Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
If you were meant to use the kerb, then the track would extend that far.

QED

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Also it's not the racing line if you're going off track.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Khablam posted:

Making the sport about who can work out how to take the corner least wrong is dumb and it's why the stewards put their note it has to change.

I'm sorry but isn't this what racing is? Make it a drag race then.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
also, football pitches should have a steep cliff right outside the touch line to discourage any player from ever taking a foot out of bounds

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Khablam posted:

Unless they start painting white lines in the middle of the kerbs or behind them you're going to see these ridiculous situations where the racing line is very literally meant to be out of bounds. Making the sport about who can work out how to take the corner least wrong is dumb and it's why the stewards put their note it has to change.

They took the kurbs out in turn 9&10 in 2020 because teams complained that hitting it so often was ruining their cars
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/kerbs-removed-austria-spares-headache/4821231/

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
put big piles of pillows and microfiber towels there so the cars are cushioned & cleaned while making the turns

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Khablam posted:

e.g. in Austria you're actually meant to use that kerb, but the white line is before the kerb - if you use it and the car takes the quickest rotation where it goes widest in the middle, you will be out of bounds every time.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Place a row of Dutch orphans just outside the white line. Either they play by the rules or we win.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Khablam posted:

The much better system was the Massi system, where they'd identify corners where people got too much advantage for running off and set a reasonable limit. Unfortunately his role was replaced with a rotating door of imbeciles so we get rules that fly in the face of logic.

you've gone too far this time khablam

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
they should bank the turns, and if you take it too wide you fly off into the distance

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The bits that fall off your car from hitting the kerbs too hard are given to other teams selected at random

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

thats a mirror

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

Just thinking about what to do with all the money I don't have.
Do an inverse of Formula E's attack mode. Line the track with transponders, and disable DRS and ERS deployment for 30 seconds if they leave the track.

No, getting pushed wide or divebombed into the corner doesn't matter. Nuance doesn't exist.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Personal Lucubrant posted:

Do an inverse of Formula E's attack mode. Line the track with transponders, and disable DRS and ERS deployment for 30 seconds if they leave the track.

No, getting pushed wide or divebombed into the corner doesn't matter. Nuance doesn't exist.

just make it so leaving the track shuts the car off for safety

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Nybble posted:

they should bank the turns, and if you take it too wide you fly off into the distance

So install sausage kerbs?

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

They should put groundhogs outside the kerbs.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
If you no longer go over a line that is there, you're no longer a racing driver.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

If you go over the line you have to pit and swap with your team principal for 2 laps.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
if you go over the line it activates sprinklers in your car that spray water on your tires for 30 seconds

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.
Just do what street circuits did and put a wall at the track limits

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

Starbucks posted:

the tire wall that ate chevrolets was a fine addition to the chicago loop

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing

TDepressionEarl posted:

the tire wall that ate chevrolets was a fine addition to the chicago loop

No it wasn't. If that wasn't there, there would've only been a thin wall stopping the track from being a figure 8. Talk about consequences for track limits. You lock up there, you're getting into a head-on collision.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Nybble posted:

Also there should only two turns and they should be wide enough so that they can be taken without slowing down, the only acceptable corner radius.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Starbucks posted:

not everything should be a street circuit.

also it's a bigger issue for motorcycles but having guardrails right up to the edge of the racing line happened a lot in the 1970s and bounced a lot of cars back onto the circuit into bigger wrecks. There's a reason run-off and gravel traps exist.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

It's OK, we have the HALO to stop people being decapitated going under guard rails now

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

"Just put a wall there / just make it gravel" is ignoring why we saw 1200+ violations or near-misses of this one corner, two orders of magnitude more than most race weekend's tally.

You smooth brains should try reading my post again and actually understanding it.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Was Mercedes ever quite this dominant during Hamilton’s reign?

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

More so than this, so people complaining about it are ofcourse Merc Fans - no joke it was literally "Oh it's been 4 laps and the backmarkers are being lapped already" for 6 seasons.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Rinkles posted:

Yes. And further back other teams too.

The entire field was less than a second in Austria. 30 years ago Senna was sometimes 2 seconds off pole and qualified 3rd.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Rinkles posted:

2014 was real dumb, yeah. but the difference is Hamilton and Rosberg were closer to 1a and 1b than anything since...hmm. Certainly since the 1990s. There's a reason Rosberg retired after winning in 2016 - he was shot mentally - and a reason why Bottas became the perfect partner to Hamilton - he was quick but wasn't a lead driver in the same way.

[edit] the Schumacher Ferrari championships were never challenges in the way 2021 or earlier years for Hamilton were, Prost and Mansell in the Newey Williams were both absolute routs, 1988 of course, a few more. Two of Vettel's four were similar to this or last year. It happens.

Khablam posted:

"Just put a wall there / just make it gravel" is ignoring why we saw 1200+ violations or near-misses of this one corner, two orders of magnitude more than most race weekend's tally.

You smooth brains should try reading my post again and actually understanding it.

yeah, the Masi/prior method of dealing with it was better - establishing trouble corners and penalizing harsher for them. the current method of treating every corner equally for the penalties really isn't working. I honestly don't mind that penalties are harsher race to race depending on the circuit, but this kind of rule is better applied with some degree of subjectivity (eg, going wide on turn 9/10 isn't the same as other corners and should be treated as such).

harperdc fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Jul 4, 2023

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I only started following F1 more closely around 2018. I just remember that occasionally another team would win.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Rinkles posted:

I only started following F1 more closely around 2018. I just remember that occasionally another team would win.

Generally because Hamilton and Rosberg drove into each other or had reliability issues because they had to drive 100% to beat the other.

Like that Rosberg championship year. They lost 2 races. Spain because the idiots drove into each other, Malaysia because Hamilton's engine exploded while in the lead and Rosberg spun on lap 1.

They won every other race. They qualified 1-2 for both the ones they didn't.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

acidx posted:

If you no longer go over a line that is there, you're no longer a racing driver.

I can see and hear Horner saying this to the DTS camera so clearly in my mind, down to the dramatic pause in the middle.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Austria is bad

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

Austria is bad

Yes, it is. And the race track in Spielberg is, too

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Rinkles posted:

'14-'16 was a hardcore one-sided wash out that was so severe, that after this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3UB1UCIge4 (if you can't watch it, they pull out a 7s gap in 2 laps, and it just gets worse from there)
Mercedes would deliberately manage their pace even when Hamilton and Rosberg were racing each other.

'17 saw some more competition, but they still beat a car whose engine was so roided out it was illegal, then it's only really '21 where there's any season-long competition at all.
The most frustrating part for most viewers was even on weekends when it seemed like Merc had completely hosed the setup, they could just unwind some of their sandbags and suddenly be going 5-7tenths faster in Q3.
All the while telling you "Oh man we are barely keeping ahead these guys are right with us honest"

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
I think Williams could finish 7th this year

SocksAndSandals
Jun 6, 2011

There's no reason Ferrari can't win any of the remaining races

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Have you seen their pitwall