Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Buffer posted:

spreading even more loving mines and submunitions across yet more farmland is not a good thing regardless of who is doing it

lord, save us from all these righteous men...

The US is going to mark this down as a successful climate change prevention initiative

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Alpha 1 posted:

https://www.cnn.com/2023/07/07/politics/joe-biden-cluster-munitions-ukraine/

This is as close as we're going to get to an admission that the NATO stockpiles are gone. The full might of NATO technowar could not overcome the primitive orcish shamanism of "having factories that make shells instead of financial scams." :orks:

incredible stuff. The libs twisting themselves that this will be the wunderwaffe that will save ukraine and the US straight up says its not the weapons they need but the only thing we have left so here you go

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

stephenthinkpad posted:

But what is Zaluzhny's plan?

I'm starting to question if he's the right man for the job (wasting entire generations of young and not so young men in a pointless war to bloody Russia's nose). Zaluzhny was against holding Bakhmut, he was against the offensive to re-take Kherson, now he is against the summer counter offensive.. What kind of general is this?

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I used to think cluster munitions werr diabolical and barbarous, but now that the US is giving them to Ukraine I think theyre good

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Starsfan posted:

yeah and the most galling thing is that the Nazi vanguard with all their western supplied armor and equipment was immediately pulled out of the offensives south of Orikhiv and around Bakhmut when it became obvious that it wasn't going to fly and instead they are sending the normal people who are probably poor and couldn't get out of being rounded up in one of Ukraines mass mobilization drives off to charge the Russian front..

at least send in the Nazis Ukraine :(

They need to protect the nazis so they can flee to America and europe.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
so how much chemical weaponry the us still got? https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing...pons-stockpile/

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Starsfan posted:

I'm starting to question if he's the right man for the job (wasting entire generations of young and not so young men in a pointless war to bloody Russia's nose). Zaluzhny was against holding Bakhmut, he was against the offensive to re-take Kherson, now he is against the summer counter offensive.. What kind of general is this?

He was the one who leaked this disagreement between leadership to position himself for the post Z political landscape.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Turtle Sandbox posted:

They need to protect the nazis so they can flee to America and europe.

The US has a domestic supply chain now, but you still can't beat the imports

(please beat the imports)

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

maybe its time to look at diplomacy options?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Biden finally caved on diplomacy

let’s see if it gets anywhere

might be why Z man is in Türkiye

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

quote:

NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg laid out the agenda for the NATO summit in Vilnius, Lithuania, next week, saying it will demonstrate alliance unity.
President Joe Biden will join alliance heads of state and government during a critical moment in transatlantic security.

"Russia's war of aggression against Ukraine continues to rage on," Stoltenberg said. "For 500 days, Moscow has brought death and destruction to the heart of Europe, seeking to destroy Ukraine and divide NATO."

The summit sends the message to Moscow and Russian President Vladimir Putin that the alliance is united, and his aggression "will not pay," the secretary general said.

The battle in Ukraine will be front and center in the discussions, but so will long-range plans for embracing the embattled country. "At the summit, we will make Ukraine even … stronger and set out a vision for its future," Stoltenberg said. "I expect allied leaders will agree [on] a package with three elements to bring Ukraine closer to NATO."

Stoltenberg said the package includes:

Discussions about a multiyear program of assistance to Ukraine to ensure full interoperability between the Ukrainian armed forces and NATO.
Establishment of the NATO-Ukraine Council.
Discussion about Ukraine's membership in NATO.
"I expect allied leaders will reaffirm that Ukraine will become a member of NATO and unite on how to bring Ukraine closer to its goal," he said.

Stoltenberg noted that NATO allies have already pledged 500 million euros for critical needs in Ukraine, including fuel, medical supplies, demining equipment and pontoon bridges. "We will also help build Ukraine's security and defense sector, including with military hospitals, and we will help Ukraine transition from Soviet-era to NATO equipment and standards," he said.

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy will join the summit for the inaugural meeting of the new NATO-Ukraine Council.

Alliance leaders will also look to strengthen defense and deterrence with three new regional defense plans that counter the main NATO threats: Russia, and terrorism.

Stoltenberg said the plans will cover the Atlantic and European Arctic; the Baltic region and central Europe; and the Mediterranean and Black Sea.

"To execute these plans, NATO is putting 300,000 troops on higher readiness, including substantial air and naval combat power," he said.

Alliance leaders will also look at a Defense Production Action Plan "to aggregate demand, boost capacity and increase interoperability," he said.

. . .
https://www.defense.gov/News/News-Stories/Article/Article/3451329/nato-chief-details-plans-for-summit/

euphronius posted:

Biden finally caved on diplomacy

let’s see if it gets anywhere

might be why Z man is in Türkiye

maybe Ukraine in nato has to do with this idk

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Pistol_Pete posted:

Timetable of war-changing weapons:

- Javelins
- Himars
- Leopard tanks
- F16's
- Cluster bombs

What am I missing?
-

Storm shadows! Man they had a really cool name didn't they? The marketing for western wunderwaffen has been pretty good.

Product delivered may not be the same as advertised however.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I wish someone would come out and say if they’re intention is to use the alternate fuzing to have them explode rather than eject submunitions, because this would be the first large scale use and is novel, as far as artillery operations go. They were designed for emergency use as less efficient HE, so if that’s the case, I want to know (and post about which means public articles about the use).

The problem is the downstream political and military implications might preclude “admitting” that. Putting on my mlmp hat, I don’t see it as “embarrassing”, because it was built into the design of the projectiles and Ukraine is fighting against the genocidal Putler, so it is an emergency that warrants the improvisation / mlmpishly not an improvisation since they were designed with this in mind.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The important thing is no matter what you say about anything to keep two additional men on standby ready to pick up and move the goalposts around the edge of the field as needed.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

I wish someone would come out and say if they’re intention is to use the alternate fuzing to have them explode rather than eject submunitions, because this would be the first large scale use and is novel, as far as artillery operations go. They were designed for emergency use as less efficient HE, so if that’s the case, I want to know (and post about which means public articles about the use).

The problem is the downstream political and military implications might preclude “admitting” that. Putting on my mlmp hat, I don’t see it as “embarrassing”, because it was built into the design of the projectiles and Ukraine is fighting against the genocidal Putler, so it is an emergency that warrants the improvisation / mlmpishly not an improvisation since they were designed with this in mind.

Yeah i was wondering if they could be rigged to blow as a mass. That probably wouldn't be too tough as a retrofit. Just string em together so when the jet fires it pulls all the firing pins and then it's basically an inefficient regular shell

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Hatebag posted:

Yeah i was wondering if they could be rigged to blow as a mass. That probably wouldn't be too tough as a retrofit. Just string em together so when the jet fires it pulls all the firing pins and then it's basically an inefficient regular shell

No you just use the regular fuze

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Coming soon: Russia has cloned the USA made cluster bombs and is shelling their own nuclear power plant with them in an attempt to blame extremely innocent eyed Ukraine.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Whats up with FFs pitbull related AVs

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

As good a reason to die as any

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

No you just use the regular fuze

Oh really? Lol, so they are just using cluster bombs as replacements for shells

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

That's a problem for future ukrainian children to worry about

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Whats up with FFs pitbull related AVs

something something politricks

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ts4JS2NVtqs

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
So on the subject of Ukraine joining NATO and getting help with article 5 (or any new article they can write specifically for Ukraine), it only matters to the next Ukraine-Russia war, it doesn't affect the current war. For the current war, NATO can send whatever help they want right now, it has nothing to do with the membership status.

So what I am saying is, the entire membership is a bone the US dangling in front of Ukraine constantly to make them do things. There are other bones like EU, Schengen movement etc. But those are Germany and France bones, this NATO membership is a US bone, they are going to milk it for all its worth and make Ukraine do maximum damage to Russia, with whatever resource Ukraine has on hand, namely forced conscript office workers.

Also one more funny thing about the relationship dynamic, is Ukraine think they can stop making these horrendous sacrifices as soon as they get in the NATO door. It's like getting married with a rich guy withiut signing a prenup, well that's what Kyiv thinks anyway.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/witte_sergei/status/1677353261635096577

neoliberalism brainworm rot where posting is just as deadly as a bullet

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

Danann posted:

The endpoint of liberal idealism, thinking that posting can replace reality.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/PhilstarNews/status/1677484310738403328

how could the US deny such weapons to Kyiv

Sarin Ukraini

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Futanari Damacy posted:

Ooh, a collared shirt (with buttons!) that looks like complete poo poo. Impressive!

He wore a suit and shaved his beard for the Zuckster though.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Danann posted:

It's actually logistics that wins wars.

Get there fastest with the mostest.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

post a meme so epic that putin kills himself out of being owned so hard

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Hatebag posted:

That's a problem for future ukrainian Russian children to worry about

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

spacetoaster posted:

treats for the twitter troops assures victory

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Danann posted:

lmao

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

yellowcar posted:

post a meme so epic that putin kills himself out of being owned so hard

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

the inability for people to view things from a different perspective other than their own is truly incredible

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

spacetoaster posted:

And the AFU is doing that. They're moving the most cannon fodder to the area to get demolished in record time. So why isn't this working? Am I missing something?

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum

Cuttlefush posted:

you started the rumor

yup. receipts:

mlmp08 posted:

Some of my friends currently employed by the US military are clandestinely operating air defense batteries in Ukraine. I also know that the US destroyed the nordstream pipeline, and I think that is cool.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Oh my god, he admit it!!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

VoicesCanBe posted:

The endpoint of liberal idealism, thinking that posting can replace reality.

Much like liberal economics where financial services (excel spreadsheets) replace actual production of physical goods & industrial capacity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
i hope someday we get a book about the palace intrigue in ukraine

syrsky, zelensky and zaluzhny dont seem to be on the same page