Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Charities are no less vulnerable to corruption and graft than any institution

Oh I know that. Just shocked that the small St Mungos I used to know has morphed into this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I still think back to the adverts they had in the bus station in boro basically amounting to "don't give homeless people money, give it to 'real charities' instead."

Not sure anything has made me less inclined to give money to charity tbh.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Failed Imagineer posted:

Labour welcomes its new policy director, the Transformer Cyclonus

Let's face it, at this point the Decepticons couldn't be worse for the country than the Tories are.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I still think back to the adverts they had in the bus station in boro basically amounting to "don't give homeless people money, give it to 'real charities' instead."

Not sure anything has made me less inclined to give money to charity tbh.

This always pissed me right off, because if everyone actually followed that directive, which you assume the charities want because that’s what they wrote on a bus stop in big letters, most homeless people would simply die because they no longer had any money whatsoever. Deranged stuff.

Labour winds me up in a very particular way that I can’t put my finger on. It’s the person at the edge of a party who insists they’re good fun and always talk about how fun they are but as soon as someone gets on a table to dance they go ‘no come on we all like fun but no get down come on’. Like outside of their ghoulish politics, there’s something far more personally dislikable about them than someone like Boris or most of the current Tory crop. It’s like how Sauron is more evil but you definitely hate Denethor more.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Angrymog posted:

Let's face it, at this point the Decepticons couldn't be worse for the country than the Tories are.

At least they have an interest in producing some loving energy

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/Haggis_UK/status/1677953483973054465

She looked genuinely uncomfortable keeping to the party line. I hope she is uncomfortable and that all of this keeps her up at night.

https://twitter.com/coldwarsteve/status/1677964321970585606

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Come on now CWS.
The Tories wouldn't give them beds.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
A lot of these charities seem to be made up of a bunch of sincere and dedicated staff who work very hard for peanuts, and then there's a different class of people at the top of the organisations who earn 6 figure salaries, all know each other socially and who utterly despise the ordinary employees.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
Dear Keir, I'm afraid there is no money. Kind regards - and good luck! Kier

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Pistol_Pete posted:

A lot of these charities seem to be made up of a bunch of sincere and dedicated staff who work very hard for peanuts, and then there's a different class of people at the top of the organisations who earn 6 figure salaries, all know each other socially and who utterly despise the ordinary employees.

we have to pay them six figure salaries because if we didn’t they would work for BP or Shell or some arms manufacturer

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Pistol_Pete posted:

This does happen (cough cough cancer research cough cough) but a lot of big charities get caught in this dragnet unfairly. I used to work for a major development charity and say what you will about international development charities but their CEO was on about 120k - it’s a lot of money but for being responsible for a globe spanning international organisation responsible for millions of lives, it’s pretty fair I think. What I’m saying is, be wary but don’t let it put you off all the bigger charities.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Probably not - they're just flinging names around & I noticed [redacted] was trending on the theme.

i was just going to make a joke about it being Wario yesterday wehn you posted that

perish the thought b/c i enjoy his reassuringly boring demeanour and Welsh voice

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jul 9, 2023

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

i'll bet he made animations and everything

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

crispix posted:

i was just going to make a joke about it being Wario yesterday wehn you posted that

perish the thought b/c i enjoy his reassuringly boring demeanour and Welsh voice

My old mate who is at ITV tells me the news desk says it’s definitely Wario

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jul 9, 2023

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
gently caress SAKE :mad:

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

crispix posted:

gently caress SAKE :mad:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QM9eXB1RClE

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013
Fitting for a sexual predator to announce the queen's death on the beeb.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
huw's wang is for the children

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Keith looking like someone just held up a second bag of Wet Eggs that need eating.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Jakabite posted:

It’s like how Sauron is more evil but you definitely hate Denethor more.

Hold on what? Denethor is a man driven to madness by fake news and grief for his son, and is generally right about Gandalf's plans and the way things are going. Meanwhile Sauron has literal armies of slaves, tortures people to death and wants to conquer the world

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sauron's the devil, denethor's a person, and a right bellend of one at that.

Also in the movies he's just a colossal prick to faramir for no reason and then when faramir gets hosed up because of his incompetence, he completely ignores reality and continues to just make it all about him to the point of nearly killing faramir in the process.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

it's the tomato, no litany of crimes can match it

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

SixFigureSandwich posted:

Hold on what? Denethor is a man driven to madness by fake news and grief for his son, and is generally right about Gandalf's plans and the way things are going. Meanwhile Sauron has literal armies of slaves, tortures people to death and wants to conquer the world

They might mean Movie Denethor, where they went out of their way to make him vaguely unlikeable

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Movie Denethor is much worse than Book Denethor. In the books he's grumpy and suspicious of Gandalf and friends, but all his military decisions are strategically sound until the point where Faramir is lying there unconscious and dying, and he gives up (he doesn't know that Faramir could be cured if a True King showed up with the right kind of herbs)

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jakabite posted:

Labour winds me up in a very particular way that I can’t put my finger on.
They're middle management pricks. Every oval office who's ever wrung their hands and apologised for not being able to give you a pay rise or sorting out working conditions, while prostrating themselves for the management above.

They're a prophylactic between workers and management, and the worst thing is they're dumb enough to think they're on the side of management.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Mega Comrade posted:

Jfc that's a bit much...

It absolutely loving isn't at this point.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Diet Crack posted:

It absolutely loving isn't at this point.
:decorum:

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Leave it to this thread to side with an elitist wizard and literal royalty over a working class steward :colbert: #gondorneedsnoking

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Lets not get into a marxist analysis of LotR because the politics are, as the Germans say, sehr gefuckt.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Tell you who I am feeling sorry for - and that's all the people who have the same name as the Chief Suspect in the BBC scandal.
I know one and I just looked on FB and there are loads of them. Probably about to have their FBs targeted by numskulls.

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
At least they're not called Ian Watkins

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I hope none of them are also a paediatrician or a podiatrist.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Bobby Deluxe posted:

They're middle management pricks. Every oval office who's ever wrung their hands and apologised for not being able to give you a pay rise or sorting out working conditions, while prostrating themselves for the management above.

They're a prophylactic between workers and management, and the worst thing is they're dumb enough to think they're on the side of management.

This is why I couldn't hack it as a manager.

I couldn't spend the year telling people they were great then giving them gently caress all when it came to pay rises.

Even when I would offer to forego mine to pay for it. I could never understand that, it's my money!

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
Is there any kind of restriction under UK privacy laws on BBC presenters who are in the crosshairs going on record to say "Nope, not me. Please don't burn down my house"? I'm aware that some already have, but I'm pretty sure that I remember people potentially facing prosecution for doing so a few years back during the super injunction fuss. in a small pool of candidates (male high profile BBC television presenters), ruling yourself out as a culprit narrows the list for identifying the real perpetrator.

I'm also 100% sure the Sun has been planning to go with a monday morning headline of "BBC suspends (insert name here), what can that possibly be about?"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The Sun exposing paedophiles to its readers:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Tell you who I am feeling sorry for - and that's all the people who have the same name as the Chief Suspect in the BBC scandal.
I know one and I just looked on FB and there are loads of them. Probably about to have their FBs targeted by numskulls.

Enlighten me as to who it is... Sunday is boring... i probably won't know wtf it is any way. :rolleyes:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Just Another Lurker posted:

Enlighten me as to who it is... Sunday is boring... i probably won't know wtf it is any way. :rolleyes:

I've decided not to name him (I redacted my earlier posts but can't redact where I've been quoted) because it might not be him at all.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I've decided not to name him (I redacted my earlier posts but can't redact where I've been quoted) because it might not be him at all.

No worries, twas requested due to boredom, not intense interest. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Just to re-rail a derial, many years ago (just before the millenium I think?) we got one of the really early digital set top boxes (OnDigital?), before it got killed off, and we had movies on demand (ish). I forget exactly how we paid, but you then got a message saying the movie would start in x minutes. They basically had a number of digital channels for each movie starting every 15 minutes or so, and when you paid your set got the code to let it tune in to the next one to start. It was a bit shonky but it kind of worked.