Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

cash reserves ??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

euphronius posted:

cash reserves ??

Gotta draw down that $1600 somehow.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

raise the rates to 10%, do it you cowards

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/TheEconomist/status/1679280237131997184?s=20

quote:

The email had a businesslike tone. From a “client recruitment director”, it was “reaching out” to offer The Economist services. In the next sentence, the word “leverage” was used as a verb, relating to a “perspective”. It concluded with a question: “Would you be able to hop on a 15-minute call”? Yet it stood out from the guff that clutters journalists’ inboxes for one reason: it came not from an established firm but from an undergraduate economics student at Yale University. The perspective to be “leveraged” was that of “Gen z”, a marketing term for people now aged from roughly 11 to 26. The offer was made on behalf of the Yale Undergraduate Consulting Group, a student club with around 60 members.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Xaris posted:

everyone should yolo, take out as many credit cards and loans as possible, and buy as many big truks and disneyland vacations as possible. completely serious. americans need to c o n s u m e more

do it for your country

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

RandomBlue posted:

do it for your country
that's right. your circus and our profits depends on it

honestly everyone should be YOLO-ing no matter how poor or middle they are -- and they are. which is good.

i was 100% serious that if anyone has any vacationing bucket lists they've always wanted to do, be it venice or getting blackout drunk in berlin clubs, do it sometime now and maximum in the next couple of years

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.9news.com.au/national/working-from-home-public-sector-union/07e98051-6db0-4578-8eab-4345d47f60a5

Working from home now unlimited for those particular workers. There is some nuance to it of course.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

people are dumb enough to pay fortunes on consultants who are freshly minted college grads so why not just go a step further and take the students

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
https://twitter.com/PokerGO/status/1679301752905154560
rip

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

silicone thrills posted:

*clears throat*
*Takes a deep breath*

AHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHHAHAHAHHAHAHHH HHAHHAHAHAH HA HA HA HA HA HA

https://twitter.com/mikecosgrove/status/1676316896621363206

For anyone that didn't know the secret glitch you could get an infinite housing combo chain this way so there are legions of these assholes buying hundreds of thousands of houses globally.

Rectal Death Adept has issued a correction as of 04:03 on Jul 13, 2023

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

my brother’s client wanted to pick up an e-sports team and they brought in our 15 year old gamer nephew to tell them which clans were “cheugy”

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bastard Tetris posted:

my brother’s client wanted to pick up an e-sports team and they brought in our 15 year old gamer nephew to tell them which clans were “cheugy”

I guess FaZe isn’t doing so great post IPO?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Bastard Tetris posted:

The heir to the throne of the roaming Rhullo...

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
bidencomics stays winning

Innocuous
Mar 1, 2003

It's a strange world.

Rectal Death Adept posted:

https://twitter.com/mikecosgrove/status/1676316896621363206

For anyone that didn't know the secret glitch you could get an infinite housing combo chain this way so there are legions of these assholes buying hundreds of thousands of houses globally.

really can't get enough of this content

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Love how fast and how public we get to watch these people make bad investments that pay off due to extremely favorable market conditions, lauding their success and drowning everyone in their bad advice (media amplifying their message), then crater their finances the moment those conditions change, and instantly turn into screeching paupers demanding the government turn them back into winners.

The American Dream

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Yes it is a good story, satisfying to read. Hopefully they don't have a bunch of captive legislators willing to bail them out. Also, I hope the 15 year old consultant got paid something tangible, if not it will be a first lesson in consulting.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Bastard Tetris posted:

cheugonomics

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Xaris posted:

cheugonomics

the next evolution of the chewbacca defense

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

more money than sense

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Xaris posted:

everyone should yolo, take out as many credit cards and loans as possible, and buy as many big truks and disneyland vacations as possible. completely serious. americans need to c o n s u m e more

I got an email from my bank today with the subject line "A personal loan is great for nearly anything".

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

In Training posted:

I got an email from my bank today with the subject line "A personal loan is great for nearly anything".

that's right

the trick is time taking out as many loans as possible but after The System's material base has fractured and decayed too much to utilize the hyper-militarized police for private profit collectioneering. i think the ability for the system to forcefully collect onm debt is already way way weaker than most people think it is and basically a mirage of power projection, but it's not entirely gone... yet

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

lol he looks like poo poo

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Xaris posted:

that's right

the trick is time taking out as many loans as possible but after The System's material base has fractured and decayed too much to utilize the hyper-militarized police for private profit collectioneering. i think the ability for the system to forcefully collect onm debt is already way way weaker than most people think it is and basically a mirage of power projection, but it's not entirely gone... yet

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I was getting two calls a day from debt collectors that as far as I'm concerned is a scam, I don't know what it is for and it matches no bills I have and they have never provided any documentation, and it turns out you can just block the number. My credit score is 800

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

quote:

"As we continue to take lessons from the COVID-19 pandemic, the development of new antibiotics is absolutely essential to help build resilience to respond rapidly to new superbugs and save lives," David Glover, NHS assistant director of medicines analysis, said in an NHS press release. "

COVID was a virus not a bacteria but :ok:

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

FizFashizzle posted:

COVID was a virus not a bacteria but :ok:

We're going to need a shitload of new antibiotics to deal with all the opportunistic infections people's covid-dumpstered immune systems are letting in the door. These resistant strep outbreaks aren't coming from nowhere.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Stereotype posted:

I was getting two calls a day from debt collectors that as far as I'm concerned is a scam, I don't know what it is for and it matches no bills I have and they have never provided any documentation, and it turns out you can just block the number. My credit score is 800

I had people calling for my uncle and made sure to leave my name and my address on the voicemail, and my mom and sister got the same.

It's awesome the phone system is unusable and people can just use a database to menace you whenever they want.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

The Oldest Man posted:

We're going to need a shitload of new antibiotics to deal with all the opportunistic infections people's covid-dumpstered immune systems are letting in the door. These resistant strep outbreaks aren't coming from nowhere.

I've not heard of treatment resistant strep so much as I've heard about shortages of medications that treat it like Amoxicillin

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

had a problem getting that for my younger son who had an bacterial infection. it was awesome.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Bastard Tetris posted:

So the same thing millennials did with irony, only its 90s and 2000s instead of the 80s?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

FizFashizzle posted:

I've not heard of treatment resistant strep so much as I've heard about shortages of medications that treat it like Amoxicillin

wait is amoxicillin really in shortage? lol we're hosed. i used to be able to buy that just off amazon en mass. used to get awful chronic ear infections, at least it's gone away as i've got older

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

I haven't heard about any issues with antibiotic supply in the UK recently, but I work quite a ways from the acute frontline. one of the advantages of the NHS is its ability to negotiate decent prices with pharma companies (despite some of the poo poo the Tories tried to pull under Cameron with cancer drugs), plus it doesn't have the American obsession with everything being new and shiny so we're happy with 50-year-old antibiotics that cost pennies per tablet

but the UK has had big problems with multi-resistant bacteria like MRSA over the last few decades and while we've got better at antibiotic stewardship (i.e. not just throwing amoxicillin at anyone with a cough) globablly it's an increasing problem and now that so many people can't see primary care we're probably going to see a surge in people ordering antibiotics off the internet.

I'll have to look into the specifics of that deal but in principle locking in a decent price for a novel antibiotic seems sensible

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Some people are allergic to pills that end in 'cillin
they rely on the sulfa drugs that pharmacists be fillin'

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

palindrome posted:

Some people are allergic to pills that end in 'cillin
they rely on the sulfa drugs that pharmacists be fillin'

penisillin

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

during a particularly mentally ill period of my life i watched literally every one of these episodes from start to finish

it's surprisingly compelling stuff

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Knight posted:

Love how fast and how public we get to watch these people make bad investments that pay off due to extremely favorable market conditions, lauding their success and drowning everyone in their bad advice (media amplifying their message), then crater their finances the moment those conditions change, and instantly turn into screeching paupers demanding the government turn them back into winners.

The American Dream
worked for goldman sachs

skill issue

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

hobbesmaster posted:

I guess FaZe isn’t doing so great post IPO?

they went against my nephew’s advice and signed FaZe lol

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

Xaris posted:

that's right

the way to do this is by setting up a shell company to be the legal entity that incurs the debt. don't do it under your own name

religious nonprofits are also excellent vehicles for getting free money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Shear Modulus posted:

lol he looks like poo poo

he's stupid. you don't go all in there.