberpunk another try one just wait for all the new patches and dlc to come out.

How is Cyberpunk on the Deck?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Communist Bear posted:

How is Cyberpunk on the Deck?

Has a Deck specific graphics setting, runs perfectly at 30fps. Though it is the most battery hungry game I have.

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

Trip report on Nova lands please. It's on my short list.

90 Minutes in. Deserves the green tick for sure, runs flawlessly (though I only have 8~ bots running around so far)

Seems like a smaller Forager (only 16 islands I think and skills in the 30s) which is kind of great, you also get access to automation very quickly which is also great. You have limited bot slots per island so trying to decide what to automate it a fun little problem.

I will say I am not entirely sure how much game there is here. It's definitely a lot smaller than Forager currently but that might actually be a good thing. The game I've played so far is a lot of fun and tickles my "have little robots doing chores for me" nerve very nicely.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

FuzzySlippers posted:

This is me. I actually really like the ES lore and I've played every TES game to death, but for some reason I just can't get into ESO. Even wandering around the cool Morrowind stuff I feel listless playing.

This thread, a full LP of everything Daggerfall-related (betas, demos, original DOS version and then Unity version), is pretty good so far. Might be up your alley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Ragequit posted:

When the kids have the Switch and are preventing me from playing Zelda ToTK, I am mainly playing Wild Arms on the Deck. When the Steam summer sale starts next week, I'll likely be adding these to the rotation:

Chained Echoes
LIVE A LIVE
Spider-Man: Miles Morales

Turns out Chained Echoes went on sale yesterday so I picked it up. It's real good! Love me some RPGs on the Deck.