Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

It's not like Putin's Russia being extremely anti-LBGTQ is new in any way. I don't expect this to change anyone's mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

One of the few regrets I have is that I didn't buy that Putin in drag makeup T-shirt the last time I was in Tallinn before COVID-19.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/apr/06/russia-bans-picture-of-vladimir-putin-in-drag

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

beer_war posted:

It's not like Putin's Russia being extremely anti-LBGTQ is new in any way. I don't expect this to change anyone's mind.

Will just increase the support from the Republican voters and put more pressure on the politicians to end support of Ukraine.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Tigey posted:

Yeah, 'denazifying' by adopting similar tactics to the nazis - in that during a losing war they massively ramp up the victimisation and persecution of an already heavily marginalised and vulnerable segment of their own population - primarily due to the fact that the West is perceived to 'care' about that group.

At 'best', its a horrifyingly cynical attempt to try to exert some kind of pressure or leverage by 'hostage taking', and maybe get some kind of concessions. And at worst, its an act of sheer malice and spite - directing their impotent rage at their own weakness and inability to win militarily toward an innocent group that has nothing to do with the war.

gently caress Putin and everyone who supports him.

Pretty much just malice and spite and infection of western right wing narratives - Putin namedropped JK Rowling and her "persecution" last year

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Warbadger posted:

Timed fuses programmed as they're fired seems to be the preferred way - so not far off from what you're suggesting.

The mad scientists at Rheinmetall go one further, they set the primer as the shell is leaving the barrel so the speed of the round (never exactly possible to predict) can be taken into consideration.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

CeeJee posted:

The mad scientists at Rheinmetall go one further, they set the primer as the shell is leaving the barrel so the speed of the round (never exactly possible to predict) can be taken into consideration.

Are the WW2 era type VT proximity fuses too large for the ammo and/or obsolete for anti drone work?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Anti-imperialist goals achieved

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

zone posted:

:wtc:
How do peoples' brains become this broken, just loving how

I think that the secret ingredient to a substantial part of far left and far right people's politics is just contrarianism. A pathological need to be opposed to whatever the mainstream consensus at the time, because it makes them feel like the smartest person in the room. The politics are then used post-hoc to justify that, although probably not consciously. You never see these people just support Russia, it is almost invariably packaged by a whole host of other contrarian-born views like being antivax.

This is why you can see Marxists and other far lefties supporting a imperialist, colonial genocidal war of aggression by a fascist revanchist government. Because it is so obviously evil, and that is the unanimous view of mainstream society on both sides of the political divide. Because most people believe it, it must surely be wrong.

And because these people just feed on contrarianism, they are extremely vocal about it. They are by and large also extremely online, so their voices are disproportionately present in online discourse.

That is not to say that all far lefties are motivated by contrarianism, or even a majority. I know quite a few Marxists and other far lefty types, and all of them are staunchly pro-Ukraine - Because being anti-fascist war of subjugation is obviously in line with these ideals. But these are thoughtful and intelligent people who aren't motivated primarily by contrarianism.

Geisladisk fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Jul 14, 2023

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

If people are Pro-russia they must have already became OK with the targeted genocide of a civilian populace so a genoicide against LGBTQ people is not going to bother them.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Geisladisk posted:

I think that the secret ingredient to a substantial part of far left and far right people's politics is just contrarianism.

its literally 100% contrarianism every step of the way

I hate present times

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

hemale in pain posted:

If people are Pro-russia they must have already became OK with the targeted genocide of a civilian populace so a genoicide against LGBTQ people is not going to bother them.

Again, never underestimate the ability to still consider Ukraine the evil party based on the absolute power of "Amerikkka Bad".

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Geisladisk posted:

I think that the secret ingredient to a substantial part of far left and far right people's politics is just contrarianism. A pathological need to be opposed to whatever the mainstream consensus at the time, because it makes them feel like the smartest person in the room. The politics are then used post-hoc to justify that, although probably not consciously. You never see these people just support Russia, it is almost invariably packaged by a whole host of other contrarian-born views like being antivax.

This is why you can see Marxists and other far lefties supporting a imperialist, colonial genocidal war of aggression by a fascist revanchist government. Because it is so obviously evil, and that is the unanimous view of mainstream society on both sides of the political divide. Because most people believe it, it must surely be wrong.

And because these people just feed on contrarianism, they are extremely vocal about it. They are by and large also extremely online, so their voices are disproportionately present in online discourse.

That is not to say that all far lefties are motivated by contrarianism, or even a majority. I know quite a few Marxists and other far lefty types, and all of them are staunchly pro-Ukraine - Because being anti-fascist war of subjugation is obviously in line with these ideals. But these are thoughtful and intelligent people who aren't motivated primarily by contrarianism.

This was absolutely me in high school. Thankfully I grew up.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Ikasuhito posted:

Very much one of those "not even living on the same planet" takes. Russia has shown for the past 500+ days that any move like this is laughably outside their abilites. Not only could they not beat NATO, I think they would get crushed. It wouldn't even be close.

Russia would lose extremely badly to just Finland, or Poland

All of NATO would be a hilarious stomp like the Gulf War

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It's pretty funny that all of the Russian hyper manly traditional values Christian army could be destroyed in an instant by one US zoomer catgirl pressing a button.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Geisladisk posted:

That fits. An old friend of mine is staunchly pro-Putin; he's always had a Thing about bring the smartest guy in the room , the one who really sees what is actually going on. Et cetera.
Certainly puts in a new light his 15 years of getting fired for Boldly Telling the Truth in every workplace he's been in. Hmmm.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

BREAKING: America betrays Ukraine by providing lend lease weapons to Russia

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

It's very hapsburgian to have like 35 different ammo types

Can't remember what happened to their military structure

my man have you seen Prigozhin's jaw?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

But WHAT about AMERICAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

But WHAT about AMERICAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Don't worry, some states are working to be at parity with Russia on this issue.

Which just shows that America Bad!

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Ah but you see senior Azov commander @hitler88 also hates trans people so who is to say if Russia is good or bad.

And also the IMF. if the ukronazis don't surrender soon, the globalist bankers will swoop in and haul away the entire country, you see. Just devastating. It's deeply immoral to continue resisting.

Btw the holodomor never happened, wikipedia is controlled by the bilderbergers and IMF stooges, china's mandatory vocational training program for the Uyghurs is completely not done under coercion and at gunpoint. I'm very smart. *puffs imaginary pipe*.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
You see this contrarianism with a lot of old hippies and increasingly old punks. They seem like reasonable enough people when the topic was, say, the War on Terror or drug decriminalisation but it turns out that they don't actually hold any sincere beliefs.

I've not seen any wild tankie takes in "real-life" because I tend to not associate with these people any more.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

big day for drones cameras getting shot at by poo poo

https://i.imgur.com/LpcZ0th.mp4

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jul 14, 2023

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Tiny Timbs posted:

big day for drones getting shot at by poo poo

https://i.imgur.com/LpcZ0th.mp4

Would rule if it spun around and the excavator attacked

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

boofhead posted:

Prigozhin seized the nuclear sub fleet while everyone was watching the march on Moscow. he's already half colonised Antarctica with his all-male army of convict settlers, and 200 years from now their parthenogenetic descendants will make the internet so thoroughly unpleasant that the whole world unanimously decides to switch it off and go back to reading shampoo labels on the shitter

the locals call him Penguiozhin

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Broke brained tankie centric leftists also seen to forget that Russia is the CSAM capital of the world.

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

NihilCredo posted:

Wouldn't going back to old-style timed fuzes be quite effective against drones? Much like early 20th century aircraft, they are slow, fragile, and fly at low altitude, so I would guess they can be taken down by airbursts pretty well? The fancy sensor suite you mentioned will be needed to spot and target the drat thing, but the ammunition ought to be as cheap as possible.

I guess if Raytheon actually puts into production that laser-based system of theirs, that would be the winner. Surely it'll be expensive as hell to buy and maintain, but it ought to shoot down swarms of even Mavics for a negligible marginal cost.

/armchair
Time fuzed ammo was re-born a couple decades ago and is scary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZD5zFN-rps

note, nothing in this video is new, it's 10 or 20 years old

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Broke brained tankie centric leftists also seen to forget that Russia is the CSAM capital of the world.

CSAM mods knew

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Explains why Ritter went there

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1679841114784768001?s=20

Russia isn't sending their best.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

beer_war posted:

Russia isn't sending their best.

That's because their best either fled the country or were already sent to Ukraine and turned into a fine mist.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Well depending on if the vdv is allowed to surrender we could be seeing it encircled with supply corridors Under fire control

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

russia will strike fear into the hearts of nato by demonstrating their new decimation weapon outside their embassies

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

CannonFodder posted:

I think what makes the new paradigm of small quadcopters used as recon drones and occasional "drop a grenade" drone so effective is that it is difficult to detect and then precisely locate them. Now, once that hurdle has been passed, and the anti-quad-copter-drone laser operator could properly put the laser on target, then yeah it would work.

And I know that top scientists in the US MIC are getting paid bank to figure this out. However, when a grunt-proof system of this arrives, it would still be super expensive, much like using a $250k missile to take out a $400 drone and miss because the operator did the "wait wait wait MOVE" tactic.

Except drones (aside from electromagnetic radiation) are nearly indistinguishable from birds. You'd make a fancy system that most of the time is wasting ammo into the sky shooting at birds (which aren't even real anyways).

Come to think of it a russian system wasting ammo shooting at make believe targets does sound pretty plausible...

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I don't think it'll be armed until it goes BWFOOP so it's fine.

Then again I guess it's a Russian grenade-thrower so :shrug:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

OAquinas posted:

Don't worry, some states are working to be at parity with Russia on this issue.

Which just shows that America Bad!

There's a reason the GOP likes Russia, and its not because its Russia.

Its because they have a common hypermasculine christofascist interest.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the russians are having pretty good results w electronic warfare, jamming and the like, nearly all the ukrainian losses are from that. this gives me the depressing certitude that autonomous drones are inevitable as part of that arms race

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

The command of the Black Sea Fleet issued a warning to seamen about the danger of mines on the shipping route in the northwestern part of the Black Sea - Russian Defense Ministry

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

bob dobbs is dead posted:

autonomous drones are inevitable as part of that arms race

This has been true for a while.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
to the best of my knowledge in the clear, they havent taken that final step of making the drone figure out targets yet. but they will.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Ukraine already have had some Brimstones which can do target selection based on some sort of database of possible targets for its milliwave radar. Plus Brimstone supports salvo fire where multiple missiles talk to each other to ensure they don't pick the same targets.

Autonomous target selection is how Ukraine have had to use them; without integration to a plane it's been ground launched out of visual range in the general direction of Russian hardware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

CommieGIR posted:

There's a reason the GOP likes Russia, and its not because its Russia.

Its because they have a common hypermasculine christofascist interest.

It's this^

The Russian regime doesn't support the GOP because they are mastermind trolls or something: they genuinely believe the same insane Nazi poo poo that white masculinity is dying and they must save the world from ???

They are true believer nutcases themselves