Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Attn rog-havers

I guess they needed to one-up themselves after killing performance last update.

https://twitter.com/fanthedeck/status/1672023418403692549

Lmao they just can’t win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

It Keeps Happening

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Atoramos posted:

Decky can get uninstalled on some updates, but it's still around and amazing as ever?

Then I better put it right back!!

pig labeled 3
Jan 3, 2007

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Attn rog-havers

I guess they needed to one-up themselves after killing performance last update.

https://twitter.com/fanthedeck/status/1672023418403692549

Rock solid, heart touching

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

PantsBandit posted:

Powerwash Simulator is a powerful drug.

I hope they know that they have essentially unlimited dlc potential.

I will buy anything and everything released for it.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I don't understand how using the trackpad for aiming, which requires your thumb, to be better than gyro, if only for the fact that you don't necessarily need to press anything extra for gyro (unless you set it up that way).

If you really get used to the trackball emulation, you can get to the point where it's super easy to switch between big flicks for super fast turning and slower movements for tighter control. I don't necessarily agree that it's better than the gyro, but I can see how someone might prefer it. It's really, really good.

I had to force myself to stop using the analog sticks for first-person things (not that I play very many on the SD to be fair) but it was worth it imo.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Mad Max
AC Revelations
Yakuza 0

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

jokes posted:

How is Harvestella?

Harvestella is a fantastic videogame. It is a jrpg for babies that has a constellation of like 4 stats that Go Up. It is a Harvest Moon for weebs, every waifus and husbando has 10 vignettes where you get to say just the right thing to help them through whatever their deal is. All of the stories are rote, cozy, comfy Saturday morning cartoon storylines with family as an over arching theme. poo poo is wholesome and trad. It is also kinda fuckin wild when it goes tragic fantasy and utopian sci fi.

Both the farming and the arpg is basic for the genre, but the way they feed into each other is harmonious and complimentary. Player JRPG power is primarily driven upwards through Gilla blacksmith upgrades and backed by a steady stream of traditional exp. The Gilla all comes from the farm with only a few injections from the jrpg. The jrpg unlocks new farms to get more Gilla.

The production values are superb. Everything is so ornate, consistent, and considerate.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I hope they know that they have essentially unlimited dlc potential.

I will buy anything and everything released for it.

I wanna power wash the Millennium Falcon.
And a Jawa sand-crawler.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Honestly, companies that make power-washable sized things should be easy DLC targets.

“Power wash your new Ford™️®️ F-250®️™️ Superduty®️™️ Crew Cab™️®️™️™️ after a long day on the job site” would be an easy sell I’d think.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Having gone recently insane, I've dropped some cash on an XREAL pair of AR glasses to see I can use them as a portable screen for the deck such that I can use a bluetooth controller / relax my neck more as I play. Will report back.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Basic Chunnel posted:

Having gone recently insane, I've dropped some cash on an XREAL pair of AR glasses to see I can use them as a portable screen for the deck such that I can use a bluetooth controller / relax my neck more as I play. Will report back.

They're awesome, enjoy

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Some Saturday afternoon surgery: new SSD, replacing L1, and installing the JSAUX transparent-blue back case with the new {L,R}{4,5}

God bless iFixit and Valve. Can’t imagine doing this on my Switch.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Beastie posted:

And a Jawa sand-crawler.

Oh my sweet gently caress... :gizz:

Amazing.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

TraderStav posted:

They're awesome, enjoy

Zet
Aug 3, 2010
Did something happen with the user pages on the goon deck wiki? (Front page said something about spam bots) I had a talk page where I was taking notes but now it says something about not being able to do automatic user creation when I try to login. Username's Zet.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I love my Airs but I'm eager to see the next generation of XR screen replacement glasses. They are pretty drat close to being a perfect screen if they could get at least 1440p with more adjustments for IPD/focal distance/etc.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Atoramos posted:

what do I need to do once the drive gets here before I put it into the system? I don't care about keeping any of my data around, doing a full reinstall is fine (though I think everything I have should be on my SD card since I used cryo to move it over).

Still curious if all I gotta do is swap out the drives but I assume I need to install deck's OS onto the new drive first?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

FuzzySlippers posted:

I love my Airs but I'm eager to see the next generation of XR screen replacement glasses. They are pretty drat close to being a perfect screen if they could get at least 1440p with more adjustments for IPD/focal distance/etc.

What else do you use them for besides the steam deck? I want to get a pair but I also am already perfectly happy laying in bed playing deck

Do you get more use out of them somewhere else?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Atoramos posted:

Still curious if all I gotta do is swap out the drives but I assume I need to install deck's OS onto the new drive first?

You can either clone the existing drive onto the new one before you swap them by plugging it in with a caddy and doing some nerd poo poo in desktop mode, or you can put the recovery image on a usb drive and just install it clean off of that after you swap them.

https://help.steampowered.com/en/faqs/view/1B71-EDF2-EB6D-2BB3

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Beve Stuscemi posted:

What else do you use them for besides the steam deck? I want to get a pair but I also am already perfectly happy laying in bed playing deck

Before I returned mine they legit worked with everything else I tried. iPad , MBP , phone, and PC

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

MarcusSA posted:

Before I returned mine they legit worked with everything else I tried. iPad , MBP , phone, and PC

1) what made you return them

2) do they work on switch?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Beve Stuscemi posted:

1) what made you return them

2) do they work on switch?

The switch was the one thing I didn’t try but I want to say they would.

I returned them because for whatever reason the text was a bit blurry when using the deck. If I hooked them up to my phone or Odin pro the text was nice and sharp.

My wife noticed the same thing so it wasn’t just me. They are cool as hell but I also didn’t like I couldn’t charge and play at the same time unless I used a dongle of sorts.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
My issue with nreal is the static(non 3d0f) Image on deck.

I'm waiting on the adapter for it, but that's another 100 :(

They did just release an update for 144hz, but you need a compatible android phone to update, which I don't have.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Harminoff posted:

They did just release an update for 144hz, but you need a compatible android phone to update, which I don't have.

I don't move my head much when I play so that hasn't bothered me at all. I love being able to lie flat (or in any position) and play comfortably without forcing my neck into more screen viewing positions.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Phone and PS5 in addition to the deck. I get a lot of neck pain anymore and it's nice how you can have your neck at a comfortable angle and always have whatever you are watching/playing directly in front of you. For watching sports and playing controller-based games they are about my favorite way to do it. I can sit next to my wife while she plays whatever on the TV and have my own game going on a giant screen without awkwardly having two TVs in our living room.

For playing games with a lot of text or doing actual computer work I find the text too blurry. I'm not sure if it's because the focal distance is too far and my eyes just suck (text on my TV when sitting far away is hard to read) and the prescription inserts I got didn't help. Someone reported that a different xr glasses with ipd and angle adjustment they were able to make text less blurry.

Harminoff posted:

I don't have a phone that supports 3dof but when I tried the beta windows app on my laptop to have 3dof I didn't find the effect very interesting. A big advantage to the glasses is that the display is always in front of me at the perfect angle. Losing that so it can sit in space seems like a downgrade. Now, if it was higher resolution and I was using it to do work and I could put 3 or 4 displays floating in air and have the effect of multiple monitors that would be cool, but I don't see the advantage for the deck.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Is gyro controls tied only to games running on deck and designed to include it? Been playing way too much Zelda and everytime I aim in dead space I instinctively start swinging my deck everywhere. I'm running dead space on my desktop and streaming, and just installed battlebit on the deck itself. There like some automatic function to get gyro, or is it a matter of diving into the control settings and manually setting something up?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

FuzzySlippers posted:

For playing games with a lot of text or doing actual computer work I find the text too blurry.

Yeah this is the issue I had. It seemed fine on the Odin pro I tried it on but it might have been a resolution issue?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

PageMaster posted:

Is gyro controls tied only to games running on deck and designed to include it? Been playing way too much Zelda and everytime I aim in dead space I instinctively start swinging my deck everywhere. I'm running dead space on my desktop and streaming, and just installed battlebit on the deck itself. There like some automatic function to get gyro, or is it a matter of diving into the control settings and manually setting something up?
Any game that supports right stick or mouse aiming can be set to use gyro through Steam Input. You just have to enter the controller settings and turn it on, then set it to emulate either an analog stick or a mouse - mouse tends to be the preferred way IIRC. I think it has to be done per game. I think there are some games that natively support gyro on PC but they're few and far between because XInput as a controller standard doesn't support gyro.

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"

PageMaster posted:

you have to activate gyro in the controller settings, as well as a method to activate it. also if you're using moonlight to stream (instead of steam remote play) i don't think the gyro is passed through

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Thanks all, did a lot of tinkering and then did that you can just download community profiles that also did everything I was looking for! I don't actually like track pad look, but seems like a lot of people do and I'll bet it could be very dangerous in the right hands (not mine) in an online multiplayer shooter...

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I’ve used mine a whole bunch for weird stuff. The key for me is to use my mac and the Nebula software there to have a floating screen somewhere.

last night I put my partner streaming a game on a screen floating above the TV and scaled to about 3/4 the size of the TV. I could see the stream in the edge of my view and could attend to it just but glancing up.

I use it as a second screen on my laptop a bunch. I find the split screen AR thing a bit useful, but the field of view is pretty narrow. But yeah, I’ve used it for some light work on my laptop. Great for me to not have to look down at the screen.

I actually really like it for reading. The OLED means that white text on a black page appears to be just glowing words floating in the air. Put a kindle book on my iPad in landscape and turn on voice control to tell it to turn the page and I am basically in the cottagecore future.

Once I get that beam dongle I’m probably going to use it a bunch for recipes and car repair instructions and stuff like that.

I also use a series of dongles on the switch. Once I’ve got this in a good place, I’m going to print an enclosure and give it a more permanent custom arrangement. But I’m happy with it for a flight in a couple weeks!

Black block is power. This is needed to get the switch into docked mode.

White block is the Air adapter for the glasses.

Blue block is a compact switch hdmi dongle with usb.

You plug the power and adapter into the respective ports. There’s an 8bitdo 2 adapter on there too and I’m controlling the switch with an Xbox controller. I’ll probably forgo that and use joycons when traveling, though who knows!

Because the switch needs to be in docked mode to work, the attached controllers will not function so my HORI compact pad is out.

The Air adapter is battery-powered and can’t charge and run at the same time. Has about three hours of charge? Haven’t bumped into that yet.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Harminoff posted:

You can update them on any computer that can run chrome https://ota.xreal.com/en/air-update.html

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Anyone know if there is anyway to map touching a point on screen to a button press? Been playing Nintendo DS games on my deck and it would really improve the experience.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Trackpad and gyro set to mouse (trackpad set to mouse ball with medium friction), gyro activates on trackpad touch, set the in-game mouse sensitivity down and adjust the hardware sensitivity up accordingly. Flick the trackpad for quick turns, use regular thumb movements for wider aiming swings, use the gyro for fine aiming.

Works good for me, I can hold my own in online shooters really well. I never got on with setting the trackpad to joystick aiming, but I haven't tried it on the Deck, just the Steam Controller, so I might need to experiment.

Just curious what online shooters are you playing on deck? I know a number of games have problems with the anti cheat on deck

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

If the game uses iron sights a lot, map it to activate on L2 pull. If you want to try it all the time , which I’d recommend, map it to L3 touch.

Wow This is the way to go, thanks! I had always had the default activate on thumb stick touch, but having it only activate while ADS feels perfect and I can't believe I never thought of it. The only issue in running into (again, dead space), is that it appears if gyro is active the stick stops working, so while I'm aiming and moving the stick at the same time, it "jitters" where there are micromoments that the stick stops registering because I moved just enough to engage the gyro a little. I know she games like Halo MCC won't let both most and gamepad control all the the same time so I'm guessing it's the same issue here and not the deck control setup in. If it is the deck, how would I fix this?

Thanks!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

If the game doesn't support gamepad and mouse at the same time you either switch to a wasd and mouse mapping or switch your gyro mapping to joystick. Mouse is preferable because you'll get more precision.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Harminoff posted:

You can update them through your PC via a web browser.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Kwolok posted:

Just curious what online shooters are you playing on deck? I know a number of games have problems with the anti cheat on deck

I like playing Halo MCC, Battlebit (for now), and the occasional round of DoD.

MCC works brilliantly as long as you set the launch option for Easy Cheat or whatever. (it works opposite as intended)

Battlebit works at the moment and rules, but the 3 man dev teams is moving away to an anti-cheat method that excludes Linux. From what I have been told by goons and redditors, it is likely that some community servers will stick with the old system but I wouldn't count on it (or for them to even be populated).

DoD rules but I suck. Not even going to try CS.

MCC on the couch as I watch Silicon Valley or something rules though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Hold on... Are you all talking about glasses that display your game screen on them? For real??