Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde
the thread gets focused when stuff happens

right now we're between lightning strikes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

spacemang_spliff posted:

well start a new one or just ride out the derails

No. It seems pretty appropriate to complain about how a thread isnt what it is supposed to be and how it isn't working right anymore in the economics thread.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Xaris posted:

fine here's some economic news: Biden is still draining the SPR to keep the gas prices artificially low https://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/hist/LeafHandler.ashx?n=PET&s=WCSSTUS1&f=W

dems are worried about their re-election chances if gas prices spike to >$5

gonna lol when something happens where the reserve is actually needed and there's nothing there

like how obama sold off all the PPE reserves and trump didn't refill and oops covid happened

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

skooma512 posted:

I'm still incredulous the bottom hasn't fallen out already. Who is still out here going to restaurants and buying random crap all the time, the price of everything is up and I can't stand paying the elevated prices and avoid purchases as much as possible.

I need to eat and my cat needs his meds and eye-poppingly expensive vet visits.

spacemang_spliff posted:

just ride out the derails

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

In Training posted:

Did they never refill this.

They made some purchases, but they are still releasing more than purchasing due to past legislation requiring these releases.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

actionjackson posted:

they have a gay beer

wtf is a gay beer?

gay bear maybe?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/BusinessInsider/status/1674802094174248960?s=20

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

I agree with you but I think that's where most people's heads are at. there are a ton of people I talk to at work who are very ambiently aware that everything is hosed but hey, 2-day delivery still works right?

I have a sneaking suspicion that Biden admin is gonna pull the same strike breaking poo poo they did with rail workers on UPS if a strike actually seems close to happening. the private trucking routes will be declared important for national security or w/e and they'll delay negotiations for 6 months and then declare striking for truckers illegal or something. The economic impact is too damaging to even consider

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..

In Training posted:

Did they never refill this.

If I remember correctly not only did we not refill it we sold a bunch of it too.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

spacemang_spliff posted:

I hope the scrotus just precipitated a recession and wall st crooks jumping out of windows
lol my man you’re acting as if those Wall Street crooks won’t get a massive government bailout when a recession kicks in

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Xaris posted:

I think it's pretty good on the mean, but it's sinusoidal in terms of goodness and dips and peaks with varying frequency and duration. it has always been like that

Need a 100 day moving average on post quality to be certain.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Abner Assington posted:

lol my man you’re acting as if those Wall Street crooks won’t get a massive government bailout when a recession kicks in

i said i hope they die not that i think they will

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Mr Hootington posted:

No. It seems pretty appropriate to complain about how a thread isnt what it is supposed to be and how it isn't working right anymore in the economics thread.

I would say student loans being restarted and someone getting stuck at the airport along with thousands of others due to corporate malfeasance is cogent to economics?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

skooma512 posted:

I would say student loans being restarted and someone getting stuck at the airport along with thousands of others due to corporate malfeasance is cogent to economics?

Why are you this stupid?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

one does not "discuss" economics, one only posts technical analysis

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Mr Hootington posted:

This thread is so bad now lol

thread title

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Mr Hootington posted:

Why are you this stupid?

thread title

edit: oh wait yeah, the beer and generation derail. I already forgot those even happened but I can see what you mean now.

skooma512 has issued a correction as of 20:42 on Jun 30, 2023

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

a dece six and a half figgies ain't what it used to be

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

spacemang_spliff posted:

so like a basis point is just a fancy way of saying % right

A basis point is .01%

So when they say 25 basis points they mean .25%

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

DancingShade posted:

The blood vessels in your eyes were probably bleeding from high blood pressure. Good luck!

idk man I went to an opthamologist and he checked my eyes he didn’t mention seeing anything like that. That does sound scary though.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Azuth0667 posted:

Lol, someone is angry they aren't ik anymore. Thread is fine, today is just a bad day. We need a month of red numbers :pray:

We're due for some incredible content somewhen within the next 6 months, not everything is a blazing storm of lmao.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/business/status/1674852057184862224?s=20

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Xaris posted:

I think it's pretty good on the mean, but it's sinusoidal in terms of goodness and dips and peaks with varying frequency and duration. it has always been like that

I think we could definitely do without the pages-long derails about dumb bullshit that I invariably pgdwn through and which stifle discussion about the stuff that's actually happening like the airlines having a staffing strike or the Supreme Court announcing a massive recession is going to happen in October.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

ESPN delenda est

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Mr Hootington posted:

Wall Street wants a recession for the lower classes so the lower classes lose the little bit of leverage they gained during covid. A good way of doing that is through debt peonage which will be going into overdrive now.

We will see what happens, but all analysis point towards a Thanos snap recession when student loans start.

Gotta punish labor for thinking they could get uppity the moment their betters loosened up the leash just a tiny bit. Grinding the working class's collective nose into the minimum-wage dungpile.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

they got rid of jeff van gundy but kept fuckin mark jackson

also how could espn possibly not be making money hand over fist?

also also yeah generations derails suck don't do those

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1674800568328675330?t=N5vDbU0XmaplyKDmoNvYww&s=19

https://twitter.com/mistergusano/status/1674801775424196619?t=OUD2MpVqaq2xKQCEBvf1rQ&s=19

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Mr Hootington posted:

the appropriate response would be to make posts that have a competitive advantage in this slack posting market, so get to it

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Mr Hootington posted:

Wall Street wants a recession for the lower classes so the lower classes lose the little bit of leverage they gained during covid. A good way of doing that is through debt peonage which will be going into overdrive now.

We will see what happens, but all analysis point towards a Thanos snap recession when student loans start.

Assuming the AI bubble doesn't pop and take down that 10ish percent it's grown things with it first, possibly catalyzing the long coming silicon valley crash.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Long thread of the breakdown on the preferred fed measure of inflstion.
https://twitter.com/jasonfurman/status/1674766046387924993?t=EWh7p5ryYLGkeK3mnZagOA&s=19

Long story short is some ways of cutting it make it look like it is doing what the fed wants, but other ways make it look like it is still too high. Overall though it is probably still running too high. Fed will stay higher for longer on the rates.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Mr Hootington posted:

Long thread of the breakdown on the preferred fed measure of inflstion.
https://twitter.com/jasonfurman/status/1674766046387924993?t=EWh7p5ryYLGkeK3mnZagOA&s=19

Long story short is some ways of cutting it make it look like it is doing what the fed wants, but other ways make it look like it is still too high. Overall though it is probably still running too high. Fed will stay higher for longer on the rates.

DICK WOLF did a podcast on the history of inflation measures once that I can’t find now. surprisingly it’s made up bullshit

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Very cool Delaware!

quote:

AN ACT TO AMEND THE CHARTER OF THE CITY OF SEAFORD RELATING TO THE CITY'S ABILITY TO AUTHORIZE ARTIFICIAL ENTITIES, LIMITED LIABILITY CORPORATIONS' PARTNERSHIPS AND TRUSTS TO VOTE IN MUNICIPAL ELECTIONS HELD IN SEAFORD.

This bill would allow the City of Seaford to authorize artificial entities, limited liability corporations' partnerships, and trusts to vote in Municipal elections held in Seaford following the principle of "one person/entity/one vote"

"Progressives" Wilson, Neal, and Morrison voted for this lmao

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Disney is gonna sell ESPN to Apple or Amazon

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1674861611306082324?s=20

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Truniht
Jan 10, 2019

So what happens to an economy when you inject half a trillion of debt assets in the market that are soon to become all delinquent

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Mr Hootington posted:

They've already said there's two more rate hikes in the pipeline over the next two months. Unlikely to cut rates in 2024 (this is a lie).

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Truniht posted:

So what happens to an economy when you inject half a trillion of debt assets in the market that are soon to become all delinquent

Number

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

where are your fave sours in mpls?

Fair State is a unionized co-op so you should buy their stuff IMHO. Dunno if they have any sours right now.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Mr Hootington posted:

No it hasn't. People keep saying this dumbshit. The thread was always driven by a handful of people posting and trying to talk about economic news while another handful just posted inane poo poo about how to become a landlord or why their mid 6 figgies isn't enough.

Thread has gone bad.

you're confusing the thread with PFC. remove him and all those topics fade away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Raskolnikov38 posted:

you're confusing the thread with PFC. remove him and all those topics fade away

turn on your monitor. Seriously, quit grousing about the level of content, we'll all be enjoying more content then we really want not so far from now.