Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

“I can’t afford to rent the flat I own”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Mega Comrade posted:

I know little about the AMC. But it also might be too do with the government now having to provide for all its population instead of just 7%.
In 1995 yes. Under Cyril 'Marikana massacre' Ramaphosa they've just found a different 7%.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

smellmycheese posted:

my mortgage is definitely 20% cheaper than typical rent for the house, probably more so if you HMO it

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jel Shaker posted:

my mortgage is definitely 20% cheaper than typical rent for the house, probably more so if you HMO it

Mines less than half of the expected rental. The system is brutal to the young and poor by design

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Mortgages being cheaper than rent isn’t new at all, but it’s nice that the OP went “holy gently caress that’s awful” instead of “lol gently caress yeah being a landlord rules rear end”

We bought our house 10 years ago and even then our rent on a 1 bedroom shoebox about 2 miles away was double what our mortgage is now on a much bigger place in a much more ‘in demand’ (read: near to schools and shops and poo poo) area.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

killerwhat posted:

The Ghost Trick rerelease is out?! Rip my weekend plans. Missile is the reason I have a Pomeranian :3:

Mwahahaha. The Trick is On.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

Hell they're doing that in Iran this very week
Whoever's doing it in Iran seems to be using the same tactic against the joint scourges of alcohol and female education.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Failed Imagineer posted:

Mines less than half of the expected rental. The system is brutal to the young and poor by design

When we bought our house a very similar one went up for rent at the same time, so we started paying the rent on that house towards our mortgage each month. We should have it paid off in the next three years, nineteen years early. I doubt the renters of the other house have managed so well financially, but strangely their house also hasn’t had as much maintenance and upgrading as ours over the same period. Huh.

Edit: just had a look and the cheapest house to rent in the village currently is more than double our minimum monthly mortgage payment, and this is a poo poo village in north east Derbyshire. If we’d been maybe five years younger, definitely ten, we’d have missed out on getting a house, no question.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Wes has joined Threads…

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/Sillytees/status/1676881591161827331

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Diagnosis: oval office

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

smellmycheese posted:

Foxton’s model is to lie massively to landlords and sellers about what price they’ll get to win the exclusive commission, then to actually deliver the same amount as the competing agents quoted originally.

It works very well because landlords are greedy parasites.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
This is a lovely thing that happened but hopefully it may spark changes to urban tanks and other cars that don't need to be in cities.

quote:

An eight-year-old girl has died after a car hit a primary school in Wimbledon, south London, in an incident in which several other children and adults have been injured, the Metropolitan police said.
The 'car' in question being a loving massive Land Rover SUV. Donate them to Antrim so that they can have some entertainment burning them now that their drug money for pallets has gone missing.

A prescient tweet:
https://twitter.com/cianginty/status/1674740506377461763

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also all that shite about "it's safer cos I can see over things" motherfucker the only reason I can't see is cos you're driving a loving house.

The ideal car has been invented and it's a hatchback. You can put a shitload of stuff in it, it's easy to get in and out of, it seats four people if you need it to, and it's still pretty small. No larger cars need to exist unless you're working out of it.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Uncritical support for the climate protestors who went around slashing SUV tyres.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Also "you can see over things" isn't very safe when those things include children and, apparently, school gates.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
The ideal car has been invented and it's a bus

*throws down gauntlet*

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

big pro bus guy here

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I genuinely feel like SUV drivers should feel utterly ashamed of themselves, and am baffled that they don't. This includes my own dad, and a couple of acquaintances.

Like, we're all meant to make sacrifices to help make the world a better place, but choosing to drive an SUV is just this active unnecessary indulgence which directly contributes to making things worse for everyone else. Just drive a smaller car. You can do it. gently caress, you probably used to do it for the last several decades without any issue.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

No larger cars need to exist unless you're working out of it.
And half of those don't either.

I drove an early 00s Hilux for years both as work and a personal vehicle, and it has a bigger bed size than all these SUVified vanity trucks while getting far better fuel economy.
(especially if you use vegetable oil, because it's got one of those Toyota marine engines that can probably run on caramel mixed with lighter fluid)

Microplastics posted:

The ideal car has been invented and it's a bus

*throws down gauntlet*
:hmmyes:

I've noticed all the buses in Leicester are moving towards electric and are branded as 'Leicester Buses' rather than First or Centrebus or whatever.

They're still all run by private companies, but I think that along with Manchester's yellow buses is a signifier of the scales tipping to institutional support for the city bus model than the five competing companies running the same route and no you absolutely can't use a day ticket across them model the 90s free marketeers pushed.

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008

The Perfect Element posted:

I genuinely feel like SUV drivers should feel utterly ashamed of themselves, and am baffled that they don't. This includes my own dad, and a couple of acquaintances.

Like, we're all meant to make sacrifices to help make the world a better place, but choosing to drive an SUV is just this active unnecessary indulgence which directly contributes to making things worse for everyone else. Just drive a smaller car. You can do it. gently caress, you probably used to do it for the last several decades without any issue.

My sister has a Landrover Defender but then moans about other SUV drivers because of the danger to her child. No rollseyes big enough.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Lmao. He’s looking at her with embarrassment and disdain, despite her lickspittling

https://twitter.com/kayburley/status/1676907394020913152?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Out on the town having the time of my life with my prime minister. He's just in frame, not laughing

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
contempt in his eyes

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/jackelsom/status/1676898646036475904?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

In the beginning, the Starmer policy rollbacks were spaced by twenty-four weeks, then twelve, then six, then every two weeks. The last one in Westminster…was a week. In four days, we could be seeing burnt proposals every eight hours until they are coming every four minutes.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
and another thing: im not going to make anything better. please dont put in the newspaper that i'd make things better

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's genuinely amazing that he is absolutely 100% committed to ruling out every possible thing people might want him to do.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
is there a website recording every starmer-labour pledge made and broken

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Exciting new summer fudge drop!

Howdy fudge fans!

As we now move inexorably into the summer season we’re here to announce a restock on most of our flavours- and the release of several brand new ones that we’re particularly excited about! We’re going to be at several events over the next month- aside from the Newcastle-Under-Lyme artisanal market on the 16th we’ll be selling in person at the Market Drayton carnival on the 15th July and at the Wrexham artisanal market on the 22nd- do drop by if you’re in the area and drop me a goon shibboleth for special bargains!

Current Fudge Selection

(+ indicates freshly restocked)

* Original Vanilla +
* Unicorn Barf +
* Cafe Americano +
* Chai Latte +
* Pretzelicious
* Cheesecake +
* Chocolate Chip Cookie +
* Chilli and Lime +
* Malted Milk Ball +
* Crunchy Chocolate Honeycomb +
* Maple and Pecan
* Caramilk
* Whisky and Candied Ginger
* Strawberry Milkshake
* Peanut Butter
* Lemon Meringue Pie (last few bars!)
* Irish Cream +
* Vegan Chocolate
* Veganana
* Fish Phood - NEW!
A delicious and totally non-copyright infringing treat of chocolate fudge shot through with chocolate chunks and whole marshmallows. My current personal fave!
* Toffee Apple - NEW! Naturally flavoured toffee apple fudge surrounds chunks of organic dried apple and chewy hunks of English toffee. Smells amazing, tastes even better!

All fudge is now live at https://www.fudjit.co.uk at £4.00 + P&P per 100g bar. And as always, you can use the UKMT discount code ‘Roastbeefisbest’ to get 5-for-4 at checkout. All fudge is sent out 1st class signed-for with Royal Mail.

Get fudged!

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
surely one of you goons has the osborne wedding email to post up c'mon

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I assume you get more money using your own checkout rather than paypal?

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

OwlFancier posted:

I assume you get more money using your own checkout rather than paypal?

Actually PayPal works better- the cut is about the same but they process instantly rather than taking a week.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ah right I'll do it that way then, Cheers! Congratulations on contributing to my irresponsible spending funded by new job money. And also probably my acceleration towards diabetes.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

are energy companies in the habit of overcharging just because? Moved house and joined OVO because they already serviced the building and the first bill shows they've slapped an extra £50 on for ?? Is it just to leave the account in credit?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

DesperateDan posted:

surely one of you goons has the osborne wedding email to post up c'mon

https://twitter.com/AlecMuffett/status/1677024063754051584

:f5:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

kecske posted:

are energy companies in the habit of overcharging just because? Moved house and joined OVO because they already serviced the building and the first bill shows they've slapped an extra £50 on for ?? Is it just to leave the account in credit?

Are you doing the standard monthly direct debit option or are you going to pay bills quarterly in their actual values?

If monthly they will whack on extra now so you build up credit going into winter, with the idea being so that you can pay the same every month so it’s nice and lazy to budget you end up paying for more than you use in summer but less than you use in winter and it balances out to zero.

Some companies are more aggressive about working out your 12 month average though and will suggest cranking it up repeatedly because they are greedy and/or thick cunts, as I have found with Shell over the last few years.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Darth Walrus posted:

In the beginning, the Starmer policy rollbacks were spaced by twenty-four weeks, then twelve, then six, then every two weeks. The last one in Westminster…was a week. In four days, we could be seeing burnt proposals every eight hours until they are coming every four minutes.

Starmnet is beginning to pledge and renege at an exponential rate. Pretty soon he'll be at Peta-flipflops

Mesopotamia
Apr 12, 2010

Pop Bitch posted:

>> Wedding hell <<
We all got mail

There's going to be some awfully awkward chatter in the pews at George Osborne's wedding on Saturday. Yesterday, the bulk of the happy couple's guest list (alongside a number of national newsdesks and a handful of Westminster power players, who were helpfully BCCed) received an eye-popping email from an anonymous sender.

Running to 2,500 words, with multiple attachments and links for further reading, most of the allegations it contains about George's personal conduct are absolutely extraordinary (and absolutely unprintable). Suffice to say, they all fall under the header of "Bombshells".

It's led to some feverish speculation as to who would do this in the run-up to the big day. A disgruntled former colleague? A disgruntled former wife?

Whoever it is, even the most hardened hacks on Fleet Street were left open-mouthed at the nerve required to send such an incendiary email. It's certainly not the most dignified way to air your grievances with the groom, but at least they had the good grace not to leave it until the vicar asked if anyone had any objections.

Someone needs to leak this poo poo, or get as much sourced and past a paper's laywers ASAP.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Mesopotamia posted:

Someone needs to leak this poo poo, or get as much sourced and past a paper's laywers ASAP.

Really hope they emailed some media people outside the UK, who can gleefully leak this all with no fear of consequences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
The man who killed 300,000 did some nasty sex stuff you say?