Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Xaris posted:

what comes next after wide swaths of the masses are deemed useless for profit is ???????????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Hmm, If I had to spend 6-8 hours in the office for culture and patience, I might ask the hiring manager (Harsh) to engage in honorable combat. I see your kirpan, let's rock buddy.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Jel Shaker posted:

isn’t the usual answer neo-feudalism, except with rome supplanted by AI god and the pope being peter thiel
i dunno. neo-feudalism still belies that the labor of the serfs serves purpose, or required, in the lord's accumulation of wealth. iirc the neo is often framed in a more contemporary Corporate replacement of the Lord with various forms of indebted servitude in exchange for bare minimum 'necessities'. we've already had indebted servitude for decades now, just with friendly guises, and without the guarantee of 'bare minimum necessities'.

that's not saying the need for labor has gone away, much of it is still required to keep the system lubricated, but a lot of it isn't needed anymore and it was largely the big dominance of a service economy that masked it. likewise the labor that is still needed is not being compensated and that labor already can't procure more than the absolute necessities (if even that) and definitely declining access to circuses/treats.

but maybe. for a lot of people that would be a substantial improvement over their status quo to sign away their life/organs working for costco compound #69690 in exchange for a guaranteed on-site dorm room and 3x rob reinehart soylent slop meals a day. there's still a big gap between now and that

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Xaris posted:

arguably america has always been a plutonomy, that's not new. we've heading far beyond the event horizon of the planar coordinates that once defined plutonomy into something worse. where the system once needed the labor of the masses to generate wealth, wide swaths of masses and much labor itself is now irrelevant to generating wealth as the transition to fully fictious finance capital economy has subsumed it. the transition to a service economy in the 80s-90s was a preceding component, but even now the service economy is largely negligible for profit seeking and much less labor is needed to cater to a small segment of the whales from whom the profit now flows

what comes next after wide swaths of the masses are deemed useless for profit is ???????????

an economy can never be fully fictitious or financial. the transition to a service economy reflected the imperial core bourgeoisie's striving for material independence of the local proletariat through leveraging labor in the periphery, as far as possible reducing imperial core labor to non-critical functions such that they could not threaten the system's stability by withholding labor anymore. its contribution is supposed to be negligible; this was a central element of the wholly decentralized economic relations produced under cybernetic capitalism. as of covid, that's been ending. as the imperial core increasingly loses its hold on the periphery, the core bourgeoisie correspondingly becomes forced to increasingly rely on the local proletariat again, which is why they're bringing home the oppressive measures once reserved for the periphery. the machinery will do whatever it can to maintain stability of the system. it will do so by a kind of verticalization of the current horizontal structure, i.e., a smaller system that presses down on the local proletariat rather than co-opting it as well paid office workers administrating the machinery which exploits the periphery, and it will be worse for american and european workers, who will experience intensified exploitation and worsening material conditions, but potentially better for the periphery.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

i dont need this i need a way to record myself sitting looking at the camera and then play it on seamless loop as a virtual camera w/ AI to lipsync it. then I can just not even be facing the work laptop

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
"hmm i'm having connection issues, gonna turn my camera off"

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Zodium posted:

an economy can never be fully fictitious or financial. the transition to a service economy reflected the imperial core bourgeoisie's striving for material independence of the local proletariat through leveraging labor in the periphery, as far as possible reducing imperial core labor to non-critical functions such that they could not threaten the system's stability by withholding labor anymore. its contribution is supposed to be negligible; this was a central element of the wholly decentralized economic relations produced under cybernetic capitalism. as of covid, that's been ending. as the imperial core increasingly loses its hold on the periphery, the core bourgeoisie correspondingly becomes forced to increasingly rely on the local proletariat again, which is why they're bringing home the oppressive measures once reserved for the periphery. the machinery will do whatever it can to maintain stability of the system. it will do so by a kind of verticalization of the current horizontal structure, i.e., a smaller system that presses down on the local proletariat rather than co-opting it as well paid office workers administrating the machinery which exploits the periphery, and it will be worse for american and european workers, who will experience intensified exploitation and worsening material conditions, but potentially better for the periphery.

I mean yeah but also if the american and european proletariat once again becomes important enough to be able to threaten the system's stability by withholding their labour...

UKJeff
May 17, 2023

by vyelkin

Xaris posted:

yeah probably a couple year window, but sooner the better as who knows what 2026 is gunna look like

LOL would love to be this optimistic

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

It's Ubisoft's fault for making all those Watch Dogs video games where you fight the system.

Solution: Close down Ubisoft.

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

"we made it too good, sorry"

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Justin Tyme posted:

*britishly to an american foreign student working at a university lab* this nonce dunno who oliver cromwell is

lol, I live down the road from where that guy went to school and about an hour from his birth home. It’s an escape room now.

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Oglethorpe posted:

"we made it too good, sorry"

yep

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
spine surgeons going to be in even high demand from all these people getting bulged discs/RSI from VR all day

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Justin Tyme posted:

*britishly to an american foreign student working at a university lab* this nonce dunno who oliver cromwell is

the Irish you genocided over here make sure we know who Cromwell is

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

gradenko_2000 posted:

someone mod Zoom to make it look like you're always looking at the camera even when you're actually looking off to the side posting

I think Facetime is supposed to have this capability, so it seems doable

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Cup Runneth Over posted:

i dont need this i need a way to record myself sitting looking at the camera and then play it on seamless loop as a virtual camera w/ AI to lipsync it. then I can just not even be facing the work laptop

this is also how they got the bad guy in speed

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

mawarannahr posted:

conan o'brien did this like 20 years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAdP15QjVYA&t=80s

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

i'm more sanguine about visiting europe as a tourist - it'll be doable for decades, just that there'll be tourist zones and sacrifice zones
the USD goes a long way these days especially as the spread between US and ROTW salaries continues to widen - i still remember when people talked about the spread in terms of percentages between US and Europe but it's multiples now

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

mawarannahr posted:

If you’re not a filthy poor, you could get Apple Vision Pro™ and scan someone else to act as your virtual FaceTime avatar. Maybe even another animal entirely.

Not sure if this extends to the wanking thing, maybe that’s an unlockable in a later VisionOS version or something.

animist
Aug 28, 2018

Xaris posted:

In the 1800s the British ruling class regarded large swathes of the poor as totally unproductive, so they either press ganged them into the Navy or put them into workhouses. Here's a quote from Losurdo's "Liberalism: a Counter-History":

quote:

Once they had entered workhouses, the poor ‘ceased to be citizens in any true sense of the word’, because they lost ‘the civil right of personal liberty’. And this was a radical loss: the ‘guardians’ of the workhouses had the discretional power of inflicting the corporal punishment deemed most fitting on inmates.

Bentham was decidedly enthusiastic. He tirelessly lauded the benefits of this institution, which he aimed further to perfect, locating the workhouse in a ‘panoptical’ building which allowed the director to exercise secret, total control—that is, to observe every single aspect of the behaviour of the unwitting inmates at any point in time:

"What hold can any other manufacturer have upon his workmen, equal to what my manufacturer would have upon his? What other master is there that can reduce his workmen, if idle, to a situation next to starving, without suffering them to go elsewhere? What other master is there, whose men can never get drunk unless he chooses that they should do so? and who, so far from being able to raise their wages by combination, are obliged to take whatever pittance he thinks it most for his interest to allow? … and what other master or manufacturer is there, who to appearance constantly, and in reality as much as he thinks proper, has every look and motion of each workman under his eye?"

Hence the contribution to the development of national wealth by workhouses, intended to operate as ‘industry-houses’, would be enormous. They were to be spread over the whole national territory, confining up to 500,000 detainees, and in any event ‘all persons, able-bodied or otherwise, having neither visible or assignable property, nor honest and sufficient means of livelihood’.

Thanks to this gigantic concentration-camp universe, where people would be interned without having committed any crime and without any control by the judiciary, it would be possible to perform the miracle of transforming the ‘dross’ that was the ‘refuse of the population’ into money.

and this was carried out, and was as bad as you would expect. I can definitely see some combo of this and favelas happening now in the US.

(I've been reading that book on a rec from the Marx thread, it's pretty good. It's all about how it isn't really contradictory that all the early Liberals were slaveholders / British aristocrats: they prized freedom because it was what marked their caste as special, they didn't want to be "oppressed" by having somebody take away their slaves.)

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

animist posted:

In the 1800s the British ruling class regarded large swathes of the poor as totally unproductive, so they either press ganged them into the Navy or put them into workhouses. Here's a quote from Losurdo's "Liberalism: a Counter-History":

and this was carried out, and was as bad as you would expect. I can definitely see some combo of this and favelas happening now in the US.

(I've been reading that book on a rec from the Marx thread, it's pretty good. It's all about how it isn't really contradictory that all the early Liberals were slaveholders / British aristocrats: they prized freedom because it was what marked their caste as special, they didn't want to be "oppressed" by having somebody take away their slaves.)

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-65959508

Did someone say panopticon and British brutality?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
There is no economic malaise that cannot be solved with a dash of good old fashioned slave labor.

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

animist posted:

this helps further elucidate a saying that's been in my head for a while now, something like "all references to freedom and liberty in the constitution are referring to the freedom and liberty to own people". i forget who originally said it

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

animist posted:

In the 1800s the British ruling class regarded large swathes of the poor as totally unproductive, so they either press ganged them into the Navy or put them into workhouses.

the book White Trash has some good stuff on them doing this prior to the 1800's, only they were sending them to the American colonies instead. All of the vagrants, performers, etc. that had begun accumulating in urban areas were seen as "Waste People" because their potential as workers was being "wasted", so they were sent to work the "waste land" (not in the modern sense of uninhabitable, but good land that was being "wasted" by not being worked) of North America.

For all the poo poo we give Australia for being a Prison Colony, America was basically a homeless colony if you weren't one of the ones coming here with a shitload of money in your pocket already.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
that book also has some great passages about the origins of North Carolina as a place all of the Waste People would run away to because they'd rather live in an uncultivated swamp than work all day

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Being in front of a camera in a meeting spikes my anxiety in the same was as giving a speech. You can create easily create virtual cameras via software that 'hijack" your camera stream. So, I created some movie clips to play on loop that replaced my camera feed. I'd be talking and people would see Hugh Jackman dancing around the computer in the hacking scene from "Swordfish". You could do the same with recorded video of yourself.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

that book also has some great passages about the origins of North Carolina as a place all of the Waste People would run away to because they'd rather live in an uncultivated swamp than work all day

Noone want to work...

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Zodium posted:

the cool thing about this is that as the system becomes more localized it also becomes less abstract. its one thing to know about the mic and imperialism, it’s another to see cops with machine guns on the street corner. atlanta seems to be leading the way in transition.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

manufacturing issues — getting an air of unattainability attached to those apple ski goggles is the absolute best thing that could happen to them. although google glass had that too didn’t it?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Xaris posted:

arguably america has always been a plutonomy, that's not new. we've heading far beyond the event horizon of the planar coordinates that once defined plutonomy into something worse. where the system once needed the labor of the masses to generate wealth, wide swaths of masses and much labor itself is now irrelevant to generating wealth as the transition to fully fictious finance capital economy has subsumed it. the transition to a service economy in the 80s-90s was a preceding component, but even now the service economy is largely negligible for profit seeking and much less labor is needed to cater to a small segment of the whales from whom the profit now flows

Re the enshittification stuff you were talking about before

There are two big shopping areas here that just don't bother with landscaping anymore. They don't cut the grass, the shrubs in the medians were pulled out, etc. They're just letting that poo poo go wild, why spend to maintain it I guess.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Mr. Lobe posted:

Noone want to work...

White Trash posted:

Things were different in Carolina. Just across the ill-defined border was an alien world where class authority was severely compromised. Byrd's little band of land commissioners were "knights-errant" embarked on a grand medieval crusade. When people emerged from their huts, staring as a flock at the strangers from Virginia, "it was as if we had been Morocco ambassadors." Having brought a chaplain along on their journey, they were able to christen children and marry men and women from place to place along their route. Byrd and his party of superior Christians sprinkled holy water on the heathen Carolinians.

Or so he fantasized. In fact, the Carolinians proved resistant to religion and reform. As Byrd noted, the man had an abiding "aversion" to labor of any kind. They slept (and snored) through most of the morning. On waking, they sat smoking their pipes. Rarely did they even peek outside their doors, and during the cooler months, those who did quickly returned "shivering to their chimney corners." In milder weather they got as far as thinking about plunging a hoe into the ground. But thinking turned to excuses, and nothing was accomplished. The unmotivated Carolina folk preferred, he said, to "loiter away their lives, like Solomon's sluggards." The little work that actually got done was performed by the female poor.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
i just love the idea of an English guy going an expedition to America to find out why No One Wants To Work Anymore

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

sullat posted:

When I was in college there was a Polish guy who'd been there for 8 years. Rumor had it he was on some Polish academic scholarship that would pay him as long as it took. He was still there when I graduated.
Yeah, I had an 80-something year old Polish guy in my Russian class back in college 20 years ago who had been going there for almost 15 years or so (state universities are free in Kentucky if you're over 65). I was one of the earlier students to get to class so we'd chat; he already knew Russian (since his dad was Russian?) and he spent the war in a concentration camp because the part of Poland he was living in was invaded by the Red Army and they were conscripting fighting age men, so he ran west.

Wild stuff. RIP Henry, you were a cool, albeit smelly, person.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/NickTimiraos/status/1675860718690738179?t=9bCbmZDkmnkJP4gCA4YJMQ&s=19

Tesla and rivian surging!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1675863258719305734?t=pqoI6KttjWuU4BS9IUq8dw&s=19

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

shrike82 posted:

i'm more sanguine about visiting europe as a tourist - it'll be doable for decades, just that there'll be tourist zones and sacrifice zones
the USD goes a long way these days especially as the spread between US and ROTW salaries continues to widen - i still remember when people talked about the spread in terms of percentages between US and Europe but it's multiples now

what. the euro is almost always stronger than t6be dollar, its fucken expensive to visit most of europe. just spent 2 weeks in Italy. americans and our funbux arent poo poo

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

https://www.macrumors.com/2023/07/03/gurman-apple-monitor-smart-home-display/

quote:

Apple is working on a new external monitor for Macs that also functions as a kind of smart home display while not in use, according to Bloomberg reporter Mark Gurman.

stuff that displays on your monitor after it's not been used for a period of time. never heard of such a thing

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

triple sulk posted:

https://www.macrumors.com/2023/07/03/gurman-apple-monitor-smart-home-display/

stuff that displays on your monitor after it's not been used for a period of time. never heard of such a thing

Apple brings back after dark

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Ammanas posted:

what. the euro is almost always stronger than t6be dollar, its fucken expensive to visit most of europe. just spent 2 weeks in Italy. americans and our funbux arent poo poo

you're replying to shrike