Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

SocksAndSandals posted:

There's no reason Ferrari can't win any of the remaining races

They're bad at strategy and even in 2023 get caught up with double-boxing, op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I'm the first to criticise Ferrari's strategy but its a lot harder to gently caress up a double box for Red Bull when they have some dipshit qualifying 15th while the other guy puts it on pole

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Judge Schnoopy posted:

They're bad at strategy and even in 2023 get caught up with double-boxing, op

With 4+ second stops. That's the bit that kills me, they're all awful.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

2014-15-16 were especially poo poo because everyone’s engines just blew up all the time, at least this year there is something that resembles competition in the midfield

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing

Khablam posted:

'14-'16 was a hardcore one-sided wash out that was so severe, that after this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3UB1UCIge4 (if you can't watch it, they pull out a 7s gap in 2 laps, and it just gets worse from there)
Mercedes would deliberately manage their pace even when Hamilton and Rosberg were racing each other.

I agree with your overall point, but this isn't a super good example because faster cars are stuck behind the force indias in 3rd and 4th.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

There are probably better examples from the first 3 races - that aren't easily linkable on YT - but 5th was a very typical finishing position for Hulk that year so it's not like they were backmarkers.
They are, ironically, in much the same position Merc are in now and there just aren't examples of Max having 2.5-3s a lap on them, or pulling 1s gap per straight.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Perez got passed at least once this week in green flag conditions. Has max been passed yet this year?

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Bip Roberts posted:

Perez got passed at least once this week in green flag conditions. Has max been passed yet this year?

He's been passed in the first lap a few times this year.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Khablam posted:

There was lots of excellent racing throughout the field, all weekend frankly.

Max doing a free pitstop to hoon it around on a literal victory lap is actually also very cool and good. That's how you dominate. You don't manage a 5s gap and go "no honestly *phew* oh boy these tyres... we barely won this one honest" for 7 years.

Just kerbstomp your opponents and laugh at them for even bothering to show up.

it tracks that a crooked verstappen shagger is a big fan of illegal steward interference in race results.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Perez battling for his life with Sainz while Max fucks off into the sunset is the funniest thing happening this season.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I missed the footage of Hulk driving over his own tyre in the pits on the weekend what the gently caress happened there?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Simplex posted:

He's been passed in the first lap a few times this year.

he's not great off the starting line but it doesn't even matter anymore

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Declan MacManus posted:

he's not great off the starting line but it doesn't even matter anymore

There's no point in risking anything on the starts

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Arc Hammer posted:

I missed the footage of Hulk driving over his own tyre in the pits on the weekend what the gently caress happened there?

he drove over his own tyre op

rpop
Dec 17, 2003

noveo@ace

Rinkles posted:

Was Mercedes ever quite this dominant during Hamilton’s reign?
No, they weren't.

Rinkles posted:

I only started following F1 more closely around 2018. I just remember that occasionally another team would win.
You remember correctly.

Khablam posted:

'14-'16 was a hardcore one-sided wash out that was so severe, that after this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3UB1UCIge4 (if you can't watch it, they pull out a 7s gap in 2 laps, and it just gets worse from there)
Mercedes would deliberately manage their pace even when Hamilton and Rosberg were racing each other.

'17 saw some more competition, but they still beat a car whose engine was so roided out it was illegal, then it's only really '21 where there's any season-long competition at all.
The most frustrating part for most viewers was even on weekends when it seemed like Merc had completely hosed the setup, they could just unwind some of their sandbags and suddenly be going 5-7tenths faster in Q3.
All the while telling you "Oh man we are barely keeping ahead these guys are right with us honest"
To counter this shitposting, even during the Mercedes domination years, someone else would eventually win by this point. Mercedes never managed to win the first 9 races in a row.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Dicknosed Force Indias in P3/4, truly the worst era
RIP Jules

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

rpop posted:

To counter this shitposting, even during the Mercedes domination years, someone else would eventually win by this point. Mercedes never managed to win the first 9 races in a row.

lmao at taking anything khalbraindamage says seriously at this point.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

rpop posted:

No, they weren't.

You remember correctly.

Mercedes lost 3 races in all of 2014, and 2015
They lost 1 race in 2016 (and it's only because Hamilton tried to pull a Senna on Rosberg)
2017 - 2019 was the Ferrari cheat-fest but Merc still only lost between 6-8 races per year.
They lost 3 races in 2020

Their dominance was real and some of the seasons were bleak.

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jul 5, 2023

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

When Mercedes and Hamilton were winning it was cool and good, when the hated Red Bull win it is bad

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Thanks Ants posted:

When Mercedes and Hamilton were winning it was cool and good, when the hated Red Bull win it is bad

I started to get bored of Hamilton winning from 2017 onward.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

they both can be bad lmao

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

tony quidtana posted:

You're right op, Lando should be winning more races.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

rpop posted:

No, they weren't.

You remember correctly.
I say it all the time, Merc and Lewis fans live in an alternate reality because they'll believe almost anything, except the actual results on the classification screen lmao.

The only race they didn't win in 2014 based on pace (excluding rare DNFs and the mercs shunting each other) was Hungary, where Merc hosed the strategy. Even so, there was a period in the last stint where Nico was ~3s a lap faster than anyone else.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

tony quidtana posted:

the absolute worst thing anyone could say about you is that you are a selfish moral blank, whose lazy cynicism and sneering ironic take on the world encapsulates everything wrong with a generation

PhoenixFlaccus
Jul 15, 2011

KFC Famous Bowl
I would simply drive within the lines, much like coloring within the lines of a coloring book made for children. It suck it took so long for the stewards to dish out penalties but I heard they had to review hundreds of track limit incidents throughout the weekend. I suspect this weekend’s embarrassing number of incidents and penalties will serve as the warning (most) drivers need to keep it clean going forward.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021

PhoenixFlaccus posted:

I would simply drive within the lines, much like coloring within the lines of a coloring book made for children. It suck it took so long for the stewards to dish out penalties but I heard they had to review hundreds of track limit incidents throughout the weekend. I suspect this weekend’s embarrassing number of incidents and penalties will serve as the warning (most) drivers need to keep it clean going forward.

have you ever driven a race car before? do you know how much time per lap you give up by not using maximum track? if others are doing it without being penalized and you stick to the rules, you are losing time 100%. this is about issuing warnings/penalties for track limits on time.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
Have they considered just calling them "track suggestions"?

That should clear up some obvious confusion.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

confirmed good lad who means well lando norris managed to not get a pen for track limits

PhoenixFlaccus
Jul 15, 2011

KFC Famous Bowl

Sunk Dunk posted:

have you ever driven a race car before? do you know how much time per lap you give up by not using maximum track? if others are doing it without being penalized and you stick to the rules, you are losing time 100%. this is about issuing warnings/penalties for track limits on time.

Yes. I’m aware that it’s slower to not break the rules. Everyone knew they were enforcing track limits during and after qualifying yet many continued to go over (Perez being particularly idiotic).

We agree it sucks that penalties and warnings weren’t handed out faster but it was hard for stewards to keep up because the drivers were being particularly “well he did it too” this weekend. I’d be alright with automated systems although they still probably require some manual oversight; not sure exactly how those work in other series. Again, ideally the drivers learned their lesson after this weekend and it won’t be as much of an issue moving forward.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Sunk Dunk posted:

We already have the Dutch in this sport with their cranial structure creating the natural inclination to cheat. Isn't that bad enough?

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I'm glad there's no sprint this weekend. Sir Lewis could win this...

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

confirmed good lad who means well lando norris managed to not get a pen for track limits

im excited to see if the mclaren upgrades are the real deal

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

the milk machine posted:

im excited to see if the mclaren upgrades are the real deal

same, Lando definitely has some affinity for the Red Bull Ring, it will be interesting to see how things shake up on other tracks and for Oscar

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Khablam posted:

the absolute worst thing anyone could say about you is that you are a selfish moral blank, whose lazy cynicism and sneering ironic take on the world encapsulates everything wrong with a generation

I would sooner watch the extended cut of Das Boot than any F1 race this season.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

When you could be watching Heat on DVD??

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

PhoenixFlaccus posted:

I suspect this weekend’s embarrassing number of incidents and penalties will serve as the warning (most) drivers need to keep it clean going forward.

It’s a Red Bull Ring problem in particular. There were a lot of issues with deleted lap times during quali last year, and then this year they “improved” enforcement during the race which led to the ridiculousness.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

tony quidtana posted:

I would sooner watch the extended cut of Das Boot than any F1 race this season.

wow you'd rather watch a critically acclaimed riveting psychological thriller? shocking stuff

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

smackfu posted:

It’s a Red Bull Ring problem in particular. There were a lot of issues with deleted lap times during quali last year, and then this year they “improved” enforcement during the race which led to the ridiculousness.

Turn ten was not kind.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

if the standard for being a good driver is staying within track limits on the red bull ring then the best driver on the grid is Zhou Guanyu who apparently only went off twice in the entire weekend followed by Oscar Piastri with four

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Turn ten was not kind.

nearly every penalty was turn 9 or 10 I think lol