Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I managed to 3 star MoC 1! God my traces suck. I decided to invest in Jing Yuan at the last minute and he literally does no damage but I can 3 star 1 stage at level 60-70 so I call that good for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

My Yan so far

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

JT Jag posted:

I wonder how old Welt is at this point

He casually was able to live a century+ in 3rd without visibly aging, is he more of a true immortal than the Xianzhao residents?

Welt was 4 years old in 1955, he went into the Star Rail universe in 2029. This makes him at the youngest 78.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

GateOfD posted:

My Yan so far

I need to level a shielder to make him worth using.

Or get Loucha E2, I guess.

Kiavahr
Oct 17, 2013

Outrageous Lumpwad

Hypocrisy posted:

When did the elder Landaus all die? I could have sworn that Serval wouldn't visit home because she didn't want to see her dad.

I got the impression Geppy was admonishing Serval for not visiting their graves. I think that relationship is still complicated even after it's technically over

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

padijun posted:

If people cared about his convoluted HI3 backstory they’d look it up. He’s a guy on a train to 99% of people for a reason

I just mean it's important that he's old and he has a convoluted backstory, what his convoluted backstory is doesn't actually matter in this game, I think. Hell, for pretty much the entirety of the actual game in HI3 what his convoluted backstory actually is didn't matter, all that's in side stuff, but "dude's been up to his eyeballs in weird scifi poo poo longer than the main characters have been alive" is a pretty important character trait, and it IS demonstrated in Star Rail itself. Although come to think of it, I think it's mostly in talking to people on the train dialogue and not big story cutscenes.

Still, there is a reason "I've been to multiple universes" wasn't a sudden reveal, for instance.

Captain France fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jul 3, 2023

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
Go re-read his "about me" stuff in the parlor car, they left it all very vague (for now) for a reason. Every time you guys post HI3 details he gets slightly less interesting

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Man we really need a thread for the HI3 people to echo chamber in

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
I have 0 proof, but I get the distinct feeling March is lying about not remembering anything prior to getting frozen.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Honkai Impact 3rd expected you to be somewhat familiar with the story of Gun Girls Z (Honkai Impact 2) before you started playing it (which caused a problem when most of the western world have no way to play it in English, but I digress) and it actually starts in the middle of GGZ's story before it diverges into its own universe. Star Rail is no different and is a continuation of events set up in HI3, I know goons want the game to be completely standalone and separate from previous Honkai games but frankly, if that was going to be the case they wouldn't have given the game the Honkai branding. They'd have done something similar to Genshin and make it a brand new IP.

I understand and am sympathetic those those who don't care about HI3 and don't want to hear about it in the thread. But you're also being frankly stupid and ridiculous complaining about that stuff when it refers to the one character who is literally canonically from HI3 and the most recent character quest he's involved in has him have literal flashbacks to events from HI3. You can't question what that's all about and then complain when people explain it to you using context from the previous game in the series.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Honkai Impact 3rd expected you to be somewhat familiar with the story of Gun Girls Z (Honkai Impact 2) before you started playing it (which caused a problem when most of the western world have no way to play it in English, but I digress) and it actually starts in the middle of GGZ's story before it diverges into its own universe. Star Rail is no different and is a continuation of events set up in HI3, I know goons want the game to be completely standalone and separate from previous Honkai games but frankly, if that was going to be the case they wouldn't have given the game the Honkai branding. They'd have done something similar to Genshin and make it a brand new IP.

I understand and am sympathetic those those who don't care about HI3 and don't want to hear about it in the thread. But you're also being frankly stupid and ridiculous complaining about that stuff when it refers to the one character who is literally canonically from HI3 and the most recent character quest he's involved in has him have literal flashbacks to events from HI3. You can't question what that's all about and then complain when people explain it to you using context from the previous game in the series.

cope

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

oh it's getting spicy in here. we really need that new main content drop.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Black Griffon posted:

oh it's getting spicy in here. we really need that new main content drop.

I just need mommy Kafka tbqh

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
people telling me to read the Voynich manuscript when i am just here for the lesbian B)

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

HI3 lore posts are more interesting than leaks and spoilers at least

anyway, dang Luocha is a real step up from maining Natasha 24/7. he's saving my characters automatically and keeping people topped up, really works nice with Clara.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Man I don't even care about the story in star rail, let alone another game I don't even play

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Not So Fast posted:

HI3 lore posts are more interesting than leaks and spoilers at least

anyway, dang Luocha is a real step up from maining Natasha 24/7. he's saving my characters automatically and keeping people topped up, really works nice with Clara.

Luocha is a massive dork but I somehow against all the odds think I actually like him

Not enough to pull mind you but hey

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Mr. Fortitude posted:

wrong

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
Maybe I'm just too big a fan of the whole "semi-retired old adventurer" trope or something. I feel like talking to Welt and Himiko on the train made it pretty clear that, basically, Welt has been around, seen some crazy poo poo.

Hell, just look at Luocha's quest.
"I knew him in a different universe," nobody is particularly incredulous or surprised, because "Welt has had way more adventures than we know about" is something known specifically within Star Rail, even among the main party.

One of the worst monsters in human history being described as "not virtuous" and attempting to nuke him being described as "some bad blood" makes it similarly clear that the specifics don't matter.

If stuff being there at all didn't matter, they just not brought it up. Hell, they'd probably have had a new Welt expy instead of literally Welt. Not Zhongli probably would have been more popular anyway. If the specifics mattered, they wouldn't have undersold them so incredibly.

Honestly one thing I'd like for them to do with Welt is make up an entire extra storyline of crazy backstory between HI3 and Star Rail, reference it more often than things that actually appeared in HI3, and then never actually show it to us in any medium. I think it would be funny.

Mind you I also do like hearing about the specifics outside of the game, in a "JFC how is there so much" way like someone explaining the plot of Kingdom Hearts, but maybe I'm weird like that.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Honkai Impact 3rd expected you to be somewhat familiar with the story of Gun Girls Z (Honkai Impact 2) before you started playing it <snip> :words: <snip>

I mean, maybe being familiar with GGZ might have helped some people a bit, but HI3 works just fine starting in media res with important things being filled in as it goes as long as you're willing to accept in media res, and I'm sure Star Rail works fine standalone as long as you're willing to accept that Welt has been through so much that any crazy poo poo that comes up about him or from him going forward is completely plausible. And even that's just Welt.

Also, 100% guaranteed to not be important to Star Rail, but having recently read one of the HI3 manga it's important to me that people know this bit:
Welt's anime that he's more proud of than all of his scifi stuff had a tie-in energy drink. Welt called it "the most ninja energy drink on the market."

Spoiled for HI3 because we seemed to be doing that at the start of the thread, and that seemed like a nice compromise between "some people like talking about this side of things and reading about it" (I certainly enjoyed the HI3 lore dumps in the Genshin thread--so much so that I eventually got into HI3!) and "some people cannot stand it."

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

i dont know a drat thing about any other games by these people and the characters and story all stand alone just fine. youre literally way too into it if you think you need the backstory from HI3 or whatever the crap in order to get enjoyment out of the writing in this game

Symphoric
Apr 20, 2005

Luocha is anime Scott Pressler.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Look, all I'm saying is that people in this thread were asking what was happening during Luocha's character quest and how Welt relates to it. Maybe don't throw a hissy fit over lore from other games being mentioned when it's directly relevant is all I'm saying.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Detheros posted:

Man we really need a thread for the HI3 people to echo chamber in

this, please just make a honkaiverse lore containment thread. the posts are so bad

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I'm sympathetic to the idea that too much HI3 chat can be boring for people who don't care about the game, but yeah, when the most recent character quest is blatantly referencing HI3, it's not crazy to expect it to come up. I think it's generally better to view the games as being almost entirely separate, but Welt's the one big exception so far.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Meowywitch posted:

I just need mommy Kafka tbqh

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
I would like to propose that we discuss one future leaked character for every HI3 derail

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

acumen posted:

I would like to propose that we discuss one future leaked character for every HI3 derail

Win win for me, I'm enjoying both sides.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
The only reason I'm seeing for why this Welt stuff came up was because of a post about Yukong possibly being the first playable parent in a Mihoyo game. Nobody was asking for loredumps or even talking about the Luocha quest that makes knowing HI3 so essential all of a sudden (probably doesn't).

However since the lore of these games is so stupid, someone being wrong in response to that turns into this:

Mulva posted:

Different Welt. Welt Yang adopted the clone of the real Welt, Welt Joyce. Welt Yang is actually called Joachim Nokianvirtanen. Joyce passed on his powers and name to Joachim as he was dying. And then "Welt" took his mothers last name because loving Nokianvirtanen stands out, you know? And then like a hundred years later he found a clone of Joyce and took the kid under his wing, as one does.

And people give you weird looks, understandably. I'll continue to ignore these posts, but idk lore guys should keep it a bit more normal.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

acumen posted:

:hmmyes:

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

acumen posted:

concur

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Honkai Impact is cool and good and I kind of wish it mattered more to this game. Or that they had a Welt expy instead of just literally Welt Yang. Would make it easier for how I approach lore in this game. But I am extremely the type of person who has Pepe Silvia poo poo about Genshin, Honkai and now Star Rail. Mihoyo is great at catering to us.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

haypliss posted:

And people give you weird looks, understandably. I'll continue to ignore these posts, but idk lore guys should keep it a bit more normal.

Ok, now THIS is worth arguing about.

Science fiction should be more weird, not less. Go absolutely hog wild with the weird.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
By lore guys I mean the posters. 😔

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

An actual game-related question: I wanna try my best to make use out of Himeko, but;
a) Jing Yuan has TIAPD
b) Serval has Breakfast
c) Qingque has Geniuses' Repose
d) The only cones I have left then is MtWC and the 3*s
e) Not ever having to think about shuffling LCs around is more important to me than being fully optimized

Then who is the one who always lies what are my actual options? Wait for another recommended LC drop and have a duplicate (don't like that)? Stop using one of my erudition guys until I get a good 5*? Perish?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

haypliss posted:

Nah man that poo poo is hilarious, and people getting worked up about dumb fantasy poo poo just makes it more fun to do.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Mr. Fortitude posted:

The thing I was bitching about was an unbidden lore dump about all the crrrraaaaazzzyyy poo poo welt did in another game. I just want to see what he does in this one!

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

I'm sympathetic to the idea that too much HI3 chat can be boring for people who don't care about the game, but yeah, when the most recent character quest is blatantly referencing HI3, it's not crazy to expect it to come up. I think it's generally better to view the games as being almost entirely separate, but Welt's the one big exception so far.

if you believe the honkai nerds this entire game is a big hairy HI3 reference

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Black Griffon posted:

An actual game-related question: I wanna try my best to make use out of Himeko, but;
a) Jing Yuan has TIAPD
b) Serval has Breakfast
c) Qingque has Geniuses' Repose
d) The only cones I have left then is MtWC and the 3*s
e) Not ever having to think about shuffling LCs around is more important to me than being fully optimized

Then who is the one who always lies what are my actual options? Wait for another recommended LC drop and have a duplicate (don't like that)? Stop using one of my erudition guys until I get a good 5*? Perish?

Three is a lot of erudition chars, let alone four, if you don't have the cones best to just sit one out if swapping weapons is onerous.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Eimi posted:

Three is a lot of erudition chars, let alone four, if you don't have the cones best to just sit one out if swapping weapons is onerous.

Yeah I was struggling with 3 until I got the battle pass, especially since I had scrapped my copy of Breakfast for reasons I can't remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

Karanas posted:

I have 0 proof, but I get the distinct feeling March is lying about not remembering anything prior to getting frozen.

Turns out March is actually the smartest out of everyone