Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
The most obvious one is when they execute the truck guards but you see it with some of the pistol shots as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Oh gotcha, that's make sense for safety reasons for sure

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Grendels Dad posted:

*leans over to Narcissus* That's Cecep Rahman, the assassin from The Raid 2/Ruhian's bro in John Wick 3.

Ah poo poo, sorry! They're both rad :(

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Narcissus1916 posted:

Ah poo poo, sorry! They're both rad :(

They are, and Ruhian is much more likely to get exposure due to being a badass in The Raid, so it's good you posted something of Rahman!

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Oh gotcha, that's make sense for safety reasons for sure

And honestly the only reason I noticed it was the discussion that's been going on the past few days. And seriously the sound of the shot is just so good that I had never noticed it until last night. It just echos perfectly under the bridge

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I remember being in the theater watching Heat when it first came out, and when the big gunfight in front of the bank kicked off, seeing people sitting in front of me putting their hands over their ears. poo poo was LOUD.

As an aside, I used to work in that building where the bank was supposed to be, and I never walked around that intersection a single time without thinking about that amazing scene.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Narcissus1916 posted:

I'll go more modern - here's the best fight scene from Warrior . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uexp4-j6lSk

Plenty of homages to Bruce Lee as well

actually the best is when bisping dies

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

I watched John Woo's The Killer today - if the Barbie movie caused global shortages of pink paint, this must have done the same for squibs. So much incredibly ridiculous action, just sequence after sequence of Chow Yun-Fat shooting dudes (interspersed with scenes of melodrama, as a breather)

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Tart Kitty posted:

Cobra

Where to start? It's a 1986 Stallone vehicle "adapted" from a book about a detective named Marion Cobretti, who is part of the "Zombie Squad," drives a turbo-charged Mercury Monterey with the license plate "AWSOME 50," and is tasked with protecting a model played by Brigitte Nielsen from a cult of axe murderers called the New Order. You know how sometimes there is a fake, over-the-top action movie playing on a tv screen in the background as a gag in other movies? Cobra is that movie, but for real. And it's great.

Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoGoSu4NEyo

Pizza Etiquette:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SxN_U2H0Xc

Obligatory Robot Model Fashion Shoot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0luO0VYh5o

Watch Cobra.

The 1995 movie with Cindy Crawford and one of the Baldwins Fair Game is also based on the same novel.

Cosmatos' original cut of Cobra movie was like three hours long but the cowards shortened it to 89 minutes. :( But I also LOL at that forever because they all agreed that the "Your burger's ready hurrhahahurrr" part where he has the giant hamburger prop absolutely must stay in.

There's a four-installment Italian knockoff of Cobra starring Fred Williamson titled............... BLACK COBRA

Black Cobras 2 and 3 take place in the Philippines like15 years apart from each other because the third one has him teaming up with the now adult son of his partner from the last film but they were obviously filmed one right after the other and the son is the only character that aged at all.

Anyway in constrat to Cobra cutting pizza with shears, in the Fred Williamson take he spends most of his home life conversing with his cat Purrvis and trying to convince him to eat the cheapass cat food he buys instead of the good stuff he ran out of. Very good "yep, it's an 80s cop movie" sountracks too.

Black Cobra 2 and 3 have my absolute two favorite stupid chief chews out the maverick cop sequences ever in any movies lol, go to 8m45s here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWkoctkCl9A

Also god-tier title card execution imo gently caress yes lol at 2m14s this poo poo cracks me the gently caress up every time

Anyway Black Cobra 4 is just called Detective Malone and almost the entire movie is made up of unused/test footage and like pickup shots of Fred Williamson from the first movie (they even somehow made the villain of the first movie the villain again) with maybe a few minutes of newly shot footage of people in a room talking about stuff. It's not really what I'd call uh "watchable" lol Completely loving insane dub voice choice for Fred Williamson too.

So here's the whole series if you all want:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2L1KpH_Tzf4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhwOLbE7qVw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqtmlNhjxRg

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Seanbaby had the best summary of Williamson "Still, anyone can admire the frugality in this scene from Black Cobra 3. Both the soundtrack and the dialogue were legally too stupid to pay for, and Fred massacres a gang in a grocery store while destroying only one candle, one package of cookies and one roll of toilet paper. If Fred Williamson made John Carter, it would have been called Spaceman Brown: Chocolate Motherfucker, and it would have turned a $250 million profit."

He's still alive and was in the not very good but extremely, impressively violent 'VFW' with Stephen Lang a couple of years back.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Speaking of Fred Williamson, he made a movie in the 70s called Boss N-word, a western whose content could not possibly live up to that title, and it didn't. I feel like a lot of his movies were like that: an insane premise but too little budget to make it right. You can still find the insanely catchy and confrontational theme song on youtube.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Snowman_McK posted:

Seanbaby had the best summary of Williamson "Still, anyone can admire the frugality in this scene from Black Cobra 3. Both the soundtrack and the dialogue were legally too stupid to pay for, and Fred massacres a gang in a grocery store while destroying only one candle, one package of cookies and one roll of toilet paper. If Fred Williamson made John Carter, it would have been called Spaceman Brown: Chocolate Motherfucker, and it would have turned a $250 million profit."

He's still alive and was in the not very good but extremely, impressively violent 'VFW' with Stephen Lang a couple of years back.

He also stumped for Trump so gently caress him but yeah, he's in a lot of fun schlock.

My favorite thing about that scene in Black Cobra 3 is that, well, like in Black Cobra 2 it gets more obvious in the latter half of the movie how much they have to film around him being a bit older/etc. But that scene Seanbaby is describing in Black Cobra 3 the entire rest of the cast has to move in slow motion so that he can beat them all lol

dokmo posted:

Speaking of Fred Williamson, he made a movie in the 70s called Boss N-word, a western whose content could not possibly live up to that title, and it didn't. I feel like a lot of his movies were like that: an insane premise but too little budget to make it right. You can still find the insanely catchy and confrontational theme song on youtube.

That movie's pretty good but yeah, not quite up to par. Blazing Saddles came out the same year too.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Narcissus1916 posted:

I'd also argue that mission impossible is that rare film franchise that has on the whole gotten better and better.

Mission Impossible 1: more thriller than action movie and hilariously 90s.

MI-2: John Woo does Hollywood should have printed money and critical acclaim. Instead, it takes for-loving-ever to get the ball rolling. Also really ugly gender politics at play here too; the Bond girl ripoff feels super sexist and way way worse than I remember.

MI-3: JJ Abrams does good stuff. Action scenes are kind've a mess but Hoffman's performance is loving great. Abrams also gives Ethan Hunt a character with real traits and flaws! Mind-blowing.

Ghost Protocol: Super inventive and fun action set pieces. I adore the Kremlin scenes almost as much as the iconic Burj Khalifa sequence. The creative team also remembered that Ethan Hunt should have a team instead of a One Man Army. The actual team isn't all that great, but this thread is picked up by...

Rogue Nation: Under-rated. There's a classic spy set-up at an opera that kicks the everloving poo poo out of most Bond movies. There are sniper rifle flutes! As a whole, this hangs together way better than it has any right to. Tom Cruise has a reputation for being an egomaniac but he seems much more aware than other action stars. This film regularly kicks he crap out of Ethan, and I love that his team members actually get to contribute and be more than an Ethan Hunt cheering section.

Fallout: One of the best action films of the past decade, possibly longer?

I agree, to an extent. The first M:I is indeed '90s as hell and the twists are hilariously predictable in retrospect, but it's also DePalma as hell and it holds up well in terms of pacing. Pretty much every scene is perfectly edited, even though some bits (like the bit in the hotel when Ethan meets with Max and they scan the disk) aren't particularly well-explained.

M:I 2 is an absolute loving mess, but it's fun to watch when I'm high as poo poo, because it's luscious, visually, and Cruise, Newton and Dougray Scott are all hamming it up. Zimmer's score was great, too. But it makes no sense and I want to see Woo's original 3.5-hour cut (which was considered unwatchable by Paramount's execs).

I don't like M:I 3 at all outside of PSH's performance, which is indeed excellent. It's not even a half-baked script, it's a raw script that maybe sat in the microwave for 30 seconds. Ironically, because the movie made a fuckton of money for Paramount, it got Orci and Kurtzman (and eventually Abrams) the jobs of writing and directing Star Trek 2009.

Ghost Protocol is my platonic ideal of a Mission: Impossible movie, it has everything going for it and it's infinitely rewatchable.

I have to admit that I'm cooler on the McQuarrie movies than most. Rogue Nation and Fallout aren't bad, per se, but I think their scripts are a little bloated and I don't much care for McQuarrie as a director. They also suffer from the casting; I don't much care for Sean Harris as Solomon Lane (and Lane himself is kind of a lovely villain), and Baldwin's character is kind of useless. Cavill was a lot of fun in Fallout, I guess.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Yeah, I agree on McQuarrie. He's not a bad director by any means, but he's not really more than workmanlike either. He's relying on Cruise and the stunt team to carry everything, whereas with De Palma, Woo and Bird even the expository scenes had that extra flair to elevate them. (He's better than Abrams, though.)

I'm left wondering if Cruise likes him as director enough to keep hiring him because he gets the job done to an acceptable level and will do what he's told by his star/producer/boss.

Also agree on III's script being a mess, but I'm sure I've ranted about that earlier in the thread.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

What do you guys mean about the script being a mess? Just rewatched 3 so it's fresh in my mind.

The thing that stands out to me with 3 is that ostensibly it's a team movie but the rest of the team is deliberately written out of the ending and I don't miss them anyway. Maggie Q and Rhys Myers were odd casting choices, like they cheaped out or were making something for TV. There was nothing to them to care about and there was a sense they were expendable.

Four and beyond are so good partly because they have good teams and they are used to the very end.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Who cares if the script is good or not, it’s all about the cool stunts and technology lol

The problem with 2 isn’t really it’s story, it’s just the wrong vibe for this franchise and it’s kinda stinky for it

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Lobok posted:

What do you guys mean about the script being a mess? Just rewatched 3 so it's fresh in my mind..
My main beef with the script is that it tries to cover laziness with a smugly sardonic air of "look how clever and transgressive we're being by messing with the audience's expectations". After all, writing a tense high-tech heist sequence like the vault scene from M:I1 is hard, so instead let's just cut to Ethan jumping out of the building with the Rabbit's Foot! (Which we're also not going to explain, because we hold you in contempt. Hey, at least we didn't call it The MacGuffin!) That way we can just have a simple action scene with lots of camera shake and greenscreen and shouting rather than anything difficult.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Neo Rasa posted:

The 1995 movie with Cindy Crawford and one of the Baldwins Fair Game is also based on the same novel.
I love reading about movies I never heard of. Lets check it out!!

Uh...

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
It's hard to separate the most obvious divisive point about M:I 3, the fact that they never really tell you anything about the Rabbit's Foot, from my knowledge that it's JJ Abrams. The guy that did Alias and Lost doing a big blockbuster sequel movie where the joke is "you never actually find out what the MacGuffin is" feels a bit insulting but I guess if it was any other director I might not be as annoyed by it. My instinctual reaction to that is hey JJ if you want to make dumb meta jokes about your own questionable storytelling reputation, gently caress off and do it elsewhere, don't mess around with Mission Impossible.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Payndz posted:

My main beef with the script is that it tries to cover laziness with a smugly sardonic air of "look how clever and transgressive we're being by messing with the audience's expectations". After all, writing a tense high-tech heist sequence like the vault scene from M:I1 is hard, so instead let's just cut to Ethan jumping out of the building with the Rabbit's Foot! (Which we're also not going to explain, because we hold you in contempt. Hey, at least we didn't call it The MacGuffin!) That way we can just have a simple action scene with lots of camera shake and greenscreen and shouting rather than anything difficult.

Basebf555 posted:

It's hard to separate the most obvious divisive point about M:I 3, the fact that they never really tell you anything about the Rabbit's Foot, from my knowledge that it's JJ Abrams. The guy that did Alias and Lost doing a big blockbuster sequel movie where the joke is "you never actually find out what the MacGuffin is" feels a bit insulting but I guess if it was any other director I might not be as annoyed by it. My instinctual reaction to that is hey JJ if you want to make dumb meta jokes about your own questionable storytelling reputation, gently caress off and do it elsewhere, don't mess around with Mission Impossible.

Not showing the heist and not explaining the MacGuffin both feel like a consequence of intensely personalizing the movie for Hunt, and especially putting the countdown scene at the start (hey I just realized this movie has a classic Countdown Sequence but instead makes it a negotiation). I wouldn't say no to seeing the cool heist Hunt pulls off but I wonder if it would have dragged things out too much because what we're really antsy for is the imminent resolution to the Hoffman scene we know is coming next.

Maybe it's too early in the franchise for it, but it also reminds me of that one race they never show in F&F (5 or 6?) where the team needs cars so they race for pink slips and they just cut to the part where they've won the cars. The audience knows the heros are that good, let's skip a part and move on. What I think actually sucks about not showing the heist is that what we get instead is Q and Rhys Myers sharing some Characterization Quality Time in the van and it sucks, which is what I was saying before about the team in 3 not being good. Thinking about it again, it does seem weird that they don't actually skip the *whole* heist because they make a big show of how to get Hunt into the building.

The MacGuffin, I don't know. Like I said, I just rewatched it a couple nights ago and at the end I had totally forgotten until Hunt asks that I didn't even know what it was supposed to be. I guess I was fine with the "Anti-God" (lol) suggestion Benji makes earlier in the film. To be honest I wasn't really interested in what it was. From Bond and M:I and any other number of spy/thriller movies I have seen a million nukes and virus plots and so I guess I didn't even really think twice about what interesting twist they were going to try to put on it. It kind of sounded like a "grey goo" weapon but the canister didn't look like that's what it'd be.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jun 26, 2023

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Cage posted:

I love reading about movies I never heard of. Lets check it out!!

Uh...
Fair Game's entire thing seemed to be "Cindy Crawford! Come see Cindy Crawford in an action thriller!" and not much else. The car chase is kinda fun (it's basically a 1.0 version of the car transporter chase from Bad Boys 2) and Steven Berkoff hams it up as exactly the same character he plays in First Blood 2 and Octopussy, but that's about it.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
MI3 was actually my favorite, even if the action isn't the series' best I like good action with great acting and scene chewing and there's really no way to top PSH. Every generic Nordic Guy Who Wants to Nuke the World villain they've had since then only greater highlights this. It's not a series where the acting or characterizations have to matter or be good, but when they are it just elevates everything.
For me the low point just coincided with shoving in more lovely jokes and Simon Pegg screentime, so around Ghost Protocol. I thought that was dire, I'm sure it had great stunts, maybe the best of the series but the full package was so obnoxious and whatever.
Like, they had this nice solid ensemble in 3 (including Larry Fishburne) and then decided they'd raise the Pegg Wisecracking and Screentime by like 35% and bring in Jeremy Renner to ramble blandly about Serbians.
Long story short, there had been such a black hole of charisma since Hoffman that Henry Cavill coming in was like a breath of fresh air. Like imagine how something like Rogue Nation would immediately be 200% better if like, Gary Oldman or someone of his caliber was playing "Solomon Lane"/Insert Villain.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jun 26, 2023

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I want villains that are charismatic and fun in my mission impossible films and my deepest apologies to Sean Harris and Michael Nyqvist (it's not like it's their fault they're not as good as a Hoffman or Oldman) but it has just been this interminable morass of blandness that only accentuates the repetitive generic plots (gonna have an AI generate a new Mission Impossible script where a Scandinavian is trying to Nuke the World to Save it and also Ethan Hunt is being hunted by the international intelligence community).
Again, this is a series where it's all about the action obviously, it just shines most for me when the other stuff is also pretty great.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
What does tickle me about Fallout though is so this terrorist mastermind is such a dipshit that if Ethan Hunt hadn't saved him during that lightning storm jump he would have just killed himself before he could initiate his evil plans and there'd just be no movie lmao

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I dont ever remember liking Jeremy Renner in these movies

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Renner is definitely good in some things sometimes but man he was like a sleep aid in mission impossible. And please please restrict Pegg to like, one or two jokes per movie and he just kind of has to be behind a computer and only has like 5 minutes total screentime. I like Simon Pegg in other things, it's not his fault, but ugh.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
I don't want to be contrarian but I think Pegg does a great job, almost as great as Rhames. The only supporting character who really fell flat for me in the last 3 was Paula Patton. It didn't seem like they knew what to do with her.

Then Ferguson showed up and blew the doors off. But she had more to work with than all the other leading ladies combined. I think she's actually the secret sauce to MI not getting stale and have high hopes for 7.

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jun 27, 2023

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Ferguson is fantastic and adds so much to the series.

Vin Diesel and The Rock famously refuse to lose a single fight in any of their movies. Yep, you read that right. Would "hurt their image" or some bullshit. If you're curious why Fast and Furious ends so many of their fight scenes with a contrivance well, there you go.

Contrast this to Tom Cruise, who doesn't mind letting Ferguson (and to a lesser extent, Pegg) save the day. One aspect of the recent MI movies I like is just how scrappy Tom Cruise's Ethan is. Dude gets his rear end kicked pretty regularly and can take one hell of a beating.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Narcissus1916 posted:

Ferguson is fantastic and adds so much to the series.

Vin Diesel and The Rock famously refuse to lose a single fight in any of their movies. Yep, you read that right. Would "hurt their image" or some bullshit. If you're curious why Fast and Furious ends so many of their fight scenes with a contrivance well, there you go.

Contrast this to Tom Cruise, who doesn't mind letting Ferguson (and to a lesser extent, Pegg) save the day. One aspect of the recent MI movies I like is just how scrappy Tom Cruise's Ethan is. Dude gets his rear end kicked pretty regularly and can take one hell of a beating.

Whether or not the first part is true, the thing about The Rock or Vin is that it's mostly irrelevant whether they win it's how rarely it feels like they could lose. People love a hero who is tenacious, who keeps getting up. We already assume they'll win but feeling that visceral struggle with them before they do is a big part of the appeal.

The fight between Statham and Vin on top of the parking garage is supposed to be this brutal thing on paper but for how hard each of them hits the other it's too clean and inconsequential. It starts with a head-on car crash but you wouldn't know it to look at them when they get out. Dom has a white shirt and it's about as roughed up by the end of the fight as if he went to the attic to look for an old yearbook.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I am not a heightist, but I met Simon Pegg and he is even shorter than Giovanni Ribisi, who I once described as a ‘magical elf’.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Full disclosure, I have never seen this film. And I thought Seagal fighting while sitting in a chair was a meme, not a real thing from a real film.

And fighting from the chair at the beginning is not even the worst thing about this scene.

Anyway, after watching this short clip I think I have no intention of ever seeing the film.

https://youtu.be/EJ0nsaABbDo

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Remulak posted:

I am not a heightist, but I met Simon Pegg and he is even shorter than Giovanni Ribisi, who I once described as a ‘magical elf’.

Maybe that is why Cruise likes to have him in his movies, like taking your ugly friend with you when you go out to meet girls to seem more handsome than you are.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Wow okay that suddenly explains a lot about the increase of Pegg in this series if he's from hobbiton like Tom Cruise

Just replace him with Danny devito, Tom!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Well, just for variety of views, I gotta chime in on being a big Fast fan. Really cool fun wild magical series. I like it a lot better than the MI movies, although those have their moments. And the first two are my favs of MI, 2 is underrated to me, big Woo fan.

That Dom (Vin) is not in enough peril or we don't think he'll lose etc, there are several styles of action. Although James Bond is sometimes in peril, a big chunk of the series is about him being so cool that he's barely fazed by what is happening. And his winning is generally not in question. What makes a movie engaging or entertaining, there are a lot of variables there. I personally find the Fast movies engaging and entertaining, and I'm rooting for Dom, the Buddha of the road.

You have the John McClane in Die Hard 1 school, the bloody guy who seems up against the odds etc, although still cocky and crazy enough to be entertaining. "Really" realistic thrillers are like a different category. On the other side of McClane you have say John Matrix from Commando, who is one of those we know he'll win with ease kind of characters. Commando still rules of course.

And there are other varieties, but in general sometimes either being ridiculously slick or like an unstoppable steamroller can both be fun to have in an action movie.

Plus everything is formulas, if an action hero loses a fight, that generally just means they'll win the rematch at the end of the movie. And that can be just as autopilot and unengaging as anything. Though I do love Rocky 3 of course.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
One thing about James Bond and also the majority of the Mission Impossible films is that they're travelogue films. They go to interesting and exotic locations and actually shoot there. Fast & Furious has gone the other direction where everything is greenscreened to death and most of the locations are nothing more than a quick aerial establishing shot, at best. That's probably the biggest area where I feel like F&F has lost it's way.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Heavy Metal posted:

Well, just for variety of views, I gotta chime in on being a big Fast fan. Really cool fun wild magical series. I like it a lot better than the MI movies, although those have their moments. And the first two are my favs of MI, 2 is underrated to me, big Woo fan.

That Dom (Vin) is not in enough peril or we don't think he'll lose etc, there are several styles of action. Although James Bond is sometimes in peril, a big chunk of the series is about him being so cool that he's barely fazed by what is happening. And his winning is generally not in question. What makes a movie engaging or entertaining, there are a lot of variables there. I personally find the Fast movies engaging and entertaining, and I'm rooting for Dom, the Buddha of the road.

You have the John McClane in Die Hard 1 school, the bloody guy who seems up against the odds etc, although still cocky and crazy enough to be entertaining. "Really" realistic thrillers are like a different category. On the other side of McClane you have say John Matrix from Commando, who is one of those we know he'll win with ease kind of characters. Commando still rules of course.

And there are other varieties, but in general sometimes either being ridiculously slick or like an unstoppable steamroller can both be fun to have in an action movie.

Plus everything is formulas, if an action hero loses a fight, that generally just means they'll win the rematch at the end of the movie. And that can be just as autopilot and unengaging as anything. Though I do love Rocky 3 of course.

But the fight I'm talking about, it doesn't fit any of the bills you're talking about. He doesn't win with ease. It's a tie, really, until the attack helicopter shows up. Their fight is like two superhumans who can just barely hurt each other and who also don't really cause damage to much else around them.

I'm not disparaging the whole series, here. The talk was about how Dom/Vin is different than Hunt/Cruise and one of the action scenes that sticks out to sell that difference is that parking garage street fight.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
There's definitely a switch in the M:I series (with 3 the tipping point) between Ethan as a continuation of Cruise's Top Gun/Days of Thunder/Cocktail/Color of Money characters, where he's all about cool and swagger and cocky charm, and the later films where he repeatedly gets the poo poo kicked out of him but just will. Not. Give. Up, and he literally risks his life for the sake of a cool shot in a movie.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Youtube randomly put this in my queue and god drat, Jean Paul Belmondo was the Tom Cruise/Jackie Chan of the 1970's.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MAPSs5v8Ck

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

CeeJee posted:

Youtube randomly put this in my queue and god drat, Jean Paul Belmondo was the Tom Cruise/Jackie Chan of the 1970's.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MAPSs5v8Ck
drat, the bit with the dump truck. :stare: One of those "random chance could have led to the film's star breaking several bones or having his head smashed open by a basketball-sized rock" moments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Jean Paul Belmondo was also in the best adaptation of Les Miserables, made back in the mid 90s. It's an absolutely amazing film.