Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Does steam have any sort of queue system? Between the steam summer sale and the recent Humble cyberpunk bundle, I've got a grip of games I want to play through. It would be nice to be able to make a "Play Next" queue to keep track of things and sort of help plan that to play.

That's what I use my Favorites for. What's installed, what's up next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Giggy posted:

Are there any easy guides on how to go about torrenting :filez: for a new steam deck user?

Transmission can be used for Bitorrent. Probably the best choice IMHO.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

gee whiz i hope fedex delivers my deck. it kind of seems like they're not going to. there's a lot of construction in my neighborhood so the driver would have to park around the corner and walk as far as 200 feet to my house and yesterday they didn't bother. one of the support people i talked to said that this is a normal part of the driver's job but i've never seen one of these guys walk further than whatever distance they can throw the package onto the porch from. apparently it's impossible to redirect it to a pickup location and i'm worried they'll just keep marking it as undeliverable until they send it back to valve. frustrating to be like "please deliver my package" and the parcel service is like "nah"

Giggy
Jan 22, 2010

alexandriao posted:

Transmission can be used for Bitorrent. Probably the best choice IMHO.

I did a bit already after browsing some reddit posts. I already have Q Bit and Wine downloaded but am having trouble cause I know nothing about Linux or how wine works. For instance, set up DE as a test and got it open after the installation, I was satisfied and closed out the window and now I can't seem to get it open again or even find the .exe file (at least I'm not sure if I can find it). I was just wondering if there's any reliable up-to-date guide for someone who sort of knows what they're doing on a PC but not the deck.

Giggy fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jul 13, 2023

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Cmon you don’t just say you’re stealing games you call them Linux ISOs and use the :filez: emote

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Defending how windows does literally anything is pretty drat cringe

Weird, since you've spent most of this thread talking about how much better the Deck is with Windows available on it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Weedle posted:

gee whiz i hope fedex delivers my deck. it kind of seems like they're not going to. there's a lot of construction in my neighborhood so the driver would have to park around the corner and walk as far as 200 feet to my house and yesterday they didn't bother. one of the support people i talked to said that this is a normal part of the driver's job but i've never seen one of these guys walk further than whatever distance they can throw the package onto the porch from. apparently it's impossible to redirect it to a pickup location and i'm worried they'll just keep marking it as undeliverable until they send it back to valve. frustrating to be like "please deliver my package" and the parcel service is like "nah"

My friend ordered a Deck last week and it says it should be delivered today to my address. Says it should be delivered at 2:30pm. Which is in less than an hour. It’s not even on a truck yet. FedEx is the absolute worst.

Anyway. Is there a tool or program or something to manage saves for those older games that don’t have cloud saves between PC and Deck?

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Does steam have any sort of queue system? Between the steam summer sale and the recent Humble cyberpunk bundle, I've got a grip of games I want to play through. It would be nice to be able to make a "Play Next" queue to keep track of things and sort of help plan that to play.

You can create a collection called "Games to Try" or "Backlog" or whatever and just remove games from it after you're done with them.

And you can add games to multiple collections, so it won't mess with any organization system you already have.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

My friend ordered a Deck last week and it says it should be delivered today to my address. Says it should be delivered at 2:30pm. Which is in less than an hour. It’s not even on a truck yet. FedEx is the absolute worst.

i gotta say i've never in my life received a fedex tracking number and thought "i will definitely receive this package"

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Quixzlizx posted:

Weird, since you've spent most of this thread talking about how much better the Deck is with Windows available on it.

If you want to play Destiny 2 on the deck, you need Windows. This speaks to the power of a good game (Destiny 2) over the OS you need to use for it (Windows).

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

If you want to play Destiny 2 on the deck, you need Windows. This speaks to the power of a good game (Destiny 2) over the OS you need to use for it (Windows).

I just pay for GFN (I’m still on the $5 tier) to play it on the deck.

Or I also use the ally but windows blows my rear end on handhelds.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Giggy posted:

I did a bit already after browsing some reddit posts. I already have Q Bit and Wine downloaded but am having trouble cause I know nothing about Linux or how wine works. For instance, set up DE as a test and got it open after the installation, I was satisfied and closed out the window and now I can't seem to get it open again or even find the .exe file (at least I'm not sure if I can find it). I was just wondering if there's any reliable up-to-date guide for someone who sort of knows what they're doing on a PC but not the deck.

If you want to run an EXE, say, the original Cave Story, add it to steam, use the compatibility layer, it's less hassle. Or use Bottles (flatpak) to run Proton.

The exe should be under steamapps/compat and just search for a keyword in Discover to get the path

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Look, if we're back in the early 2000s, let's at least have an interesting debate and discuss if BSD is dead yet, how to get Flash on Mozilla or when Enlightenment/E will reach 1.0.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

FishMcCool posted:

Look, if we're back in the early 2000s, let's at least have an interesting debate and discuss if BSD is dead yet, how to get Flash on Mozilla or when Enlightenment/E will reach 1.0.

BSD is pretty good tho. FreeBSD particularly has amazing documentation

Enlightment is an Ok desktop aside from the occasional crash, but like, there's only one person full time paid to work on it so, lmao

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

NGL trying to pirate stuff on the deck is probably way more hassle than it’s worth especially considering my game library is ridiculous at this point.

ROMs on the other hand…

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Lmao Destiny 2 is worse than Destiny 1, and that's saying a lot.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

alexandriao posted:

I've been a Linux user for ages and I buy Thinkpads and they suit my needs which include creative interests.

My main laptop is an old T430, which I’ve added 16 GB of Ram an SSD and a 94whr battery. If Proton could run ZBrush and my old copy of CS5, I’d consider switching from win 10 to Linux.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Annath posted:

You’re not wrong but Destiny 1 is a fever dream and not real at this point.

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021
I have these two air bubble-looking spots on the screen of my Deck. From the little bit of sleuthing I did, this seems to be a problem with certain batches of the 512GB units where the glue used on the etched glass screens wasn't proofed properly and it reacts badly to heat/stress.

Has anyone had similar issues? Were you able to fix it yourself? I bought my Deck in May last year, so I'm pretty sure I'm out of the free RMA window.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Trucker Hat posted:

I have these two air bubble-looking spots on the screen of my Deck. From the little bit of sleuthing I did, this seems to be a problem with certain batches of the 512GB units where the glue used on the etched glass screens wasn't proofed properly and it reacts badly to heat/stress.

Has anyone had similar issues? Were you able to fix it yourself? I bought my Deck in May last year, so I'm pretty sure I'm out of the free RMA window.

Are you sure they are air bubbles? My 512gb unit had issues with spots on the screen but it turned out to be skin oils reacting with the matte screen. Wiping down the screen with a very small amount of alcohol on a microfiber cloth cleared it right up. If you have screen cleaner wipes that would probably be the easiest solution.

If you have actual bubbles then rma that thing asap.

edit:

CRAYON posted:

Just an FYI in case anyone else with the 512GB has what appear to be 'bubbles' show up on their screen:

Apparently in some cases it's just a residue on the screen from manufacturing and can be removed with isopropyl alcohol. One recently showed up on my deck and following the above guide took care of it right away. Wonder how many people RMA'd their device for what turned out to just be a dirty screen.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

tango alpha delta posted:

My main laptop is an old T430, which I’ve added 16 GB of Ram an SSD and a 94whr battery. If Proton could run ZBrush and my old copy of CS5, I’d consider switching from win 10 to Linux.

As I understand it CS5 is well supported under Wine, but lol if anyone's updated the database article for it. I'd give it a shot, because there's nothing to lose either way :)

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Weedle posted:

How far away is the FedEx depot? I ended up driving out to the airport to pick my Steamdeck up because FedEx was going to drop it off after it cleared customs without requiring a signature. gently caress that.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

alexandriao posted:

If I really had to work with a Mac I'd buy an M1, because while I'm not a fan of the OS (How the utter gently caress do you break copy and paste. How. I just Do Not even,) for many reasons, you cannot deny that the M1 is superior to pretty much any Windows-vendored device on the market.

Genuinely curious, how is Copy/Paste broken?

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Just went through a lot of trouble to start modding New Vegas on my deck only to be stymied by need to make an account to download mods from nexus. I’ve got a broken brain and too many accounts to keep track of already.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

ConanThe3rd posted:

Genuinely curious, how is Copy/Paste broken?

Back in 2016 I had to use it for work and id constantly copy something from Firefox or Chrome to ITerm2 or to/from hipchat, etc. and it would have copied something random at some point in the day and m insist on pasting that and only that.

At one point it happened during pair programming and the senior and I chuckled about it for a second, I tried to copy something else and definitely clicked "copy", and pasted again and oops, not the thing I copied at all.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

RandolphCarter posted:

Just went through a lot of trouble to start modding New Vegas on my deck only to be stymied by need to make an account to download mods from nexus. I’ve got a broken brain and too many accounts to keep track of already.

Use a password manager. Bitwarden is available everywhere.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

tango alpha delta posted:

How far away is the FedEx depot? I ended up driving out to the airport to pick my Steamdeck up because FedEx was going to drop it off after it cleared customs without requiring a signature. gently caress that.

it's not that far, i've been there before to sort out a shipment for work. how did you get them to let you pick it up there? i keep telling the support people i'm more than willing to do that but so far it hasn't been an option

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Few posts back, Deck can be absolutely used for productivity software as long as it's linux based. You just need a pair of cool sunglasses to wear while using it like that.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Weedle posted:

it's not that far, i've been there before to sort out a shipment for work. how did you get them to let you pick it up there? i keep telling the support people i'm more than willing to do that but so far it hasn't been an option

I brought my drivers license, but any photo id should work. They were really good about pulling the package off the truck and handing it off to me. I think they were really cooperative because I always make it a point to always treat customer service respectfully.

Metric Skeleton
Apr 6, 2006
NEVER
If I want to have EmulationStation on my Deck so that I launch that and then can select games out of their respective console libraries what’s the best way to accomplish that? I very specifically do not want individual tiles for individual ROMs in my Steam library, I want one thing that I launch and then pick old console games out of. Is my use case still emudeck…? I can’t really tell and I don’t want to risk attempting the process if it’s gonna poo poo a million SNES games everywhere.

(Yes I know I don’t need all those games, but no, it’s not easier to curate libraries when you have a terabyte of microSD space to work with. I’d rather just have it all there.)

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Metric Skeleton posted:

If I want to have EmulationStation on my Deck so that I launch that and then can select games out of their respective console libraries what’s the best way to accomplish that? I very specifically do not want individual tiles for individual ROMs in my Steam library, I want one thing that I launch and then pick old console games out of. Is my use case still emudeck…? I can’t really tell and I don’t want to risk attempting the process if it’s gonna poo poo a million SNES games everywhere.

(Yes I know I don’t need all those games, but no, it’s not easier to curate libraries when you have a terabyte of microSD space to work with. I’d rather just have it all there.)

Install Emudeck, it'll let you do exactly that. After installing everything in the Emudeck launcher, there's the Steam ROM Manager to decide what you want to import into Steam as 3rd-party games. It can just be EmulationStation - and in fact, I think it might add EmulationStation by default (I could be wrong though). I personally added Metroid Prime Trilogy and Smash Brothers to Steam, and then everything else (especially the shitload of Genesis and SNES roms) I just play through EmulationStation.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jul 13, 2023

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

You only get the roms added to steam if you go out of your way to add them with steam Rom manager

That said, if you DO add them to steam it adds them to collections per-system anyway so you can just load them from those collections and skip opening emulation station to pick a system

Metric Skeleton
Apr 6, 2006
NEVER
Awesome. Thanks as always!

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Macichne Leainig posted:

A file explorer that isn't complete dog poo poo...

I use both a Mac (for work) and a Windows PC and both have things going for them. But please tell me there is a hidden file explorer I am not aware of and you are not talking about the abomination they call the Finder.

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021

CRAYON posted:

Are you sure they are air bubbles? My 512gb unit had issues with spots on the screen but it turned out to be skin oils reacting with the matte screen. Wiping down the screen with a very small amount of alcohol on a microfiber cloth cleared it right up. If you have screen cleaner wipes that would probably be the easiest solution.

If you have actual bubbles then rma that thing asap.

edit:

drat dude you just saved me a big headache, thank you!

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

FedEx sucks.
Their tracking is poo poo tier.
I've had packages go from being delivered tomorrow to put for delivery to late to my doorstep with an email and then I get the note it's delayed again while it's in my hand.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Schrodinger's delivery status

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Annath posted:

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Hopper posted:

I use both a Mac (for work) and a Windows PC and both have things going for them. But please tell me there is a hidden file explorer I am not aware of and you are not talking about the abomination they call the Finder.

Weird way to write Explorer.exe friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

FishMcCool posted:

alexandriao posted:

Use a password manager. Bitwarden is available everywhere.

Squiggle posted:

Install Emudeck, it'll let you do exactly that. After installing everything in the Emudeck launcher, there's the Steam ROM Manager to decide what you want to import into Steam as 3rd-party games. It can just be EmulationStation - and in fact, I think it might add EmulationStation by default (I could be wrong though). I personally added Metroid Prime Trilogy and Smash Brothers to Steam, and then everything else (especially the shitload of Genesis and SNES roms) I just play through EmulationStation.

Just wanted to quote some good posts here that people should see again.